Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2019, 08:56   #12061
ike
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
https://localnews.manoramaonline.com...ad-camera.html

The number of signals are a pain though. But you can "compensate" for it before the next camera
The article says time taken between 2 cameras would also be considered. I was on this stretch twice last week with the cruise set at 95Kmph. Not sure how many cameras I provoked
Old 1st June 2019, 12:58   #12062
Senior - BHPian

Did a Bangalore-Calicut drive via Salem-Palakkad yesterday. Route taken beyond Palakkad was my current favourite, Palakkad-Mundur-Thiruvazhiyode-Perinthalmanna-Manjery-Arekode-Calicut. I entered Kerala at around 10 PM and reached Calicut by 1 AM.

The main point of concern for me was the Mundur-Thiruvazhiyode-Perinthalmanna which was already in bad shape at places, extensively damaged during last year's floods and left unattended for several months. This section has been completely restored now. Not a single pothole, and even the 13 km Kongad-Mangalamkunnu section that was in disrepair for many years prior is in great condition.

One downside of this (and perhaps the time of my travel) is that a lot of trucks now take this route - earlier they used to take only the main NH 213 between Palakkad and Calicut (there used to be local self-help groups that would discourage them from taking this route stationed at Mundur; but I imagine even they give up after a certain time). Still, no car carriers; just 2-3 axle trucks and none larger.

This leads to another problem - as we know, this road is fairly narrow (at places not even the bare-minimum 7.5 metres) and twisty; and now we have a lot of trucks parked on the shoulder space of this road, often partly on the main carriageway itself. These trucks are a danger and one should be on the lookout for them.

Rest was all a breeze. Had heavy rains between Thiruvazhiyode and Anakkayam so progress was a bit slow. Practically all the towns and villages were active due to Ramzan - so no issues at all for tea/snacks etc.
binand is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 10:15   #12063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
One downside of this (and perhaps the time of my travel) is that a lot of trucks now take this route - earlier they used to take only the main NH 213 between Palakkad and Calicut
It is not the time of travel; I have noticed this even during the morning to mid-afternoon time as well (1000Hrs to 1300Hrs). This road is now too good and truckers find it much easier than the highway which goes through the more trickier Mannarkkad ghat section road. And these trucks do cause problems; slow moving and the narrow roads also make over taking difficult.
Old 11th June 2019, 21:02   #12064
Senior - BHPian

Friends - got a message from a relative of mine, who is a frequent road user. The cameras placed between the state border at Walayar all the way till Wadakkanchery has been now made operational. And "cash prize" distribution also has begun for the enthusiastic and over-speeding road users.
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-nh47.jpg  

Last edited by sachinpk : 11th June 2019 at 21:03. Reason: Not Alathur, but Wadakkanchery
sachinpk is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 08:11   #12065
BHPian

I have always wondered how vehicles registered in other states are fined for over speeding in Kerala. My car is PY registered, if I over speed when I travel in Kerala, do I get the challan in my Pondicherry address? How do they ensure that I pay it? How do the authorities follow it up if someone from another state do not pay? Can they catch them if they return to the state at a later date? Or do they involve the authorities in the state where the vehicle is registered to ensure the fine is paid?
Old 12th June 2019, 10:58   #12066
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparameswaran View Post
I have always wondered how vehicles registered in other states are fined for over speeding in Kerala. My car is PY registered, if I over speed when I travel in Kerala, do I get the challan in my Pondicherry address? How do they ensure that I pay it? How do the authorities follow it up if someone from another state do not pay? Can they catch them if they return to the state at a later date? Or do they involve the authorities in the state where the vehicle is registered to ensure the fine is paid?
I believe the answers are provided by the Vaahan database. Even if one doesn't update one's address in the RC by informing the RTO, while it is true that any challans won't reach your new address - the Vaahan database keeps the outstanding fines stored. The next time a traffic cop stops you, authorities are ensuring that he can see every outstanding challan in the car's list. Or even if the cops don't ever catch you for a routine violation, whenever the time comes for you to do something at the RTO such as transfer of ownership, fitness certification etc. - you'll be made to face a litany of outstanding fines because the car would have been blacklisted.

And yes, the Vaahan database is pan-India. One nation, one database.

Last edited by locusjag : 12th June 2019 at 10:59. Reason: Added an afterthought
locusjag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 11:12   #12067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparameswaran View Post
Till March 2018 Kerala MVD had their own software to manage operations, and even though a challan was never sent for Vehicles registered outside Kerala, all speed violations were being saved. Now that software has been replaced by Vaahan and Sarathi, it would be easy to send a violation notice to anyone in India, and the payment can be made online.
cooljai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 11:38   #12068
BHPian

Hi all,

Need your advice on a trip to Munnar from Pondicherry

1) Which destination would be better in terms of weather conditions in first week of August - Munnar or Thekkady
2) Road conditions from Theni to Club Mahindra (Serene Mount resort) / Club Mahindra resort in Thekkady

TIA
Old 15th June 2019, 17:35   #12069
Senior - BHPian

Seems Kuthiran tunnel is unofficially opened for traffic. There was a Whatsapp video taken by a truck driver when he was driving through it.
Because of a four hour jam, they had to send traffic though the unfinished tunnel.

Here is another video;
Old 15th June 2019, 20:02   #12070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Seems Kuthiran tunnel is unofficially opened for traffic.
As per press reports, it was only done to clear a traffic jam at the Iron Bridge that extended for 8 km. The tunnel was closed as soon the vehicles involved in the accident (two trucks, that ended up blocking the road completely both ways) were cleared from the bridge.

Apparently a complaint has been raised against this action of the local police.
binand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 09:58   #12071
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Apparently a complaint has been raised against this action of the local police.
The police should have stood aside and just watched the fun. The traffic jam would then extend all the way to Wadakkanchery on one side and till Mannuthi on the other side . Generally there is only one highway mobile in the area - Kilo 21; and they just would not be able to clear up this mess all alone.
sachinpk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 21:24   #12072
BHPian

I am planning a road trip to Goa from Thrissur, a couple of months down the line. As I have not driven on this sector for a long time, would appreciate if someone could advise me the road condition. Is it advisable to take a break as I see that Google shows a driving time of almost 15 hrs to cover 680 km, of course Thrissur to Kannur is a bottle neck, and that stretch is almost 8 hrs driving time according to Google. Any advice is welcome. If I have to take a break, is Udipi good?
Old 30th June 2019, 13:26   #12073
BHPian

Hi all,
Planning a Kochi trip through Salem, Palakkad Highway from Bangalore next week. Please let me know anything to watch out for. Any tips etc. Planning to start about 5am.

Additionally, from Kochi to Chengannur, what is the best route at this time? Via Alappuzha, changanassery road is good? Start time 6am.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 1st July 2019, 01:46   #12074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknair View Post
Hi all,
Planning a Kochi trip through Salem, Palakkad Highway from Bangalore next week. Please let me know anything to watch out for. Any tips etc. Planning to start about 5am.

Additionally, from Kochi to Chengannur, what is the best route at this time? Via Alappuzha, changanassery road is good? Start time 6am.

Thanks in advance for your help.
I would suggest that you start a bit early if possible, atleast by 4Am. For Chengannur, I generally take the AC road from Alappuzha, the road is now in very good condition, after extensive repairs post the floods.
cooljai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 07:06   #12075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Friends - got a message from a relative of mine, who is a frequent road user. The cameras placed between the state border at Walayar all the way till Wadakkanchery has been now made operational. And "cash prize" distribution also has begun for the enthusiastic and over-speeding road users.
Yesterday night I watched on a local TV channel, that the cameras are fully operational on the Vadakencherry~Walayar sector and that for a start more than a 1000 vehicles have been billed for over speeding. My last two trips down that route recently, I had observed that quite a few vehicles were crossing me in excessive speeds, and I guess the cameras were off then.
sparky@home is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks