Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2019, 14:33   #12151
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
This is for information, try and avoid driving thru the Kuthiran sector on Pallakad/Thrissur highway. There is traffic pile up everyday. I have posted a photograph from last night traffic jam on the kuthiran secor which was displayed in todays Malayala Manorama paper (Thrissur edition), it quoted the traffic jam was upto 8 hrs. Cheers.
Can you suggest an alternate route to skip Kuthiran mess? I mean if I am coming from Walayar, and want to go to Cochin, is there a deviation to take before Kutiran, so that we can avoid it completely?
Old 30th August 2019, 15:09   #12152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
Can you suggest an alternate route to skip Kuthiran mess? I mean if I am coming from Walayar, and want to go to Cochin, is there a deviation to take before Kutiran, so that we can avoid it completely?
The shortest option is turn right at Alathur and come via Pazhayannur, Chelakkara, Mullurkara, Wadakkancherry and Thrissur. It is 25 kms longer, approx.

Last edited by JohnnyBoss : 30th August 2019 at 15:11.
JohnnyBoss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 21:16   #12153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In general there are these options, when driving Bangalore-Kochi (apart from the NH 544):

1. Earlier I used to take the Gundlupet-Gudalur-Nilambur-Perinthalmanna-Pattambi-Thrissur, but with the Nadugani ghats being destroyed in this year's rains it is mostly out of the question.

2. From Palakkad one could go towards Pattambi and join the above route at Kulapully. This is probably the best of the possibilities now.

3. From Palakkad one could proceed normally but turn off the NH 544 at Alathur and join the above route at Mullurkara. This helps one to take the 4-lane road for a little longer, but the route after turning off is somewhat narrower and tougher to negotiate.

4. One could turn off from NH 544 in TN itself and come via Pollachi-Valparai-Chalakudi. This is much longer and time consuming, but goes through several touristy spots.

If you are already in Walayar take your pick from #2 or #3.
binand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 21:26   #12154
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

3. From Palakkad one could proceed normally but turn off the NH 544 at Alathur and join the above route at Mullurkara. This helps one to take the 4-lane road for a little longer, but the route after turning off is somewhat narrower and tougher to negotiate.
I usually take this route, even if the road is narrow it is rather peaceful compared to the other roads, the traffic is usually light unless you are driving the peak hours. It also helps since my house is between Wadakkanchery & Thrissur.

But it does get inconvenient sometimes, a bus or a truck will hold you up for a while, overtaking requires lot of planning & patience. How is this road post the monsoons?

Last edited by ike : 30th August 2019 at 21:27.
ike is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 09:31   #12155
BHPian

Quote:
I did the kuthiran run yesterday in the evening on my way back from coimbatore, it was slow progress but steady progress, basically the traffic is moving slowly due to the condition of the road. I could cover the stretch in about 20/25 minutes. On my way out yesterday, i did the wadakancherry/chelakkara/pazyannur road to alathur, which was cool, as the traffic is thin, but we had heavy rain throughout, so our speed was slow. This route would definitely add about 20 kms extra on your trip.

Last edited by sparky@home : 31st August 2019 at 09:34. Reason: spelling
sparky@home is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 00:03   #12156

Hi guys I am travelling from Bangalore to Cochin on the 5th of September and I would like to get an updated detail on the conditions of the road. Since I will be driving alone I hope to get the latest information on the condition of the roads. Also it be great to get a fair idea of how much time the route is going to take from Bangalore to Cochin. I plan to start my trip from Bangalore at 3:00 a.m. in the morning. One last thing, being a foodie it would be great if you could mention some of the good food joints I must stop along the way for breakfast and for lunch. Thank you all.
Old 3rd September 2019, 10:10   #12157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmani View Post
Hi guys I am travelling from Bangalore to Cochin on the 5th of September...
I will be driving alone...
get a fair idea of how much time the route is going to take from Bangalore to Cochin...
I plan to start my trip from Bangalore at 3:00 a.m...
some of the good food joints I must stop along the way for breakfast and for lunch.
1. A 3 AM start would let Kerala's notorious daytime traffic to stress you. Please consider if it is worthwhile to start the previous evening; my usual preference is entering Kerala between 8-10 PM and reaching Cochin maybe around 11PM-1AM.

2. The Kuthiran route (the aprpox. 30 km stretch between Alathur-Mannuthy) is your biggest worry; it is a traffic mess and very unpredictable. Please check the status on Google Maps and detour before it is too late (your options are 3-4 posts above this).

3. For solo/nonstop drives, I consider 5.5-6 hours for Bangalore-Palakkad and 3-3.5 hours for Palakkad-Cochin appropriate and safely manageable. Road/toll booth congestion, fuel and food/bio breaks etc. will increase this, of course.

4. I think most food places along this route are utilitarian than gourmet. Just stop at the nearest place suitable for your palate, dietary restrictions and budget when you are hungry. If you start at 3 AM as planned you'd be at Perudurai A2B for breakfast, Thrissur for a mid-morning snack and Cochin for lunch.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 10:24   #12158
Senior - BHPian

My friend has a trip planned to Kochin over month end and he is totally unaware of these routes. He will start from Bangalore in afternoon and make a halt at Salem for the night. He will continue on NH-544 all the way till Kochin the next day. Other than the Kuthiraan mess, any other places to really worry for?
He will be travelling with his family and a solo driver. Is there any safety related concern on the entire route? He will travel only during day time. He will start at around 8AM from Salem and plans to reach Kochin before evening. Is this plan doable?
For the Kuthiraan mess, I have recommended him to take the alternate route mentioned below by adding ~30 extra Kilometers. But from google maps I could see that route actually enters Thrissur city. Is there a faster way to reach Kochin after that? Are the Kuthiraan tunnels opened now?
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 10:41   #12159
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
My friend has a trip planned to Kochin over month end and he is totally unaware of these routes. He will start from Bangalore in afternoon and make a halt at Salem for the night.
Bangalore - Cochin can be done in a day, Unless you have something to attend to in Salem or have somebody on-board who cannot travel for more than a few hours there's no need to break the journey at Salem.

Alternate routes avoiding Kuthiran have been discussed in the few posts above. The NH between Thrissur & Kochi I hear is in pretty bad shape after the monsoons but that is still the best route available. NH17 via kodungaloor is too narrow to be even called an NH and the traffic is frustrating all day. If you start in the afternoon from Bangalore it will be around 21:00 Hrs when you enter Kerala and the local traffic should start thinning down around that time.

Last edited by ike : 3rd September 2019 at 10:43.
ike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 11:16   #12160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He will start from Bangalore in afternoon and make a halt at Salem for the night.
If you start from Bangalore in the afternoon and want to break overnight then Coimbatore, about 4.5-5 hours of driving, is a better choice. The approach road to the city from Neelambur side has some good hotels (I choose Gokulam Park, but there's something for every budget).
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 14:20   #12161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
The NH between Thrissur & Kochi I hear is in pretty bad shape after the monsoons but that is still the best route available.
I did this route last week, and to be honest, it's in decent shape, except some small pot holes here and there.
Repsol is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 17:15   #12162

Thanks Binand. This is great and thanks for the tip on travelling at night, but i was planning to get home in time for lunch. :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
1. A 3 AM start would let Kerala's notorious daytime traffic to stress you. Please consider if it is worthwhile to start the previous evening; my usual preference is entering Kerala between 8-10 PM and reaching Cochin maybe around 11PM-1AM.

2. The Kuthiran route (the aprpox. 30 km stretch between Alathur-Mannuthy) is your biggest worry; it is a traffic mess and very unpredictable. Please check the status on Google Maps and detour before it is too late (your options are 3-4 posts above this).

3. For solo/nonstop drives, I consider 5.5-6 hours for Bangalore-Palakkad and 3-3.5 hours for Palakkad-Cochin appropriate and safely manageable. Road/toll booth congestion, fuel and food/bio breaks etc. will increase this, of course.

4. I think most food places along this route are utilitarian than gourmet. Just stop at the nearest place suitable for your palate, dietary restrictions and budget when you are hungry. If you start at 3 AM as planned you'd be at Perudurai A2B for breakfast, Thrissur for a mid-morning snack and Cochin for lunch.
Old 4th September 2019, 11:20   #12163
Senior - BHPian

Please note KL government has issued gazette notification based on the amended MV Act. Section 177 MV Act; the most commonly used provision will now have a fine of Rs. 500
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4650881 (Let's know the law (Motor Vehicles Act))
Old 4th September 2019, 12:40   #12164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did this route last week, and to be honest, it's in decent shape, except some small pot holes here and there.
Is that NH 544 route you are mentioning here or some other route?
Old 4th September 2019, 12:57   #12165
BHPian

Quote:
Is that NH 544 route you are mentioning here or some other route?
I did the below route:

Bangalore > Krishnagiri > Salem > Coimbatore > Walayar > Thrissur > Angamali > Cochin > Aroor > Cherthala > Alappuzha

I think this route is NH544 only.

Most Viewed