Old 20th November 2019, 16:58   #12271
NGM
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by nischaltopno View Post
T

Open kitchen barbecue -
Anything that you suggest before this place - may be it'll be a bit late for lunch to make it there? Binand has suggested one.
I have not seen good restaurant in this route and cleanliness of toilets is important especially when travelling with family As binand has suggested , it should be okay.
One tip could be park the car near a decent restaurant, check the toilet before you order food

Enjoy your trip.Roads are fine other than regular 2 lane. Drive safely
Old 20th November 2019, 18:24   #12272
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanan.skr View Post
How is the road condition to Munnar? Which is better now? Via Theni/Bodi or Via Udmalpet?
The Bangalore-Munnar thread has updates on both routes, you may get more current updates there
Old 21st November 2019, 00:22   #12273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
I have not seen good restaurant in this route and cleanliness of toilets is important especially when travelling with family As binand has suggested , it should be okay.
One tip could be park the car near a decent restaurant, check the toilet before you order food
Thank you for the suggestion and trick
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
Enjoy your trip.Roads are fine other than regular 2 lane. Drive safely
By looking at the google pics I know I'll surely enjoy the trip - thanks; I am eagerly looking forward for the trip.
2 lane is not an issue, i am a very sedate driver with lots of patient.
Old 21st November 2019, 12:59   #12274
BHPian

I did a Kovai - Kochi - Kovai trip Today. Kuthiran is 80% tarred. The rest 20% they have put band-aids.

There are no potholes as such and did this stretch in 5 minutes record time . I do not think there will be traffic snarls going further unless there is a breakdown of lorries. This route is good to take now.

Towards Thrissur from Kuthiran, they have put band-aids and the diversions are completely tarred till Mannuthy. However, Vadakkancherry -Thrissur has problems here and there as earlier.

Overall, a pleasant journey and surprised to see it tarred

Last edited by deemash : 21st November 2019 at 13:07.
deemash is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 12:32   #12275
Senior - BHPian

Folks

I have planned a trip to Varkala tentatively in the last week of December 2019. Which of the below mentioned routes I should take ? I will be driving from Bangalore by car.

1. Via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Salem, Bhavani, Coimbatore by pass, Palakkad, Thrissur, Kochi, Alappuzha and Kollam

2. Via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Salem, Namakkal, Karur, Dindigul, Madurai, Tirumangalam, Srivilliputtur, Rajapalayam, Shengottai, Thenmala and Chadayamangalam

How are the road conditions in the above 2 route options ?
Old 25th November 2019, 12:39   #12276
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
2. Via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Salem, Namakkal, Karur, Dindigul, Madurai, Tirumangalam, Srivilliputtur, Rajapalayam, Shengottai, Thenmala and Chadayamangalam
Thenmala is the ideal option. Subject to road conditions.

You can find either Punaloor/Ayoor or Madathara option. But the Madathara/Nedumangad road I read is pretty narrow (I dont know). Good to check with others.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 14:00   #12277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nischaltopno View Post
Can anyone help me with the route from Thiruvananthapuram to Theni.

Google is suggesting via Adoor, Ranni, Mundakayam & Kumily (https://goo.gl/maps/QubxEX4FDZgjEAC56).

Though the route looks like having some nice ghat section to enjoy, I have the following to be clarified:
  1. Since I amtravelling with family, what are the food & toilet option(s).
  2. How is the road condition.
  3. It'll be the first time I'll be driving in Kerala - need inputs on the general road users and the way they drive (local/KSRTC buses, commercial vehicles, etc.)
If you want to avoid ghat section roads, you could do a highway trip crossing over to TN through Nagercoil and then head to Theni. Distance might be longer but time would be more or less the same i reckon. Not scenic though

TVM-NGL would be a pain unless you do an early morning or late night drive. But once you get onto the TN main highway it's a breeze. Good wide roads, less traffic, good places to eat etc etc oh and of course tolls!
Old 25th November 2019, 14:39   #12278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Folks

I have planned a trip to Varkala tentatively in the last week of December 2019. Which of the below mentioned routes I should take ? I will be driving from Bangalore by car.

1. Via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Salem, Bhavani, Coimbatore by pass, Palakkad, Thrissur, Kochi, Alappuzha and Kollam

How are the road conditions in the above 2 route options ?
Option 2 is better and faster. Road conditions should be Ok. With a 5:00 AM start from Bangalore, option 1 will take around 14.5 hours and option 2 will take around 12.5 hours. Option 2 is scenic and comparatively stress free. Road conditions should be good at this time of the year. Option 2 has some narrow ghat sections near Thenmala which will affect your average speed. Crossing Rajapalayam will take around 20 minutes.
pramodpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 15:52   #12279
BHPian

Please suggest a good road to reach Koothatukulam from Allapuzha, we are driving from Bangalore to Allapuzha on Friday night doing a bit of sight seeing on Saturday and Sunday plan to go to Koothatukulam. Prefer a scenic and good surface road given a choice.
Old 26th November 2019, 21:52   #12280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by majumon View Post
Please suggest a good road to reach Koothatukulam from Allapuzha, we are driving from Bangalore to Allapuzha on Friday night doing a bit of sight seeing on Saturday and Sunday plan to go to Koothatukulam. Prefer a scenic and good surface road given a choice.
Alappuzha-Muhamma-Thanneermukkam bund road-Manjoor-Kuravilangad-Koothattukulam is better. Vaikom-Thalayyolaparambu-Piravom road was bad. If you are looking for tourist spots, go via Vaikom-Thalayyolaparambu-Elanji to Koothattukulam. There is "Koorumala" which is a hilltop with a viewpoint.
deepclutch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 11:39   #12281
BHPian

A quick update from my recent Bangalore - Edappally - Coimbatore - Bangalore drive. Only mentioning some key observations.
- One of the smoothest rides I've had through Kuthiran. Road is patched up well. The usual jams can still happen though.
- Was also pleasantly surprised to see the newly laid smooth Thoppur ghat road (especially towards Bangalore).
- I also had a stop over in Coimbatore on my way back. For those of you who drive through Coimbatore to avoid the messy L&T bypass, please note that the road from Ukkadam to Kuniyamuthur is closed (going towards Madukkarai). You need to take a detour around the Ukkadam lake and either join the road back at Kuiyamuthur or at Kovaipudur . I am not sure if this is a day-time-only restriction.
Mnjdnght is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 13:27   #12282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnjdnght View Post
For those of you who drive through Coimbatore to avoid the messy L&T bypass.
How is it to take Coimbatore instead of the bypass around 11am-12pm timeframe? Too congested?
Old 29th November 2019, 14:06   #12283
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
How is it to take Coimbatore instead of the bypass around 11am-12pm timeframe? Too congested?
I don't think it's worth it to go inside the city at that time. Plus, reading the post above regarding some traffic diversion at Ukkadam, it will also slow you down further. Are you driving on a weekday or long/holiday weekend ?

Last edited by NPV : 29th November 2019 at 14:07.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 14:20   #12284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I don't think it's worth it to go inside the city at that time. Plus, reading the post above regarding some traffic diversion at Ukkadam, it will also slow you down further. Are you driving on a weekday or long/holiday weekend ?
Asked for info sake. Not any plan to ride immediate. But regular drives during summer holidays and Diwali time. Mostly weekends.
Old 29th November 2019, 19:58   #12285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnjdnght View Post
A quick update from my recent Bangalore - Edappally - Coimbatore - Bangalore drive. Only mentioning some key observations.
- One of the smoothest rides I've had through Kuthiran. Road is patched up well. The usual jams can still happen though.
- Was also pleasantly surprised to see the newly laid smooth Thoppur ghat road (especially towards Bangalore).
- I also had a stop over in Coimbatore on my way back. For those of you who drive through Coimbatore to avoid the messy L&T bypass, please note that the road from Ukkadam to Kuniyamuthur is closed (going towards Madukkarai). You need to take a detour around the Ukkadam lake and either join the road back at Kuiyamuthur or at Kovaipudur . I am not sure if this is a day-time-only restriction.
Thanks for the latest update. I have a Bangalore <-> Alleppey drive coming up in 2 weeks time. Let's hope for a smooth sail. Will share the status here post my trip.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks