Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2010, 12:07   #1216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Go to Melattoor and drive on to Kalikavu and then onwards to Nilambur and continue. The roads are very good.
Need not go to Perinthalmanna.
Got it but how to go to Melattoor, seeing two routes from Kumaramputhur where we get a Y Fork.

Google shows to take the Perinthalmanna route from Kumaramputhur and take right before Perinthalmanna to Veliyangadi - Pattikkad (take right)- Melattoor but it looks much longer compared to the straight route from Kumaramputhur (Right in Y fork). But not sure such a road exists completely connected (Google is not able to find a complete path).

Also from Pattikkad if we go straight(Keep left in Y fork) to reach Pandikkad which looks again shorter than reaching via Melattoor to Pandikkad to continue to Wandoor - Vadapuram - Nilambur. But If the direct path from Kumaramputhur to Melattoor is possible, then its shortest.
Old 12th April 2010, 12:23   #1217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Got it but how to go to Melattoor, seeing two routes from Kumaramputhur where we get a Y Fork.

Google shows to take the Perinthalmanna route from Kumaramputhur and take right before Perinthalmanna to Veliyangadi - Pattikkad (take right)- Melattoor but it looks much longer compared to the straight route from Kumaramputhur (Right in Y fork). But not sure such a road exists completely connected (Google is not able to find a complete path).

Also from Pattikkad if we go straight(Keep left in Y fork) to reach Pandikkad which looks again shorter than reaching via Melattoor to Pandikkad to continue to Wandoor - Vadapuram - Nilambur. But If the direct path from Kumaramputhur to Melattoor is possible, then its shortest.
Trying to give a quick picto to bring more clarity to what I was trying to explain.

All Roads to Kerala-route.jpg
Old 12th April 2010, 13:50   #1218
Team-BHP Support

I checked with Satguide maps. The road from Mannarkkad to Melatoor is clearly marked. (This is the green coloured route that you marked). But I am not sure of its current status.

Check with others on the thread, else keep both the routes handy and go to Perinthalmanna if required.

The route I used was the one from Melattoor to Kalikkavu and then to Nilambur. I did not go to Wandoor.

The route I took was :

Perinthalmanna (I was coming from Guruvayur) - Melattoor - Kallikavu - Nilmabur - Gudalur.
The roads very good.

Last edited by ampere : 12th April 2010 at 13:54.
Old 12th April 2010, 14:33   #1219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I checked with Satguide maps. The road from Mannarkkad to Melatoor is clearly marked. (This is the green coloured route that you marked). But I am not sure of its current status.

Check with others on the thread, else keep both the routes handy and go to Perinthalmanna if required.

The route I used was the one from Melattoor to Kalikkavu and then to Nilambur. I did not go to Wandoor.

The route I took was :

Perinthalmanna (I was coming from Guruvayur) - Melattoor - Kallikavu - Nilmabur - Gudalur.
The roads very good.
Thanks Ampere, hope the Wildlife and green driving is from Vazhikadavu till Gundulpet and which I should reserve 2 hours(around 70KM) rit?. My friend's family would be able to help me with routes from Kanjirappuzha to Nilambur since it is within 80KM radius to them.

HVK or other hardcore travellers, any idea on this stretch?
Old 12th April 2010, 14:42   #1220
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ampere, hope the Wildlife and green driving is from Vazhikadavu till Gundulpet and which I should reserve 2 hours(around 70KM) rit?. My friend's family would be able to help me with routes from Kanjirappuzha to Nilambur since it is within 80KM radius to them.

What i remember is Vazhikkadavu-Gudallur ~50, so till Gundalpett it will be ~100
Wildlife sightings will be on Gudallur-Gundalpet route
Old 12th April 2010, 14:55   #1221
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I can vouch for Melattoor to Nilambur and then onwards to Gudalur, Bandipur. Very nice roads. Only point Till Bandipur you wont get anything to eat. The first restaurant is the Jungle Lodges (Pugmark) at Bandipur. Hence plan accordingly.

And Bandipur section is closed from 9PM to 6AM.
Old 12th April 2010, 15:18   #1222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
Wildlife sightings will be on Gudallur-Gundalpet route
So I have to reach Gudalur before Sun hit hard, may be 8AM atleast? If time permits, i could visit Needle rock view point is 7KM in Ooty route from Gudalur. Also a stop in Mudumalai would be worth (though i visited sometime back, my son might enjoy it).

Quote:
Very nice roads. Only point Till Bandipur you wont get anything to eat. The first restaurant is the Jungle Lodges (Pugmark) at Bandipur. Hence plan accordingly.And Bandipur section is closed from 9PM to 6AM.
I plan to travel early and expect to be out of Gundulpet by noon so no issues. Regarding food, Nilambur doesn't have any decent hotels so that I could finish an early breakfast (7AM) and proceed?
Old 12th April 2010, 15:28   #1223
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I plan to travel early and expect to be out of Gundulpet by noon so no issues. Regarding food, Nilambur doesn't have any decent hotels so that I could finish an early breakfast (7AM) and proceed?
Only in the Nadugani ghat section (Between Nilambur to Gudalur) you can find some pot holes. Apart from that the roads are good.
I did not remember seeing any restaurant in these places. You may find a road side stalls, but I am not sure of a decent hotel.
Old 12th April 2010, 15:36   #1224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding food, Nilambur doesn't have any decent hotels so that I could finish an early breakfast (7AM) and proceed?
Nilambur does have food options. It is a thickly populated town and you would fine quite a few decent restaurants. I have had biryani there, but don't remember the name of hotel. 7AM may be too early, but I think you would find hotels open at that time.

The stretch between Gudalur and Nilambur do not have many options for food.

Last edited by sbraj : 12th April 2010 at 15:37.
Old 13th April 2010, 09:00   #1225
Team-BHP Support

@Jacs,

You may want to check the BLR-Guruvayur thread. Thats where I got my details of the route between BLR-Guruvayur via Mysore/Nilambur.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-required.html
Old 13th April 2010, 10:20   #1226
Senior - BHPian

Sure Ampere, i'm going through this thread too.

BTW our fellow BHPian MudMover does regular trips this route as his In-Laws are in Nilambur. Just back from a Cochin trip via Nilambur, he updated the roads are in the best ever condition compared to past .

Now I'm excited and eagerly waiting for the next weekend.
Old 13th April 2010, 10:28   #1227
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sure Ampere, i'm going through this thread too.

BTW our fellow BHPian MudMover does regular trips this route as his In-Laws are in Nilambur. Just back from a Cochin trip via Nilambur, he updated the roads are in the best ever condition compared to past .

Now I'm excited and eagerly waiting for the next weekend.
Oh yes. They are very good and very-very scenic too !
Just need to take care of food options.
Old 13th April 2010, 11:07   #1228
Senior - BHPian

jacs, when are you traveling? I am starting from Bangalore tomorrow morning at 6AM towards Mannarkad through Nilambur. Hope to reach Mannarkad by about 2PM.
Old 13th April 2010, 11:11   #1229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
jacs, when are you traveling? I am starting from Bangalore tomorrow morning at 6AM towards Mannarkad through Nilambur. Hope to reach Mannarkad by about 2PM.
I would be coming to Mannarkkad on 25th morning and start from there on 26th morning. Wish you a nice journey Vasoo, do post the updates once back from the trip, especially about some hotels around Nilambur .
Old 16th April 2010, 12:00   #1230
Senior - BHPian

I did the trip from Bangalore to a place near Mannarkad and then from there to Kottayam. Took the following route. Bangalore > Mysore > Gudallur > Nilambur > Wandoor > Pandikkad > Melattoor > Alanallur > Bheemanad > Kodakkad > Destination. Roads are decent on most places. Took lunch from a KTDC restaurant a couple kms before Nilambur, called Tamarind. Good parking space and visible from main road. Food was ok, not great though.

From there to Kottayam, the following route was taken. Kottapuram > Thiruvazhiyode > Cherplassery > Ananganadi > Vaniyamkulam > Kulappully > Shornur Bye-pass > Thrissur town > Angamali > Muvattupuzha > Kottayam. Lot of works/diversions between Thrissur and Angamali. Good roads from there till Muvattupuzha. Decent roads from there to KTYM.

Last edited by vasoo : 16th April 2010 at 12:04.

Most Viewed