Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2020, 15:46   #12496
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I understand screening at the borders for road travellers has started, at least at the major ones (Muthanga, Walayar, Amaravila and probably Thalapady)
Saw reports on this in the Malayalam news channels. It seems they are recording details and let people proceed if all looks fine. Risk is if someone develops a cold or cough while traveling OR the situation changes further by next weekend
gadadhar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 18:09   #12497
Senior - BHPian

Got some picture of the Kerala Police and Health dept personnel conducting checks at the borders and railway stations:

1. Walayar (Pampampallam) toll

All Roads to Kerala-89438736_746444535883697_8497767381261615104_o.jpg

2. Malakkapara check post

All Roads to Kerala-90511034_747274985800652_8586215309235453952_o.jpg

3. Kumaly check post

All Roads to Kerala-89559106_747279262466891_536958924469829632_o.jpg

4. Palakkad Junction railway station

All Roads to Kerala-89525542_747280889133395_527689985613103104_o.jpg

Some individuals have also been charged under various laws, for violating the instructions given to them to be on home quarantine.

Last edited by silversteed : 16th March 2020 at 18:12.
silversteed is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 19:47   #12498
BHPian

From what I understand if there is a large group, then they are taking down the details of the passengers , before letting them proceed. They are not taking any temperature check, but taking our word that things are OK, unless they feel suspicious.
sparky@home is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 20:19   #12499
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi guys.

Little help here.
Know the route has been discussed to death, still.

Thiruvananthapuram to Manipal University and back.

Reason - Covid19 shut-down.
Purpose - to bring back my kid brother.

Route 1 - Traverse the whole length of Kerala, with its beautiful 'highways' and 'sparse' traffic.

Route 2 - From Nagercoil, get onto the proper highways, Bengaluru or Mysore and from there to Mangalore.

Route 1 problems

- From TVM to kochi, it's familiar and okay, though after that the road deteriorates till Mangalore. That's what dad said when he went to drop him off.

- Google maps sometimes shows the MC road route till Kozhikode as a faster one, though to my knowledge MC road ends at Angamaly, and the 'good' MC road ends at Chenganoor or Adoor.

Route 2 problems

- Unfamiliar route

- Don't know the route after Dindigul. Also between Mysore/B'luru there are ghat roads notnin the best of conditions (?)

Most likely would go through Route 1, though someone said there are checkings in each district for out of district vehicles.
Don't know for sure. The same person said to use trains instead, though we are not confident about public transport.
Okay with state border checkings. But, checkings at each district seems too much of a hassle.

Thanks.

Last edited by DicKy : 18th March 2020 at 20:22.
Old 18th March 2020, 21:08   #12500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Is it really necessary - is your brother inconvenienced in Manipal (hostel closed etc.)? You are taking a lot of unnecessary risk I think. In a trip of this size you'll come within range of several thousand people and increase an infection risk for yourself and your brother.

Traffic is probably low so an all-Kerala route makes sense. MC Road is preferable over NH 66.

Last edited by binand : 18th March 2020 at 21:12.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 21:10   #12501
ike
BHPian

Quote:

Route 1 - Traverse the whole length of Kerala, with its beautiful 'highways' and 'sparse' traffic.

Route 2 - From Nagercoil, get onto the proper highways, Bengaluru or Mysore and from there to Mangalore.

Route 1 problems

Thanks.
I usually try to keep the KMS within Kerala to a minimum even if it means clocking more kilometers. From my experience, driving in Kerala is rather stressful and takes far longer, chances are that you will reach sooner if you go via Nagercoil.
ike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 21:34   #12502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
I usually try to keep the KMS within Kerala to a minimum even if it means clocking more kilometers.
That is the right approach when driving to say, Bangalore from Trivandrum. If you have to loop back to the west coast (Manipal, in this case) I don't think this is worth the extra time - a quick Google check shows 15 hours vs 20 hours.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 22:21   #12503
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is it really necessary - is your brother inconvenienced in Manipal (hostel closed etc.)? You are taking a lot of unnecessary risk I think. In a trip of this size you'll come within range of several thousand people and increase an infection risk for yourself and your brother.

Traffic is probably low so an all-Kerala route makes sense. MC Road is preferable over NH 66.
Thanks.
Well, his college had closed for one week, which had stretched to March 31st. Though his classmates went home, he was okay staying there.

But today afternoon, notice came that the college was closed till May 31.
Except NRI/ foreign students with the permission of the management, rest all have to vacate hostels.

We reckoned traveling in our own vehicle, minimising bio breaks and packing home food would be much safer than him taking public transport, however deserted trains maybe or taking precaution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
I usually try to keep the KMS within Kerala to a minimum even if it means clocking more kilometers. From my experience, driving in Kerala is rather stressful and takes far longer, chances are that you will reach sooner if you go via Nagercoil.
Thanks.
True, the toll charges pays itself back by less stress, more FE, less wear and tear and most importantly. Safety
But like @binand said. Too much of a loop trip.
And not familiar with the Dindigul - Mangalore stretch. If it was an ordinary trip would have checked it out. This has to be quick in and out.
Quote:
That is the right approach when driving to say, Bangalore from Trivandrum. If you have to loop back to the west coast (Manipal, in this case) I don't think this is worth the extra time - a quick Google check shows 15 hours vs 20 hours.

The MC road ends in Angamaly, is it good till then, or does the good part end at Chenganoor, and have to take the AC road back to NH66?

Thanks.
Old 18th March 2020, 22:39   #12504
BANNED

In the times of Corona, from Thiruvananthapuram, take the MC road till Chengannur and then Alapuzha - Aroor - Vyttilla - Edappally if starting day time. Or Stick to NH if you start early (Reach Kazhakuttam at 3 and pass Edappally by 7.30). Don't take the Edappally - Paravur - Chavakkad route anytime of day or night. Instead, go via Aluva - Angamaly Trissur - Jubliee Hospital (Turn left 4 or 5 km after Paliyekkara opposite Oushadhi) Town Hall - Rama Nilayam - Poonkunnam - Kunnamkulam - Edappal - Kottakkal etc. (Not very sure of names after that). Road from KL - KA border till Manipal will be a paradise.

Going via TN - BLR will be an overkill.

Edit - Traffic is 50 % to 75% of usual within the city. So there is no cause for worry. Just carry a 20l can of water and dry fruits to last the journey as food.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 18th March 2020 at 22:55.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 22:43   #12505
BHPian

I traveled on the MC road couple of weeks ago on the stretch from Venjarammood to Changanacherry where i joined the AC road and continued to my destination, Cherthala. The Venjarammood to Changanacherry stretch is in good condition and we made very good speed.
Joscyriac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 10:12   #12506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Reason - Covid19 shut-down.
Purpose - to bring back my kid brother.

Route 1 problems

- From TVM to kochi, it's familiar and okay, though after that the road deteriorates till Mangalore. That's what dad said when he went to drop him off.

- Google maps sometimes shows the MC road route till Kozhikode as a faster one, though to my knowledge MC road ends at Angamaly, and the 'good' MC road ends at Chenganoor or Adoor.
Route 1 is good. Start very early (5AM sharp or before) in the morning from Trivandrum and stay on NH and you can make good time without overspeeding and you can escape Cochin blocks before it peaks. Take the Kodungallur route towards Guruvayur (will reach by ~ 1PM) and then continue towards Malappuram and then Kozhikode Vadakara Mahe Kannur and towards Manipal.

On my drives between Tvm - Chethala/Kochi/Guruvayur - Tvm I used to take MC road before the Kollam bypass was opened. With the bypass open it does not make much sense to go with MC road when on a time bound drive.

Avoid eating from road side places. Take an electric kettle and packets of ready to eat meals (according to the number of heads and days), noodles etc and couple of plastic (reusable) thali type plates and steel cups. Boil water, heat the ready to eat meal in it and eat it in our own plates. For tea you will get ready mix tea powder which you can make your own tea with boiled water, I have tried the Girnar and its good only prob is that 1 and half sachet is required per cup (avg malayalee sized cup) for a strong flavor. My last trip to Blore was like this Avoid room service. Carry own water, large 20litre can with a hand pump is a good option from which you can refill small bottles for consumption.

Strictly avoid eating any non-veg food including baker items from the road side, more than Corona I am worried about the the meat they use due to recent bird flu incident.

Route 2 is simply not worth taking for going to Manipal.

Edit: And don't forget the sanitizer and the mask (wear it only if required - crowd etc). I keep a sanitizer in the vehicle since the first Nipah scare and still using the very same bottle, so it skipped my mind earlier to include. Its a 200ml pump bottle bought 2 years ago and is half empty now. Keep a small 50ml one in pocket or bag.

Last edited by Sankar : 19th March 2020 at 10:28.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 12:50   #12507
BHPian

I am planning to drive to Kochi from Bangalore this week. Possibly stay for a week. Planning to carry our own food for the trip to avoid hotels on the way. Wondering how much extra time I should account for the checking at Valayar.
nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 13:27   #12508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nair View Post
I am planning to drive to Kochi from Bangalore this week. Possibly stay for a week. Planning to carry our own food for the trip to avoid hotels on the way. Wondering how much extra time I should account for the checking at Valayar.
Same case for me too. I am also planning to travel from BLR this weekend. From the reports shared by other members in the previous posts, it looks like just a quick check of temperature, and capturing the contact details and travel history. Nobody has reported any long queues so far, but may be others who have traveled post this screening implementation can shed some more light.

Last edited by Repsol : 19th March 2020 at 13:30.
Old 19th March 2020, 21:18   #12509
BHPian

Good people, I'm planning to travel to Calicut this Saturday and plan to return back on Sunday itself. I heard this evening that there might be a restriction of vehicles from Kerala into Karnataka. Anyone have more info on the same? The route is going to be the usual Bangalore -> Mysore -> Nanjangud -> Gundlupet -> Wayanad -> Calicut.

Thanks in advance.
Old 19th March 2020, 21:26   #12510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nair View Post
So far there isn't any long queue. My friends are part of the volunteers who are screening the passengers. Just be honest and co-operate with them.
All Roads to Kerala-img20200318wa0047.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-img20200319wa0055.jpg

Mods: This is repeat post. Please delete this post. Unable to find a delete option. Sorry for my ignorance.

Last edited by K_Drive : 19th March 2020 at 21:38.
K_Drive is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks