Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2020, 17:37   #12526
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
I came through till Calicut, roads are mostly deserted with very less vehicles on road.
I heard that Wyanad check post at Muttanga is closed. Is this true ? Any info would be helpful as I am currently looking at options through Mysore->Guntalped->Wynad->Calicut Route
Old 21st March 2020, 17:40   #12527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salnv View Post
I heard that Wyanad check post at Muttanga is closed. Is this true ? Any info would be helpful as I am currently looking at options through Mysore->Guntalped->Wynad->Calicut Route
My friend has travelled this route today morning. He passed this place by around 11:30AM. Just temperature check was there, they are not stopping private vehicles. Heard from another distant relative that vehicles to KA side are blocked at Muthanga and KA officials are not letting any vehicles in. But travel to Waynad is possible as of now.
Xaos636 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 17:48   #12528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
I have a KL registration Innova and me and wife need to get to Kottayam from Bangalore. Our plan was to travel on 25th. We’re are shifting to kerala, so our vehicle will have some household items.

Which route to take, if anybody has info please let me know? Thanks!
Kerala will not close the gates for Kerala registered vehicles. So no need to worry regarding that as long as no one inside is having a temperature. At the most you will get delayed in checks.

Wait and watch on what TN does to out of state vehicles at their borders on 24th. Based on that take a call on 25th whether to skip TN and cross into Kerala from Karnataka through other route.

Carrying too many household items inside the vehicle might raise a flag and they may want to spray disinfectant on it. So carry only necessary items.
Old 21st March 2020, 17:49   #12529
BHPian

Quote:
Any update on the route from Karnataka to Kerala via Hosur->Selam->Coimbatore->Palakkad Route today ? Is it ok to travel or the border is closed ?
Coimbatore district collector K Rajamani said vehicles from Tamil Nadu will be allowed to go Kerala but they will not be allowed to come back, which will not apply to vehicles carrying essential goods.
source: Deccan Herald

Being a Resident of Coimbatore, I haven't seen lot of KL vehicles plying around in the last three days as it would be the case previously.
gasinveins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 18:53   #12530
Distinguished - BHPian

Brought brother back home, just in time to hear news that Kerala - Tamil Nadu border is closed, and with Kasaragod reports coming, Karnataka may close too.

Since our Etios tyres were a thousand kilometres from being bald, and Vitamin M in short, borrowed my friend's Harrier for the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Don't take the Edappally - Paravur - Chavakkad route anytime of day or night. Instead, go via Aluva - Angamaly Trissur - Jubliee Hospital (Turn left 4 or 5 km after Paliyekkara opposite Oushadhi) Town Hall - Rama Nilayam - Poonkunnam - Kunnamkulam - Edappal - Kottakkal etc......
Thank you.

Followed your route advice to the T. Except for the roads through Thrissur town, everything else was a breeze ( with respect to Kerala roads )

Other than driving to Coimbatore via Thrissur/Palakkad and driving within Wayanad, this was the first time I was driving north of Guruvayoor.
Used to the TVM - Nagercoil stretch, windy roads were not a problems, especially with the killer private buses few in number.
Was surprised with ghat like roads in Malappuram and Kasaragod stretches, and for a moment thought I had lost my way when I saw a stall selling 'Wayanadan mullayari payasam'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Route 1 is good. Start very early (5AM sharp or before) ..Take the Kodungallur route towards Guruvayur (will reach by ~ 1PM)....
With the bypass open it does not make much sense to go with MC road

Avoid eating meat.....

Edit: And don't forget the sanitizer and the mask .
Thank you
On the way to Manipal went through the MC road - AC road route, had not seen your post then. In hindsight, guess it costed us time, though a scenic route.

On the return journey came through Kollam bypass. Guess with Alappuzha bypass to be opened soon, TVM -EKM journey may become a whole less tiresome ( IF these bypasses don't 'develop' like the TVM/EKM ones did )

Though we had gone through Aluva - Angamaly - Thrissur on the onwards journey, came by the Kodungallur- Guruvayoor route on the return one. After Malappuram, till Guruvayoor, the road surface was extremely uneven, no potholes and such, but uneven. The Harrier pounded through them. From Guruvayoor till Edappaly it is still the old residential area narrow roads.

We had packed our food and ate them by the road side. Except the toll guys and fuel pump guys, where the hand sanitizer was used before the windows went up, the only close contact we had with a person was in Manipal (my brother )
Though on the return journey, had no cooked food and munched on bread, peanut butter, banana and water till we reached home.

Started from Neyyattinkara on 19th at 5:30 A.M, reached Manipal at 11 P.M.

A couple of hours rest, much needed 'proper bio break' and a bath at my brother's friend's apartment, started back at 2 A.M, reached Neyyattinkara 4:30 P.M yesterday.

After the last toll booth in Karnataka and near the Kerala border, two health officials/ volunteers(?) had flagged us down, asked our 'from-to' travel details, informed us there was a Manipal- Kollam KSRTC special service (?), and advised us on precautions and care. Guess, the '2day no new cases' had made them relaxed. There was no thermal scanning.

A day late and things wouldn't have been this easy.

speed cams - Still confused whether it is 70 or 80 or 85km/h. In the Angamaly - Paliyekkara toll stretch, a couple of speed 'traps', repeat speed 'traps' aside most others could be properly guessed by the 'if you want to floor it, there is a speed cam' philosophy.

Though the over zealous use of speed cams within Thrissur town and a stretch near Kannur where the locals had put up 30km/h stickers over the official signposts for atleast 10kms had amused me, I wonder if most of these are in working condition, seeing their decrepit form. Better safe than try lady luck for a love letter from MVD

Last edited by DicKy : 21st March 2020 at 18:59.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 21:20   #12531
BHPian

A friend drove from Bangalore to Kochi today early morning. No issues onward. At TN - KL border he was informed that if proceeding, he wont be able to drive back into TN till 1st Apr (as of now).
MSAneesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 00:01   #12532
BHPian

Travelled today from Bangalore to Palakkad through Walayar. TN checkpost wasn't checking entry towards Walayar (guess as per agreement between states). Heavy screening for TN entry. At Kerala side, teams checked our whereabouts and advised on precautions to take and asked us to report to nearest primary health centre in case of symptoms. We anyway had informed our PHC in advance of our arrival.
We entered TN through Sarjapur Bagalur road. They weren't restricting entry. They sprayed disinfectant on all door handles (not sure of the logic about doing that). I had my 19months old son and wife with me. We stopped at no restaurants. Had food packed. Stopped for bio break in NHAI toll plazas. Sparse traffic overall.
Better timing than usual. We had confirmed to an extent the Walayar border status from one of our acquaintances at NHAI office at Walayar. In worst case, we were prepared to stay with one of our family friends in Coimbatore. Overall not much fuss. That is the summary.

Last edited by vinodvayyat : 22nd March 2020 at 00:05.
vinodvayyat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 19:12   #12533
Senior - BHPian

Looks like all modes of public transport would come to a stop till March 31st. Had a reservation on a train to Kerala for next week end, and it has been auto-cancelled. And so now if people have to commute it would have to be purely using their own private vehicles.
Old 22nd March 2020, 19:24   #12534
BHPian

Saw this on the Facebook page of Wayanad Collector
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-fb_img_1584885061895.jpg  

Old 22nd March 2020, 21:22   #12535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joscyriac View Post
Saw this on the Facebook page of Wayanad Collector
Does this mean that private cars are allowed through Muthanga check post during daytime from Karnataka to Kerala now?
Old 22nd March 2020, 21:40   #12536
BHPian

Quote:
Does this mean that private cars are allowed through Muthanga check post during daytime from Karnataka to Kerala now?
That's what it seems like. From the comments section of the said post i was able to make out people are crossing through the checkposts as well as pocket roads without checkposts. You can check on the Facebook page Collector Wayanad

https://www.facebook.com/wayanadWE/
Joscyriac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 12:15   #12537
BANNED

Manorama TV channel reporting that Kannur - Kasargod is closed for all passenger traffic - pvt, yellow boards, two wheelers are stopped. All roads - NH and small roads are closed.
Old 23rd March 2020, 12:22   #12538
Senior - BHPian

Is the Walayar boarder open for private cars from Bangalore to Kerala. Some of my known folks are considering going today
Old 23rd March 2020, 12:31   #12539
BANNED

Looks like TN > KL direction is open. KL > TN traffic both goods and private vehicles is almost stopped. Public transport does not cross the border. This is based on TV reports. Ground reality may differ. Attitudes also vary on vehicle registration too.
Old 23rd March 2020, 12:41   #12540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Is the Walayar boarder open for private cars from Bangalore to Kerala. Some of my known folks are considering going today
TN to Kerala should be ok - based on what I personally observed on Saturday. They aren't really bothered to even stare at vehicles leaving TN to Kerala. Also, there is no update on Walayar border situation from the Govt of Kerala so far after Saturday. Below is the latest update shared by Palakkad Dist collector (notification from Coimbatore Collector) on Saturday. So your friends can peacefully cross the border if they can enter TN if they are from other states.

All Roads to Kerala-tn_kerala_1.jpg

All Roads to Kerala-tn_kerala_2.jpg
vinodvayyat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed