Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2010, 15:09   #1261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsmind View Post
Could someone update me on the present road conditions to calicut, especially to the ghat section/hair pin bends. This stretch is bad most times, is it still the same or has it improved.
Iam doing a week end trip to Calicut on my swifty.
Wayanad ghat section is currently in good condition. I had taken this route earlier this month to Bangalore. Some of the hair pin bends were in pathetic/dangerous condition few months back but now its much better.

Gundelpet-Muthanga ghat section is also in good shape. Watch out for some steep turns and speed breakers in this route.
Old 30th April 2010, 15:39   #1262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Road from Palakkad to Trichur is as usual very crowded and the road surface broken in many places, Trichur by-pass is in the same conditions, some sections are resurfaced and smooth. After the by-pass till Angamally the 4 laning work is going very slowly, IMO, many sections are tarred but there area couple of bottlenecks and switch backs, took me 3 hours of non-stop driving, jam from Alwaye.
Have to say that the road from Angamaly to Trichur is quite 'dangerous' these days, especially at night:

1. Abrupt changes from 4-lanes to two and back. People speed up in the 4-lane stretches only to panic-brake when the road narrows.

2. Insufficient sign boards to indicate the change from 4-lane to 2 and back. Sometimes people miss 2-lane to 4-lane change and end up in the wrong lane. Worse still, they continue on the wrong lane running opposite the traffic until the next change from 4-lane to 2.

3. No street lights, everybody is on high-beam and rarely switch to low-beam.

4. People cross the road anywhere and everywhere. Combined with point 3 above, it means you have to be doubly alert (and lucky) to avoid accidents.
Old 30th April 2010, 20:15   #1263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Have to say that the road from Angamaly to Trichur is quite 'dangerous' these days, especially at night:

1. Abrupt changes from 4-lanes to two and back. People speed up in the 4-lane stretches only to panic-brake when the road narrows.

2. Insufficient sign boards to indicate the change from 4-lane to 2 and back. Sometimes people miss 2-lane to 4-lane change and end up in the wrong lane. Worse still, they continue on the wrong lane running opposite the traffic until the next change from 4-lane to 2.
Saw one accident due to this last week
Old 1st May 2010, 09:28   #1264
BHPian

Quote:

The whole experiene of driving to Cochin and back was not good compared to other states.

--Ramky
-----------
Sadly, it is going to remain the same for quite some time. Take a look at this blog post that does a good analysis on the current situation of national highway expansion project in the state.

Roads to Nowhere??

I do not see any silver lining in the horizon.

Maybe, we need a new thread to discuss this.

-- Wind
Old 1st May 2010, 13:12   #1265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
Sadly, it is going to remain the same for quite some time. Take a look at this blog post that does a good analysis on the current situation of national highway expansion project in the state.

Roads to Nowhere??

I do not see any silver lining in the horizon.

Maybe, we need a new thread to discuss this.

-- Wind
My point is, the work in Kerala is going at a snails pace compared to what I am seeing in Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and some sections of North. The 4 tracking work is taking eons, many people are driving through TN to reach Trvandrum. Why should it take 15 years to complete 4 tracking about 150 KMs, from TN border to Angamally? The Angamally-Ernakulam stretch was done fast only because of Nedumbassery Airport.

==========

Last edited by ramkya1 : 1st May 2010 at 13:14.
Old 1st May 2010, 14:47   #1266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My point is, the work in Kerala is going at a snails pace compared to what I am seeing in Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and some sections of North. The 4 tracking work is taking eons, many people are driving through TN to reach Trvandrum. Why should it take 15 years to complete 4 tracking about 150 KMs, from TN border to Angamally?
Densely populated state, a political culture of strikes and hartals, indifferent public. I am not defending what is happening. As you said, I take the excellent TN roads to TVM.

Highways should be exactly that, highways. I do not want to jostle with mopeds, autorickshaws and state transport super fast buses in a two lane road called highway.

Unfortunately not an iota of change is seen in the horizon.
Old 3rd May 2010, 15:04   #1267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Unfortunately not an iota of change is seen in the horizon.
A very sad 'state' of affairs indeed!! For my Kerala trip in Septmber (I know we are only in May ) I was planning to hit NH-47 @ Chalakudi via Valparai and then continue all the way till Chavara (Ashtamudi) but looks like this 4-laning might prove to be a pain
Old 3rd May 2010, 16:40   #1268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
A very sad 'state' of affairs indeed!! For my Kerala trip in Septmber (I know we are only in May ) I was planning to hit NH-47 @ Chalakudi via Valparai and then continue all the way till Chavara (Ashtamudi) but looks like this 4-laning might prove to be a pain
@Cool_dube, you cannot predict the condition of NH47 after rains .
Old 3rd May 2010, 17:03   #1269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was planning to hit NH-47 @ Chalakudi via Valparai and then continue all the way till Chavara (Ashtamudi) but looks like this 4-laning might prove to be a pain
For Chavara, another option is NH7-NH208 combination - BLR-Salem-Madurai-Tenkasi-Punalur-Kollam-Chavara.

Unless of course, you are keen on the Valparai route.
Old 3rd May 2010, 21:23   #1270
BHPian

Quote:
For my Kerala trip in Septmber (I know we are only in May ) I was planning to hit NH-47 @ Chalakudi via Valparai and then continue all the way till Chavara (Ashtamudi) but looks like this 4-laning might prove to be a pain
From Valparai, you can enter NH47 at Angamali without touching Chalakkudi. After Athirappilly, there is a lelft that leads you to Angamali (Take left at the junction that has direction to Munnar).

But, your Valparai route will eat up lots of time. If you are planning a single day trip from Bangalore to Chavara - that may be difficult.

Plan well to include time for all your sightseeing stops enroute.
Old 6th May 2010, 09:39   #1271
BHPian

I would be traveling to Padalam over this weekend.
This time i am planning to take Bangalore - Salem - Namakkal - Dindigul - Periyakulam - Theni - Cumbum - Kumily - Mundakkayam - Erumely - Plachery - Ranni - Pathanamthitta - pandalam (Thanks to joecherian ).
Planning to start around 5am from Bangalore.

Any recent updates on the roads after Theni, i have read some older posts saying roads are bit bad after Kumily.
Old 6th May 2010, 12:24   #1272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
For Chavara, another option is NH7-NH208 combination - BLR-Salem-Madurai-Tenkasi-Punalur-Kollam-Chavara.Unless of course, you are keen on the Valparai route.
I thought of that Raj but as you said, I AM keen on the Valparai route I might take this route on the way back though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuks View Post
But, your Valparai route will eat up lots of time. If you are planning a single day trip from Bangalore to Chavara - that may be difficult. Plan well to include time for all your sightseeing stops enroute.
Agreed - in all probability, I will stay put in Coimbatore for the previous night and then do the Valparai route at leisure. Might stay back in Kochi for the night if the drive ends up getting too leisurely
Old 6th May 2010, 22:21   #1273
BHPian

Quote:
Agreed - in all probability, I will stay put in Coimbatore for the previous night and then do the Valparai route at leisure. Might stay back in Kochi for the night if the drive ends up getting too leisurely
I have done this Valparai route last month. Will post photos soon in the travelogue section.
Old 8th May 2010, 12:05   #1274
BHPian

any good hotels on mysore - hd kote - bavali - tholpatty - thirunelly route?
Old 8th May 2010, 19:30   #1275
Senior - BHPian

Generally My Driver (since i dont know the roads well) takes the State Highways rather than the 4 laned(not yet) roads. We can do an average of 70 on these roads without any hassles and are is pretty good condition(at least some of them)

Most Viewed