Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2010, 19:25   #1291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlover98 View Post
Thanks HVK. But what about potholes both in Kerala part as well as Tamilnadu part?
Between Palode and Kulathupuzha, Japan drinking water project was happening during Dec09. This had created big potholes, slowing down the speed, at times to dead slow. Apart from this, roads were good.

I suggest taking the below route. I had taken this route last month, and roads were great.
TVM-Ayur-Anchal-Kulathupuzha-Thenmala-Shencottah-Tenkasi-Rajapalayam-Tirumangalam-Madurai.

Refer this thread.
Old 18th May 2010, 13:07   #1292
BHPian

Does anybody know the current condition of NH 208 in kerala/Tamil nadu. I am planning to start early morning (around 6 from tambaram chennai) and hold nh45 till madurai and then nh208 from madurai to kollam. Let me know if anybody has taken this route recently. I will be the lone driver and i hope to reach kollam by 8 in the night.
Old 19th May 2010, 18:24   #1293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Between Palode and Kulathupuzha, Japan drinking water project was happening during Dec09. This had created big potholes, slowing down the speed, at times to dead slow. Apart from this, roads were good.

I suggest taking the below route. I had taken this route last month, and roads were great.
TVM-Ayur-Anchal-Kulathupuzha-Thenmala-Shencottah-Tenkasi-Rajapalayam-Tirumangalam-Madurai.

Refer this thread.
Thanks sbraj.
Any idea about the distance and time, if we go via Ayur-Anchal-Shencottah-Madurai?
Also the distance and time, if we go via Nagarcoil-Tirunelveli-Madurai?
I am planning to start by 5.00AM from Tvm.
I guess both the roads are equally good, I mean, without potholes.

Last edited by carlover98 : 19th May 2010 at 18:25. Reason: Add one line
Old 20th May 2010, 10:01   #1294
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Any update on NH7-NH47? Hope cyclone doesnt have any impact on this route. I need to go to Thodupuzha-Kottayam tomorrow.
Old 21st May 2010, 08:55   #1295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Thanks jacs. That makes you my neighbour
WhiteKnight, did you travel via Dindigul last time? Whats your update on Dindigul - Kambam - Cumbommettu roads?
Old 21st May 2010, 18:38   #1296
Team-BHP Support

NH7 should be hopefully safe (thought not aware of the status).
Also cannot say about Kerala.
Old 21st May 2010, 20:07   #1297
Senior - BHPian

Dindigul-Kambam-Kambamedu road is in good condition, unless last 2 weeks rains have affected it.
Old 22nd May 2010, 23:14   #1298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Dindigul-Kambam-Kambamedu road is in good condition, unless last 2 weeks rains have affected it.
Thanks HVK. I had to take Coimbatore route for dropping my friends in Cochin and heading towards Thodupuzha. Now in Kottayam, will be starting tomorrow noon back to Bangalore via NH47->NH7 route.

For the interest of others,

Roads are still holding good. Offcourse NH47 has certain rough patches especially after Walayar till Trissur but no holes . And 4 laning work is still progressing in Angamaly-Trissur stretch, hence some diversions and cuttings.

This time i took Omallur->Shankari route bypassing Salem, good roads with less traffic but narrow. Good option during heavy traffic timings.

Took 9 hours to reach Cochin with an hour break in between. Consistantly maintained 80~100 KMPH.
Old 24th May 2010, 10:05   #1299
BHPian

I am driving to Cochin this weekend. Should I use, Omalur-Sankagiri route or Thoppur-Mettur-Bhavani route? How is the condition of the Mettur route now?
Old 24th May 2010, 10:39   #1300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRider View Post
I am driving to Cochin this weekend. Should I use, Omalur-Sankagiri route or Thoppur-Mettur-Bhavani route? How is the condition of the Mettur route now?
No doubt Mettur route is shortest, but still its not ready. Better take Omallur-Sankari route, good roads though narrow but very less traffic once you cross Omallur town.

I thought of taking the same route in return journey but missed the diversion. Ongoing is easy since there are clear indications and landmarks but during return its bit difficult to trace.
Old 24th May 2010, 11:02   #1301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
No doubt Mettur route is shortest, but still its not ready. Better take Omallur-Sankari route, good roads though narrow but very less traffic once you cross Omallur town.

I thought of taking the same route in return journey but missed the diversion. Ongoing is easy since there are clear indications and landmarks but during return its bit difficult to trace.
It is easy to trace on return as well. When you see a "Take Diversion" board below an over-bridge (around 20 kms from Bhavani) to Sankagiri town, just ignore it and go straight.

Should I try Mettur route or not? Anyone?

PS: I am not driving an SUV. It s a little hatch, Palio.
Old 24th May 2010, 11:15   #1302
Senior - BHPian

I took Omallur-Sankagiri route one month back and its smoother & easier than Mettur route.

Last edited by coolclouds : 24th May 2010 at 11:16.
Old 24th May 2010, 11:42   #1303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRider View Post
It is easy to trace on return as well. When you see a "Take Diversion" board below an over-bridge (around 20 kms from Bhavani) to Sankagiri town, just ignore it and go straight.

Should I try Mettur route or not? Anyone?

PS: I am not driving an SUV. It s a little hatch, Palio.
As updated by a Kallada driver (he drives for us sometimes), Mettur road is still not in good condition and has lot of rough stretches and hence they are taking Omallur route. Its nothing like not drivable for car, you can do it in Palio but not so smooth and lot of truck traffic still.

Last edited by jacs : 24th May 2010 at 11:43.
Old 24th May 2010, 12:34   #1304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I took Omallur-Sankagiri route one month back and its smoother & easier than Mettur route.
Quote:
As updated by a Kallada driver (he drives for us sometimes), Mettur road is still not in good condition and has lot of rough stretches and hence they are taking Omallur route. Its nothing like not drivable for car, you can do it in Palio but not so smooth and lot of truck traffic still.
Thanks a lot guys. So Omalur route, it is.
Old 25th May 2010, 17:56   #1305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any update on NH7-NH47?
Came back to BLR yesterday from TVM (in Volvo bus). Roads are in good condition. Though NH47-NH7 combo was taken, total time was 14 hours. Bus was near Thrissur at 9:45pm, and in BLR at 5:10am. It was raining heavily in Kerala, but road condition has not degraded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlover98 View Post
Any idea about the distance and time, if we go via Ayur-Anchal-Shencottah-Madurai?
Also the distance and time, if we go via Nagarcoil-Tirunelveli-Madurai?
I am planning to start by 5.00AM from Tvm.
I guess both the roads are equally good, I mean, without potholes.
TVM-Ayur-Anchal-Shencottah-Madurai would be ~5.5 hours drive time, distance of ~320 KM.
TVM-Nagercoil-Tirunelveli-Madurai is ~340 KM I guess. During day time, traffic in TVM-Nagercoil stretch (70 km) takes around 2 hours. And overall time for Madurai will be 6.5 hours. But if you are starting at 5AM, then Nagercoil option looks better option.

Last edited by sbraj : 25th May 2010 at 17:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks