Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2021, 20:15   #13096
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by pms View Post
Dont understand the logic of people driving like crazy to be queued up in the next toll again with all. To ultimately save half an hour max, I wonder! As they say Indians are always in a hurry not to reach anywhere on time
I once had a porche cayenne S driving atleast at 200 kph alongwith me from Krishnagiri to Trissur. I drove at a sedate 110kph, yet we both reached paliyekkara toll at the same time. Why ? He was always stuck in cash lanes, I had fastag. He must have gone mad spotting the same car to overtake atleast 7 or 8 times.
venkyhere is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 14:18   #13097
BHPian

Hey guys,
Planning on leaving for Kodungallur, Thrissur from Mumbai on Saturday 16th January. I am confused regarding the route to take. Google maps shows me 2 routes.
One is via Mangalore-Kasargod-Kozhikode-Guruvayur-Kodungallur and the other route is Tumkur-Kollegal-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Kodungallur. Which one would you guys prefer?

I would prefer sticking to 4 lane highways as much as possible.
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 15:15   #13098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Hey guys,
Planning on leaving for Kodungallur, Thrissur from Mumbai on Saturday 16th January.

In that case, neither. Mumbai-Pune-Belagavi-Hubli-Bangalore-Salem-Coimbatore-Thrissur is 4/6-lane throughout except Hubli-Dharwad bypass, Coimbatore bypass and the infamous Kuthiran section.

Beyond Thrissur whatever works for you. If you continue to insist on 4-lane roads perhaps drive on till Aluva Athani and then turn westwards.
binand is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 20:08   #13099
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Hey guys,
Planning on leaving for Kodungallur, Thrissur from Mumbai on Saturday 16th January. I am confused regarding the route to take. Google maps shows me 2 routes.
One is via Mangalore-Kasargod-Kozhikode-Guruvayur-Kodungallur and the other route is Tumkur-Kollegal-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Kodungallur. Which one would you guys prefer?

Neither.
Mumbai -> tumkur -> bangalore NICE tollway (hefty charge) -> hosur -> salem -> coimbatore bypass -> walayar -> kuthiran -> mannuthy. Rest of the distance is as you please.
This is faster, more FE, less tiring, more options for food/toilet breaks. Only thing is ending up paying around 1.25 to 1.5 rupees per km toll.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 13:46   #13100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
In that case, neither. Mumbai-Pune-Belagavi-Hubli-Bangalore-Salem-Coimbatore-Thrissur is 4/6-lane throughout except Hubli-Dharwad bypass, Coimbatore bypass and the infamous Kuthiran section.

Beyond Thrissur whatever works for you. If you continue to insist on 4-lane roads perhaps drive on till Aluva Athani and then turn westwards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Neither.
Mumbai -> tumkur -> bangalore NICE tollway (hefty charge) -> hosur -> salem -> coimbatore bypass -> walayar -> kuthiran -> mannuthy. Rest of the distance is as you please.
This is faster, more FE, less tiring, more options for food/toilet breaks. Only thing is ending up paying around 1.25 to 1.5 rupees per km toll.
Thanks guys for the suggestion. The above said route was my preferred route too, I have done Mumbai- Bangalore a couple of times so am familiar with the route too(It's just going straight).

So I have shortlisted Radisson Salem as my night halt for day 1, if for any reason we are not able to reach Salem I will stay at Keys hotel, Hosur. Shall keep you guys updated.
Old 12th January 2021, 14:14   #13101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I have shortlisted Radisson Salem as my night halt for day 1, if for any reason we are not able to reach Salem I will stay at Keys hotel, Hosur.
Salem is about 1200 km from Mumbai. This would be a bit of a stretch. My past experience says Mumbai-Bangalore could take between 12-14 hours even when driving alone. Bangalore Salem is 3 hours.

Keep options open in Yeshwantpur area and Electronic City area too.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 09:06   #13102
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys for the suggestion. The above said route was my preferred route too, I have done Mumbai- Bangalore a couple of times so am familiar with the route too(It's just going straight).

So I have shortlisted Radisson Salem as my night halt for day 1, if for any reason we are not able to reach Salem I will stay at Keys hotel, Hosur. Shall keep you guys updated.
Quote:
Salem is about 1200 km from Mumbai. This would be a bit of a stretch. My past experience says Mumbai-Bangalore could take between 12-14 hours even when driving alone. Bangalore Salem is 3 hours.

Hi Dean,

Salem will be a bit of strech I feel; even I was targeting Radisson Salem couldn’t make it. .

Check Hotel La Classic/ Attibele. Its bang on the highway and a very good property with secured parking.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th January 2021 at 10:09. Reason: Typos.
Old 13th January 2021, 09:55   #13103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn.vishnu View Post
Check Hotel La Classic/ Attibele
My suggestion would be to cross Hosur Old Bus Stand and stay. You practically eliminate all pain in the rear points including the Zuzuvadi checkpost mess.

Claresta (good ol' Renaissance), ASR Park Lane (opposite side) are couple of options I can remember off the bat.

Agreed on Salem part, it'll present you Thoppur ghat and Omalur-Salem traffic and the end of what should already be a 1100 km drive at that point.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 10:08   #13104
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
My suggestion would be to cross Hosur Old Bus Stand and stay. You practically eliminate all pain in the rear points including the Zuzuvadi checkpost mess.

Claresta (good ol' Renaissance), ASR Park Lane (opposite side) are couple of options I can remember off the bat.
Yes, this will be a good option because he would have taken NICE road to bypass Bangalore and can then exit Bangalore/Karnataka at Attibele and stay at Hosur.

If there's a delay for some reason, may be better to stop on the Tumkur Road before the NICE road entry, not sure if there are any decent options bang on the highway, maybe Golden Palms resort which isn't too far of a detour ?
Old 17th January 2021, 19:38   #13105
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Neither.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn.vishnu View Post
Hi Dean,

Salem will be a bit of strech I feel; even I was targeting Radisson Salem couldn’t make it. .

Check Hotel La Classic/ Attibele. Its bang on the highway and a very good property with secured parking.
Quote:

Agreed on Salem part, it'll present you Thoppur ghat and Omalur-Salem traffic and the end of what should already be a 1100 km drive at that point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Yes, this will be a good option because he would have taken NICE road to bypass Bangalore and can then exit Bangalore/Karnataka at Attibele and stay at Hosur.

If there's a delay for some reason, may be better to stop on the Tumkur Road before the NICE road entry, not sure if there are any decent options bang on the highway, maybe Golden Palms resort which isn't too far of a detour ?
Thanks a lot guys for your advice.
Left 6am from Mumbai yesterday. Reached Bangalore around 8pm. Was in 2 minds about carrying on or stopping. Wondered what I would do in the hotel since it was only 8pm so carried on till Radisson Salem. Reached the hotel around 11:30pm. Bangalore Salem roads were good. There was a Swift moving swiftly(pun intended) so didn’t really feel how time passed and I reached Salem.

Left morning 8am and reached Kodungallur around 1:30pm.
Thanks alot for your help once again
dean5545 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 16:40   #13106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot guys for your advice.
Left 6am from Mumbai yesterday. Reached Bangalore around 8pm. Was in 2 minds about carrying on or stopping. Wondered what I would do in the hotel since it was only 8pm so carried on till Radisson Salem. Reached the hotel around 11:30pm. Bangalore Salem roads were good. There was a Swift moving swiftly(pun intended) so didn’t really feel how time passed and I reached Salem.

Left morning 8am and reached Kodungallur around 1:30pm.
Thanks alot for your help once again
A couple of questions for you.
  1. Did you get an E-Pass for Tamil Nadu for your travel? How do you convey that you are just passing through?
  2. Did you get a E-Pass for Kerala? Again how did you convey that you are going to be there for a short period only?

My assumption is that you are on a short visit to Kerala and hence the above questions. I am planning to travel to Kerala and I see that I have to get an E-Pass. A duration up to 8 days will be considered a short visit and one is expected to upload a copy of the return flight tickets at the time of making the online request. I was not sure how that can be done if one is driving down.

Similarly TN showed the you need to get an E-pass even if you are passing through the state.

We are still debating whether to take a flight or travel by car (Pune to Angamaly)
Old 21st January 2021, 16:51   #13107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
  1. Did you get an E-Pass for Tamil Nadu for your travel? How do you convey that you are just passing through?
  2. Did you get a E-Pass for Kerala? Again how did you convey that you are going to be there for a short period only?

My assumption is that you are on a short visit to Kerala and hence the above questions. I am planning to travel to Kerala and I see that I have to get an E-Pass. A duration up to 8 days will be considered a short visit and one is expected to upload a copy of the return flight tickets at the time of making the online request. I was not sure how that can be done if one is driving down.

Similarly TN showed the you need to get an E-pass even if you are passing through the state.

We are still debating whether to take a flight or travel by car (Pune to Angamaly)
I did take a pass from this site The same pass can be shown in Tamil Nadu as well, if asked for. Although no one asked for it in either of the states. I was just asked to enter the return date, vehicle number and checkpost details that's it. My cousin drove down from Kerala last week and he too wasn't asked for the pass any where.
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 16:52   #13108
BHPian

I can answer question #2 based on my short visit to Kerala during Christmas holidays.

I had uploaded a combined pdf of the ID proofs of all travelers as the supporting document in the jagratha portal. There is a field to mention the transport related details and I entered my car registration number there. Upon crossing the border and entering Kerala, one policeman asked where we were going, whether that is our native place, and whether we are bringing in any liquor and they let us go without any further checking.

On the return journey, there was nobody to check the exit from Kerala. Even if someone had asked, I had proof of dates of travel, where I visited etc. based on FASTag records, Google maps history, credit card transactions etc. which would have proved that I did not overstay my short stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post

ccnarayanan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 14:30   #13109
BHPian

Quote:
Nowadays its a no brainer. Tambaram-Villupuram-Ulundurpettai-V Koot Road-Chinna Salem-Salem-CBE bypass-Walayar-Palakkad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunramaswamy View Post
The advantage of doing the chennai-vellore-krishnagiri-thoppur-mettur-salem-bhavani is that one has to pay lesser toll than the alternate Chennai-Ulundurpettai-salem route.
I'm taking both the roads. My onward journey involves going to Chittoor - AP, pick my parents and proceed on to Palakkad. So, will be taking the vellore - krishnagiri route. Return will be to Tambaram on the Villupuram- Ullundurpettai road. Kind of circuitous journey. I got the short visit e-pass from Jagratha portal just in case, some one want to play.

So, BHP'ians if you see a TN-11 Orangy Jazz with the LTD sticker on the windshield, honk and blink.

Last edited by saisree : 22nd January 2021 at 14:32.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 13:13   #13110
BHPian

Is there any recent update on the pass requirement to enter Kerala by road as well as TN transit pass? Planning to drive to TVM from BLR next week, and I am wondering if I need to apply or not.

Last edited by darklord : 27th January 2021 at 13:16.

Most Viewed