Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2021, 22:54   #13666
Team-BHP Support

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Been stuck in the Thoppur ghats since an hour now (towards Salem side). If someone crossed this section today, any idea what’s causing this?

Just look at this mess:

All Roads to Kerala-c93b870c8bf94cbeb30f6e7545acda17.png

All Roads to Kerala-d6cf4eb8374f4b198a713d6fa8f4b9ac.png
Old 23rd October 2021, 23:33   #13667
BHPian

Hello All
I am planning a trip to Devala ( Bangalore Sarjapur, Kanakapura, Malavalli, Mysore bypass, Nanjangud, Bandipur, mudumalai, gudalur, Devala)
I have never done this specific route in the past
Questions:
1. After these rains, is this route a good choice?
2. Google says travel time upto 8 hours. But any idea if thats a reasonable estimate?
3. I think this journey involves 3 states KAR, TN< and Kerala. I need guidance on the websites to fill in my request for epass (TN and Kerala?) and also whether RTPCR is required for fully vaccinated people and for little children. If yes, how old can the RTPCR be (3 days or more?) Can i use this RTPCR on my return journey since the report, by then would be a week old.
Would be grateful if you are able to point me to any easily understandable updated information on this.
Old 24th October 2021, 08:38   #13668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by realactivex View Post
Hello All
I am planning a trip to Devala ( Bangalore Sarjapur, Kanakapura, Malavalli, Mysore bypass, Nanjangud, Bandipur, mudumalai, gudalur, Devala)
I have never done this specific route in the past
Questions:
1. After these rains, is this route a good choice?
2. Google says travel time upto 8 hours. But any idea if thats a reasonable estimate?
3. I think this journey involves 3 states KAR, TN< and Kerala. I need guidance on the websites to fill in my request for epass (TN and Kerala?) and also whether RTPCR is required for fully vaccinated people and for little children. If yes, how old can the RTPCR be (3 days or more?) Can i use this RTPCR on my return journey since the report, by then would be a week old.
1. Both NH275 (Bangalore-Mysore) and NH948 (Bangalore-Kanakapura) are getting widened and rebuilt. But based on my August experience (and some recent updates) I believe there is no compelling reason to abandon NH275 when going to Mysore, except maybe transient ones like traffic and events.

2. Sounds a bit on the higher side, but not surprising. Here’s how I think a breakdown will look like: Getting out of Bangalore (NICE Exit) - 1 hour. Till Mysore - 2 hours. Till Bandipur - 1.5 to 2 hours. Till Gudalur - 1 hour. Beyond - 1 hour.

3. Devala is in TN. Kerala is not involved in the route you have mentioned. Kerala e-pass is not necessary. TN e-pass website is a quick Google search away. While TN has no RT-PCR requirement generally I seem to remember some specific instructions for entering Nilgiris district (which is your destination) that you need to look up. Karnataka has no specific issues with people entering from Tamil Nadu, but since this route is also a common one for Kerala-Karnataka transit there might be some checking. Proof of double vaccination is OK in general.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 01:35   #13669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Been stuck in the Thoppur ghats since an hour now (towards Salem side).
I was stuck in the same area a few months ago. Turned out, there was an accident, but that was caused by haphazardly placed barricades on the roads. The vehicles involved in the accident, a Mahindra Pik-Up and a fourteen-wheeler were parked on the shoulder. The barricades had come up at a menacing frequency after a major accident involving a trailer lorry and multiple cars.

Do update the status once you break free and reach your destination.
Old 25th October 2021, 11:11   #13670
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Do update the status once you break free and reach your destination.
Sorry for the delayed update; got really busy.

Well, we have no idea what caused this block! Some say to reduce accidents at night, the cops have setup a barricade at the end of the ghat descent since a while now. All the vehicles came to a complete halt for over an hour and turned off their engines. This is going to be a big pain for folks who take this route at night from Bangalore.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 15:53   #13671

Quote:
Originally Posted by pms View Post
We had carried TN E-Pass and Vaccination certificates. At Puliyarai checkpost they verified both and let us go, hardly a 10 min affair. There was a small pile up of vehicles and the officials at the checkpost were insisting for E-Pass and RTPCR or Vaccination certificates. Other than that no other checks anywhere.
Thank you, I did the return journey from Pandalam to BLR via this route. Reached the TN check posy at Puliyarai at around 0630 and there is already a small pile of vehicles. They checked the E Pass and RTPCR certificate and let us go.

For BLR to home I used Kumily route, but as there were news reports of a lot of debris still on the road between Mundakkayam and Kuttikanam after the last week's heavy rain and landslides, I chose the Tenkasi route for return. Road condition of Pathanapuram to Punalur is pathetic as road widening work are going on. Also I felt the road from Thenkasi to Madurai is much busier with many small towns to cross than the Kumily - Dindigul road.
Old 25th October 2021, 16:51   #13672
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I am plannng to travel from Wayanad to Mysore on 30 th OCT.Tried to get the update,but no website gives the information on the requirement of RTPC certificate while entering Karnataka. Getting conflicting reports from the people who have travelled in the passt. Any updates please.
Old 27th October 2021, 16:53   #13673
BHPian

Request info from BHPians who travelled recently to Parambikulam, or those who are familiar with the route

I am planning a trip to Parambikulam with family. We will be coming from Aluva side.

Google shows the route as Vadakkenchery - Alathur - Kunishery - Kollengode - Muthalamada (Turn right at Muthalamada) - Chulliyar Dam - Annanagar (small checkpost entry to TN) - Vettaikararanpudur - Sethumadai - Parambikulam
  • Is this the best route?
  • From vadakkenchery, is it better to take mudappallur - Nenmara - kollengode?
  • Is the road shown from Muthalamada to vettakaranpudur good? Or, is it better to proceed on Pollachi route via govindapuram checkpost and turn right at Ambarampalayam?

Another query is about checkpost entry.
  1. We are fully vaccinated and am planning to take TN ePass if available in system. Will they insist on RTPCR?
  2. Any info about the check post at Annanagar/Muthalamadai?
  3. If not, info about Govindapuram checkpost would also be helpful

Last edited by MSAneesh : 27th October 2021 at 16:54.
Old 27th October 2021, 21:22   #13674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumukha View Post
I am plannng to travel from Wayanad to Mysore on 30 th OCT.Tried to get the update,but no website gives the information on the requirement of RTPC certificate while entering Karnataka. Getting conflicting reports from the people who have travelled in the passt. Any updates please.
The only two check posts that are strictly checking for RTPCR (in spite of 2 dose vaccine) are Makkutta (Kannur - KA border) and Muthanga (Wayanad - KA border). Very high chances that there will be a checking at Muthanga check post if you take that route. You will not find this info on any websites or news paper. These are local restrictions.
Old 30th October 2021, 19:28   #13675

I travelled from Bangalore to Kochi on 30th October. Started early from Bangalore at 4:30 am. There were no checks on entry to Tamilnadu. Stopped on the way for breakfast at Adayar Ananda Bhavan Sandaipet Neikarapatti after Salem at 8:00 am. We continued to Kochi at 8:40 am and reached Kochi at 3:00 pm. At Walayar check post we are asked for epass and vaccination reports. When we took out the document the cop waved us ahead without eyeballing the report. We were fully vaccinated and also had RTPCR reports as we had a non vaccinated child.

There was an over 30 minute wait at Coimbatore bypass as the bypass was being repaired. It’s a single lane highway and the entire side was blocked for road repair with traffic controlled from one side.

The highway conditions are good till Coimbatore. The. Improves after you reach Kerala. Kerala highway roads are much better than TN and KA. Highway is still getting done in patches. Kutiran was a breeze because of the tunnel.
Old 31st October 2021, 07:36   #13676
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Travelled from Sultan Bathery to Mysore Via Muthunga yesterday. As the travel was unplanned had no time to take RTPCR test and took chnace. Left Pulpally by 5.45 am and was at the checkpost by 6.30 am. There were 4 guys stopping the incoming vehicles to KA and checking. I was driving BMW with KA registration and the gentleman asked my name and I had a prefix of Dr. No checking was done and was allowed to pass.Was it the brand of my car, the Dr. prefix or the KA registration, I am not sure.
I saw him collecting money from the rest of the car owners with KL registration and allowing them to pass through. It was really unfortunate.
I even doubt wether the guys checking were in any way connected to health /police dept. With no clarity from the Govt. unscrupulous elecments are making money. It is sad.
sumukha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 08:08   #13677
Distinguished - BHPian

Drove to Kozhikode from Bangalore via Mysore Wayanad. There was no checking at the border itself unlike last time when a vehicle was parked there. Was stopped at the RTO check post and he asked if I had the 'rt pcr / certificate things'..😀. I made a motion to take it out and he told us to go telling keep it handy there will be checking further down.. but no checking further down anywhere.

Towards Karnataka there was checking happening, but not sure what was being checked.

Took the Malavalli bannur Mysore road from Bangalore and this has started to become patchy with several deep potholes at frequent intervals. Seems to be an effect of the heavy rains recently. So be watchful when taking this route.
Old 31st October 2021, 09:05   #13678
BHPian

We drove from Bangalore to Trivandrum yesterday, via Madurai > Rajapalyam > Aryankavu > Thenmala.

The roads were pretty good on the Madurai > Trivandrum section, and helped us avoid the Nagercoil route and the associated traffic. We had to get down and show our KL e-pass, and our vaccination certificates at Aryankavu. There seemed to be a check for the TN e-pass in the reverse direction.
Aiel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 09:02   #13679
BHPian

Does anyone know if there are any Covid related checks happening for travellers entering Tamilnadu from Kerala ? Especially at Walayar checkpost. Wondering if they still insist on RT-PCR certificates.

Thanks.
Old 2nd November 2021, 09:09   #13680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsan View Post
Does anyone know if there are any Covid related checks happening for travellers entering Tamilnadu from Kerala ? Especially at Walayar checkpost. Wondering if they still insist on RT-PCR certificates.

Thanks.
As long as double vaccination certificate is there, you can cross over to Tamilnadu through Walayar.
rohitoasis is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed