Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2021, 21:03   #13741
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by vignesh.cv View Post
Me and my wife are double vaccinated, however kids are with us as well. Can anyone please help clarify whether the following are required for the travel?
  • e pass for KL for the onward and KA for the return journey?
  • RTPCR test for the kids - both ways?
Nothing is required for the onward journey to KL as of now. No ePass both ways. For your return (I assume it is through Muthanga), you will be asked for RTPCR test results regardless of your vaccination status. Small kids (usually less than 10yrs) are exempted.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 21:47   #13742
BHPian

Any idea about recent requirements at Puliyarai and Attibelle check posts in light of Omicron? I plan to drive this weekend in my KL car to Bangalore via Aryankavu-Madurai-Salem. All of us, except a toddler, are double vaccinated.
Old 9th December 2021, 12:34   #13743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Nothing is required for the onward journey to KL as of now. No ePass both ways. For your return (I assume it is through Muthanga), you will be asked for RTPCR test results regardless of your vaccination status. Small kids (usually less than 10yrs) are exempted.
Thank you. Does that mean it is sufficient to say I need to get RTPCR test done only on my way back.
Old 9th December 2021, 12:45   #13744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
Any idea about recent requirements at Puliyarai and Attibelle check posts in light of Omicron?
No sorts of checks when entering via Attibele. I just came through yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vignesh.cv View Post
Thank you. Does that mean it is sufficient to say I need to get RTPCR test done only on my way back.
That is correct.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 18:28   #13745
BHPian

Anybody planning travelling to Kerala through L&T bypass at Coimbatore during this weekend, please try to avoid travelling during work hours when the road work is going on. The stretch between Pollachi road signal (karpagam college)to madukarrai was choked for the entire stretch today. Add rain to it and it was a nightmare today. Maybe travelling during night might be better. The work is happening quite fast though, so should be better by next week. I will keep posted on the developments here
rohitoasis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 09:07   #13746
Senior - BHPian

Malayala Manorama (in its online edition) is reporting that the Kalady bridge over the Periyar will be closed for a week starting Monday 13/12.

Report (in Malayalam): https://www.manoramaonline.com/news/...be-closed.html

The bridge has been in very bad shape for a long time now. It is also narrow and the root cause of massive traffic jams in the area.

The alternate route suggested is:
  • Southbound travelers along NH 544 wishing to take MC Road to Perumbavur and beyond should continue till Aluva and take the AM Road/KSRTC Road (instead of exiting the NH at Angamaly).
  • Northbound travelers along the MC Road needing to connect to NH 544 should turn into AM Road/KSRTC Road at Perumbavur and join NH at Aluva.
There is a suggestion of using the Malayattoor bridge in the report but it is not clear who is allowed to do so (probably local traffic). If you are conversant with the area and bylanes you'd know there are two other bridges across the Periyar between Kalady and Aluva, bridges you can access from Aluva Desom itself and not be stuck in the traffic or one-way system of Aluva town.

Also not clear is the alternate arrangements for reaching Kochi airport, for those who'd take the Mattoor turnoff and are affected by this regulation.

If you are traveling during the affected week, I'd suggested budgeting an extra 2 hours for your trip.

Last edited by binand : 10th December 2021 at 09:08.
binand is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 15:45   #13747
BHPian

Guys, I am planning to go to Kerala tomorrow and return to TN on Sunday. Should I need to take RTPCR report ?

Edit: already taken two vaccine doses.

Last edited by amvj : 10th December 2021 at 15:48.
Old 10th December 2021, 15:54   #13748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
Guys, I am planning to go to Kerala tomorrow and return to TN on Sunday. Should I need to take RTPCR report ?

Edit: already taken two vaccine doses.
You need RTPCR only if you are entering to KA via any of the check posts bordering Calicut/Kannur/Kasargod districts. No where else an RTPCR is required.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2021, 16:49   #13749
Team-BHP Support

We drove to Kodungallur from Palakkad today. It’s been a long time since I’ve driven on the Salem - Cochin highway - today was the first time I drove through the Kuthiran tunnel so you can imagine!

All Roads to Kerala-dac88f8c0a664ea084ac3496a2630794.jpeg

A new toll plaza is coming up near Vadakencherry with a dozen booths. I hope all of them remain operational when it is functional.

Was surprised to see 3 + 3 lane after Vadakencherry till Thrissur bypass! Beautiful stretch - reminds me of the stretch from Vellore till Krishnagiri. Part of it was freshly laid without the lane markers. Can be hard during night. No speed cams in this stretch but the proposed speed limit is 100 kmph - I noticed a board with the limit.

Thanks to Google maps, we bypassed Thrissur town and the traffic by taking a diversion after Paliyekkara toll plaza.

Quite an eventful day!

1. During the onward journey, spotted the 369 black Land Cruiser from the 369 garage.

2. While returning, we spotted the Force Traveller carrying the mortal remains of IAF officer Pradeep with cops in the convoy. The road towards Cochin was totally blocked and the crowds were chanting and throwing flowers on the van.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2021, 19:48   #13750
BHPian

Entered Palakkad via Walayar and there are no checks. However, road construction is going on after Coimbatore. Expect 15-30 minute delay.

All Roads to Kerala-20211211_174156.jpg
amvj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2021, 20:22   #13751
BHPian

Are there currently any RTPCR/vaccination checks via Kanhangad-Sullia route to Bangalore?
Old 12th December 2021, 09:55   #13752
BHPian

Quote:
I just came through yesterday.
Did you happen to enter via Walayar? Were there any checks en route?
Old 12th December 2021, 19:38   #13753
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Thanks to Google maps, we bypassed Thrissur town and the traffic by taking a diversion after Paliyekkara toll plaza.
Did you bypass it after paying the toll or before it?

Can you post the map?
Old 12th December 2021, 19:46   #13754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Did you bypass it after paying the toll or before it?
It is most likely the Urakam exit from NH 544 at Pudukkad, and onwards via Irinjalakkuda to Kondungallur. Pudukkad-Urakam-Thriprayar is, in my opinion, the best way to connect to NH 66 from NH 544 when driving Kochi-Kozhikode.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 08:27   #13755
BHPian

Update on road works at L&T Coimbatore bypass. From my discussion with the people working. The work is expected to be completed in next three days. Worst case scenario by this weekend, the roads would be free of these blocks. The road quality is now massive improvement from earlier and reminds me of the heydays of this road. If you are riding close to the shoulder, please be careful. The height difference is now huge. Close to 3-4 inches.
rohitoasis is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed