Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2021, 11:02   #13786
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
What about children below 18 ?
Do they need a RT-PCR for travel to Kerala with their fully vaccinated parents ?
My kid ( aged 5) is travelling to Kerala by flight. The airline ( Air Asia) confirmed she needs a RT PCR. Unfortunately since the stay is for 4 days she needs to take one more on the return too.
anandhsub is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 11:29   #13787

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonjose View Post
Kalady bridge opened from today after maintenance.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=97DuK4Ica3I
(Sorry, the video is in Malayalam)
Update from my Bangalore-Kottayam trip yesterday (Dec 19th). It was a good drive over all except for the blockage in Coimbatore L&T By-pass. Only one lane was opened for a small stretch near to a signal as the asphalting work was in progress on the other. It took close to 40-45 minutes to pass this. There was no COVID related checking neither in Attibele or Walayar. Just drove pass both the borders. . After entering Kerala also the traffic was less compared to my previous experiences, probably being a Sunday. Passed through Kuthiran tunnel for the first time. I was a good experience 😊 I took MC road and passed through Kalady bridge. The bridge is open from 18th. Google map was yet to be updated and hence was suggesting alternate route, but you can continue via Kaladay bridge.
Old 21st December 2021, 13:08   #13788
Distinguished - BHPian

Drove to Bangalore today. Started at 3.30am and reached home at 11am.

1) Are those average speed cams working? I was driving below 90 till Walayar but many cars were doing well over the speed limit but didn't see any flash. WAZE app isn't fully updated with those average speed cams.
2) There was the bird flu checkpost just after Walayar with barricades placed on the road. Could see a cop in the makeshift shed but no checks. Didn't see on the other side as well (towards Kerala).
3) Very less traffic towards KA with 90% trucks but could see lot of cars towards KL.
4) L&T bypass is fully re-laid now and wide. But wish they had proper lane markings.
5) I couldn't even see any checkposts/barricades while entering KA. Might bring it back after Xmas when majority of the crowd will drive back after the vacation.

I had taken TN epass, final vaccine certificate and RTPCR tests with me.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 13:26   #13789
Team-BHP Support

Till what year is L&T doing the BOLT operations for the Coimbatore bypass? Is it 2024? I recall reading something along those lines in the RTI screenshot posted here sometime back.
Old 22nd December 2021, 10:58   #13790

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
I had taken TN epass, final vaccine certificate and RTPCR tests with me.
How did you take the TN ePass? When I tried it was not showing the option for transit pass.
Old 22nd December 2021, 12:20   #13791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
My parents travelled from Kerala to Bangalore and back last week. Their KL registered car was flagged down at Attibele checkpost, and RT-PCR results verified. By verified, I mean, the personnel scanned the QR code in the report, waited for the OTP to be sent to the mobile phones (which took forever) and finally verified it. At the same time, many private buses with KA and NL (sleeper buses) and other vehicles coming from KL were passing by without being stopped.
Bit curious about RT-PCR QR code verification with OTP. If you do the QR code scan of any rtpcr certificate, a link for downloading the soft copy will be generated. This article also suggest similar info.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/85767429.cms
Old 22nd December 2021, 12:29   #13792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How did you take the TN ePass? When I tried it was not showing the option for transit pass.
The site hasn't been showing an option for transit pass for quite a long time. An exit pass would do just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_breathing View Post
Bit curious about RT-PCR QR code verification with OTP...
I was only paraphrasing what was told - my guess is, they were verifying the SRF ID which is also embedded in the QR code.

Last edited by silversteed : 22nd December 2021 at 12:30.
silversteed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 12:56   #13793
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There's no transit option. Since many BHPians mentioned that this pass is just a formality, I selected "coming into TN" option, "Walayar" checkpost, destination as Krishnagiri and gave my Bangalore address.

Planning to do the same during my return drive. Maybe give as "Leaving TN".
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 07:27   #13794
BHPian

Hello,
I want to make a short trip to Coimbatore from Thrissur, can someone guide me if any Rtpcr is being Checked at Walayar, both in/out. My wife and I are fully vaccinated. Also will i have to take an TN epass? Is it being checked.
Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd December 2021, 08:07   #13795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
Hello,
I want to make a short trip to Coimbatore from Thrissur, can someone guide me if any Rtpcr is being Checked at Walayar, both in/out. My wife and I are fully vaccinated. Also will i have to take an TN epass? Is it being checked.
Thanks in advance.
Just came to Ernakulam yesterday. Zero checking at Walayar. In fact this being the first time I am driving down on this road I didn't even realize I had crossed the checkpost until I saw the signboards in Malayalam and the speed cameras.

Not sure about the other side but I don't remember seeing any vehicles being stopped.
anandhsub is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 08:49   #13796
BHPian

Seasons greetings to the forum. I am assuming people who are heading down to Kerala to enjoy the Christmas eve Carol singing may want to start today evening. So here is an update on Walayar border as of today morning.

The road towards Kerala is now hassle free. No border checks. No need for any E pass or RT PCR while entering Kerala. L&T Bypass also has good road quality now but still lacks the white marking. So please drive carefully as people with no lane sense would make it hard for the rest of road users.

So happy holidays to all. Please be safe as well.

Now coming to road towards Tamilnadu. There is a small hiccup as of today morning. At the Walayar border, a barrier was blocking bang in the centre of the road today. Nobody was manning the shamiana nearby. So i am assuming it could be remnants of some Excise or Drug Check from previous day. I do not think it would be anything to do with COVID checks. I have office tomorrow as well. So i will monitor the situation till tomorrow evening and update here if anything significant develops on this situation.

Edit:
I was too early to announce that L&T Bypass will be hassle free. The toll near Madukarrai seems to have some problem. There was more than a kilometre long queue there today evening. I think fast tag was working because I could not find anyone carrying the manual tag reading gun. Could not stop and enquire reason for the hold up though. Rest of the stretch does not seem to have a block. So please do check if the maps show red before taking the bypass at Neelambur.

Also the barricade blocking the road towards Tamilnadu was still there in the evening and was not manned. So maybe it is kept there only to control speeding cars.

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd December 2021 at 18:57. Reason: As requested
rohitoasis is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 08:29   #13797
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
Now coming to road towards Tamilnadu. There is a small hiccup as of today morning. At the Walayar border, a barrier was blocking bang in the centre of the road today. Nobody was manning the shamiana nearby. So i am assuming it could be remnants of some Excise or Drug Check from previous day. I do not think it would be anything to do with COVID checks. I have office tomorrow as well. So i will monitor the situation till tomorrow evening and update here if anything significant develops on this situation.
This is the bird flu checkpost barricade. I could see someone sleeping in the shed when I passed it on 21st Dec. No checks on both sides (it was early morning though).
Old 24th December 2021, 09:11   #13798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
This is the bird flu checkpost barricade. I could see someone sleeping in the shed when I passed it on 21st Dec. No checks on both sides (it was early morning though).
I understand the one you are talking about. I know you are talking about the one i have marked in the image near the A2B restaurant.
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  35.1 KB

I am talking about a new one set up just near the small bridge at Walayar. I have marked its location also here. Unlike the other barriers which are usually set up on the edges of the road, this on is bang in the middle of the road with small gaps on either side. The cars coming from Palakkad in the downslope are pretty fast here. This one comes as a surprise and many have to brake pretty recklessly here.

Today morning's update on the Toll at Madukkarai towards Kerala. Was not crowded at all. Two cars i saw crossed the toll without hassle. So if it was a problem with fast tag, seems to have been solved now.
Old 24th December 2021, 16:33   #13799
anb
BHPian

I have travelled via Pathanamthitta- Ranny- Plachery- Erumely road yesterday. More than 90% of the roadworks between Pathanamthitta and Plachery is completed. Here is a 9 minutes video of the Pathanamthitta- Plachery stretch.

anb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 10:57   #13800
Senior - BHPian

Last week I drove to Tuticorin and back from Trivandrum. The state of the road between Nagercoil and Marthandam was pathetic. I assume the recent rainfalls had an effect but don't see any tarring work going on other in Nagercoil town limits.

Is there any alternate routes to consider? I remember taking a route that skipped marthandam and joining Nagercoil just outside of Gowri Shankar hotel.

And any update on the alternate route that traverses via vellarada and joins aralvaimozhi?
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed