Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2022, 08:59   #13816
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
Drove to Bangalore via Aryankavu-Rajapalayam-Madurai-Salem. TN COVID check post is still active at Puliyarai. We have to park by the roadside and walk up to the counter and get the details verified. Vaccination certificates and TN ePass are still getting checked diligently, kind of felt they were more strict about the ePass rather than the vaccination certificate. We had both, so we moved on within 5 minutes. Roads were a mixed bag till Tirumangalam, courtesy the recent downpour.
Just registerd for TN Epass for travel upto Madurai. Strange there is no option of selecting the mode of transport as 2 wheeler. Had to register as a CAR .
Vasuki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 20:56   #13817
BHPian

Hi All, how are the roads from Mangalore to Cochin? Any recent experience? I have to drop my cousin at Cochin Airport next week and planning to drive down.
Thank you
Old 3rd January 2022, 21:05   #13818
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
Hi All, how are the roads from Mangalore to Cochin? Any recent experience? I have to drop my cousin at Cochin Airport next week and planning to drive down.
Thank you
While I don't know the latest road conditions, I think it would be safe to say that it would be a nightmare of a drive considering the traffic and the 2 lane roads. Would be a 10+ hour drive and if the intent is just to drop at airport, not worth it in my opinion. Better of taking a train to Thrissur or Angamaly and then take a cab.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 21:05   #13819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
Thank you
If you can, then please go by train.

May be you already know, this is a notorious route to drive. While the road conditions are good, it is the crazy traffic through out, choked city stretches, dangerous single carriage way which is the pain. I frequent Mangalore - Kannur stretch and have observed that the traffic has increased multifold off late. Lots of vehicles on the road and I literally crawl this stretch and do not enjoy much. I am sure it would be the same beyond Kannur as well.

The train journey far outweighs how much ever interest you have in driving. And especially this particular route where there are plenty of trains at any time of the day.

PS: The upcoming 4/6-lane expansion is the only remedy for this.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 3rd January 2022 at 21:09.
balenoed_ is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 21:13   #13820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Better of taking a train to Thrissur or Angamaly and then take a cab.
Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
If you can, go by train.
Thank you very much for the quick response. I have not really driven this stretch beyond Kasaragod and was hoping the conditions to be better beyond Kasaragod. The drive till Kasaragod itself is very stressful. We will now take the train for sure. Thanks again.
Old 4th January 2022, 07:50   #13821
BHPian

Drove down from Blr to Palakkad yesterday. Very less car traffic than usual and was able to maintain good speeds throughout. CBE by-pass surface has become super smooth.

No checks at the borders as mentioned by many others. Will travel back to Bangalore on Friday and will update on how the return went.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th January 2022 at 09:15. Reason: Spacing, Blr > Bangalore.
TSIVTEC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 15:59   #13822
Senior - BHPian

Drove from Palakkad to Bangalore on Saturday night. Crossed Walayar at around midnight, and entered Bangalore at Attibele at around 04:45. Roads were relatively free of passenger cars, and no checking anywhere. Extensively used cruise control.

The L&T bypass is resurfaced. Lane markings are not done, Shoulders are, though. Surprisingly all lanes are open on all toll booths on this stretch - which is good because that's where long and slow moving lorries could be safely overtaken.
Old 4th January 2022, 19:03   #13823
BHPian

Some good news for Coimbatore bypass users. MoRTH has set the ball rolling on 4-laning the bypass:

Name:  Screenshot 20220104.png
Views: 974
Size:  21.2 KB

https://eprocure.gov.in/eprocure/app

Last edited by darklord : 4th January 2022 at 19:04.
darklord is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 08:09   #13824
BHPian

So the news about checks at Tamilnadu border would have worried a lot of people in this thread. Update as on 7:20 AM at Walayar border is that there was no stopping or diversion into the service lane as of today. If something concrete develops by today evening. I will update here. If i fail to do so, there is no significant development worth reporting. Neverthless, will make a report by Friday morning for the weekend travellers.
rohitoasis is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 08:48   #13825
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

On behalf of all of us following this thread here, I am taking this moment to express our heartfelt thanks to @rohitoasis , who has been unrelenting and regular with his updates on this thread, regarding the checks/no-checks @walayar border.
Thank you Rohit.
venkyhere is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 08:30   #13826
BHPian

Let me give a brief of what i have observed across Walayar border. I was holding up to give an update till i had something concrete to report. I myself am confused about the guidelines i could see in the internet. I am really not sure what is meant by "standard protocols" meant for interstate travel.

Towards Kerala : No announcement yet as i understand. The border has the two barriers partially blocking the road as it has been for the past few weeks. No checks of any sort. There was one cop i could see today morning. But no cars were being stopped.

Towards Tamilnadu: As of yesterday evening. I could see the barriers but no cops for any checking of any sort. As of today morning I was keeping by double vaccination certificate on standby. Today the entire traffic is now diverted to the service road. The entry of the service road has tonnes of gravel which was unsettling on my bike. Please be wary of braking distance and brake a few metres in advance. No cops at the Shamiana today morning. So i am not able to report what kind of "Standard Protocols" could be enacted if the cops appear. It is wait and watch for now. If i do see some updates i will keep this thread populated.
rohitoasis is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 14:18   #13827

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
Let me give a brief of what i have observed across Walayar border. I was holding up to give an update till i had something concrete to report. I myself am confused about the guidelines i could see in the internet. I am really not sure what is meant by "standard protocols" meant for interstate travel.

Towards Kerala : No announcement yet as i understand. The border has the two barriers partially blocking the road as it has been for the past few weeks. No checks of any sort. There was one cop i could see today morning. But no cars were being stopped.

Am planning to come to Alleppey via Coimbatore - Cochin route on 17th January. Please update the following if possible :- 1) Any Requirement of RT PCR tests at "Walayar" border. Have had both doses of Vaccine . Is this sufficient? 2) Anything else we should be prepared for.

Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 17:46   #13828
BHPian

Hi All,

Adding to the above requests, a few queries from my side wrt. travelling on the following route this weekend: Hyderabad -> Kurnool - Anantapur - Bangalore - Salem - Coimbatore- Thrissur.

1) Any e-pass requirements now?
2) Is RTPCR test required for any route? If yes is it needed for minors also?
3) Any other procedural /documentation requirements apart from carrying the double vaccinated certificate? Would soft copy (on phone) be sufficient?
4) As of now any of the above required on the return route?

Last edited by Ram78 : 7th January 2022 at 17:47.
Old 7th January 2022, 21:40   #13829

Travelled Thrissur - Bangalore(02 Jan) - Thrissur(06 Jan) this week.
We were 4 travellers (1<15 unvaccinated, all others double vaxers).
We carried RT-PCR Negative reports, TN e-pass (both ways) and KL epass(return)
No checks anywhere on either route.
Onward Journey: Crossed Walayar at about 06AM. Crossed Attibele at about 12:30PM
Return Journey: Crossed Attibele at about 11:30 AM. Crossed Walayar at about 06:00PM.
I have done this crossing now twice in the last 30 days. No checks!
Makes me wonder, if it's an absolute waste of time to get the travel passes and a waste of money to get the RT-PCRs
Yatra Moksha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 08:09   #13830
Senior - BHPian

Entry to Karnataka from Kannur via Makutta checkpost has been blocked till Monday morning citing weekend curfew in KA. whoever is traveling, please plan accordingly.
sandsun7 is online now   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks