Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2022, 09:02   #13951
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 6,980
Thanked: 9,360 Times
Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
Is there any construction going on between Salem to Kochi (either direction) ? Gmaps is showing some road block and congestion on this route
There are 2 flyovers being constructed on either sides of the Omalur toll. Also, if i remember correctly, couple years ago, there were 2 more flyovers being constructed after Salem, not sure about current status of those.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2022, 09:31   #13952
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,248
Thanked: 4,645 Times
Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Also, if i remember correctly, couple years ago, there were 2 more flyovers being constructed after Salem, not sure about current status of those.
I think 5, of which 2 are operational and remaining 3 are still under construction (Nov 2021).
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2022, 11:38   #13953
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 183
Thanked: 904 Times
Re: All Roads to Kerala

Hi Guys,

Planning a trip to Thekkady during the second week of April. Didnt find any recent threads on Thekkady, hence posting it here since this thread gets more traffic.

Routewise, I am familiar with the route till Theni. Anything to watch out for from Theni to Thekkady ?

Regarding things to do in Thekkady, probably, April is not the best time to be there. One day will go for the boat ride and other tourist attractions, if it is not too crowded.

The map for Thekkady town is filled with resorts and restaurants and numerous hill roads. So firstly, any recommendation for authentic veg friendly Kerala food in the town ?
And also, we will have 2 more days of spare time. Thinking of doing day trips, explore some nearby roads, within 1-2 hrs of drive time, probably to a nice homestay for food or any other interesting place with less crowd and good approach roads. I see that Vagamon is nearby, any such recommendations ?
mankuthimma is offline  
Old 28th March 2022, 20:37   #13954
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10
Thanked: 7 Times
Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I guess your trip would already be done but adding in a comment anyways. From/to Tirur I usually prefer the palakkad-salem route.
Started at 6:30 AM and took the Nadugani route. Full route taken was Tirur - Kotakkal - Manjeri - Nilambur - Gudalur - Mudumalai/Bandipur forest - Gundlepet -Mysore - Srirangapatna - detour through NH150A to Mangalore/Bangalore highway - Nelmangala - Hebbal - Whitefield.

As per Google maps, the Mysore Road route was shorter by some 45 km and 3 mins but I would have saved more time in reality. I think taking this route makes more sense to the time Mysore road works are done especially for people in Bangalire East.

Reached home at 5:30 PM with a 15m tea break at Gudalur and a 45m lunch break at Mysore (Hotel Ambara).

NH150A is a breeze to drive on but a bit scary with no divider and crazy drivers and bikers doing dangerous speeds. NH75 was chock a block as always but thankfully moving traffic.

Will take Rajeevraj's advice and take the Palakkad route henceforth.
rakesh.rvn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 09:25   #13955
Senior - BHPian
 
sandsun7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,065
Thanked: 1,185 Times
Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh.rvn View Post
Started at 6:30 AM and took the Nadugani route. Full route taken was Tirur - Kotakkal - Manjeri - Nilambur - Gudalur - Mudumalai/Bandipur forest - Gundlepet -Mysore - Srirangapatna - detour through NH150A to Mangalore/Bangalore highway - Nelmangala - Hebbal - Whitefield.
How is the road condition on Nilambur-Vazhikadavu-Nadugani-Gudalur? This is one stretch we do not have any recent updates.
sandsun7 is offline  
Old 29th March 2022, 11:47   #13956
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10
Thanked: 7 Times
Re: All Roads to Kerala

Roads on the Kerala side are in good condition except for one small horrendous patch (just about one bus length) near the state border where the road is washed away and big stones are jutting out. Roads are worse on the TN side of the ghat with multiple patches of broken roads. Post the ghat section, roads till Gudalur are decent.
rakesh.rvn is offline  
Old 29th March 2022, 14:05   #13957
ike
BHPian
 
ike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KL-08/Chennai
Posts: 611
Thanked: 1,267 Times
Re: All Roads to Kerala

Travelled Chennai - Trivandrum - Kollam - Madurai - Chennai last week.

The roads from Chennai till Kavalkinar (where you get off the magnificent NH44 towards Nagercoil) are just delightful. The less said about the messed up roads between Nagercoil the better. This has been the case ever since I can remember, wonder when they will get around to fixing that road.

The Kollam - Madurai section had dense traffic on the KL side till Thenmala. The roads are just OK and passes through many small towns.

Madurai - Chennai is a breeze and the progress was quick till the Parannur toll plaza post which here was lots of city bound traffic.
ike is offline  
Old 6th April 2022, 15:33   #13958
M35
BHPian
 
M35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SZX
Posts: 797
Thanked: 2,107 Times
Aluva-Perumbavur-Kothamangalam road condition?

Has anyone done the Aluva-Perumbavur-Kothamangalam stretch recently? It's been bad for some time now with poorly done patchwork leading to a bumpy surface. Any update?
Thanks in advance
M35 is offline  
Old 7th April 2022, 07:47   #13959
Senior - BHPian
 
longhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,510
Thanked: 1,469 Times
Re: Aluva-Perumbavur-Kothamangalam road condition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Has anyone done the Aluva-Perumbavur-Kothamangalam stretch recently? It's been bad for some time now with poorly done patchwork leading to a bumpy surface. Any update?
Thanks in advance
Aluva - Perumbavoor (transport route) is pretty okay - still has the bumpiness due to the patchwork but is manageable. Perumbavoor - Kothamangalam is not so good once you cross Kuruppampady. This was the state as of mid February.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 09:27   #13960
M35
BHPian
 
M35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SZX
Posts: 797
Thanked: 2,107 Times
Re: Aluva-Perumbavur-Kothamangalam road condition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Aluva - Perumbavoor (transport route) is pretty okay - still has the bumpiness due to the patchwork but is manageable. Perumbavoor - Kothamangalam is not so good once you cross Kuruppampady. This was the state as of mid February.
Thanks. For the same reason ( and the density of vehicles in that route), I am thinking of taking a drive via Muvattupuzha. My start point is Seaport-Airport road at Thrikakkara/Kakkanad!
M35 is offline  
Old 8th April 2022, 06:44   #13961
BHPian
 
Sree73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 806
Thanked: 996 Times
Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Speed cams and sending challan to the registered address is a norm across India now.
I think KA is still left behind in this speed race
I had 4 tickets between Walayar & Vadakkanchery (two directions put together) when I travelled few months before.

Thought KA vehicles are not ticketed in Kerala and merrily contributed Rs 6000 towards a fund crunch Govt.

Traveling this week and now will be careful not to exceed speed of 95 which is the limit.
Sree73 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 07:30   #13962
M35
BHPian
 
M35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SZX
Posts: 797
Thanked: 2,107 Times
Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
I had 4 tickets between Walayar & Vadakkanchery (two directions put together) when I travelled few months before.
Was your car caught by those fixed cameras or mobile MVD squads?
M35 is offline  
Old 8th April 2022, 07:39   #13963
Senior - BHPian
 
longhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,510
Thanked: 1,469 Times
Re: Aluva-Perumbavur-Kothamangalam road condition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Thanks. For the same reason ( and the density of vehicles in that route), I am thinking of taking a drive via Muvattupuzha. My start point is Seaport-Airport road at Thrikakkara/Kakkanad!
From Thrikakkara/Kakkanad, you should probably just go via Kangarappady, Pukattupady, Chembarkky to Perumbavoor. It is the shortest route and the road conditions are really good upto Perumbavoor. The roads may not be wide until Pukattupady, but absolutely no complaints with regard to the road surface. Moreover this route doesn't have much traffic till you reach Perumbavoor town. Perumbavoor - Kothamangalam has a few rough patches where you have to go slow but is overall still doable.

Alternatively you can take the InfoPark expressway, Puthencruz, Kolenchery, Muvattuppuzha route to Kothamangalam. Road conditions are good throughout but you can expect some traffic from Puthencruz all the way till Kothamangalam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
I had 4 tickets between Walayar & Vadakkanchery (two directions put together) when I travelled few months before. Traveling this week and now will be careful not to exceed speed of 95 which is the limit.
Are you sure that 95 kmph is the limit? My understanding is that it is 90 kmph for NH in Kerala (4 lane). For the six lane stretch between Vadakkanchery & Mannuthy the speed limit is 100 kmph.

Last edited by longhorn : 8th April 2022 at 07:50.
longhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 08:03   #13964
M35
BHPian
 
M35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SZX
Posts: 797
Thanked: 2,107 Times
Re: Aluva-Perumbavur-Kothamangalam road condition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
It is the shortest route and the road conditions are really good upto Perumbavoor. The roads may not be wide until Pukattupady, but absolutely no complaints with regard to the road surface. Moreover this route doesn't have much traffic till you reach Perumbavoor town. Perumbavoor - Kothamangalam has a few rough patches where you have to go slow but is overall still doable.
Yes. We usually take this route and it's excellent until you hit the Aluva - Perumbavur road. I just hate that Perumbavur-Kothamangalam stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post

Alternatively you can take the InfoPark expressway, Puthencruz, Kolenchery, Muvattuppuzha route to Kothamangalam. Road conditions are good throughout but you can expect some traffic from Puthencruz all the way till Kothamangalam.
Thanks. This is the one I am thinking of taking today. I will update here post the trip.
M35 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 08:38   #13965
BHPian
 
Sree73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 806
Thanked: 996 Times
Re: Aluva-Perumbavur-Kothamangalam road condition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Are you sure that 95 kmph is the limit? My understanding is that it is 90 kmph for NH in Kerala (4 lane). For the six lane stretch between Vadakkanchery & Mannuthy the speed limit is 100 kmph.
I remember seeing few signboards specifying Cars - 95. But, now when you specify 90, Little doubtful on what I remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Was your car caught by those fixed cameras or mobile MVD squads?
It was caught by the fixed cameras.
Another issue I faced was the Car got blacklisted after the fine. The blacklist status did not get clear even after paying the fine online.
Had to write to RTO Kozhikode (This comes under them - Do not know why) and then got it removed from the mParivahan status.

Last edited by Sree73 : 8th April 2022 at 09:07.
Sree73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2023, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks