Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2022, 10:03   #14251
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Planning to drive to Guruvayur this week and thinking of going via Mysore. How is the road condition via Nilambur? Is it worth taking instead of Coimbatore with a 5AM start from HSR Layout?
Old 20th December 2022, 10:10   #14252
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk View Post
My question is whether they have started giving out challans for speeding above 80kmph on that stretch? Are they functional? ...Couple of the speed traps weren't working, guessing by their speed display being off and all these might be newly installed too? (Driving through here after an year)...Noticed there are speed traps on the return direction too.
So they have started functioning?

Saw these a couple of times, but they were not functional. Add to that they have kept it on those arrow straight roads.

An 80km/h limit is ridiculous on those stretches, even the narrow, undivided, high traffic Kerala roads masquerading as highways have an 80km/h limit. Would be money grab if they put any limits lesser than 100km/h in the Madurai- Tirunelveli stretch.

Only if they did half the work in changing the 90° junctions instead of putting metal barricades in the middle of the road.
Old 20th December 2022, 11:16   #14253
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
I expect most of to be driving down to Kerala for Christmas and New year.
What's the current status of the Coimbatore bypass Rohit? Would be driving from Palakkad to Chennai this Sunday and intend to start at 6 AM.
Old 20th December 2022, 11:26   #14254
pms
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subincb View Post
I am planning the same route on 23rd Dec. Would be nice to know the road condition.
One of my cousins is taking the same route to Kollam tomorrow. Will get to know the road conditions and will share the same here. Around 3 months back, for a changé, I took the Blr-Salem-Pkd-Ekm-Allpy-Kollam route. It was time time consuming and tiring after Thrissur. Had to take an extended break of 1.5hrs in Ekm at wife's place before resuming the journey to Kollam
pms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2022, 15:05   #14255
pms
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Planning to drive to Guruvayur this week and thinking of going via Mysore. How is the road condition via Nilambur? Is it worth taking instead of Coimbatore with a 5AM start from HSR Layout?
This would take longer time for sure unless you want to try a different route. Fastest route to Thrissur & Guruvayur is still via Salem-Cbr-Plkd.
pms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2022, 16:23   #14256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
What's the current status of the Coimbatore bypass Rohit? Would be driving from Palakkad to Chennai this Sunday and intend to start at 6 AM.
Was just thinking of giving you update by Whatsapp. Opened the thread and saw your message.

Coimbatore L&T Bypass is clean as a whistle. No issues at all.
The road work between L&T Bypass and Walayar is now concentrated on the stretch towards Kerala. So only people driving towards Kerala will have some delay. Not the other way round.

The direction from Palakkad to Chennai would not have any problem at all. Just some scraped off surface to drive down for that 12 Km stretch.
Within Kerala the only issue is half a kilometre at Naragampalli bridge. 2 Minutes max to cross that stretch.

Safe drive ahead.
rohitoasis is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 13:12   #14257

Hi, I am planning to drive from Vadakara to Bangalore on new year eve. What would be the best route to take?
1. Vadakara - Calicut - bathery - Gundulpet - Mysore - Bangalore
2. Vadakara - Iritty - Makutta - Gonikoppa - Hunsur - Mandya - Bangalore
3. Or any other routes, kindly recommend
Old 21st December 2022, 14:10   #14258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferokan View Post
Hi, I am planning to drive from Vadakara to Bangalore on new year eve. What would be the best route to take?
I'd say Vadakara-Kuttyadi-Mananthavady-Mysore could be the shortest.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 22:53   #14259
BHPian

Hello All,
We will be travelling to Kochi (Near to Cherai beach) and while coming back , i was thinking of taking the Athirapalli road via Chalakudi to Valparai and back to Coimbatore (Will be staying a night at my uncle's place)

Next day, Start back to bangalore.

Any experience on road conditions between Chalakudi and Valparai?

Thanks in Advance
Old 22nd December 2022, 06:31   #14260
BHPian

I drove from Bangalore to Thekkedy today via Salem-Dindigul-Theni. Roads are excellent all the way till Thekkedy with only minor diversions due to overbridge construction. Single lane road after Dinidigul is manageable and you get long empty stretches from time to time for overtaking.

Started at 5:30 and reached by 2 pm with easy driving at sane speeds.

I am next driving to Kumarakom . How is the route from Thekkedy To Kumarakom ? Any must see view points along the route ?

Last edited by vivek.ks : 22nd December 2022 at 06:33. Reason: Added trip timings.
vivek.ks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 00:57   #14261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper21 View Post
Any experience on road conditions between Chalakudi and Valparai?
Conditions in the first half of the stretch is decent, but the road becomes worse as you get into the forest stretch after Vazhachal. The last 25-30 kms is totally pothole ridden, so expect to drive very slowly - especially if you're in a low GC vehicle.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2022, 08:38   #14262
BHPian

We drove from Bangalore to Kodungallur on 22nd. It was a pretty smooth drive, with reasonable amounts of traffic on the way.

I used Waze to track all the speed cameras on the way, and nearly all of them were recorded on Waze, with the app providing alerts accordingly. All of the speed cameras were fixed, except one mobile camera, which was stationed near the Neliyampathy forest stretch.
Old 25th December 2022, 04:26   #14263
BHPian

Guys is the Wayand ghat roads open after the recent long wide body trailer crossing the area? Planning to drive down today to calicut from Bangalore.
Old 25th December 2022, 08:18   #14264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint_Krish View Post
Guys is the Wayand ghat roads open after the recent long wide body trailer crossing the area? Planning to drive down today to calicut from Bangalore.
That was an overnight operation and they cleared it in few hours.
I am driving down tomorrow. Would be good if you could report anything to be aware of, after your drive. Thanks.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 08:18   #14265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint_Krish View Post
It is open, the trailers crossed over a couple of nights ago. There was a huge traffic jam on the ghat yesterday which lasted almost the whole day, started by a bus breakdown and compounded by the holiday traffic. Today should be better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks