Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2022, 09:18   #14266
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Traveling from Palakkad to Mysore now. Can someone tell me till what time Nilambur to Gudalur traffic is allowed/gate closes at Nilambur side?

Similar question for Gudalur to Bandipur

I think that it's 9pm for both. But want to get the latest.
Old 25th December 2022, 09:30   #14267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Traveling from Palakkad to Mysore now. Can someone tell me till what time Nilambur to Gudalur traffic is allowed/gate closes at Nilambur side?

Similar question for Gudalur to Bandipur

I think that it's 9 pm for both. But want to get the latest.
It is 9 PM for both sides.
on Mysore-Gudalur direction, the gate is closed at the Bandipur sanctuary gate, not sure about where it closes on the Gudalur- Mysore side.

But why Gudalur route for Palakkad to Mysore? isn't the Coimbatore - Sathy- Chamarajnagar faster ?

Last edited by sandsun7 : 25th December 2022 at 09:31.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 10:22   #14268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
It is 9 PM for both sides.
on Mysore-Gudalur direction, the gate is closed at the Bandipur sanctuary gate, not sure about where it closes on the Gudalur- Mysore side.

But why Gudalur route for Palakkad to Mysore? isn't the Coimbatore - Sathy- Chamarajnagar faster ?
Thanks. The alternative route is just to enjoy the landscapes as the Sathy-Hasanur route is our usual.
Old 25th December 2022, 14:50   #14269
BHPian

Happy to report that the Wayanad Ghat roads are all clear albeit some increased tourist activity and therefore some extra cars parked on the roadsides lol.
Saint_Krish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 15:43   #14270
BHPian

Palakkad to Nilambur (Mannarkad-Melattur-Kalikavu) no major traffic today, but road widening on in some parts. Some traffic around the teak museum at Nilambur.
Old 25th December 2022, 17:24   #14271
BHPian

Kochi to Bangalore Start at 3.41 am. Electronic City elevated road toll gate at 11.52 am. 2 stops in between. Bio Break at Indian Oil COCO Swagat Kangayapalayam on the Highway. The ladies toilets were really bad. Gents was in the process of being cleaned. Breakfast stop at Radisson Blu Salem.

As reported in earlier posts Post Walayar road surfaces slightly rough as a layer has been removed in preparation for the relaying. No major traffic or hold ups Enroute.
Old 26th December 2022, 08:47   #14272
BHPian

My brother-in-law and family is thinking of driving from Thrissur to Kollur-Mookambika. How is the road condition from Calicut to Kasargode. Is the widening work still going on ?
Old 26th December 2022, 21:07   #14273
avk
BHPian

Looking for suggestions for a good breakfast place after kazhakoottam on the road to Kollam.
Old 27th December 2022, 07:52   #14274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk View Post
Looking for suggestions for a good breakfast place after kazhakoottam on the road to Kollam.
I have seen pretty large number of vehicles parked in front of New Sprabhatham just before you reach Kallambalam. So I'm guessing it must be good. Never been inside, so personally cannot comment on the quality .
ask_017 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2022, 10:30   #14275
Senior - BHPian

Planning a trip to Thoothukudi from Ernakulam on Sunday. Google and common sense shows route via Tenkasi and it shows a time of approx 9Hrs.

Now my weird head is thinking of going via Thrissur onto Dindigul - Madurai and then to Thoothukudi. Funnily enough, time is almost similar but should have better scope of bringing the time down thanks to the highways (?).

Am i nuts?
Old 27th December 2022, 16:49   #14276
avk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask_017 View Post
I have seen pretty large number of vehicles parked in front of New Sprabhatham just before you reach Kallambalam. So I'm guessing it must be good. Never been inside, so personally cannot comment on the quality .
Coincidentally we stopped here for breakfast today morning. It was good and economical 😊
avk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 09:25   #14277
BHPian

Returned to Bangalore from Palakkad yesterday. The toll has increased to Rs 835, didn't notice the increase during the September trip.
The trailers carrying the wind turbine blades is now the major bottleneck. The uphill drive at Thoppur ghat was blocked for some time and this resulted in slow moving traffic uphill all the way through.
Old 31st December 2022, 10:05   #14278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Planning a trip to Thoothukudi from Ernakulam on Sunday. Google and common sense shows route via Tenkasi and it shows a time of approx 9Hrs.

Now my weird head is thinking of going via Thrissur onto Dindigul - Madurai and then to Thoothukudi. Funnily enough, time is almost similar but should have better scope of bringing the time down thanks to the highways (?).

Am i nuts?
I did the reverse trip a few years back and unfortunately had to enter Ernakulam during evening peak traffic. It was tiring to say the least. For someone who has been used to TN highways, the time for the distance traveled number keeps haunting and the fatigue is quite high owing to the landscape, even when we shared the driving time between couple of us. It’s a few years back so not sure about the road improvements since then but you are not wrong in thinking about the alternative definitely !!
Old 1st January 2023, 17:40   #14279
BHPian

Made a quick round to Bangalore - Kerala during Christmas vacation. The drive was through Bangalore - Guruvayur - Poonjar - Pandalam - Edappally - Pandalam - Dindigul - Bangalore.

Of the entire drive, the dreaded stretch was Coimbatore l&t bypass, I drove that stretch in a very wrong time.

Started from Bangalore at December 23rd 1pm. Toll booths were moderately crowded post Salem which was giving us enough indications what to expect on the way further. Reached Coimbatore l&t bypass around 6.30. Then it took 1 hour 40 minutes to cover this bypass. At all the signals, traffic were blocked up 2-3 km, signal lights were ON and it was in just 30 seconds for the highway.

After that it was easy drive and reached Guruvayur by 10 pm.

Nothing to complain about drive around Kerala. Roads are almost good except few stretches between Thrissur and Guruvayur.

And while coming back on 30th December, decided to take Pandalam - Kumily - Dindigul - Bangalore. Started at 4.50am and reached home(near Akshay Nagar) at 3pm. It was very relaxed drive. All the major town bypasses are open between Kumily and Dindigul.

When we will get a relief from this Coimbatore l&t bypass trouble? Is it make sense to drive through Coimbatore city or any other alternative? Anyway if I get a choice I will not take this route any more.
Old 1st January 2023, 19:00   #14280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu75 View Post
When we will get a relief from this Coimbatore l&t bypass trouble? Is it make sense to drive through Coimbatore city or any other alternative? Anyway if I get a choice I will not take this route any more.
The alternative is(while coming from Salem) leave NH544 at Avinashi and then head to Palladam-Pollachi-Kozhinjampara-Elappully-Para-Kootupatha (where you rejoin the NH544).

NH544 at Avinashi to NH544 at Kootupatha usually takes about 2-2.5hrs /120kms. State highways in Tamil Nadu are in mint condition and wide.I used to regularly take Perundurai-Kangayam-Palladam-Pollachi-Meenakshipuram-Kollengode-Nemmara-Vadakkencheri during the time when the 4 laning work was in progress and it used to be a peaceful drive amidst the real and beautiful villages of kerala and among the lush green paddy fields Now that the 4 lane is available the only pain points are the L&T BP and the unpredictable border crossing at Walayar,which is why i rejoin the highway after Kanjikode at Kootupatha.

https://goo.gl/maps/4gmFwQWq5T5w17W2A

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 1st January 2023 at 19:01. Reason: GMaps added
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks