Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2008, 08:11   #466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
Where in Bhavani is Saravana Bhavan? Any landmark? is it on the way or we have to take a detour?
No landmark really - this is the landmark. It is bang on the road (left side) with a big white-text-on-blue-board inside Bhavani town. No need to take a detour. Fairly straight roads there, so if you are speeding, you might miss this.

I've had breakfast and lunch there multiple times. Very good veg. food.

For clean toilets, unfortunately, you may've to wait beyond Perundurai (there is an IOC bunk - pretty big) or for some motels in Walayar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRider View Post
Hi all,

My usual route is Bangalore -> Mysore -> Gundalpet -> Bandipur -> Gudallur -> Nilambur -> Malappuram -> Kunnamkulam -> Guruvayur -> Kodungalloor -> Paravur -> Varapuzha -> Ernakulam.
As usual, Gundlupet - Bandipur is bad. Bandipur to Gudalur is not great, but not as bad. Why don't you take Nilambur - Perinthalmanna - Pattambi - Guruvayoor? It might be shorter. Roads till Pattambi are decent and doesn't have much traffic at all.

In Pattambi, a railway overbridge is getting built, so there is a very narrow road for cars to take. Other than that it is pretty neat.

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th December 2008 at 10:26. Reason: back to back posts
Old 24th December 2008, 08:20   #467
BHPian

latest road condition - mysore to thrissur

hi all
had been to thrissur and calicut yeaterday from mysore on my car.

The driving distance is like this - mysore ( k R Circle 0.0) to Gundalpet ( RTO junction) - 60 kms - good roads. Gundalpet to Gudalur - 46 kms - passing thro bandipur and madumalai forests - new tarmac and good , but the catch is in madumalai to gudalur - here for every 200mts of new tarmac surface they have left 2 mtrs of road unsurfaced ( intentionally to cut down the speed). so we have a dip of almost 6 inches and it really hutrs the car, coupled with lot of pot holes on this 2 mtrs surface.

The problem is more acute as the shades of the trees on either side makes it virtually a bobby trap.- Gudalur to TN border - 16 kms decent stretch. TN border till Nilambur road is in good condition.however the down hill road is once again getting new patches, and a toll for upcoming vehicles ( Rs 25 once way)is collected.Nilambur to Perinthalmanna is good stretch, and from perinthalmanna to Kunamkulam is also good without any pot holes!.As usual Kunamkulam to thrissur is in good condition. total distance is 260 kms from k r circle to Thrissur round.driving time is 7 hours with two breaks.

Driving to Calicut from thrissur: distance 123 kms. Road condition - from thrissur to Kunamkulam is good ( 20+kms), but from Kunamkulam till Kottakal, horrible roads and cars with low GC will take severe beating.Ac must as huge dust allover. very pathetic condition. However you drive, you cannot average more than 30Kms per hr. We made the distance in about 4 hours.looking at the way repair work is progressing, it could be well over couple of years before its completed.

driving on the calicut bye pass was breeze and no Spped guns there.However from Medical college to NH212 link is in very bad condition. NH212 till Mysore, no issues except for some bad patch after moolehole forest check post.Distance - Medical college to Mysore - 188 kms- driving time - 5 hours.

Note from Team-BHP Support: Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th December 2008 at 10:24. Reason: Search before opening new thread & Readability. Thanks
Old 24th December 2008, 10:57   #468
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by varghesepaul View Post
I am travelling to Angamali from Hyderabad tomorrow morning, plan to start from Hyderabad by 6am and should be in Bangalore by 2.30pm....am wondering if i should stay over in Bangalore or continue onwards till night(around 7pm).
My recommendation would be to take CBE route and stay in Salem town. There are hotels inside town but am not experienced enough to suggest.
Old 24th December 2008, 11:52   #469
Senior - BHPian

How is Cochin-Coimbatore road? Distance and time needed to travel. Can someone update.
Old 24th December 2008, 12:08   #470
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
How is Cochin-Coimbatore road? Distance and time needed to travel. Can someone update.
Road condition is pretty good, apart from few deviations due to 4 laning and few odd pot holes between TCR and PGT. I did leisurely drive at peak morning traffic (leaving 1015 from Cochin) and took about 2 hours 45 mts. This was on a working day.

Approx 230 kms IIRC have poor memory and log is at home.
Old 24th December 2008, 13:35   #471
Senior - BHPian

my last record was on 2001 ,when I did coimbatore(peelamed) to Muvattupuzha on my RX100 at 2 40 minutes non-stop(around 185kms).
Old 24th December 2008, 17:01   #472
BHPian

We did Cochin to Peelamedu in about 2:20 mins in a Scorpio. It was in the middle of the night though.

During the day , it was more like 4.30 :(
Old 24th December 2008, 17:25   #473
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
On 4th Dec, left house in Alleppey at 4.05AM, Aroor toll at 4.50AM and Coimbatore KG Hospital jn at 8.39AM.

On 9th Dec, left Walayar Motels, 9kms north of Palakkad at 13:45PM and reached home at 18:11PM.

Roads are fairly good.
Old 25th December 2008, 22:07   #474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Road condition is pretty good, apart from few deviations due to 4 laning and few odd pot holes between TCR and PGT. I did leisurely drive at peak morning traffic (leaving 1015 from Cochin) and took about 2 hours 45 mts. This was on a working day.

Approx 230 kms IIRC have poor memory and log is at home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
We did Cochin to Peelamedu in about 2:20 mins in a Scorpio. It was in the middle of the night though.

During the day , it was more like 4.30 :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
my last record was on 2001 ,when I did coimbatore(peelamed) to Muvattupuzha on my RX100 at 2 40 minutes non-stop(around 185kms).
Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

On 4th Dec, left house in Alleppey at 4.05AM, Aroor toll at 4.50AM and Coimbatore KG Hospital jn at 8.39AM.

On 9th Dec, left Walayar Motels, 9kms north of Palakkad at 13:45PM and reached home at 18:11PM.

Roads are fairly good.
Excellent guys. Thanks. I intent to start by 5am from Shertalla.
Old 29th December 2008, 07:09   #475
rippergeo

Cochin to coimbatore yesterday.
patches of bumpy roads before palghat, that smoothen out as we get closer to Palghat. Tolerable though.

2hr 30min trip maintaining steady 100-120. started at 5.30AM
Return trip at 2PM was a nightmare. took 4 hrs. Road was packed with aimless sunday drivers, overloaded trucks that could not do a 5 degree incline and plenty of Metal chicanes at each town worth 2 paise.

Old 29th December 2008, 10:04   #476
BHPian

Did a trip to guruvayoor , thiruvananthapuram-kollam road was in excellent condition . Surprisingly no broken turmac . And upto karunagappally (comes after kollam) it is ok . After that upto cherthala it is not very good , but no big potholes . And rest of the road is ok upto guruvayoor ( we took kodungallur route )

Last edited by swathyd : 29th December 2008 at 10:07.
Old 29th December 2008, 10:06   #477
BHPian

Want to know the present condition of kutippuram , kannur-pariyaram and kasargod roads .
Old 29th December 2008, 11:44   #478
BANNED

Calicut / Kozhikode to Vatakara is good surface. (I mean bad traffic, as usual).
Old 29th December 2008, 12:05   #479

Hi I just returned from round trip to Cochin.Road from Bangalore to Salem is excellent 183 kms of 4 lane bliss.There is a few bad spots between Salem and Coimbator but after that road is extremely good.Even the Palakkad Thrissur leg has been tarred and no proble.I left BAngalore at 530Am and reached Fort Cochin by 430 Pm which included a 30 minute stop for break fast and 1 hour stop for lunch.Excellent roads .
Old 29th December 2008, 13:17   #480
BHPian

Did Bangalore to Kanjirappally on 24 and return trip on 28 through the Kumily route . Except for the bad stretch between Oddanchatram and Sembatti, excellent roads all the way . Got a FE of 16 on my Indigo LS with 100% AC (except on the ghat roads while approaching Kumily). Could cover 620 kms in around 13 hours with 3 breaks of an average 45 mins each.

Most Viewed