Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2009, 17:31   #661
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I can understand as Trissur - Angamaly was in a bad shape when I travelled. With the current monsoon, it would have become worse.
Yes, monsoon has taken the toll! My friend who drove from BLR to TCR last weekend says, he took close to 4 hrs from walayar to TCR.
Old 22nd July 2009, 17:38   #662
Senior - BHPian

I have to travel to Cochin with family in August. I do not want to travel by road with the current condition.

OT: I did not get train tickets for the return journey. Does anyone know a train ticket booking agent?
Old 23rd July 2009, 09:06   #663
Senior - BHPian

Now we'll have to wait till Sabarimala season to get the roads back in good shape. Roads till Walayar is drivable but beyond that till Angamaly we get only few stretches which is good. Dont risk your lovely machines....bigger vehicles like Innova and all can still survive....

Infact I postponed by Aug trip due to the bad feedback from those who travelled recently.
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:42   #664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I have to travel to Cochin with family in August. I do not want to travel by road with the current condition.
Why don't you go through the Kumily entry point ? Especially if you are going to central/south kerala, you can very well try this.
Old 25th July 2009, 22:40   #665
BHPian

I am driving to Sultan Batheri tomorrow. Could anyone give an update on the road condition of Mysore - Gundlupet - Sultan Batheri.

Also need pointers to good hotels in Sultan Batheri
Old 26th July 2009, 02:50   #666
BHPian

Any updates on the Road conditions from Thekkady to Alleppey?

Thekkady - Kumily - VandiPeriyar - Mundakkayam - Peermade - Ponkunnam - Pambadi - Kottayam - Vembanad Lake - Alleppey.

Is there a better route from Thekkady to Alleppey?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Technocrat : 26th July 2009 at 10:25. Reason: it is now imperative to upload all pics at team-bhp, please read our board rules to see how it can be done. Thanks
Old 26th July 2009, 22:46   #667
BHPian

Onam is nearing and I have to make plans to reach Kanjirappalli by end of August.

Looks like I have 3 choices,

1. Via regular Selam-Palakkad-Angamali
2. Via Mysore-Nilambur
3. Via Selam-Dindigul-Kumili

Recent updates gives me an impression that Palakkad-Angamali is really is bad shape

Via Mysore was never in a great shape! But the drive through the forest area is pleasant.

Now the third choice is what I can think about. But I do not see recent updates on the condition other than few suggestion.

Can someone tell me, how better is Via Selam-Dindigul-Kumili than Palakkad route.
Old 26th July 2009, 23:09   #668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
Onam is nearing and I have to make plans to reach Kanjirappalli by end of August.

Looks like I have 3 choices,

1. Via regular Selam-Palakkad-Angamali
2. Via Mysore-Nilambur
3. Via Selam-Dindigul-Kumili
SJ,
I did Blr-Salem-Madurai-Kollam in the first week of July.
Except for some stretches where work is in progress for four laning, most parts are four lane and surface is good and by far in the best condition I have seen so far. You have to be careful of deviations and merged two lane traffic though. Also of tractors and mopeds on wrong side as if they just returned from US!

Viju
Old 26th July 2009, 23:37   #669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Why don't you go through the Kumily entry point ? Especially if you are going to central/south kerala, you can very well try this.
I have booked train tickets for a week day as I have just a one day work at Cochin. I will keep this in mind during the next trip. Thanks brother.
Old 28th July 2009, 16:43   #670
Senior - BHPian

Tvm-Shertalla ! helps you recite all the good words you know.
Old 29th July 2009, 11:02   #671
BHPian

I had been to Sabarimala 3 days back. The vehicle was the ever reliable Force Traveller. Left Coimbatore at 14.45 on 26th July and reached Pamba by 23.15 with 2 breaks totalling 45 mins. The route was Coimbatore - Palakad - Trissur - Angamali - Kalady - Muvatupuzha - Pala - Erumeli - Pamba. On the return leg left Pambabt 11.45 on 27th July and reached Coimbatore by 20.30 by the same route with breaks totalling 60 mins. The roads were good in general. There were a few pot holes on the Coimbatore - Palakad, which were being patched up. There were some bad stretched between Palakad and Trissur. Got into huge traffic jam at Chalakuddy. From Pala to Pamba the roads were good without potholes but the ride was bumpy.
Old 29th July 2009, 16:34   #672
BHPian

Driving down to Alleppey tonight. Planning to take the Salem - Coimbatore - Palakkad route. The last few updates suggest that the Coimbatore to Trichur stretch is bad.

How about the Salem - Dindugul - Kumili stretch? Any updates on this route?
Old 29th July 2009, 17:28   #673
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

Heard Salem - Dindugul - Kumili is better in terms of drivability, my friend's collegue did it this month beginning.

Its a good choice for sj_koova and other people in and around Idukki district. But for unni.ak and others whose destination is TVM, ALPY etc, it might munch lot more kilometers.
Old 29th July 2009, 17:49   #674
Senior - BHPian

Skip Salem.

Take right from Thoppur to reach Bhavani (NH47) via Mettur. Road should be in good condition.
Old 30th July 2009, 05:17   #675
Senior - BHPian

I have to attend an exhibition in TCR next week. Was planning to drive down from Chennai since I have some stuff to carry as well. The posts over the last few days are not very encouraging. Is there any way I could avoid the Walayar - Trichur stretch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks