Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2009, 16:23   #841
Senior - BHPian

@Edsel: I did a Ernakulam-Kottayam Trip last month.The Normal route is now from Thrippunithura-Thalayolaparamb-Ettumanoor. You take a Left from Poothotta(IIRC) to the Thalayolaparamb road. My Drive at a sedative speed(60-70) took 1.5 hours to Reach Kottayam.But ,Via NH47(Cherthala) ,It will be Sooner.But ,Don't know the condition of roads from cherthala to kumarkom.
Old 16th October 2009, 15:08   #842
BHPian

For the Blr-Mettur-Cbe-Ekm road, can anybody give me a rough idea of the number and locations of diversions where road work is being done?
Old 17th October 2009, 22:15   #843
BHPian

Finally did the long trip in my Spark. We started at 4:30am from Hennur Main Road. Filled petrol at Shell old Madras road. Apprx timings: Thoppur 8:15. Bhavani 9:47. Cbe bypass 10:47. Pght 12:47. Aluva 3:15. Thanks first to God for keeping us safe. Next thanks to bhpians for ALL the valuable heads up.
Old 20th October 2009, 10:44   #844
BHPian

TBHPians,

I did a trip on Oct 18 from Kerala to Blr. Usually, I turn left at Bhavani and proceed to Mettur and Thoppur. This time, I decided to proceed on the beautiful Chengappalli- Kumaraplayam stretch towards Salem.

One of my relatives told me about a road that connects Omallur to Sangakiri bypassing Salem altogether. I wanted to try that route. This route is about 38 kms with some rough patches in between. Traffic was sparse. I am not sure if it was due to a Sunday. I had a forced break in between, so I am not sure of the time advantage

Anyone else used this road? And did they see an improvement in time/distance?
Old 20th October 2009, 12:11   #845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
TBHPians,

Anyone else used this road? And did they see an improvement in time/distance?
In fact Google maps tells me that there is a 15 minutes/10 km advantage on this route
Old 20th October 2009, 12:31   #846
BHPian

Hi All,

I had been to Vaikom(Kottayam) in the first week of October.
Route Taken:
Bangalore > Hosur > Dharmapuri > Thoppur > Mettur > Bhavani > Coimbatore Bypass > Walayar Checkpost (This is where one enter's Kerala) > Palakad > Trissur Bypass > Ernakulam Bypass > Aluva > Tripunithara( via Sea Port-Airport Road) > Vaikom (Kottayam)

Roads from Bangalore till we enter Tamilnadu are ok. Nothing much to talk about.

Hosur to Dharmapuri : 4 lane (Very good)
Dharmapuri to Thoppur : 4 lane (Very good )
Thoppur to Mettur : 2 lane (roads are good but has a lot of traffic on weekdays)
Mettur > Avinashi > Bhavani : 2 lane continues (Roads are little better, but again has a lot of traffic)
Bhavani > Coimbatore Bypass : 4 lane again (very good)
Once you enter Kerala its all 2 lane roads, but road condition is good till Kottayam. (This part of Kerala usually has good intensity of traffic except on weekends- Heard this from the locals).

Make sure while coming back from Coimbatore to Bangalore when you get closer to Bhavani do not take the flyover which goes to Salem, Take left diversion towards Avinashi.

Cheers guy...Have a safe drive...
Old 21st October 2009, 09:52   #847
BHPian

Just now I logged in to find out how I missed the exit to Bhavani. Finally proceeded to Salem and came to Bangy. We liked the Thoppur route more because of the shorter distance. Of course the roads are better too!
Old 21st October 2009, 10:58   #848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsanjayrao View Post
Make sure while coming back from Coimbatore to Bangalore when you get closer to Bhavani do not take the flyover which goes to Salem, Take left diversion towards Avinashi.
I guess,you meant take the left to Mettur? and not Avinashi.
Old 21st October 2009, 11:46   #849
BHPian

Sorry Guys I meant take the diversion towards mettur when you are getting back from Coimbatore.

Thanks for the correction ranjitp1.

Cheers, Drive safe
Old 22nd October 2009, 06:19   #850
BHPian

But in my onward journey, I went through Bhavani, went under a flyover, and took a right at/after the flyover. Then got on the NH, bypassed Perundurai, Avinashi and so on. While coming back, after bypassing Perundurai, I was looking for the non-existent exit sign for Bhavani.
Old 22nd October 2009, 16:06   #851
BHPian

Guys, what are savings in Km if we skip Salem and drive through Mettur to reach Bhavani?
As per my previous trip calculation, the difference is only 10km (as per the sign board). Is it correct?
Old 24th October 2009, 09:24   #852
Senior - BHPian

Just reached Kochi.
Coimbatore-Palghat-Kuthiran is completely patched without a single pothole but down Kuthiran, for next 2-3 kms, there are few small potholes/rough surfaces. Again, Mannuthy byepass starting point, there is a huge pothole. Mannuthy-Angamaly, construction is going on thus here and there some bad roads. Otherwise, Bangalore-Kochi, nothing to worry.
Old 26th October 2009, 17:04   #853

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmanu View Post
Guys, what are savings in Km if we skip Salem and drive through Mettur to reach Bhavani?
As per my previous trip calculation, the difference is only 10km (as per the sign board). Is it correct?
Taking the route via Thoppur - Mettur - Bhavani will save around 25kms compared to going through Salem bypass. I have verified this with my car. But the thing is that time taken is the same in both routes as we can hit easily 100-120 in the four lane NH47 compared to two lane Mettur - Mecheri -Thoppur road where we pass through a number of villages and speed breakers.

- KP
Old 26th October 2009, 17:17   #854

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkuruvil View Post
But in my onward journey, I went through Bhavani, went under a flyover, and took a right at/after the flyover. Then got on the NH, bypassed Perundurai, Avinashi and so on. While coming back, after bypassing Perundurai, I was looking for the non-existent exit sign for Bhavani.
After Perundurai, in about 20kms you will see the Institute of Road and Transport Technology campus on your left. Just after this you need to take the service road to the left which will take you to Bhavani town. From there the road takes you directly to Mettur and Thoppur.

- KP
Old 27th October 2009, 09:17   #855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Just reached Kochi.
Coimbatore-Palghat-Kuthiran is completely patched without a single pothole but down Kuthiran, for next 2-3 kms, there are few small potholes/rough surfaces. Again, Mannuthy byepass starting point, there is a huge pothole. Mannuthy-Angamaly, construction is going on thus here and there some bad roads. Otherwise, Bangalore-Kochi, nothing to worry.
Small addtion coolclouds.. I have driven to Kerala during the Diwali w/e during night. There are few huge potholes around 10 kms before Kuthiran (not sure about the place name, it is at the blind curve where road used to be bad always) . I had hit one at high speed (could not avoid during the night) and damaged my Lenso alloy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks