Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2009, 17:14   #901
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
sankagiri to: omalur salem - Google Maps[/url]
Take Omallur-Sankiri route to bye pass Salem. You can comfortably reach Coimbatore bye pass in 4.5-5hrs running time and Palakkad in another one hour in an Innova.
Old 25th November 2009, 17:20   #902
Senior - BHPian

I have travelled on this route this Friday.

I have left by 8.45 - 9PM from Bangalore and reached Palghat by 3:00AM. I drove straight on NH7 and NH47 and did not take any other roads. There are deviations but not as much to plan too much. See my logs.

KM - Time - Place
035.6 21:30 Hosur
091.0 22:30 Krishnagiri Tollgate
158.0 23:15 Toll gate Rs48
195.6 23:45 Toll gate Rs39
209.0 00:00 Salem
250.0 00:55 Salem till here was patchy two line roads, nothing too much to worry
296.0 01:10 Toll gate Rs34
310.0 01:20 End of good roads - 2 lane old NH road further
325.0 01:45 Avinashi
352.0 02:10 L&T byepass starts
378.0 02:35 L&T byepass ends
390.0 02:45 Valayar checkpost, roads are Ok, not bad.
410.0 03:10 Palghat, Left turn to Thrissur. Straight to Palghat.

I continued further on to reach Kumarakom by 07:00AM.
471.0 04:05 Thrissur, Left turn to Cochin, straight to Thrissur. Roads are OK.
515.0 04:50 Angamaly, Left turn to Muvattupuzha, Kottayam. Roads are OK.
621.4 06:55 Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary. Roads till Muvattupuzha excellent, and good till kumarakom.

In my opinion just drive, the roads are not much of a spoilsport as it used to be.

Last edited by laluks : 25th November 2009 at 17:26.
Old 30th November 2009, 09:58   #903

Hi

I did the Omalur Sankaragiri route on the way down and route #2 below on the way back. Both were ok. Both have sections of roads that are bad. We got stuck in a traffic jam in the middle of Omalur for a while and ditto in Sankaragiri. On the way back, the Bhavani Mettur road was not too good. Both took equal time. I estimate that taking out stoppage time, it was about 6.5 hours to Palakkad city center from Silk Board. We never exceeded 100 by design so you could probably do it faster.

Based on this and based on subsequent replies, I intend to try NH7-NH47 all the way next time around.

This was my first long drive in India, I am stunned by how people risk their (and everyone else's) lives going the wrong way in the fast lane. On the positive side, I saw someone get caught by the highway police for doing this. Also frustrating to see slow trucks clogging up the fast lane. The NHAI is doing a terrific job under the circumstances.

Any recommendations for clean places to eat and decent restrooms other than the Dharmapuri-Thoppur Adyar Anand Bhavan stop? We stopped at both Sarvana Bhavan in Bhavani (terrible restrooms) and the gas station right when the four laning begins on the Avinashi-Salem section and that was pretty awful as well. I have daughters who are very finicky on this front.

The A2B was quite nice.

Much appreciate everyone's feedback and help.

- UY

Quote:
Originally Posted by uy663z View Post
Hi

I am planning to drive down to Palakkad tomorrow (Thurs) from Bangalore leaving at about 2 pm in the afternoon.

Would you recommend

1) Bangalore->Krishnagiri->Dharmapuri->Thoppur->Mecheri->Mettur->Ammapet->Andhiyur->Athani->Sathyamangalam->Annur-> [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Karumathampatti -> LT bypass -> Walayar -> Palakkad
or
2) Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Thoppur - Mettur - Bhavani - Avinashi - LT bypass -> Walayar -> Palakkad
or
3) Go through Salem.

Innova, have two young kids so will need to stop on the way. Scenery etc is not important, time and safety are however.

Thanks.

UY
Old 30th November 2009, 11:28   #904
BHPian

Driving directions in Kerala

Guys - need your help here to plan my year end drive to different places in kerala. This will be my first drive to kerala and appreciate all the minute information that you can provide me on the routes. I do not intend to do any night driving at all.

Below are the directions am looking for and I will be staying atleast 2 days in each of the below places. So I can also visit any nearby places that can be seen in a day's drive.

1. Bangalore to Munnar - can this be done in 12 hours?
2. Munnar to Kovalam - can this be done in 12 hours?
3. Kovalam to Alleppey
4. Alleppey to Bangalore - can this be done in 12 hours?

Thanks in advance.
Old 30th November 2009, 11:39   #905
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore-Munnar, via Dharapuram, 485 kms, possible in 9-12 hours
Bangalore-Munnar, via Palakkad, 610 kms, should take you 12 hours upwards thanks to high density of KL traffic after crossing into Palakkad

Munnar-Kovalam, via Kottarakara, 360 kms, should take you 8 hours at least, tahnks tom road widening work between Trivandrum/Kovalam and Kottayam

Kovalam to Alleppy, 160 kms, can be done in 3-5 hours, depending on time of day, since day traffic is very high dsensity

Alleppy to Bangalore, via Salem, 610 kms, can be done in 10 hours
Old 30th November 2009, 11:52   #906
Senior - BHPian

Stick on to HVK's suggested routes. Please don't take Kerala route while going to Munnar.

Last edited by coolclouds : 30th November 2009 at 11:55.
Old 30th November 2009, 12:29   #907
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Kerala has an official 70kph speed limit for cars.

Of course it is flouted easily and by everyone, but there are radar wielding cops doing the checking on the highways.

They also take care about front seat belts usage.
Old 30th November 2009, 12:53   #908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post

Bangalore - Dharmapuri - Salem - Erode - Dindigul - Theni - Munnar: is this better option to take? Am assuming this is a mix of NH7 and NH47.

Bangalore-Munnar, via Palakkad, 610 kms, should take you 12 hours upwards thanks to high density of KL traffic after crossing into Palakkad

Munnar-Kovalam, via Kottarakara, 360 kms, should take you 8 hours at least, tahnks tom road widening work between Trivandrum/Kovalam and Kottayam

Munnar (NH49) - theni (NH220) - kambam - kumily - pathanamthitta - kollam (NH 47)- kovalam. Can I visit Kanniyakumari in day and come back to Kovalam (say in 8 hours?)

Kovalam to Alleppy, 160 kms, can be done in 3-5 hours, depending on time of day, since day traffic is very high dsensity

Kovalam (NH47) - trivandrum - attingal - kollam - Alleppey.
I will be driving during the day time. or i can plan to leave in the afternoon also if the traffic is too much.

Alleppy to Bangalore, via Salem, 610 kms, can be done in 10 hours
Alleppey (NH47) - Kochi - Thrissur - coimbatore - salem - dharmapuri - bangalore

hvkumar: Thanks a lot for the information. Can you please confirm if the above mentioned routes are correct or did i miss anything.

Also please let me know of any other must see places that i should cover in and around.
Old 30th November 2009, 12:55   #909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

Kerala has an official 70kph speed limit for cars.

Of course it is flouted easily and by everyone, but there are radar wielding cops doing the checking on the highways.

They also take care about front seat belts usage.
I got this confirmed when they charged me Rs300/- on 26th Nov ( last week ) for overspeeding at Walayar-Palghat road. They had the speedgun reading of 90KM/Hr as the proof. If your speed is more than 100km/hr, the fine is Rs1000/-. But they will allow up to 75km/hr.
Old 30th November 2009, 13:18   #910
Senior - BHPian

The Dindigul route to Munnar is a slightly longer route as compared to the Dharapuram route.Road conditions are good on both routes.

K'kumari-TVM corridor is pretty congested and would take you anywhere between 2-3hrs one way which would mean a total travel time of close to 6hours.A better way to do it would be for you to reach K'kumari by evening.See the sunset and next day morning's sunrise and then head off to the Gandhi Mandapam via ferry and get back to land and then head off to TVM.You would be able to reach TVM by early afternoon.The must see things at K'kumari are the sunset,the sunrise and the vivekananda rock alongwith the meeting point of the three waterbodies(Indian Ocean,Arabian Sea & the Bay)

I would stick to HVK's reccomended routes.In case you want to get back onto NH47,another option would be to get onto it via Muvvatupuzha-Kolenchery-Tripunithra-Maradu-NH47-Shertallai-Alleppey and all the way to TVM.The only advantage with this route is that you would be on the NH47 for most part of the journey.
Old 30th November 2009, 13:36   #911
BHPian

@ NFS2024

Snce this is going to be your first drive to Kerala, I'd like to caution you about the arrogant bus drivers who you may find in the NH. They may NOT actually give you way as you might think. And in most cases, they might come charging at you in the wrong lane. Giving way for them is the safest option. Since you are not going to do night driving, this wouldn't affect you much. I am saying this because a lot of friends who come from outside the state and drive here give bad comments about the buses.
So just warning you.
Old 30th November 2009, 14:57   #912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
The Dindigul route to Munnar is a slightly longer route as compared to the Dharapuram route.Road conditions are good on both routes.

Then can you pls let me know what is suggested route? whatever route i have given is through mapmyindia based on HVK's suggestion

K'kumari-TVM corridor is pretty congested and would take you anywhere between 2-3hrs one way which would mean a total travel time of close to 6hours.A better way to do it would be for you to reach K'kumari by evening.See the sunset and next day morning's sunrise and then head off to the Gandhi Mandapam via ferry and get back to land and then head off to TVM.You would be able to reach TVM by early afternoon.The must see things at K'kumari are the sunset,the sunrise and the vivekananda rock alongwith the meeting point of the three waterbodies(Indian Ocean,Arabian Sea & the Bay)

I do not have an option to stay at Kanniyakumari, so will just have to go in the morning and come back late evening.

I would stick to HVK's reccomended routes.In case you want to get back onto NH47,another option would be to get onto it via Muvvatupuzha-Kolenchery-Tripunithra-Maradu-NH47-Shertallai-Alleppey and all the way to TVM.The only advantage with this route is that you would be on the NH47 for most part of the journey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
@ NFS2024

Snce this is going to be your first drive to Kerala, I'd like to caution you about the arrogant bus drivers who you may find in the NH. They may NOT actually give you way as you might think. And in most cases, they might come charging at you in the wrong lane. Giving way for them is the safest option. Since you are not going to do night driving, this wouldn't affect you much. I am saying this because a lot of friends who come from outside the state and drive here give bad comments about the buses.
So just warning you.
Thanks for the information, I will keep this in mind.
Old 30th November 2009, 15:15   #913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Alleppey (NH47) - Kochi - Thrissur - coimbatore - salem - dharmapuri - bangalore

hvkumar: Thanks a lot for the information. Can you please confirm if the above mentioned routes are correct or did i miss anything.

Bangalore - Dharmapuri - Salem - Erode - Dindigul - Theni - Munnar: is this better option to take? Am assuming this is a mix of NH7 and NH47.

Munnar (NH49) - theni (NH220) - kambam - kumily - pathanamthitta - kollam (NH 47)- kovalam. Can I visit Kanniyakumari in day and come back to Kovalam (say in 8 hours?)

Kovalam (NH47) - trivandrum - attingal - kollam - Alleppey.
I will be driving during the day time. or i can plan to leave in the afternoon also if the traffic is too much.
Also please let me know of any other must see places that i should cover in and around.
No, there are some mistakes in your routing:

Bangalore-Munnar is via Dharapuram. For this, you don't touch Erode, but leave NH47 at Perunthurai and go via Chennimalai, Gangeyam and Dharapuram to Udumalaipet, and from thereon via Chinnar and Marayoor to Munnar

If you want to go via Dindigul, then from Sale, you will continue on NH7 via Namakkal, Karur and from Dindigul go via Periakulam, Theni, Bodi Medu to Munnar.

From Munnar, you go via Poopara, Nedumkandam, Peeremede, Kanjirapalli, Changanaserry, Kottarakara to Trivandrum.

Doing Kanyakumari the same day can be difficult - although KK is only 85 kms from Trivandrum, it is a slow drive. BUt if you leave early in the morning from Munnar, you should be able to cover KK for 2-3 hours in the late afternoon and return to Trivandrum.

The other choice is to go directly to KK via Kumili, Kumbam, Theni, Usilampatti, Madurai, Tirunelveli - that will be 500m kms. And then come to Trivandrum from there. This route is quite fast, although it can be irritating to go through the small towns between KUmili and Madurai. From MDU, it is a lovely 4-lane road, except for a few rough sections (where flyovers are under construction) and teh last 15 kms to KK.
Old 30th November 2009, 15:34   #914
alphamike

hi abn,

Its makes more sense to drive the below mentioned way.

i have been driving my home town Srikrishnapuram (Karimpuzha) via the below mentioned route since 13 nov 2007. Ever since i did this route, never went back to the NH4 & NH 47 again. All you need to remember is that night driving through the Bandipur and Madumalai forest is prohibited. have a safe drive

1. Head west on Mahatma Gandhi Rd/MG Rd/Salem Bye Pass towards Brigade Rd 1.1 km
2. Mahatma Gandhi Rd/MG Rd/Salem Bye Pass turns slightly left and becomes Kasturba Rd 0.8 km
3. Turn left at Vittal Mallya Rd 0.5 km
4. Sharp right at Rajaram Mohan Roy Rd 0.6 km
5. Slight right to stay on Rajaram Mohan Roy Rd 0.2 km
6. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto Kasturba Rd 0.3 km
7. Continue onto Silver Jubilee Park Rd 0.3 km
8. Continue onto Narasimharaja Rd 1.1 km
9. Continue onto Mysore Rd/SH 17
Continue to follow SH 17 74.0 km
10. Slight left to stay on SH 17
Go through 2 roundabouts 61.6 km
11. Turn left to stay on SH 17 1.5 km
12. Turn right to stay on SH 17 0.2 km
13. At the roundabout, take the 3rd exit onto Dasara Exhibition Rd/Double Rd
Continue to follow Double Rd 2.2 km
14. At the roundabout, take the 3rd exit and stay on Double Rd 0.2 km
15. Turn left at Dewans 0.1 km

145 km – about 2 hours 50 mins Mysore, Karnataka
16. Head south on Dewans towards Double Rd 0.1 km
17. Turn left at Double Rd 1.4 km
18. Turn right towards Dasara Exhibition Rd/Double Rd 10 m
19. Turn right at Dasara Exhibition Rd/Double Rd 0.1 km
20. Slight left 0.5 km
21. Continue straight 0.7 km
22. Continue straight onto NH 212 56.7 km
23. Continue onto NH 67 43.9 km
24. Turn right at SH 28 9.2 km
25. Turn left at Kozhikode-Nilmbur-Gudallur Rd 40.0 km
26. Continue onto SH 73/Valanchery Nilambur Rd 35.5 km
27. Continue onto SH 39 1.5 km
28. Turn right at NH 213 3.0 km
29. Turn left at SH 60/Valanchery Nilambur Rd
Continue to follow Valanchery Nilambur Rd 20.1 km
30. Slight left at NH 17 9.6 km
31. Continue onto SH 69 7.2 km
32. Turn right at Edappal Jct onto NH 17 9.9 km
33. Turn left to stay on NH 17 25.5 km
34. Turn left to stay on NH 17 0.5 km
35. Take the 1st right to stay on NH 17 38.8 km
36. Turn right to stay on NH 17 6.7 km
37. Turn right to stay on NH 17 0.3 km
38. Take the 1st left to stay on NH 17 5.3 km
39. Turn right to stay on NH 17 5.0 km
40. Turn right to stay on NH 17 1.4 km
41. Turn left to stay on NH 17 3.1 km
42. Turn left to stay on NH 17 13.6 km
43. Slight right at Cheranalllur Rd 0.4 km
44. Turn right at National Highway 47A/NH 47A 3.6 km
45. Turn left at Deshabhimani Jn to stay on National Highway 47A/NH 47A 2.2 km
46. Turn left at MG Rd/National Highway 47A/NH 47A
Continue to follow National Highway 47A/NH 47A 7.7 km
47. Continue onto Thoppumpady Bridge 0.7 km
48. Continue onto SH 66 0.2 km
49. Continue onto Tagore Rd 0.5 km
50. Turn left at Rameshwaram Canal Rd 0.1 km
51. Turn right at R K Pillai Rd 10 m

from:mg road, Bangalore, Karnataka to:Mysore, Karnataka to:cochin, Kerala - Google Maps

Old 30th November 2009, 15:55   #915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
No, there are some mistakes in your routing:

Bangalore-Munnar is via Dharapuram. For this, you don't touch Erode, but leave NH47 at Perunthurai and go via Chennimalai, Gangeyam and Dharapuram to Udumalaipet, and from thereon via Chinnar and Marayoor to Munnar

I was checking this route on mapmyindia and it says 546kms and 16hrs. But you said it was 485kms and we can do it in 12 hrs.

If you want to go via Dindigul, then from Sale, you will continue on NH7 via Namakkal, Karur and from Dindigul go via Periakulam, Theni, Bodi Medu to Munnar.

From Munnar, you go via Poopara, Nedumkandam, Peeremede, Kanjirapalli, Changanaserry, Kottarakara to Trivandrum.

What is the distance here and how much time will it take to reach and Trivandrum and then kovalam? Mapmyindia says 340kms and 11hrs to reach trivandrum. is that the case?

The other choice is to go directly to KK via Kumili, Kumbam, Theni, Usilampatti, Madurai, Tirunelveli -

I do not have this option as am already booked in kovalam. This being the year end drive, you can imagine the difficulty in getting accommodation. So the option for me is to drive down to KK early morning and come back in the night.

Please note that i have accommodation at the following places in the same order. 1. Munnar 2. kovalam 3. Alleppey.
can you please confirm the above points?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks