Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2010, 09:32   #1081
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikant View Post
I do frequent trips, Thrissur to and fro Bangalore. And i am alone most of the time. I ve been using Bangalore-Palghat-Coimbatore-Bhavani-Salem-Dharmapuri-Krishnagiri-Hosur-Bangalore route. Bored of that route and was planning to switch to some other route and came across 2 options:

1. Thrissur-Wadakancherry-Cherplaserry-Nilambur-Bandipur-Mysore-Bangalore
2. Thrissur-Calicut-S,Bathery-Gundlupet-Mysore-Bangalore

I want suggestions from you guys as to:

1. How are the road conditions?
2. Are they safe, since i am alone most of the time ? (I ve heard from my friend that he had problem with police at checkpost near nilambur forest for no reason, asking for money to open the gate as he was alone . .strange )
3. Is there any other alternative and safe route i can try?
4. Any specific time to leave? (Like, On my regular Thrissur-PGT-Salem-Bangalore route, I leave Thrissur at 4am so that i can easily cover palghat and also traffic at Avinashi route in early hours and also reach electronic city by 11.00am and thus dont get stuck in electronic city peak hour traffic.)
you can take this route for a change.
1. Thrissur-Wadakancherry-pattambi-perinthalmanna-Nilambur-Bandipur-Mysore-Bangalore
thrissur to shornur road is in good condition
shornur to pattambi road condition is bad
pattambi to nilambur is OK or not so bad.
nilambur to kerala border is very good. we never had any issues in the kerala check posts.
kerala border to nadukani is not so bad.
nadukani to TN-KA border is very good.
border - gundalpet is bad (and some parts are in very bad condition. i think road work is going on)
gundalpet- bangalore i suppose it is in good condition

jungle roads will be cloased from 21.00 hrs- 06.00 hrs.
Old 17th January 2010, 15:04   #1082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Thanks a bunch for the detailed route HVK.

Actually we need to go to Thrissur. So HVK, the route will be: Madras-Kanchi-Vellore-Vaniyambadi-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Toppur-Mettur-Bhavani-Avinashi-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Thrissur. Kindly confirm.
So we are finalizing on this route, we should be traveling on 20th early morning.

What kind of roads can we expect? Ive heard that the roads are pretty dangerous. Is that true?

Are there any bad patches?
Old 17th January 2010, 18:11   #1083
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by i.1979 View Post
you can take this route for a change.
1. Thrissur-Wadakancherry-pattambi-perinthalmanna-Nilambur-Bandipur-Mysore-Bangalore
thrissur to shornur road is in good condition
shornur to pattambi road condition is bad
pattambi to nilambur is OK or not so bad.
nilambur to kerala border is very good. we never had any issues in the kerala check posts.
kerala border to nadukani is not so bad.
nadukani to TN-KA border is very good.
border - gundalpet is bad (and some parts are in very bad condition. i think road work is going on)
gundalpet- bangalore i suppose it is in good condition

jungle roads will be cloased from 21.00 hrs- 06.00 hrs.
You also have the option of going to Pattambi via Kunankulam. The rest of the route is the same. I have used this route and I have not seen much traffic (may be I because I drove on a weekday). But definitely worth trying.
Old 18th January 2010, 11:27   #1084
BHPian

Quote:
So we are finalizing on this route, we should be traveling on 20th early morning.

What kind of roads can we expect? Ive heard that the roads are pretty dangerous. Is that true?

Are there any bad patches?
Guys, has anyone traveled on this route in the recent past?

Madras-Kanchi-Vellore-Vaniyambadi-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Toppur-Mettur-Bhavani-Avinashi-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Thrissur
Old 18th January 2010, 11:36   #1085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Madras-Kanchi-Vellore-Vaniyambadi-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Toppur-Mettur-Bhavani-Avinashi-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Thrissur
+
Not yet travelled but I too have almost finalised this route (I will be driving from kannur) to Chennai and above route (from Palakkad to chennai) was recommended by member Bhpians.
Old 18th January 2010, 11:41   #1086
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

A colleague tells me that Chennai->Krishnagiri is in excellent condition. I think there are enough posts/threads in TeamBHP which detail the condition of the road.

I traveled last month from Guruvayoor -> Thrissur -> Bangalore via Salem (that is Krishnagiri<-Dharmapuri<-Salem<-Coimbatore<-Thrissur). Both Salem route (except few minor stretches where road widening is taking place) and Bhavani route are excellent (as per posts by fellow members) .

Your route would be a very good driving experience. Have a safe and pleasant journey.
Old 18th January 2010, 12:22   #1087
BHPian

Bypasses?

Thanks for the reply, sbraj and nairrk.

I have been on this route till Krishnagiri. but after that, which cities have bypasses and for which cities do we need to travel through the city?

Also our destination is Guruvayoor. Is this the correct route from Thrissur?

SH 69 till Choondal and from there on the Guruvayoor-Choondal road? (From Google maps)

Last edited by Proxima : 18th January 2010 at 12:25.
Old 18th January 2010, 12:40   #1088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, sbraj and nairrk.

I have been on this route till Krishnagiri. but after that, which cities have bypasses and for which cities do we need to travel through the city?
As suggested by many people, you may skip Mettur instead, take Salem route.
Omallur-Sankari SH (2 lane) also is in good condition. You can byepass Dharmapuri, Coimbatore and Palakkad but I hope you should go inside Trichur for Guruvayur.
Old 18th January 2010, 13:03   #1089
BHPian

Exiting Chennai?

Thanks coolclouds. This is the route then:

Madras-Kanchi-Vellore-Vaniyambadi-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Toppur-Omalur-Sankari-Bhavani-Avinashi-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Thrissur-Choondal-Guruvayoor

So its basically:
  • NH4 till Ranipet
  • NH 46 from Ranipet till Krishnagiri
  • NH 7 from Krishnagiri till Omalur
  • SH 86 from Omalur to Sankari (instead of Salem)
  • NH 47 from Sankari to Thrissur
  • SH 69 from Thrissur to Choondal
  • SH 49 (Guruvayoor Choondal road) from Choondal to Guruvayoor
Sorry to bother everyone again, but a couple of questions:
  1. What is the best route to exit Chennai from Valasarawakkam (near Vadapalani)?
  2. Given that we plan to leave at 4 30 AM, where would you recommend breaking for breakfast and lunch?
Old 18th January 2010, 13:21   #1090
Senior - BHPian

If I am correct - Choondal is a village in Trichur district?
I think, from trichur you have to drive towards Kunnamkulam and after kunnamkulam
towards Chavakkad but about 5km before chavakkad you will find a left turn with signages showing GURUAYUR and this road will take you direct to Guruvayur West Nada !
Old 18th January 2010, 13:26   #1091
BHPian

@nairrk the route you are talking about is SH 50, the road which connects Kunnamkulam with Chavakkad.

SH 49 connects Chondal and Guruvayur and joins SH 50 before Chavakkad.

(All this is from Google maps)
Old 18th January 2010, 13:40   #1092
Senior - BHPian

Adding my 2 cents of experiece.
I did drive from Chennai to Muvattupuzha recently during the Christmas weeked & followed this route - Chennai-Vellore-Krishnagiri-Salem-Coimbatore-Palaghat-Thrissur-Angamaly. From Chennai to Coimbatore & beyond roads are excellent, especially until Coimbatore its more than excellent.

Quote:
1. What is the best route to exit Chennai from Valasarawakkam (near Vadapalani)?
2. Given that we plan to leave at 4 30 AM, where would you recommend breaking for breakfast and lunch?
1. Go to Porur signal, from there on move to Ayyapanthangal & take a right to hit NH4. Alternatively go straight from Ayyapanthangal & hit the NH4.
2. In my opinion, you can hit Vellore around 6:30 to 07:00 for breakfast. Try a relaxed drive from Vellore to reach Salem for lunch.
Quote:
Simple. You go straight from NH46 & hit Krishnagiri junction & you can see only a right that goes to Bangalore via Hosur & the left goes straight to Salem. Note that you cannot go straight from here & there's a huge flyover infront of you for identification.
Old 18th January 2010, 14:13   #1093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@nairrk the route you are talking about is SH 50, the road which connects Kunnamkulam with Chavakkad.

+
I am not heard about this choondal road condition/routing.
probably only local people can advise about this route.
But I think you can just ask anybody once you reach thrissur and they
will guide you the route to guruvayur
Old 18th January 2010, 14:15   #1094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

From Thrissur town, take diversion towards Guruvayoor. There are enough direction boards indicating way to Guruvayoor, being a prominent destination in Thrissur district. Thrissur to Guruvayoor is roughly 25 KMs. Halfway through, you will reach a Y junction where left is towards Guruvayoor and straight is towards Kunnamkulam. Take left here (I think this junction is indicated as Choondal in the online map). If you take straight, you would reach Kunnamkulam and then Guruvayoor. This is a longer route.

Never heard of this place called Choondal, though I have been to Guruvayoor many times. Proxima, I don't think you need to bother much about Choondal if your destination is Guruvayoor. Upon reaching Thrissur town, just inquire about way to Guruvayoor.
Old 18th January 2010, 14:30   #1095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Adding my 2 cents of experiece.
I did drive from Chennai to Muvattupuzha recently during the Christmas weeked & followed this route - Chennai-Vellore-Krishnagiri-Salem-Coimbatore-Palaghat-Thrissur-Angamaly. From Chennai to Coimbatore & beyond roads are excellent, especially until Coimbatore its more than excellent.

1. Go to Porur signal, from there on move to Ayyapanthangal & take a right to hit NH4. Alternatively go straight from Ayyapanthangal & hit the NH4.
2. In my opinion, you can hit Vellore around 6:30 to 07:00 for breakfast. Try a relaxed drive from Vellore to reach Salem for lunch.

Simple. You go straight from NH46 & hit Krishnagiri junction & you can see only a right that goes to Bangalore via Hosur & the left goes straight to Salem. Note that you cannot go straight from here & there's a huge flyover infront of you for identification.
Thanks aargee. How much did you pay in toll charges one way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
+
I am not heard about this choondal road condition/routing.
probably only local people can advise about this route.
But I think you can just ask anybody once you reach thrissur and they
will guide you the route to guruvayur
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
From Thrissur town, take diversion towards Guruvayoor. There are enough direction boards indicating way to Guruvayoor, being a prominent destination in Thrissur district. Thrissur to Guruvayoor is roughly 25 KMs. Halfway through, you will reach a Y junction where left is towards Guruvayoor and straight is towards Kunnamkulam. Take left here (I think this junction is indicated as Choondal in the online map). If you take straight, you would reach Kunnamkulam and then Guruvayoor. This is a longer route.

Never heard of this place called Choondal, though I have been to Guruvayoor many times. Proxima, I don't think you need to bother much about Choondal if your destination is Guruvayoor. Upon reaching Thrissur town, just inquire about way to Guruvayoor.
Thanks guys. Have heard that the roads in Kerala are not great especially since they dont have the middle dividers. Aiming to reach Guruvayoor before sundown by leaving Chennai at 4 30 AM.

Most Viewed