Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2010, 14:48   #1096
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Thanks guys. Have heard that the roads in Kerala are not great especially since they dont have the middle dividers.
, most of the roads do not have dividers, and mostly two lane roads (I guess this is due to Kerala being a highly populous state). One constantly needs to overtake (especially trucks, buses) to maintain time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Aiming to reach Guruvayoor before sundown by leaving Chennai at 4 30 AM.
, start early and get out of high traffic areas before dawn. That would be key to reaching before night. Salem bypass to Guruvayoor is roughly 300 KM and could take around 5 hours of drive depending on the traffic. Evening traffic could be higher compared to morning traffic, especially since you are on Kerala roads. Do keep this in mind during your planning.

Last edited by sbraj : 18th January 2010 at 14:50.
Old 18th January 2010, 14:50   #1097
Team-BHP Support

Correction: Guruvayur to Choondal road is SH69 and not 49 as mentioned in Google Maps.

All Roads to Kerala-tri.jpg
Old 18th January 2010, 16:25   #1098
BHPian

I stay in Kechery. Dont worry about it at all. You ll never miss Choondal as there is big sign board marking left to Guruvayur at Choondal. Just follow road from Thrissur via Amala hospital on the Calicut highway. You ll not miss Guruvayur.

You dont have to reach Kunnamkulam to go to Guruvayur.

However i would suggest you to take Palghat-Ottapalam-Shornur-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayur route as this road has less traffic and good wide road, than the Palghat-Thrissur stretch.

Once you near Palghat. Get straight into Palghat city (dont take left bypass to Thrissur). Reach Palghat KSRTC Stand ask anybody for Ottapalam Shornur road.
Old 19th January 2010, 08:13   #1099
Senior - BHPian

Providing some more additional information.
Toll fares for single entry (Chennai to Muvattupuzha by WagonR)
Nemili/Pennalur Toll Plaza - Rs 30 (NHAI)
Samudram Toll Plaza - Rs 25 (NHAI)
Pallikonda Toll Plaza - Rs 45 (NHAI)
Vaniyambadi Toll Plaza - Rs 35 (NHAI)
Krishnagiri Thopur Toll Plaza - Rs 48 (L&T)
Omalur Toll Plaza - Rs 34 (MVR)
Kumarapalayam Tollway - Rs 34 (NHAI)
Neelambur Toll Plaza (Coimbatore to Kochi) - Rs 31 (fullfare for the next 4 connecting toll gates) (L&T)
Old 19th January 2010, 15:09   #1100
BHPian

Guys, a (not so good) update:

We are traveling by train since I can spend only a day there owing to work at office. Didn't make sense spending 2 days traveling for a day in Kerala.

However, this info will be very useful for anyone else planning a trip. Thanks everyone. Hope to make a trip to Kerala in the near future.
Old 22nd January 2010, 10:31   #1101
BHPian

Has anyone traveled via Thoppur-Mettur-Bhavani recently? How is the road condition now?
Old 22nd January 2010, 11:43   #1102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRider View Post
Has anyone traveled via Thoppur-Mettur-Bhavani recently? How is the road condition now?
I went through this route on Dec 25 '09. The Mettur-Bhavani road has bad patches and quite a few pot-holes. There is also a lot of truck and bus traffic which may slow you down. But for the scenery, there is no reason to take this route. The 30-odd km saving is not a big incentive now, given the condition of NH-7 & NH-47.
Old 22nd February 2010, 12:18   #1103
BHPian

I'm planning on driving down to Pandalam from Bangalore this weekend via the Salem-Dindigul route. Please advise the route to take from Vandiperiyar:

Vandiperiyar-Sabarimala-Lahai-Pattanamitta-Pandalam

or

Vandiperiyar-Pirmed-Mundakkayam-Kanjirapalli-Cheruvalli-Rani-Pattanamitta-Pandalam

Thanks!
Old 22nd February 2010, 12:36   #1104
Senior - BHPian

I did the Trivandrum-Pandalam-Changanaserry-Vazhoor-Kanjirapalli-MUndakayam-Kuttikanam route last month and the Kumili-Madurai route in Nov. Road is great - except for a few bad sections in the climb up to Kumili from Kumbam side. I have no idea about the short cuts via Sabari and Ranni.
Old 24th February 2010, 09:23   #1105
BHPian

Thanks for your inputs hvk.
Old 24th February 2010, 10:46   #1106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd5kvn View Post
I'm planning on driving down to Pandalam from Bangalore this weekend via the Salem-Dindigul route. Please advise the route to take from Vandiperiyar:

or

Vandiperiyar-Pirmed-Mundakkayam-Kanjirapalli-Cheruvalli-Rani-Pattanamitta-Pandalam

Thanks!
Laha, Peerumedu sections can be extremely isolated, since this is not "mandalam" season. Strictly to be avoided during night, I feel. Also, in the unfortunate case of being stranded due to a mechanical problem, help could be hard to come by.
Old 24th February 2010, 19:57   #1107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd5kvn View Post

or

Thanks!
I was planning for this route sometime back, but last moment i changed plan. At that time I got some information from joecherian.

"Deviate to Erumaly from Mundakkayam, on to Placherry, Ranni Pathanamthitta and Pandalam
This way you can totally skip kanjirappally, ponkunnam,Manimala"
see the link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1628635
Old 25th February 2010, 01:12   #1108
BHPian

sbraj and kavu75, thanks for your inputs. I plan on traveling during the day time only.

Kavu, I read that thread during my research and planned on using the route suggested by joecherian but on the Eicher India Road Atlas the Sabarimala road is listed as a "major road" and the route suggested by joe is listed as an "other road". I assumed that Sabarimala route might be better also owing to the fact that it is a major pilgrimage center.

Also, I am a wildlife enthusiast and a photographer. Although I would be pressed for time (need to reach Pandalam by sun down and the same on the return leg to Bangalore), any specific suggestions on routes to take for mammal/bird sightings?

In other words, and I know I am asking for too much, which route is recommended if I have to reach my destinations quickly yet get lucky with some wildlife sighting along the way?
Old 25th February 2010, 08:12   #1109
BHPian

I won't recommend the sabarimalai route for a normal trip. Though I haven't gone through this road, heard that roads are very narrow and might be time taking. Another major issue might be the lack of facilities.

Hence, would recommend to follow the route Kumily -Mundakkayam - Erumely -Plachery -Ranni - Pathanamthitta - panthalam

This road is always in good condition
Old 25th February 2010, 09:05   #1110
Senior - BHPian

What is the best route to Kottayam from Bangalore these days? I have tried the NH47 and Kumily routes in the past. Did not drive for more than year now.

Most Viewed