Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2010, 00:02   #1126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionforcars View Post
so i think i may not be able to reach ernakulam Area by 8 AM with this speed ( With a B/fast break of 1/2 hour). last time when i was travelling through this area ,i had bitter experiences in alleppy and kollam area.horrible traffic, and almost lost 2 hours. these things made me to change my route. please help..
Another option is MC Road : Coimbatore-Palakkad-Thrissur-Chalakudy-Perumbavoor-Muvattupuzha-Kottayam-Kottarakkara-TVM

This route will avoid Alappuzha and Kollam. This might be slightly better than NH47.

passionforcars, the trick is to start early and cover as much as possible before dawn. I would say if you are able to start at, say, 3AM or 4AM, that is the best.

Problem with Kerala roads is the lack of dividers and mostly 2 lane roads. One would have 2 wheelers and auto rickshaws jostling for the same lane with RTC super fasts.
Old 6th March 2010, 00:16   #1127
BHPian

[quote=sbraj;1767644]Another option is MC Road : Coimbatore-Palakkad-Thrissur-Chalakudy-Perumbavoor-Muvattupuzha-Kottayam-Kottarakkara-TVM

This route will avoid Alappuzha and Kollam. This might be slightly better than NH47.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
passionforcars, the trick is to start early and cover as much as possible before dawn. I would say if you are able to start at, say, 3AM or 4AM, that is the best.
my family wont allow me to start before 4 am. they have their own reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Problem with Kerala roads is the lack of dividers and mostly 2 lane roads. One would have 2 wheelers and auto rickshaws jostling for the same lane with RTC super fasts.
Eggjactly. that's why i wanted to avoid Kerala roads.
Old 6th March 2010, 15:01   #1128
BHPian

Hvk and Ben, thanks for your suggestions. Hvk, I ended up not taking the wildlife route because of time constraints. Ben, I did not see your message in time to follow your route.

I finally ended up taking the route from Kanjirapalli - Karukechal - Changanacherri - Thiruvalla - Chengannur - Pandalam.

Excellent roads all the way from Bangalore to Pandalam on this route. Well paved and free of traffic.

On the return journey though, I decided to experiment and take a different route (for my own knowledge and also knowing fully well its probably not the ideal route) and I learned a very valuable lesson indeed i.e. to avoid this route at all costs! We took the Pandalam - Kottayam - Muvattupula - Angamali - Trissur - Palakkad - Coimbatore - Salem route. While the road surface itself was fine this route was plagued with heavy traffic up to Coimbatore.

Also, traffic was being split into two at Palakkad with some traffic allowed to continue on NH 47 and some diverted towards Pollachi and allowed to turn left at Kolinjampara (or thereabouts) and head towards NH 47. It is on this stretch that we encountered not-so-smooth roads in some spots.

Both routes were ~700 kms. The driving time ideally should be about 12-13 hours but took us 14 hours to Pandalam and 16 hours on the return leg to Bangalore because of long breaks taken in between and additionally, heavy traffic on the return leg.

All in all, I enjoyed the trip and driving on roads in Kerala was an enjoyable experience. Due credit must be given to the people of Kerala for being civilized road users! Oncoming traffic graciously dipped their headlights for me at night and pedestrians always crossed the roads at zebra crossing if one was available. However, the same cannot be said of the bus drivers in Kerala. They are the sons of the devil himself!
Old 6th March 2010, 22:19   #1129
Senior - BHPian

passionforcars, MC Road is equally congested compared with NH47, worse because it is twisty and narrower roads not conducive to high-speed driving unless you like rallying!

In the circumstances, I think the Dindigul-Nagercoil route is not a bad idea. 2-laned toll Dindigul, you can cover Palani in 2 hours and be in Dindigul in 3-4, but from there onwards, it is superfast 4-laner till you are short of Nagercoil. Be prepared for some slow driving in Nagercoil-TVM section.
Old 6th March 2010, 22:20   #1130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd5kvn View Post
I finally ended up taking the route from Kanjirapalli - Karukechal - Changanacherri - Thiruvalla - Chengannur - Pandalam.

Excellent roads all the way from Bangalore to Pandalam on this route. Well paved and free of traffic.

Also, traffic was being split into two at Palakkad with some traffic allowed to continue on NH 47 and some diverted towards Pollachi and allowed to turn left at Kolinjampara (or thereabouts) and head towards NH 47. It is on this stretch that we encountered not-so-smooth roads in some spots.
Good to know you had a smooth drive. But why was traffic being diverted after Palakkad - because of traffic jams at the KL-TN checkpost at Walayar?
Old 6th March 2010, 22:51   #1131
cLJ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd5kvn View Post
However, the same cannot be said of the bus drivers in Kerala. They are the sons of the devil himself!

It is true, the private/KSRTC local buses and the tipper trucks are very dangerous to other road users. One should never follow a bus, either keep a safe distance or overtake and go, since they will stop anywhere anytime.

CLJ
Old 6th March 2010, 23:02   #1132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
passionforcars, MC Road is equally congested compared with NH47, worse because it is twisty and narrower roads not conducive to high-speed driving unless you like rallying!

In the circumstances, I think the Dindigul-Nagercoil route is not a bad idea. 2-laned toll Dindigul, you can cover Palani in 2 hours and be in Dindigul in 3-4, but from there onwards, it is superfast 4-laner till you are short of Nagercoil. Be prepared for some slow driving in Nagercoil-TVM section.
Thank you HVK sir,

No MC road Plans as of now.

I'm planning to take this route-

Palladam > Dharapuram > Palani > Dindugal > Madurai > thirunelveli > Nagercoil > Tvm

Any idea about the distance?
Old 7th March 2010, 00:11   #1133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Palladam > Dharapuram > Palani > Dindugal > Madurai > thirunelveli > Nagercoil > Tvm

Any idea about the distance?
But why are you going to Palani via Palladam, instead of the direct and shorter road via Pollachi and Udumalaipet, which is only 100 kms (against 120 kms in the other route). The Pollachi route is a good road too.

Coimbatore-Palani 100 kms-Dindigul 70 kms-Madurai 60-Nagercoil 220-Trivandrum 70
Old 7th March 2010, 00:25   #1134
BHPian

Quote:
But why are you going to Palani via Palladam, instead of the direct and shorter road via Pollachi and Udumalaipet, which is only 100 kms (against 120 kms in the other route). The Pollachi route is a good road too.

Coimbatore-Palani 100 kms-Dindigul 70 kms-Madurai 60-Nagercoil 220-Trivandrum 70
OK done

Distance wise i think its almost 100 Kms extra..isn't it?
Coimbatore-Tvm by NH47 will only be 400~420.
Old 7th March 2010, 09:17   #1135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OK done

Even if distance is that much more, I think it should be worth it. NH7 in TN is extremely good, and worth taking. Driving is very less tiring. As HVK Sir mentioned, only stretch that would have problem (heavy traffic) would be Nagercoil-TVM.

Also, it matters where in TVM you want to reach. If it is near Kazhakuttam or so, you could take appropriate detours without entering TVM city.
Old 7th March 2010, 09:35   #1136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OK done

390 kms from Coimbatore to TVM on NH47, compared to 520 on NH7.
Leaving Coimbatore at 2 am, I have reached TVM at 730 am on the NH47 route.
I have also left TVM at 310 am and reached Coimbatore at 750 am. In comparison, I have left TVM at 125 pm and reached Coimbatore at 800 pm. That is the beauty of teh early morning start.
Old 7th March 2010, 11:34   #1137
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang language posts are strictly prohibited on Team-BHP. We advise you to visit our board rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 7th March 2010 at 13:46.
Old 8th March 2010, 11:37   #1138
BHPian

Quote:
Good to know you had a smooth drive. But why was traffic being diverted after Palakkad - because of traffic jams at the KL-TN checkpost at Walayar?
I'm not sure hvk. My guess is as good as yours. I did not bother stopping and asking the cop the reason for the diversion because it would have created a small jam apart from irritating him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cLJ View Post
It is true, the private/KSRTC local buses and the tipper trucks are very dangerous to other road users. One should never follow a bus, either keep a safe distance or overtake and go, since they will stop anywhere anytime.

CLJ
A bus came very close to reducing my 2 month old Manza to pulp along with me and my friends inside it.
Old 8th March 2010, 18:07   #1139

Bangalore to Varkala - Route and road condition

In the upcoming long weekend in April (2nd - 4th), I plan to drive from Bangalore to Varkala and back. Any advise from t-bhp members who have done this recently on the direction (route) and the road condition at various places, approximate drive time? Places to stop for meals and fuel? I will be in a Maruti Swift and there will be four of us. Thank you!

Last edited by Jaggu : 8th March 2010 at 20:13. Reason: Please use Search before opening a new thread, Thanks.
Old 22nd March 2010, 10:49   #1140
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

Next week, I need to go to Chennai from Kochi. I'm planning to start on 24th early morning as I need to reach Mount Road in the afternoon.

I would like to know what is the fastest route for an early morning start from Kochi? Is it Salem-Krishnagiri-Chennai? any alternate routes?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks