Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2010, 10:46   #1246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I traveled from Bangalore till Avinashi on last Saturday. We entered electronic city flyover exactly at 4pm and reched Avinashi at 7.20pm. For the second time in recent trips, we bye passed Salem via Omallur-Sankari route, which has some greenery and a relief to boring highway drive.
Can you give me directions on how to get on to this Omalur - Sankari road ? I did see this route on Google maps and wanted to take it during my last trip, but missed the entry points while driving from Bangalore to Cochin as well as on the way back.
Old 26th April 2010, 12:27   #1247
Senior - BHPian

Once you drive from Dharmapuri, At Omallaur, take a U turn below the flyover to Omallur town (Flyover is only for road in reverse direction, on going road is in surface level; take right side of median to U turn), take left at first junction, then cross a long bridge. There are pretty enough sign boards to Sankari/Erode after this.

I don't know if there any other entry points to Omallur town other than this. Also note that this road is two lane with lot of sharp curves. At Sankari, just below NH 47, there is a service road to enter highway.

Last edited by coolclouds : 26th April 2010 at 12:29.
Old 26th April 2010, 12:45   #1248
BHPian

Last weekend we had a tough time due to traffic jam at Walayar. Last Friday we reached Walayar Checkpost at 11:35pm and by around 12:25 we crossed another 500m and the checkpost. And on return to BLR yesterday, we were forced to take another small road at the Walayar checkpost to reach Chavadi. And at Avinashi, vehicles were piled up in ~1km stretch due to traffic diversions, due to some Festival.

Last edited by Twiny : 26th April 2010 at 12:48.
Old 26th April 2010, 19:04   #1249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
Last weekend we had a tough time due to traffic jam at Walayar. Last Friday we reached Walayar Checkpost at 11:35pm and by around 12:25 we crossed another 500m and the checkpost. And on return to BLR yesterday, we were forced to take another small road at the Walayar checkpost to reach Chavadi. And at Avinashi, vehicles were piled up in ~1km stretch due to traffic diversions, due to some Festival.

Our bus got diverted via Velantavalam but others were also brilliant just like our driver and it caused a heavy jam in the narrow road and simply wasted an hour and a half there.
Old 26th April 2010, 19:22   #1250
BHPian

Theni- Thodupuzha?

Folks, I'd be traveling to Thodupuzha over the weekend. This time I am thinking about doing Salem-Dindigul-Theni route for a change, as I have two spare drivers and less than hectic vacation ahead.

I have two options (and many sub-options) from Theni

1) Via Kambam- Kattappana (can I by-pass Kumily?)
2) Via Bodinayakkannur- Munnar

Which route is shorter?
What would be the approx time needed from Salem?
Also, which is the best rote from Salem to Theni?

Appreciate your help
Old 27th April 2010, 11:49   #1251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Folks, I'd be traveling to Thodupuzha over the weekend. This time I am thinking about doing Salem-Dindigul-Theni route for a change, as I have two spare drivers and less than hectic vacation ahead.

I have two options (and many sub-options) from Theni

1) Via Kambam- Kattappana (can I by-pass Kumily?)
2) Via Bodinayakkannur- Munnar

Which route is shorter?
What would be the approx time needed from Salem?
Also, which is the best rote from Salem to Theni?

Appreciate your help
I did this trip couple of months back through the first route since my destination was near Arakkulam which was on the way to Thodupuzha from Kattappana.

You can drive a breeze till Dindigul, its 4 lane. From Dindigul to Kambam is 2 lane but very much drivable, can be very much compared with current Palakkad Trissur NH47 (Not smooth but very few pothholes since they do path work). Kambam to Cumbomettu is an offroad track with hair pins and some rough stretch but its just around 10KMs. From Cumbomettu till Thodupuzha, roads are 2 lane but very good.

If you travel early morning, you can comfortably reach Dindigul in less than 5 hours. Dindigul to Kambam will take 2 hours flat (<120KM). Kambam to Cumbomettu(10-13Kms) will take around 30-40 minutes if you dont drive an SUV. Cumbommettu to Thodupuzha (around 85KMs) would take more than 2 hours due to the twisty roads.

Other tips :
1) Diversion from Dindigul to Theni road, you have to take service road before the Dindigul flyover and take right under the second flyover (if i rememver correctly).

2) Kambam to Thodupuzha route is not suited for night travel due to Elephants and chance of decoits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Jacs - just saw your reply to my intro

I've taken the route described by you- Mannarkad-Kumaranputhur-Pandikkad-rightturn towards Nilambur. The road from Kumaranputhur till Pandikkad is a kind of state highway, with some smooth sections, more of somewhat 'un-smooth' section and a few really bad sections. I'd driven this road during the last monsoon- around 8 months back, and it was definitely drivable.

The road from Pandikkad to Nilambur is much better. Nilambur to Nadukani checkpost is heaven, particularly the Ghats. I'd gone till Gudallur and then turned towards Bathery.
Thanks mallumawgli. I did the same route except that i contiinued from Gudallur to Bangalore.

Last edited by Jaggu : 27th April 2010 at 17:30. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi (Quote +) instead, Thanks
Old 27th April 2010, 15:53   #1252
Senior - BHPian

Drive to Ashtamudi and Poovar

Guys,

I would be driving down from Bangalore to Ashtamudi (Club Mahindra Backwater Retreat) and Poovar (Poovar Island Resort). Request your feedback on the following:

a. Are both these places accessible by road or would I be required to take a ferry?

b. I would be approaching Ashtamudi from Kochi (NH47) and then moving on to Poovar. Is it possible to bypass Trivandrum on the way?
Old 27th April 2010, 17:26   #1253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
a. Are both these places accessible by road or would I be required to take a ferry?
Yes, Ashtamudi and Poovar town are accessible via road.

Ashtamudi resort seems to be near Chavara. Route is Kochi-Alappuzha-take diversion near Chavara before Kollam town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
b. I would be approaching Ashtamudi from Kochi (NH47) and then moving on to Poovar. Is it possible to bypass Trivandrum on the way?
Near Kazhakuttam on NH47 before entering TVM city, take the bypass towards TVM airport and further. This will take you to Kovalam-Vizhinjam-Poovar.
Old 27th April 2010, 20:44   #1254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
I did this trip couple of months back through the first route since my destination was near Arakkulam which was on the way to Thodupuzha from Kattappana.
Thanks jacs. That makes you my neighbour
Old 27th April 2010, 21:35   #1255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Thanks jacs. That makes you my neighbour
Infact my in-laws are . I'm basically from Kottayam.
Old 27th April 2010, 21:42   #1256
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore to Varkala

Just came back from a hurrycane trip to Varkala, Trivandrum. Started from Bangalore on Sunday morning and reached Bangalore back on Monday evening.

From BLR at 2:15am, reached Samayanallur Railway station diversion near Madurai at 7:30am. Reached Anchal via Kulathupuzha at 1:15pm.

From Anchal, proceed to Ayur to reach MC Road. On MC Road, proceed towards TVM direction to reach Chadayamangalam. Take the right turn at Chadayamangalam. Upon reaching Pallikkal, proceed straight. 2 KM after Pallikkal, there is a IOC petrol pump on right side opposite to which a road goes to left. This road takes you to Kallambalam on NH47. Varkala is 8 KM from Kallambalam. Straight takes to Paripally to reach NH47. At Paripally, take left towards TVM on NH47, proceed 0.5 KM and then take diversion to right for Varkala. Varkala is 12 KM from Paripally.

Route: Bangalore 426-Madurai BP 180-Tenkasi 47-Kulathupuzha 18-Anchal 7-Ayur 3-Chadayamangalam 10-Pallikkal 6-Paripally 5-Palayamkunnu 3-Ayiroor 6-Varkala 8-Kallambalam 38-TVM

NH208 has been relaid and is in excellent condition. There are couple of KM stretches near Rajapalayam, Srivilliputhur where some part of roads are not patched up. Otherwise smooth all the way.

Tenkasi is a mess due to the railway over-bridge construction. Had a tough time navigating through busy market roads.

Kulathupuzha-Ayur-Paripally stretch has good road surface throughout. Extremely sparse traffic. Pallikkal to Paripally is 1.5 lanes. Watch out for private buses on the curves.

Paripally-Varkala and Kallambalam-Varkala are excellent roads.

Update on TVM-BLR route here.
Old 28th April 2010, 00:06   #1257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Yes, Ashtamudi and Poovar town are accessible via road
Thanks Raj. Am aware about the towns being accessible - my query was specificallyfor these resorts. Sorry if I did not articulate properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Near Kazhakuttam on NH47 before entering TVM city, take the bypass towards TVM airport and further. This will take you to Kovalam-Vizhinjam-Poovar.
Awesome - this is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks a ton!!
Old 28th April 2010, 11:07   #1258
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Sorry for taking 2 days to post the updates of my return trip from Kottayam via Mannarkad. Just wanted to download the snaps and reviewing the distance and time logs.

We started around 4:45AM from Manarcad (Kottayam) through the below route#1 which I'm trying for the first time. It was almost 10KM short to Manarcad - Kottayam - Ettumanoor - Kuravilangad - Monippally - Koothattukulam and no traffic hazzles and offcourse good green roads (though little narrow).

1) Manarcad - Kidangoor - Kadpplamattom - Marangattupally - Koothattukulam (42KMs, 1 hour approx, Good roads)

Take right from Koothattukulam

2) Koothattukulam - Muvattupuzha - Angamaly - Trissur - Alathoor - Palakkad (156KM, 3 hours approx excluding a 30mins breakfast from Pattikkad, Good roads)

Take left from dead end (right to Walayar)

3) Palakkad - Mundur - Karimba - Kanjirappuzha (39KM, 45 minutes approx, Good Roads except the bypass road to NH213)

Reached my friends house in Kanjirappuzha by 10:15AM, sun started hitting us like sword. Its too hot compared to Kottayam but
green and windy. Enjoyed the day and evening greeted us with heavy rain hence slipped to sleep very soon. Got up early morning and again started around 4:45AM from Kanjirappuzha to Bangalore.

1) Kanjirappuzha - Mannarkkad - Kumaramputhur - Melattoor - Pandikkad (73KMs, 1 hour approx, Good roads except few rough patches before Melattoor)

Take right from pandikkad

2) Pandikkad - Wandoor - Nilambur (26KMs, 40 minutes approx including fuel fill @ Wandoor, Good roads but narrow and some small bridge works happening on the way)

Breakfast from Nilambur and started around 7AM towards Gudaloor.

3) Nilambur - Vazhikadav - Gudalur - Teppakkad - Mudhumalai - Bandipur - Gundelpet - Nanjagudu - Mysore - Mandhya - Bidadi - NICE Rd Gottigere - Electronic City (315KMs, 6 hours approx due to the slow drive till we cross Bandipur forest)

We reached home by 2PM since we took lots of breaks in between for lunch and sightseeing.

Total Distance : 651KMs
Travel Time : 11.5 hours
Please consider +/- 5% tolerence for the accuracy of distance and time logs.

Last edited by jacs : 28th April 2010 at 11:10.
Old 28th April 2010, 22:28   #1259
BHPian

Could someone update me on the present road conditions to calicut, especially to the ghat section/hair pin bends. This stretch is bad most times, is it still the same or has it improved.
Iam doing a week end trip to Calicut on my swifty.
Old 29th April 2010, 08:47   #1260
Senior - BHPian

Palakkad to Cochin

Drove a friend's Zen from Palakkad to Ernakulam and back via Nemmara on 25th/26th.

Road from Palakkad to Trichur is as usual very crowded and the road surface broken in many places, Trichur by-pass is in the same conditions, some sections are resurfaced and smooth. After the by-pass till Angamally the 4 laning work is going very slowly, IMO, many sections are tarred but there area couple of bottlenecks and switch backs, took me 3 hours of non-stop driving, jam from Alwaye.

On the way back on 26th, got caught in a nasty bit of rain, too me 5 hours through Nemmara, had to stop at Vadakkancherry near Hotel Daina for the rain to stop, it was torrential and great to watch from the road side

The whole experiene of driving to Cochin and back was not good compared to other states.

--Ramky
-----------

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks