Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2010, 20:52   #1321
Senior - BHPian

Just 2 weeks back I tavelled in this stretch. I didn't knew before Bannari it had big ghat section which I would have avoided since this time was with temporarily hired driver (but he is expert still cant trust...). anyway we enjoyed the travel!! I found there is big vehicular traffic too!! That day was dedicated to hair pin bends!!

Road I took: Bangalore-Mandya-Bannur-Somanathpura-T Narasipura-chamaraj Nagar-Ghat Section-Bannari-MettuPalayam-Kotagiri-Ooty (360km) We enjoyed every bit of it!!

Amazing roads except for 10-20km bit patchy stretches (mandya-bannur-t narasipura and 3-4km from tamil nadu side) but any cars can take!! I heard from confirmed source via Kanakapura-Malavalli road is bad, so based on suggestion we took the route via Mandya.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 31st May 2010 at 20:58.
Old 7th June 2010, 23:52   #1322

Monsoon Road Trip to Kerala!

Hello all!

I am planning on a road trip from Hyderabad to Kerala starting this Friday(11th of June).

Will be heading to Bangalore and was planning on entering Kerala via Bandipur. My first stop would be Wayanad and will be spending 2 days there to cover places in and around (Chembra Peak etc; 13th and 14th)

Next stop would be Alleppey. Will visit places around and go for the houseboat stay.

I have been advised by my Mallu dosts not to venture out on the roads too much during this season because of the high probability of land slides occurring and jamming the roads.

I would be grateful if anyone could point out if my itinerary is 'OK' and suggest which routes to take for Wayanad and thereon to Alleppey. Also, the return drive from Kochi to Bangalore?

Thanks a million in advance
Old 8th June 2010, 08:31   #1323
Senior - BHPian

Appreciate if somebody can help me with the current road conditions between Athirapalli - Pollachi - Thiruppur - Salem route. Thanks.
Old 8th June 2010, 09:40   #1324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intoxicator View Post
Will be heading to Bangalore and was planning on entering Kerala via Bandipur. My first stop would be Wayanad and will be spending 2 days there to cover places in and around (Chembra Peak etc; 13th and 14th)

I have been advised by my Mallu dosts not to venture out on the roads too much during this season because of the high probability of land slides occurring and jamming the roads.

I would be grateful if anyone could point out if my itinerary is 'OK' and suggest which routes to take for Wayanad and thereon to Alleppey. Also, the return drive from Kochi to Bangalore?

Thanks a million in advance
No problem with landslides anywhere, unless there are some very heavy rains - even then, there will not be much dislocation.

For Wayanad, the classic Mysore route is OK. Make sure you cross Bandipur area before the night closure timings.

From Wayanadu, the route choices to Alapuzha are:
Route 1: Wayanad-Kozhikode/Calicut-Kuttipuram-Kunnamkulam-Ernakulam/Koci-Alapuzha
Route 2: Wayanad-Nilambur-Shoranur-Trissur-Ernakulam-Alapuzha

The route via Calicut is straightforward, but you will encounter high traffic by day. But that would be preferred.
Old 8th June 2010, 09:42   #1325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Appreciate if somebody can help me with the current road conditions between Athirapalli - Pollachi - Thiruppur - Salem route. Thanks.
The route is in good condition. However, with heavy rains in the region, the road to Valparai can also crack up. From Tiruppur, I presume you will join NH47 at Avinashi.
Old 8th June 2010, 09:49   #1326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The route is in good condition. However, with heavy rains in the region, the road to Valparai can also crack up. From Tiruppur, I presume you will join NH47 at Avinashi.
Well its for my friends who're travelling so appreciate if you can suggest what is recommended from Thiruppur to Salem.
All Roads to Kerala-p1.jpg
Should we take the blue lined road or the red lined road? Which is better?

Thank you very much Sir
Old 8th June 2010, 09:51   #1327
Senior - BHPian

Both are OK, but the Perumanallur road is shorter.
Old 8th June 2010, 10:05   #1328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Both are OK, but the Perumanallur road is shorter.
Ok, Thank you so much Sir. Will suggest as recommended. But Sir, I've a question, is it not possible to avoid Valparai or one has to necessarily go via Valparai when coming from Athirapalli to Thiruppur to Salem?
Old 8th June 2010, 10:32   #1329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, Thank you so much Sir. Will suggest as recommended. But Sir, I've a question, is it not possible to avoid Valparai or one has to necessarily go via Valparai when coming from Athirapalli to Thiruppur to Salem?
No other way, you have to go via Valparai.
Don't go by what Google Maps says, there is no road from Athirapalli-Sholayar via Parambikulam to Pollachi, as indicated in the maps.
Old 8th June 2010, 10:41   #1330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't go by what Google Maps says, there is no road from Athirapalli-Sholayar via Parambikulam to Pollachi, as indicated in the maps.
+1, A road existed earlier through the Parambikulam Tiger Reserve to Athirapally, but that road is now closed to traffic and only the forest dept jeeps ply on it.
Old 8th June 2010, 10:42   #1331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
+1, A road existed earlier through the Parambikulam Tiger Reserve to Athirapally, but that road is now closed to traffic and only the forest dept jeeps ply on it.
That is still there, but it is a dirt track closed to civilian traffic.
Old 8th June 2010, 13:48   #1332
BHPian

I did Bangalore-Kothamangalam-Bangalore over the weekend.

Onward, I took the Bangalore -Salem - Dindigul - Theni - Body - Pooppara - Rajakumari - Rajakkad - Kallarkutty - Vellathooval - Adimali - Kothamangalam route.
The road is excellent, with no much traffic.

On return, I took NH-47 (Kothamangalam -(AM Road) - Perumbavoor - (MC Road) - Angamali - Salem - Bangalore.

In Kerala, the traffic was moderate as per NH47 std. But Coimbatore - Avinasi stretch was hectic as usual. So any day, I prefer the other route.
Old 8th June 2010, 17:00   #1333
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
The route via Calicut is straightforward, but you will encounter high traffic by day. But that would be preferred.
And right upto Ernakulam / Cochin, it is without bad patches. The Aroor - Cherthala 4 laned portion has some bad patches and sticking to the right lane is better as far as possible.

On 03/06/2010, I reached Calicut byepass beginning (243km) at 1022hrs from Alleppey, journey started at 0508hrs. The break was between 0902 and 0930hrs for breakfast.

I did not go into Calicut as I was on my way to Kannur (Parassinikadavu Temple).

If you see any private bus approaching you from front or back, please keep as much distance as possible from it.

Last edited by trrk : 8th June 2010 at 17:02.
Old 8th June 2010, 18:41   #1334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Thanks @addyhemmige

Thank you Sir; so the ideal route will be Athirapally-Nellyampathi-Valparai-Pollachi-Palladam-Tiruppur-Perumanallur. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 8th June 2010, 19:30   #1335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks @addyhemmige

Thank you Sir; so the ideal route will be Athirapally-Nellyampathi-Valparai-Pollachi-Palladam-Tiruppur-Perumanallur. Correct me if I'm wrong.
No, No, No. You are again relying on these inaccurate Google Maps. The route is as follows:

Athirapalli-Vazhachal 5 kms-Peringalkuth Dam/Checkpost 5-Sholayar Dam 25-Malakkiparai (KL/TN Border)/Check Post 24-Valparai 22-Rottikadai/Iyerpadi 5-Aliyar Dam 36-Pollachi 24

Nelliyampathi is nowhere on this route, that can be accessed through a dirt track from Sholayar Dam which is not open to us.

From Pollachi, your route to NH47 is fine.

Last edited by hvkumar : 8th June 2010 at 19:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks