Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2010, 16:18   #1411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
I have been through this route in June. I wanted to get an alternate route to bypass Nagercoil.

Road condition was not great, under repair. Sedans/hatches would find it difficult whereas it should be fine for SUVs. Scenic road with lots of vegetation around.

On the way one finds the Pechiparai waterfalls, dam as well.
I don't think it is worth taking tis alternative route to escape the congestion on NH47. But great if you have all the time in the world. I guess you can start from Neyyar Dam and come to Pechipara. There are linkages to this road from NH47 in some places since it runs more or less parallel to it. I had to take this road partly once thanks to some accident on NH47. Does anyone know where the connections between the 2 roads are?
Old 22nd July 2010, 16:27   #1412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I don't think it is worth taking tis alternative route to escape the congestion on NH47.
Yes Sir, you are the master. Roads are not worth the trouble. And somewhat isolated. But it is still an option (worst case).

Quote:
But great if you have all the time in the world. I guess you can start from Neyyar Dam and come to Pechipara.
That is exactly what we did. We went for a day trip to Neyyar dam, Pechipara falls/dam and then to Kanyakumari via Aralvaimozhi.

Quote:
There are linkages to this road from NH47 in some places since it runs more or less parallel to it. I had to take this road partly once thanks to some accident on NH47. Does anyone know where the connections between the 2 roads are?
One linkage I know is - after Kulasekharam, the initial left turn road goes to Aralvaimozhi. Instead of taking this, if one goes straight, there is a second left which runs parallel to this road and reaches Padmanabhapuram first and then into NH47 at Thackalay. If the second left turn is not taken, I think the road leads to Marthandam.
Old 22nd July 2010, 23:06   #1413

Could trucks actually use this route into Tamil Nadu? Does this route allow for them to pay octroi or whatever taxes/paperwork that Kerala requires that causes the Walayar nightmare?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Velamthavalam route is very narrow, if you are stuck it will be even worst nightmare. Lot of trucks take this way, have tried it once but would not recommend it especially at night.
Old 23rd July 2010, 09:58   #1414
Senior - BHPian

There is a check post at Velanthavalam that allows all the documentation as Walayar does. Trucks prefer as this is less congested and more corrupted.
Old 23rd July 2010, 10:35   #1415
BHPian

@uy663z: Are you South Kerala bound? If so how about Tiruppur-Paladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Wadakkenchery? The last 80 km till Walayar is anyway messed up a little with narrow highways. Valparai-Chalakudy (South-bound)/CBE-Annakatti-Mannarkad (For Malabar) will be over hills and time-consuming.
Old 23rd July 2010, 11:08   #1416
Senior - BHPian

Valparai-Chalakudy is narrow forest road and not safe for night drives.
Old 23rd July 2010, 11:34   #1417
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Valparai-Chalakudy is narrow forest road and not safe for night drives.
More importantly without ANY mobile signals for most of the forest route!
Old 24th July 2010, 18:41   #1418
joe
BHPian

Thodupuzha to Kumily via Puliyanmala

Hi guys

Has anyone used the Thodupuzha - Puliyanmala - Kumily route recently? I usually take the Muttom - Erattupetta - Kanjirapally route and wanted to try this route.

Thanks
Old 24th July 2010, 19:00   #1419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe View Post
Hi guys

Has anyone used the Thodupuzha - Puliyanmala - Kumily route recently? I usually take the Muttom - Erattupetta - Kanjirapally route and wanted to try this route.

Thanks
One of my friends went recently, road is good.
Old 29th July 2010, 13:04   #1420
BHPian

Different way of dong a Kerala trip

I will be going to Thiruvlla from Bangalore on 21st August for Onam vacations. Being the holiday session, it is very difficult to get the tickets in train and bus, so I am planning to drive my Scorpio. I have done this route several times via Salem - Coimbatore and Dindugal - Kumaly.

This time I want to try a different route. That is, Bangalore - Pollachi - Valparai Chalakkudy - Muvattupuzha - Kottayam - Tiruvalla. As far my calculations, the Distance would be around 730 kms (100 kms extra cramped to normal route).

The route as follows.

Bangalore pollachi - 415 Kms

Pollachi - Aliyar Dam (27 Kms)

Aliyar Dam - Valparai (42 Kms)

Valparai - Sholayar Dam (22 Kms)

Malakkapara CP - Vazhachal CP (50 Kms)

Vazhachal CP - NH47 (Chalakudi) (36Kms)

Chalakkudi - Thiruvalla - (130) KMS

So If am starting from 3.30 AM From Bangalore, is it possible to reach Tiruvalla by 9.30 PM, assuming that I am taking some break in the view points in between.

I know there are so many Bhpians are looking to drive down for Onam vacation to Kerala, anybody interested to try out the above mentioned route?
Old 29th July 2010, 14:22   #1421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Gladiator View Post
Bangalore - Pollachi - Valparai - Chalakkudy - Muvattupuzha - Kottayam - Tiruvalla.
If anybody has done the trip recently between valpari and Chalakudy, how is the condition of the Road during the monsoon ?.

Last edited by Speed-Gladiator : 29th July 2010 at 14:42.
Old 29th July 2010, 15:46   #1422
BHPian

Hi Friends,

Will be driving from Bangalore to Alleppey next week and planning to take the NH7 / NH 47 route. Needed to know the current road conditions on this route? Any better and faster alternative to this route? Thanks in advance guys!

Regards
Rams
Old 29th July 2010, 17:48   #1423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsnavy View Post
Will be driving from Bangalore to Alleppey next week and planning to take the NH7 / NH 47 route. Needed to know the current road conditions on this route?
See the posts earlier by pramodkumar and trrk. There are lots of broken stretches between EKM and ALP on NH47. Since it is raining, the traffic is going to be a pain too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsnavy View Post
Any better and faster alternative to this route?
Since destination is Alappuzha, I am not very sure whether this will help.
Possible alternative routs are:
1) Bangalore-Salem-Madurai-Tenkasi-Punalur-Changanassery-Alappuzha.
2) Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Theni-Kambam-Kottayam-Alappuzha.

NH7 is far better than NH47. So till Madurai/Dindigul, you would have great highways. An early morning (2AM) start would mean one is in Madurai/Dindigul by 7AM.
Old 29th July 2010, 18:52   #1424
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
The Tenkasi Punalur is good even now. The MC Road is supposed to be in good condition.

The Alleppey Changanassery road has some potholes, but is excellent in spite of them.
Old 29th July 2010, 19:03   #1425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since destination is Alappuzha, I am not very sure whether this will help.
Possible alternative routs are:
2) Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Theni-Kambam-Kottayam-Alappuzha.

NH7 is far better than NH47. So till Madurai/Dindigul, you would have great highways. An early morning (2AM) start would mean one is in Madurai/Dindigul by 7AM.
NH7/NH47 would be be the shortest, but the traffic on the Kerala portion of NH47 doesn't normally allow you to drive at more than about 40 kmph on an average. And recent reports about the road conditions aren't very encouraging either.

The alternative 1 mentioned above is certainly much longer and roundabout, so it may be worth trying out the alternative 2 suggested above. NH7 till Dindigul is excellent, and the NH45/220 passing through Batlagundu-Theni-Kambam-Kanjirappalli and ending in Kottayam is also in decent shape as per last reports.

To go to Alleppey, it would be easier to go via Changanacherry rather than Kottayam. You can deviate to Changanacherry from Vazhoor (the junction is called Pulickal Kavala) which is about 22 kms before Kottayam. From this point to Changanacherry is only about 25 kms and that road is generally quite OK (Not sure of the current conditions as I haven't travelled that way for a while now). From Changanacherry, SH11 takes you to Alleppey and as per TRRK's report that road is also in pretty good shape in spite of occasional water logging.

The distance from Bangalore to Alleppey through this route should be approximately 640 kms or so, and I think one should be able to do it in about 10-12 hours depending on how fast a driver you are.

P.S. Don't go by Google maps for details on the road between NH220 and Changanacherry. The roads marked there are wrong/duplicates/non-existent etc.. In case you plan to take this route, leave a message here, I can give you more precise directions.

Most Viewed