Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2010, 01:30   #1561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Has anyone tried the following three routes recently? Am planning a drive, and would like to be prepared for the roads, traffic, weather conditions and what-nots!

How is this route? It is through the Eravikulam National park, so guess it would be a scenic drive - but conditions? This is Munnar to Kumarakom.
Attachment 413967

I would greatly appreciate any tip / advice / suggestion on these routes!
I took a good part of your second route, from Adimali to Allepey. Based on my experience this is what I think

The route is quite scenic from Adimali until you reach the plains, but the roads are quite narrow with heavy oncoming traffic so it consumes a lot of time. There are no pothole though on this road.

From kothamangalam -> muvattupuzha -> Cochin (tripanithura) its normal narrow two lane roads with usual kerala traffic.

From cochin to Allepey the NH 47 is full of patch works and some rare potholes. There is a good amount of traffic always and hence difficult to attain too much speed. It took around 4 hrs from Adimali to Alleppey.
Old 27th August 2010, 08:54   #1562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
I took a good part of your second route, from Adimali to Allepey. Based on my experience this is what I think

The route is quite scenic from Adimali until you reach the plains, but the roads are quite narrow with heavy oncoming traffic so it consumes a lot of time. There are no pothole though on this road.

From kothamangalam -> muvattupuzha -> Cochin (tripanithura) its normal narrow two lane roads with usual kerala traffic.

From cochin to Allepey the NH 47 is full of patch works and some rare potholes. There is a good amount of traffic always and hence difficult to attain too much speed. It took around 4 hrs from Adimali to Alleppey.
Thanks a ton for the input! What time of the day did you do this drive? I assumed about 3 hours for the ~160 KM stretch (Google Maps says 2:48 hours), but your timings seem to bring in some reality!

Also, will Kothamangalam > Muvattupuzha > Koothattukulam > Kottayam > Kumarakom be any better? It seems to be a State Highway (Named MC Road / SH1 at places in Google Maps).
Old 27th August 2010, 09:49   #1563
Senior - BHPian

Munnar to Kumarakom, it should be better to take MC road from Muvattupuzha via Kottayam. I think, this should be better scenic and less congested compared to Kolenchery-Puthencruz-Tripunithura-Vaikom route.
Old 27th August 2010, 10:10   #1564
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a ton for the input! What time of the day did you do this drive? I assumed about 3 hours for the ~160 KM stretch (Google Maps says 2:48 hours), but your timings seem to bring in some reality!

Also, will Kothamangalam > Muvattupuzha > Koothattukulam > Kottayam > Kumarakom be any better? It seems to be a State Highway (Named MC Road / SH1 at places in Google Maps).
We took that drive last friday around noon. Not sure if it was due to the Onam shopping there was good amount of traffic all over the place. I guess 3 to 3.5 hours would be achievable easily. We checked about the other route with couple of locals but asked us to stick to this route. One reason could be that we were heading to Alleppey and it was on NH47 and another one could be that we were on KA regn car so they could have thought that we might find it difficult to find our way( in spite of me asking directions in Malayalam )
Old 27th August 2010, 10:18   #1565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Munnar to Kumarakom, it should be better to take MC road from Muvattupuzha via Kottayam. I think, this should be better scenic and less congested compared to Kolenchery-Puthencruz-Tripunithura-Vaikom route.
Latest update as of day before y'day on our way to MVPA - Ettumanur - KTYM - Panachikaadu

MC road from EKM to Muvattupuzha - super breeze & easy to maintain 100 Kmph but for the turns.

From Muvattupuzha to Kottayam - roads are good, but not silky smooth & is a test for suspension & struts. What I mean is, one can keep an average speed (not top speed) of 35+ Kmph.

We started 5:40 from MVPA & reached Ettumanur by 6:50; started from Ettumanur by 7:30 & reached Panachikaadu by 8:05 AM.

Regarding Tripunithura - Vaikom route, pls check my previous post a page or so back with the pics. Its more than horrible; I get a feeling that Kottayam & Palakkad districts are worst when it comes to road maintainence, while Thrissur & EKM are toppers. We lost a heavy time due to the bad roads between Karuthuruthy - Vaikom road, due to which we couldn't able to visit Chotanikara temple.

Last edited by aargee : 27th August 2010 at 10:21.
Old 27th August 2010, 10:23   #1566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
jacs, do you think that even without traffic jams at Walayar, it may be a better idea to go via K G Chavadi, link up via Koduvayur and rejoin NH47 at Alathur so that you bypass Palakkad totally? I heard that this road is also not in a great shape, but do you think congestion is less on this route? I have driven on it many many years ago and I remember it to be a narrow road but a quick way to get from Coimbatore side to Trissur side.
No HVK, without traffic Walayar would be the faster route. Route via K G Chavadi is narrow and would be unfriendly in night due to several junctions without much signages. I chose this route since there were some stops in Kozhinjampara and Nalleppally to see some family friends.
Old 27th August 2010, 10:27   #1567
Team-BHP Support

Route-1.

Perambalur-Musiri : No Idea
Musiri-Karur-Dharapuram : Decent Route NH7 + State Highways
Dharappuram-Udumalpet-Munnar : Standard route No issues.

Route 2
Munnar-Kumarakom

I took the exact route last Dec. (Thanks to Deep Clutch and CoolClounds).
They suggested a way around Thrippunithura (Through Thiruvankulam/Kureekad)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1381679

Not any idea about route 3. Never driven.
Old 27th August 2010, 11:27   #1568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Another option is reach Koothattukulam via Muvattupuzha and join Thodupuzha-Vaikom route via Elanji-Peruva-Thalayolaparambu and proceed to Kumarakom.
Don't know the latest road conditions.
Old 27th August 2010, 14:19   #1569
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone for your inputs!

I guess the only part I am not sure about is the Perambalur - Musri stretch (which, I think, I did recently when I did Hosur Road from Nagercoil and skipped Madurai Inner Ring Road - was a state highway being 4-laned, so at times had traffic coming in the opposite direction too).

I will take the Kothamangalam - Ettumanoor - Kumanam - Kumarakom stretch for the second lap. While the Nerimangalam - Thodupuzha - Ettumanoor stretch is an option, don't want to be an an exploratory trip (if anyone has done this stretch, and can tell something about the recent road / traffic conditions...) (@ampere - am also checking the Munnar - Kumarakom thread)

The third lap is pretty much the usual NH47 mostly I guess. Any idea how is the route through Changanassery - Thiruvalla - Mavelikkara - Kayankulam in recent times?

Again, thanks everyone for the helpful inputs! Aargee, I will talk to you over the weekend...

Last edited by ph03n!x : 27th August 2010 at 14:22.
Old 27th August 2010, 14:47   #1570
Senior - BHPian

Perambalur - Musiri is a 2 lane state highway which was in decent shape a few months back. A couple of bridges were being constructed but that should not be an issue. The traffic is light so you could maintain decent speeds. The only issue is getting inside Perambalur and crossing the town. Similarly you have to cross through Thuraiyur as well. At Musiri you will have to cross over Cauvery and join NH67.

The progress from here on until Karur is going to be slow because of road work, heavy traffic etc. Crossing Karur would also take a lot of time for you. Once you cross Karur NH67 is a lovely 2 lane highway in great shape. The road from Dharapuram to Udumalaipettai is also in good shape.

Also while planning your departure time, keep in mind you would roughly need about 8 hours atleast in terms of driving time until Udumalaipettai.
Old 27th August 2010, 14:59   #1571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your inputs!

I guess the only part I am not sure about is the Perambalur - Musri stretch (which, I think, I did recently when I did Hosur Road from Nagercoil and skipped Madurai Inner Ring Road - was a state highway being 4-laned, so at times had traffic coming in the opposite direction too).

I will take the Kothamangalam - Ettumanoor - Kumanam - Kumarakom stretch for the second lap. While the Nerimangalam - Thodupuzha - Ettumanoor stretch is an option, don't want to be an an exploratory trip (if anyone has done this stretch, and can tell something about the recent road / traffic conditions...) (@ampere - am also checking the Munnar - Kumarakom thread)

The third lap is pretty much the usual NH47 mostly I guess. Any idea how is the route through Changanassery - Thiruvalla - Mavelikkara - Kayankulam in recent times?

Again, thanks everyone for the helpful inputs! Aargee, I will talk to you over the weekend...
If you are planning Neriyamangalam-Thodupuzha route, you may try Thodupuzha-Vaikom route to reach Kumarakom instead of Kottayam route.
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-tdpzavkm.jpg  

Old 27th August 2010, 15:50   #1572
BHPian

Wbat is the Best possible route from Kumily to Kollam.
Old 30th August 2010, 11:17   #1573
Senior - BHPian

Upcoming trip to Kerala - a few queries

Guys,

I would be driving around Kerala next month and have a few queries pertaining to the various sectors I would be driving on. Here goes...

A. Gudalur - Nilambur - NH17 - Cherai Beach

- What are the latest road conditions on Gudalur - Nilambur stretch?
- Which is the best/optimal route Nilambur onwards to hit NH17 and continue onwards towards Cherai?
- I understand that for Cherai I need to turn right (West) on NH17 at Paravoor. Can someone please confirm this?

B. Cherai - Ashtamudi

- I guess NH47 passes through Ernakulam - is there a bypass?

C. Ashtamudi - Thekkady

- What would be the best/optimal route for this stretch?
- Any recommended stopover for lunch?

Thanks in advance for all your help...
Old 30th August 2010, 11:35   #1574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
- Which is the best/optimal route Nilambur onwards to hit NH17 and continue onwards towards Cherai?
- I understand that for Cherai I need to turn right (West) on NH17 at Paravoor. Can someone please confirm this?
There are many routes from Nilambur to NH17. For your purpose, maybe the best route would be Nilambur-Wandoor-Pandikkad-Perinthalmanna-Angadipuram-Valancherry (NH17)

From Paravur town turn right (off NH17) towards Vypeen to go to Cherai.

Quote:
- I guess NH47 passes through Ernakulam - is there a bypass?
Since you are in Cherai, you can come direct into Ernakulam City and then join the bypass at Vytilla Junction or near Le Merdien hotel. Not a complicated route.

The bypass is on NH47 and it is not worth for you to return to Paravur and go till Edapalli where the bypass starts (northern end).

Quote:
C. Ashtamudi - Thekkady

- What would be the best/optimal route for this stretch?
- Any recommended stopover for lunch?
From Astamudi, you have 2 choices:
- drive to Kollam and then take the road to Kottarakara via Kundara, and join the MC Road there, to go up to Changanaserry via Adoor, or
- go up NH47 till Kayamkulam (on road to Alapuzha/Kochi) and then take the road to Adoor, where you join the MC Road to Chanaganaserry.

Unfortunately, NH47 is in a very bad shape now, as is the road from Kayamakulam to Adoor too.

From Changanaserry, turn off MC Road and go to Vazhoor where you join the KK Road coming from Kottayam. From there it is a straight run to Kumili via Kanjirapalli, Kuttikanam.

There are lots of places to stop by for refreshments throughout the route, especally after you hit the KK Road.
Old 30th August 2010, 11:38   #1575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manavdotcom View Post
Wbat is the Best possible route from Kumily to Kollam.
Please see my reply to cool_dube.
For those not in the know, Thekkady/Kumili/Periyar refer to the same place. Kumili is the town of the highway where almost all the hotels are situated and the junction of the Kochi/Kottayam-Madurai road with the road going to Munnar. Thekkady is teh actual wildlife sanctuary point where the boat safaris start (and also has the KTDC otels), which is 3 kms from Kumili, and Periyar is the name of the river that is dammed at Thekkady. Kumili is in Tamil Nadu, but Thekkady is in Kerala.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks