Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2010, 11:42   #1576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Another option is reach Koothattukulam via Muvattupuzha and join Thodupuzha-Vaikom route via Elanji-Peruva-Thalayolaparambu and proceed to Kumarakom.
Don't know the latest road conditions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I will take the Kothamangalam - Ettumanoor - Kumanam - Kumarakom stretch for the second lap.
My suggestion on both the routes, I mean, from MVPA-Thodupuzha-Vaikom or Kothamangalam-Ettumanur-Vaikom, is avoid. I took this route a week ago from MVPA-Ettumanur-Kadathuruthy-Vaikom & I've the pics of bad stretch updated with pics here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2047772-post.html. The stretch is completely shattered, say for atleast 5Kms+ & I couldn't do more than 10 Kmph. Just to indicate the timing, I started from Vaikom around 12ish, Thiruvamkulam at 13:00 & reached MVPA at 13:30 sharp & the distance should be about less than 60 Kms.

Instead take the MVPA-Kolenchery-Puthencruz-Thiruvamkulam (take left towards Chottanikara-Vaikom. The roads are excellent & I could top upto 80 Kmph. This will work out shorter too.

Last edited by aargee : 30th August 2010 at 11:44.
Old 30th August 2010, 16:10   #1577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post

Instead take the MVPA-Kolenchery-Puthencruz-Thiruvamkulam (take left towards Chottanikara-Vaikom. The roads are excellent & I could top upto 80 Kmph. This will work out shorter too.
If anyone interested in visiting temples in this route can drop into famous Chottanikkara temple, proceed further to Mulanthuruthy and take a right to reach Tripunithura-Vaikom road at Nadakkavu. This road is also in good condition and not a longer route.

Last edited by coolclouds : 30th August 2010 at 16:12.
Old 30th August 2010, 16:28   #1578
BHPian

Hey guys, I am planning to go for a week long kerala trip starting from 5th Sep from bangalore. My plan is to reach Munnar on 5th stay couple of days there, then go to Harippad(in-laws House) and back after a week. From Munnar should i have to go to cochin or any other routes? Please suggest me best route.
Old 30th August 2010, 16:50   #1579
Senior - BHPian

Kumar sir - thanks for the prompt response. Some queries for the group:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
There are many routes from Nilambur to NH17. For your purpose, maybe the best route would be Nilambur-Wandoor-Pandikkad-Perinthalmanna-Angadipuram-Valancherry (NH17)
How are the road conditions on this route? How do they compare to Manjeri - Malappuram - Kottakkal?

Quote:
Since you are in Cherai, you can come direct into Ernakulam City and then join the bypass at Vytilla Junction or near Le Merdien hotel. Not a complicated route.
This will be over Goshree bridge, correct? Also, the resort I am staying in at Cherai is only 8 kms from Paravur. Would it not make sense for me to drive back to Paravur, join NH17 and continue on southward? This would keep things simple

Quote:
From Astamudi, you have 2 choices:
- drive to Kollam and then take the road to Kottarakara via Kundara, and join the MC Road there, to go up to Changanaserry via Adoor, or
- go up NH47 till Kayamkulam (on road to Alapuzha/Kochi) and then take the road to Adoor, where you join the MC Road to Chanaganaserry.

Unfortunately, NH47 is in a very bad shape now, as is the road from Kayamakulam to Adoor too.
Given the bad state of NH47, I would probably take option 1.

Quote:
From Changanaserry, turn off MC Road and go to Vazhoor where you join the KK Road coming from Kottayam. From there it is a straight run to Kumili via Kanjirapalli, Kuttikanam.
So I need to go all the way up to Kottayam?

In my R&D for this trip, I have realised that Kerala has one of the most complex road network in the coutry
Old 30th August 2010, 17:00   #1580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
This will be over Goshree bridge, correct? Also, the resort I am staying in at Cherai is only 8 kms from Paravur. Would it not make sense for me to drive back to Paravur, join NH17 and continue on southward? This would keep things simple
Problem with Paravur route is that NH17 is a very narrow road from Paravur via Cheranalloor till Ernakuma Edapalli junction. The Edapalli junction - where the bypass starts - sees horrendous traffic jams on many days.

Quote:
So I need to go all the way up to Kottayam?
No, you turn off at Changanaserry and go directly to Vazhoor which saves over 20 kms, plus the bother of navigating Kottayam city.
Old 30th August 2010, 17:48   #1581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From Astamudi, you have 2 choices:
- drive to Kollam and then take the road to Kottarakara via Kundara, and join the MC Road there, to go up to Changanaserry via Adoor, or
- go up NH47 till Kayamkulam (on road to Alapuzha/Kochi) and then take the road to Adoor, where you join the MC Road to Chanaganaserry.
How about the Kayamkulam - Thiruvalla route?
Old 30th August 2010, 20:32   #1582
joe
BHPian

Quote:
Please see my reply to cool_dube.
For those not in the know, Thekkady/Kumili/Periyar refer to the same place. Kumili is the town of the highway where almost all the hotels are situated and the junction of the Kochi/Kottayam-Madurai road with the road going to Munnar. Thekkady is teh actual wildlife sanctuary point where the boat safaris start (and also has the KTDC otels), which is 3 kms from Kumili, and Periyar is the name of the river that is dammed at Thekkady. Kumili is in Tamil Nadu, but Thekkady is in Kerala.
Kumili and Thekkady are in Kerala with Kumili on the border between Kerala and Tamil Nadu, my wife's house is in Kumili and one side of their compound wall is on the TN border or rather it is the border
Old 30th August 2010, 20:55   #1583
Senior - BHPian

Dear Bhpians
The road from Vaikom to Thalaoyolaparamby and from Vaikom to Kumarakom are not at all motorable and these roads are not going to be black topped before December. So please avoid thses roads.
To Kumarakom from Ernakulam go to Kottayam through Poothotta (Puthenkavu), Kanjiramattom, Thalayolaparambu, Ettumanoor, Kottayam, Kumarakom
Old 30th August 2010, 20:59   #1584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe View Post
Kumili and Thekkady are in Kerala with Kumili on the border between Kerala and Tamil Nadu, my wife's house is in Kumili and one side of their compound wall is on the TN border or rather it is the border
You are right. If I remember correctly, there were two bus stands in east and west side of Kumily, one for each state RTCs. The state border line cuts through the town.
Old 31st August 2010, 01:16   #1585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I took this route a week ago from MVPA-Ettumanur-Kadathuruthy-Vaikom & I've the pics of bad stretch updated with pics here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2047772-post.html. The stretch is completely shattered, say for atleast 5Kms+ & I couldn't do more than 10 Kmph. Just to indicate the timing, I started from Vaikom around 12ish, Thiruvamkulam at 13:00 & reached MVPA at 13:30 sharp & the distance should be about less than 60 Kms.

@aargee - Do you recollect if this bad stretch is between MVPA - Ettumanoor or Ettumanoor - Kaduthuruthi - Vaikom? If it is in the latter, then I should be good with MC road, as I will contiune towards Kottayam, and take the Kottayam - Kumarakom road.
Old 31st August 2010, 01:22   #1586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
How about the Kayamkulam - Thiruvalla route?
I believe it is good, one of my friends took it a few weeks ago.
Old 31st August 2010, 08:16   #1587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
@aargee - Do you recollect if this bad stretch is between MVPA - Ettumanoor or Ettumanoor - Kaduthuruthi - Vaikom? If it is in the latter, then I should be good with MC road, as I will contiune towards Kottayam, and take the Kottayam - Kumarakom road.
Its between Kadathuruthi to Vaikom.
The route towards Vaikom starts about 10-12 Kms before Kottayam (when you go from MVPA towards Kottayam in MC road).

IMO, you don't need to worry on the road condition that I mentioned because when you go from MVPA, you'll not be touching Kadathuruthy, but only pass via Vaikom (basically part of SH42 on google maps).

If you're interested in taking darshan at Chottanikara & Vaikom temples, then take this route, otherwise go via Kottayam.

Just enquire on the road condition between Kottayam & Kumarakoam & then you'll be fine. MC road is in good condition, just keep your suspension in top condition & you'll be fine.

Let me know if you need any help when you pass via MVPA; my folks will be happy to help.
Old 31st August 2010, 11:11   #1588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its between Kadathuruthi to Vaikom.
The route towards Vaikom starts about 10-12 Kms before Kottayam (when you go from MVPA towards Kottayam in MC road).

IMO, you don't need to worry on the road condition that I mentioned because when you go from MVPA, you'll not be touching Kadathuruthy, but only pass via Vaikom (basically part of SH42 on google maps).

If you're interested in taking darshan at Chottanikara & Vaikom temples, then take this route, otherwise go via Kottayam.

Just enquire on the road condition between Kottayam & Kumarakoam & then you'll be fine. MC road is in good condition, just keep your suspension in top condition & you'll be fine.

Let me know if you need any help when you pass via MVPA; my folks will be happy to help.
In case other routes are very bad on Muvattupuzha - Vaikom stretch, try following alternatives:

Muvattupuzha-Piravom-Peruva-Thalayolaparambu-Vaikom (about 45kms, some bad stretches)

Muvattupuzha-Piravom-Kanjiramattom/Nadakkavu-Poothotta-Vaikom (newly laid excellent roads after Anchelpetty (about 13kms from Muvattupuzha)) - total distance approx. 50kms and less traffic. Muvattupuzha-Anchelpetty also used to be in almost good condition.

Last edited by coolclouds : 31st August 2010 at 11:20.
Old 31st August 2010, 11:27   #1589
BHPian

Centre scraps the night traffic ban on the Bandipur-Muthanga forest stretch.

Here is the linky:

Centre lifts night traffic ban
Old 31st August 2010, 12:23   #1590
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post

Centre scraps the night traffic ban on the Bandipur-Muthanga forest stretch.

Here is the linky:

Centre lifts night traffic ban
Some how does not seem like a good move to me. Would have good with the night ban.

Most Viewed