Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2010, 21:01   #1621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Vasoo - As far as I know, Bangalore - Mysore - Gudalur is good overall with Mysore - Nanjangud and a 2 km stretch just after Gundlupet being the only two bad stretches. However, not too sure about the route beyond. Any updates on this would be highly appreciated.

In fact, I am planning to take Nilambur - Vadapuram - Wandoor - Pandikkad - Pattikad - Perinthalmanna - Pattambi - Kunnamkulam - Chavakkad for my Bangalore - Kochi trip later this month.
I dont think anybody has driven this route recently. Anyway I am going ahead with the trip through this route on Friday. Will update the status next Monday when I am back.
Old 9th September 2010, 11:00   #1622
BHPian

Anyone on B'lore - Calicut route tomorrow? Being a 3 day weekend, i know there will be lot of people on the road. Drive with fellow bhpians will be some relief amidst all the chaos. I'm planning a 5am start from CV Raman nagar tomorrow. PM me if anyone wants to tag along.
Old 9th September 2010, 11:50   #1623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv1976 View Post
Anyone on B'lore - Calicut route tomorrow? Being a 3 day weekend, i know there will be lot of people on the road. Drive with fellow bhpians will be some relief amidst all the chaos. I'm planning a 5am start from CV Raman nagar tomorrow. PM me if anyone wants to tag along.
Missed by a day. I'll be travelling till Kalpetta on Saturday morning, and driving back to Bangalore on Sunday morning/afternoon.
Old 9th September 2010, 12:15   #1624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Missed by a day. I'll be travelling till Kalpetta on Saturday morning, and driving back to Bangalore on Sunday morning/afternoon.
May be I can tag along your drive back. I will be at Kalpetta around 4.45-5pm on Sunday
Old 9th September 2010, 14:32   #1625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv1976 View Post
May be I can tag along your drive back. I will be at Kalpetta around 4.45-5pm on Sunday
Hmm.. not sure if I'll be that late, would like to get to Bangalore by evening if possible (and escape the horrible late evening traffic on SH17). But then my departure time will depend on when I can finish all my scheduled work at Kalpetta - So please give me a call when you're starting, will be happy to have some company on the drive back. I've PM'd you my mobile number.
Old 9th September 2010, 14:38   #1626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I dont think anybody has driven this route recently. Anyway I am going ahead with the trip through this route on Friday. Will update the status next Monday when I am back.
Great! Are you taking the entire route that I mentioned (Nilambur - Chavakkad)? I thought you are headed to Mannarkkad.
Old 10th September 2010, 13:02   #1627
BHPian

Yesterday I had longest commute via NH-7/NH-47

Started from Marathahalli at 4:15pm and reached Kakkanad(EKM) by 3:45am
That included Traffic Jams: Hosur-30mnts, Salem- 45mnts, Walayar- 2:15Hrs & Meals Break-30mnts.

It was showering all the way after Salem. And today it is continuous showering here, since morning
Old 10th September 2010, 14:18   #1628
Senior - BHPian

Twiny, how is the latest road condition between Palghat & Mannuthy?
Old 11th September 2010, 00:17   #1629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
Yesterday I had longest commute via NH-7/NH-47

Started from Marathahalli at 4:15pm and reached Kakkanad(EKM) by 3:45am
That included Traffic Jams: Hosur-30mnts, Salem- 45mnts, Walayar- 2:15Hrs & Meals Break-30mnts.

It was showering all the way after Salem. And today it is continuous showering here, since morning
That is really long!
Surprised about the Salem jam - why?
Walayar 2.15 hours is also longer than normal - same issue with trucks crowding all around, but then why should it take so long? I am bemused that the police has no control over truck parking at the check posts.
Old 11th September 2010, 09:25   #1630
BHPian

Route to Kottayam

Friends - I have to commute to kottayam from banagalore next week , i have 2 route options.

Marathahalli -->Hosur ---> Salem ---> Coimbatore ---> palakkad ---> trichur---> EKM or Muvatupuzha ---> Kottayam

The 2nd option is to go via Salem ---> Karur ----> Dindigul--->Theni ---->Kumily----> Kottyam

Would like to the condition of the road in the above 2 routes and also the approx time taken for 2 routes assuming an max speed of 80 to 100 calm driving (not aggressive) and places for food and rest on the way.

Please help and thanks in Advance .
Old 11th September 2010, 09:30   #1631
Senior - BHPian

Sandy, I would prefer the second route (via Dindigul) to go to Kottayam since the road is superb most of the way. Expect rough conditions for some distance just before Kumili. After Salem, food facilities en route are not great - although you have restaurants in the towns of Theni and Kumbam - till you reach Kumili, after which you can see decent restaurants at Peermede, Kuttikanam & Kanjirapalli.

The first route is not a good choice not only for some bad road sections between Palakkad and Trissur but also due to the heavy traffic by day-time.
Old 11th September 2010, 09:36   #1632
BHPian

Thanks HV ,

Any Idea on the time taken for both routes ?
Old 11th September 2010, 10:18   #1633
Senior - BHPian

Optimal time taken in both the routes - without taking into account time for halts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
Marathahalli -->Hosur ---> Salem ---> Coimbatore ---> palakkad ---> trichur---> EKM or Muvatupuzha ---> Kottayam

The 2nd option is to go via Salem ---> Karur ----> Dindigul--->Theni ---->Kumily----> Kottyam
Bangalore-Salem, 3 hrs
Salem-Coimbatore, 3 hrs
Coimbatore-Palakkad, 1 hr
Palakkad-Trissur, 1.5 hrs
Trissur-Ernakulam, 2 hrs
Ernakulam-KOttayam, 2 hrs
or 12 hrs approximately

Bangalore-Salem, 3 hrs
Salem-Dindigul, 2 hrs
Dindigul-Kumili, 3 hrs
Kumili-Kottayam, 3 hrs
or 11 hrs approximately.

The chances of making it in 11 hrs in the Kumili route are definite, but on the Palakkad route, time overruns can be expected. A fast and lucky driver can cut at least 2 hours from the above time schedules. By night, speeds on the first route can be much higher.
Old 11th September 2010, 10:33   #1634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
That is really long!
Surprised about the Salem jam - why?
Walayar 2.15 hours is also longer than normal - same issue with trucks crowding all around, but then why should it take so long? I am bemused that the police has no control over truck parking at the check posts.
I too got stuck yesterday for nearly 3 hours at Walayar. I was in the bus. between 10am and 12 noon. Jams of 2-3 hrs are normal in Walayar and this is the 3rd or 4th time am getting stuck and the first time in a bus for this duration
Thats why Iam repeating - PLEASE DO NOT PLAN TO CROSS WALAYAR ON FRIDAYS. I've no choice, since I stay at Palakkad and work at Coimbatore. But you all can - take a different route or plan a different day
By saturday things are clear - today while driving down, I saw a maximum of 6 trucks at the check post
@Twiny - when did you cross walayar?
Old 11th September 2010, 10:58   #1635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post

Bangalore-Salem, 3 hrs
Salem-Dindigul, 2 hrs
Dindigul-Kumili, 3 hrs
Kumili-Kottayam, 3 hrs
or 11 hrs approximately.

The chances of making it in 11 hrs in the Kumili route are definite, but on the Palakkad route, time overruns can be expected. A fast and lucky driver can cut at least 2 hours from the above time schedules. By night, speeds on the first route can be much higher.
From my recent trip I did a Kumily - Bangalore in 06:30 hours
It was on 01.09.2010.

Kumily Dindigul was 2:30 hrs (Kumily Theni was 1 hour)
Dindigul Salem was 1:45 hrs
Salem Bangalore 2:15 hrs

Started at 20:00 from KumilyCP, reached Banagalore by 02:30AM. 520Kms.
The 6Km from kumily to lower camp ghats section is bad, rest is smooth roads, 2 lane till Dindigul, and 4 lane all the way from Dindigul.

Also onward journey Bangalore Coimbatore BP was done in 04:30hrs. Start from Banglore was at 23:30.

Last edited by laluks : 11th September 2010 at 11:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks