Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2010, 20:21   #1681
nisam76

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu75 View Post
If you are directly going to Pandalam its better to avoid NH47 in its present condition. Nowadays i am sticking to
Bangalore - Salem - Namakkal - Dindigul - Periyakulam - Theni - Cumbum - Kumily - Mundakkayam - Erumely - Ranni - Pathanamthitta – pandalam.
I heard about this route before, couldn't get any details about the road condition.
How long it takes to reach pandalam? total distance? road condition?
Next time i want to try this route

Old 17th September 2010, 06:53   #1682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
Please see inline the revised ones as on 13/Sep. Now its 273
Its a steep hike at Omallur & Thoppur
Old 17th September 2010, 07:15   #1683
BHPian

I will be travelling to trivandrum from perumbavoor in october. Does anyone know the current condition of roads - NH and MC road? Which is a better option?
Old 17th September 2010, 07:26   #1684
Senior - BHPian

^^^ From the forum, I understand that, NH is bad in some stretches like Sherthala. MC road, though is twisty & not excellent, it is managable to do in 6-7 hours.
Old 17th September 2010, 09:28   #1685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisam76 View Post
I heard about this route before, couldn't get any details about the road condition.
How long it takes to reach pandalam? total distance? road condition?
Next time i want to try this route
I take detour from KK Road at Mundakayam and follow Erumely-ranni-pathanamthitta route.
Erumeli - Ranni - pathanamthitta route was in bad shape when i'd taken this route on mid August. Anyway, another Sabarimala season is coming up, hope they will do some repair / patchup soon.
The distance((Kumily-Pandalam) will be around 115km and you can cover this in 2 1/2 hrs.
Old 17th September 2010, 09:41   #1686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
^^^ From the forum, I understand that, NH is bad in some stretches like Sherthala. MC road, though is twisty & not excellent, it is managable to do in 6-7 hours.
Thanks aargee. But 6-7 hrs , that is too much of a time.
Old 17th September 2010, 09:59   #1687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunV View Post
Thanks aargee. But 6-7 hrs , that is too much of a time.
Well...Google says 4 hours approx as they don't know the road conditions. With good breaks & sane drivings you should be able to do it in 6 hours approx. After Kottayam upto Muvattupuzha you cannot keep up your speeds due to lots of turns. You might even experience 1 or 2 broad hair pins. After Muvattupuzha to Perumbavoor, its a nice breezy road, you can finish it off in 20-25 minutes flat.
Old 17th September 2010, 10:56   #1688
BHPian

Is the Tvm-Kottarakkara stretch 4Lane completed. My last drive to Tvm was in 2007 end, at that time work was going on. Also Is this extended after Kottarakkara also.
Old 17th September 2010, 15:13   #1689
nisam76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
Is the Tvm-Kottarakkara stretch 4Lane completed. My last drive to Tvm was in 2007 end, at that time work was going on. Also Is this extended after Kottarakkara also.
Completed till Chengannur.

Old 17th September 2010, 15:27   #1690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisam76 View Post
Completed till Chengannur.
it's not a 4 lane road. Just two lanes.
Old 17th September 2010, 18:01   #1691
BHPian

Last week I had been to Krishnagiri from Trichur. While going it took me 2.15 hrs to just reach palakkad as the Trichur Palakkad road is really bad. So on my return we took the route via Ottapalam, Shornur, Vadakanchery to Trichur. This route though a bit longer, the road and the scenery is really good. We enjoyed our return trip. Also stopped at a roadside tea kada for a good tea.
Old 17th September 2010, 18:53   #1692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisha8 View Post
Last week I had been to Krishnagiri from Trichur. While going it took me 2.15 hrs to just reach palakkad as the Trichur Palakkad road is really bad...
That is a bit surprising. It has always taken me only 1 hr to do the distance. I just travelled 2 weeks back and the road was not great but so bad that it would take 2+ hrs. Not sure if something that drastic has changed in 2 weeks or if it was just a matter of heavier traffic.
Old 18th September 2010, 14:30   #1693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananth_iy View Post
That is a bit surprising. It has always taken me only 1 hr to do the distance. I just travelled 2 weeks back and the road was not great but so bad that it would take 2+ hrs. Not sure if something that drastic has changed in 2 weeks or if it was just a matter of heavier traffic.
There are some big pot holes that is at different spots. Once we hit badly on one of them and after that we slowed down and drove very cautiously as I was in my Linea. They have patched up in lot of places but not all pot holes are covered.
Old 18th September 2010, 16:31   #1694
Team-BHP Support

Just saw in a program that the road through Nagarhole has been blocked for public (Mananthvady road). This may be old news, but just wanted to know is this the route to Kutta which is marked as SH17D (In MMI Maps)?

Or this is some other road? However the program said there is a diversion route to the forest.

EDIT: The maps shows its some route through the heart of the forest ending in Kutta.

Last edited by ampere : 18th September 2010 at 16:35.
Old 19th September 2010, 10:52   #1695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisha8 View Post
Last week I had been to Krishnagiri from Trichur. While going it took me 2.15 hrs to just reach palakkad as the Trichur Palakkad road is really bad. So on my return we took the route via Ottapalam, Shornur, Vadakanchery to Trichur. This route though a bit longer, the road and the scenery is really good. We enjoyed our return trip. Also stopped at a roadside tea kada for a good tea.
Can you let me know how and where to take this road if I am coming from Cbe to thrissur?

Most Viewed