Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2010, 11:04   #1696
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Can you let me know how and where to take this road if I am coming from Cbe to thrissur?
When you are coming on NH47 from Coimbatore, you will reach the point where you enter Palakkad town - left is the bypass and continuation of NH47 to Trissur.

Enter Palakkad town, and go through town towards the Kozhikode/Ottapalam road via Olavakkot. If I recall right, after entering town, you will come to a right turn to get onto the Olavakkot road without wading through the town.
Old 19th September 2010, 11:15   #1697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
When you are coming on NH47 from Coimbatore, you will reach the point where you enter Palakkad town - left is the bypass and continuation of NH47 to Trissur.

Enter Palakkad town, and go through town towards the Kozhikode/Ottapalam road via Olavakkot. If I recall right, after entering town, you will come to a right turn to get onto the Olavakkot road without wading through the town.
Actually you dont have to wade through the town. You can take the NH 213 towards right, a bit after the turn off to NH47 bypass. This will straight take you across the town to Olavakkod. I came to Bangalore from Mannarkad through this route last week.
Old 19th September 2010, 11:16   #1698
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
^^
+1 to this. I did not make an exact note but it was definitely more than 250.
Quite true! I did a Blore-Trichur drive about 3 weeks back, and calculating the toll, it came up to a similar amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisam76 View Post
I heard about this route before, couldn't get any details about the road condition.
How long it takes to reach pandalam? total distance? road condition?
Next time i want to try this route
You can be rest assured the roads in TN would be anyday better than those in KL. So, the first set of bad roads you face would be in Kumily, as you start descending the ghats. Then on, you can expect the usual KL roads, although in March the condition was reasonable.

Distance is about 650 kms, i believe. I regularly take this route to get to my place in Kulanada, with a stop at Mundakayam. Let me know if you want any further details.
Old 19th September 2010, 12:13   #1699
nisam76

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Quite true! I did a Blore-Trichur drive about 3 weeks back, and calculating the toll, it came up to a similar amount.

You can be rest assured the roads in TN would be anyday better than those in KL. So, the first set of bad roads you face would be in Kumily, as you start descending the ghats. Then on, you can expect the usual KL roads, although in March the condition was reasonable.

Distance is about 650 kms, i believe. I regularly take this route to get to my place in Kulanada, with a stop at Mundakayam. Let me know if you want any further details.
thanks man. How long it takes? I used to drive in the night, night driving is Ok in this route right?

Old 19th September 2010, 12:15   #1700
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I will be doing this route next week. Any latest update on the road condition.
Which route is better
Erumeli - Ranni - Pandalam OR Changanacherry - Tvlla - CGNR - Pandalam after Kumili.
Old 19th September 2010, 12:44   #1701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Which route is better
Erumeli - Ranni - Pandalam OR Changanacherry - Tvlla - CGNR - Pandalam after Kumili.
I have done from Tiruvalla - Bangalore on 31st August via, this route. The roads on Kumaly Ghats (Including Tamilnadu section) are not in great shape, but okay. There are some large potholes in this section, Thanks to the monsoon. It is not bad throughout though. It was in the good shape when I travelled on March. Tiruvalla - Bangalore it is 615 kms through this route.
Old 19th September 2010, 13:03   #1702
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisam76 View Post
thanks man. How long it takes? I used to drive in the night, night driving is Ok in this route right?
Nisam, since you are doing this route for the first time, i would recommend day driving. Next time onwards, you'd be more familiar and can easily do this during the night. From Bangalore to Mundakayam, it takes me about 11 hours to Mundakayam including stops for food, as well as preparing milk for the baby. We usually halt at my in-laws place in Mudakayyam and then continue to Kulanada the next day or later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Which route is better
Erumeli-Ranni-Pandalam is shorter, and you would also encounter lesser traffic although the route has more curves as well as inclines. Once you get onto MC Road, you are faced with the usual mayhem going through towns.

Here is the latest update on this route, thanks to Sped-Gladiator. Unni.ak had also posted a similar update on this route some time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Gladiator View Post
I have done from Tiruvalla - Bangalore on 31st August via, this route. The roads on Kumaly Ghats (Including Tamilnadu section) are not in great shape, but okay. There are some large potholes in this section, Thanks to the monsoon. It is not bad throughout though. It was in the good shape when I travelled on March. Tiruvalla - Bangalore it is 615 kms through this route.
Old 20th September 2010, 11:02   #1703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Just saw in a program that the road through Nagarhole has been blocked for public (Mananthvady road). This may be old news, but just wanted to know is this the route to Kutta which is marked as SH17D (In MMI Maps)?

Or this is some other road? However the program said there is a diversion route to the forest.

EDIT: The maps shows its some route through the heart of the forest ending in Kutta.
I don't know the SH nos, but the road to Kutta starts from Hunsur and goes through Murkal and Nagarhole Forest office. The Mananthavady road starts from Mysore and goes through H D Kote and along the Kabini backwaters and enters Kerala. AFAIK, both roads are closed fro night traffic.
Old 20th September 2010, 11:25   #1704
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I don't know the SH nos, but the road to Kutta starts from Hunsur and goes through Murkal and Nagarhole Forest office. The Mananthavady road starts from Mysore and goes through H D Kote and along the Kabini backwaters and enters Kerala. AFAIK, both roads are closed fro night traffic.
What I heard in that program some road through Nagarhole was permanently closed. I did not know which one was closed. But since I read that folks still keep driving to Kutta, I was not sure.
Old 20th September 2010, 11:57   #1705
Senior - BHPian

Salem - Coimbatore - Palakkad - Cherai

Guys,

Request your feedback on the following:

a. Salem - Coimbatore: How much of this is 4-lane? What are the road conditions?

b. Coimbatore - Palakkad: Latest road conditions?

c. Palakkad - Cherai: What would be the optimal route? I would preferably want to avoid the Palakkad - Thrissur stretch.
Old 20th September 2010, 12:56   #1706
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
What I heard in that program some road through Nagarhole was permanently closed. I did not know which one was closed. But since I read that folks still keep driving to Kutta, I was not sure.
It is quite some time since I visited that part of the region, courtesy my re-location to Chennai, if my memory serves correct what I heard was instead of the road from the Nagarhole park entrance from the HD Kote side to Bavalli, the highway would go via Karapura after taking a left at the park entrance and skirting along the Kabini Backwaters, this would ensure lesser disturbance for the animals. Possibly this could be the reference made in the program though I am just guessing.
Old 20th September 2010, 13:49   #1707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
a. Salem - Coimbatore: How much of this is 4-lane? What are the road conditions?
You don't need to worry much as the roads are not in shattered condition. Regarding the Kms on 4 laning, I do not know. But can assure you that on the entire stretch from Salem upto Avinashi, the roads are 4 laned. From Avinashi, say about for max 10 Kms, the roads are good, but 2 laned without median & from there on upto Palakkad, you've again this L&T toll road, good & empty stretches.

Quote:
b. Coimbatore - Palakkad: Latest road conditions?
Unless you want to get inside Coimbatore city, the roads are good in the bye-pass. Same as above L&T toll

Quote:
c. Palakkad - Cherai: What would be the optimal route? I would preferably want to avoid the Palakkad - Thrissur stretch.
Sorry, I don't have much idea; is this Cherai beach you're talking about?
Old 20th September 2010, 14:24   #1708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Other Option is via Ottapalam,Pattambi,Kunnamkulam,Chavakkad .
I'm not aware of the Road Conditions .
Old 20th September 2010, 14:25   #1709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Best route would be to go on NH4 all the way to Aluva, then turn off to Paravur and from there to Cherai.

This would be better than going through Trissur town.

Another option would be to take the Palakkad-Ottapalam-Shoranur-Perumpilavu-Kunnamkulam route.

I think I would prefer the Aluva route.
Old 20th September 2010, 14:36   #1710
Senior - BHPian

I was thinking, From Palakkad You Can Reach via NH47 till Thalore Bypass or from Kuttanellur,Reach Ollur and Take Iringalakuda-Kodungallur-Cherai?
This Can save Traffic inside Thrissur City(to a Certain Extent) as well as save 4-5kms too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks