Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2010, 18:33   #1786
Senior - BHPian

Last week I drove on NH47 from TVM till Kottiyam. Roads are fine till Kallambalam, but broken from Paripally, Kalluvathukkal area till Kottiyam.
Old 21st October 2010, 14:11   #1787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Guys, Iam planning a Thrissur-Kollam trip this weekend with my 2 month old baby girl. I need you help in the present condition of road especially in Alleppy-Kollam stretch NH 47.
Which would be better 1) MC road ie, TCR-ANGMLY-KOTTARAKARA-KLM or 2) NH 47 ?. Thanks in advance
Roads are good upto Karunagapplly. Some minor damages between Karunagapplayy- Kollam stretch.
Roads are more damaged between Kollam-Trivandrum stretch.
Old 23rd October 2010, 21:33   #1788
BHPian

bangalore to chaliserry

I need to drive down to Chaliserry (Trichur) and google brother gave me this route. (Kaggadasapura Main Rd, Kaggadasapura, Bengaluru, Karnataka to Chalissery, Kerala 679536 - Google Maps

Can anyone please tell me as to whether this route is fine in terms of road conditions or whether I should stick to the salem-palghat-chaliserry route ? Google bhayya tells me that there is a difference of 100 kms between both these routes (but time taken is same).
Old 24th October 2010, 12:45   #1789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
I need to drive down to Chaliserry (Trichur) and google brother gave me this route. (Kaggadasapura Main Rd, Kaggadasapura, Bengaluru, Karnataka to Chalissery, Kerala 679536 - Google Maps

Can anyone please tell me as to whether this route is fine in terms of road conditions or whether I should stick to the salem-palghat-chaliserry route ? Google bhayya tells me that there is a difference of 100 kms between both these routes (but time taken is same).
I understand that Chalissery is 10km from Kunnamkulam. It essentially means you are taking mostly the Bangalore-Guruvayoor route. Google map suggested route is via Nilambur. Route is BLR-Mysore-Gundlupet-Gudalur-Nilambur-Wandoor-Perinthalmanna-Pattambi-Chalissery.

Last I heard was road conditions are good. This is a two lane road without dividers, with beautiful ghat section, vistas, lots of twists and curves and goes via Bandipur and Mudumalai WLS. Refer this thread, it is mentioned somewhere that the stretch between Wandoor-Pattambi has issues.

Other option of NH7-NH47 combo (BLR-Salem-Palakkad-Shoranur-Pattambi-Chalissery) might be faster as the only stretch that has problems is after Palakkad on NH47. This route will be more predictable, with less unforeseen road conditions.
Old 24th October 2010, 19:01   #1790
Senior - BHPian

joecherian : The Salem - Palakkad route is better. After Palakkad take the Ottappalam Shoranur road and not NH47. Details few pages back in this thread itself

Last edited by mallumowgli : 24th October 2010 at 19:03.
Old 26th October 2010, 07:38   #1791
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine intents to travel from TVM-Chennai this weekend on the usual NH7-NH45 route. However, he's taking a deviation at Madurai towards Dindigul & then joining Trichy.

All Roads to Kerala-p1.jpg

Any help on the Madurai-Dindigul-Trichy road is highly appreciated. BTW, they're on 2 wheels.
Old 26th October 2010, 08:50   #1792
BHPian

friends are planing to travel from Bangalore to Kerala (Trivandrum)
The Roads from palghat to Angamali is pretty bad esp after the recent rain.
They have to touch Aluva, Thiruvalla & Chengannur, to visit family. (aluva can also be avoided if there is a better route)

What are their best options. a longer route is not so much an issue. Good Road and fairly good scenery is all that matters.

Please suggest.
Old 26th October 2010, 09:09   #1793
Team-BHP Support

I think Dindigul-Trichy NH45 is also well maintained. So no issues there.

@Johnda, If its TVM only, he can take NH7 all the way from Bangalore and go to Nagarcoil.

Last edited by ampere : 26th October 2010 at 09:11.
Old 26th October 2010, 09:25   #1794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
friends are planing to travel from Bangalore to Kerala (Trivandrum)
The Roads from palghat to Angamali is pretty bad esp after the recent rain.
They have to touch Aluva, Thiruvalla & Chengannur, to visit family. (aluva can also be avoided if there is a better route)

What are their best options. a longer route is not so much an issue. Good Road and fairly good scenery is all that matters.

Please suggest.
Best route from BLR to TVM in terms of road quality, average speed is via Nagercoil. See this thread.

But if they have to touch Aluva, Thiruvalla, Chengannur, then NH47-MC Road combo has to be taken. If Aluva is optional and is taken out, then NH7 till Dindigul, diversion to Theni-kumbam-Kumily-Kottayam-Thiruvalla-Chengannur is an option. NH7 is in excellent shape and they will not have issues for atleast half the distance. Note that MC Road between Kottarakkara and Ayur has some issues, so route to TVM is not that smooth either.

EDIT - I missed the point on scenery. Well, on NH7, one hardly gets any scenery. Ghat sections are very less. Whereas the option via Theni will be better.

Just remembered another option. Via Valparai to reach Chalakudy.

BTW, which vehicle are they travelling?

Last edited by sbraj : 26th October 2010 at 09:32.
Old 26th October 2010, 09:40   #1795
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi folks,
I will be travelling to Kochi from Bangalore on 31st this month. Its going to be myself, wifey and our 8 month old daughter and most probably in an ANHC.
Our target for the first day/evening is Kochi city itself and the next two days will be spent in Alleppy and Kottayam.
What would be the best suggested route to drive to Kochi considering the present road conditions?
I am OK for a detour ranging from 50-100kms as long as the roads are comparitively good as opposed to the regular/shorter ones. I am also OK with curves/twists and scenic if not a straight road with traffic.
Please suggest.
Old 26th October 2010, 10:07   #1796
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Hi folks,
What would be the best suggested route to drive to Kochi considering the present road conditions?
I am OK for a detour ranging from 50-100kms as long as the roads are comparitively good as opposed to the regular/shorter ones. I am also OK with curves/twists and scenic if not a straight road with traffic.
Please suggest.
I have done Bangalore-Udumalpet-Munnar-Kochi and it was awesome ( scenic, curves/twists ). But I am not sure about the road conditions now
The other option that I would like to try is Bangalore-Theni-Bodi-Munnar-Kochi ( scenic,curves/twists). Again not sure about the road conditions -
Old 26th October 2010, 16:12   #1797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi folks,
I will be travelling to Kochi from Bangalore on 31st this month. Its going to be myself, wifey and our 8 month old daughter and most probably in an ANHC.
Our target for the first day/evening is Kochi city itself and the next two days will be spent in Alleppy and Kottayam.
Please suggest.
The best route should be via Salem-Palakkad-Trichur. As per a friend, Trichur-Palghat section is not in great condition, but manageable.

If you have lot of time, then enjoy a trip to Munnar and then to Kochi, though its a long drive (time wise). Munnar - Kochi is not bad.
Old 26th October 2010, 16:26   #1798
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
The best route should be via Salem-Palakkad-Trichur. As per a friend, Trichur-Palghat section is not in great condition, but manageable.

If you have lot of time, then enjoy a trip to Munnar and then to Kochi, though its a long drive (time wise). Munnar - Kochi is not bad.
Thanks Coolclouds for the advice. We are supposed to check in at Kochi since we are expecting another family driving from Mangalore. We stay here overnight and then proceed to Alleppy and the third night we stay at Kottayam.

How long would be this distance from the regular route?
Old 26th October 2010, 17:03   #1799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Coolclouds for the advice. We are supposed to check in at Kochi since we are expecting another family driving from Mangalore. We stay here overnight and then proceed to Alleppy and the third night we stay at Kottayam.

How long would be this distance from the regular route?
As per below link, Electronic city to Munnar is 445 kms and you should add 125-135 kms for Munnar-Kochi. It should be some 50-60kms extra compared to regular NH47 but you will require more time due to scenic/twisted route through tea garden.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...r-route-6.html

Last edited by coolclouds : 26th October 2010 at 17:07.
Old 26th October 2010, 18:48   #1800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think Dindigul-Trichy NH45 is also well maintained. So no issues there.
But @Ampere sir, are you sure? They're riding a Ninja & wouldn't like any surprises. Even a gutter or newly laid tar is sufficient to conk off the radiator grill. Not that I doubt your reply, but little apprehensive that, if something conks off, the nearest PBK would take days to push. Some concrete info is highly appreciated. Tks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks