Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2010, 13:57   #1816
BHPian

Hi,

Planning to drive down bekal via bangalore -> sbelagola -> sakleshpur (NH48) -> Mani (left at this junction per google maps) -> Bekal and back to bangalore via madikeri -> mysore.

Totally sat/sun/mon, and possibly extending to tue, but hopefully not.

Hows the condition of the route and do i need to be aware of any gotchas?. Alternative routes?. Suggestions?.

How about pointers for staying in hassan/sakleshpur/bekal?.

thanks folks!!

Last edited by avasekeh : 28th October 2010 at 14:00. Reason: Edition
Old 28th October 2010, 14:03   #1817
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avasekeh View Post
Hi,

Planning to drive down bekal via bangalore -> sbelagola -> sakleshpur (NH48) -> Mani (left at this junction per google maps) -> Bekal and back to bangalore via madikeri -> mysore.

Totally sat/sun/mon, and possibly extending to tue, but hopefully not.

Hows the condition of the route and do i need to be aware of any gotchas?. Alternative routes?. Suggestions?.

How about pointers for staying in hassan/sakleshpur/bekal?.

thanks folks!!

Please confirm if the Madekeri-Sulya road is being closed. Not sure of the current status. As per what was mentioned, since Nov 1 it would be closed.
Old 28th October 2010, 15:30   #1818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If its Kottayam, why not take the Theni route. Much-much better.
I heard horror stories about Palakkad - trissur stretch, not sure how better it is now! But chances are I have to drive alone and Theni route is quite deserted in night and less road support incase of any issues. Also Theni route adds up about 50KMs extra with some extra time.

BTW recently I came via that route, 90% beautiful road.
Old 28th October 2010, 15:39   #1819
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
I heard horror stories about Palakkad - trissur stretch, not sure how better it is now! But chances are I have to drive alone and Theni route is quite deserted in night and less road support incase of any issues. Also Theni route adds up about 50KMs extra with some extra time.

BTW recently I came via that route, 90% beautiful road.
I did not realize you will drive at night. Yes its kind of desolate. But for day time drives to Kottayam/Kumarakom, its the perfect route!
Old 28th October 2010, 17:28   #1820
BHPian

Hi Guys

I am planning a drive from Bangalore (starting from Jalahalli) to telicherry on the 10 of Nov.

Pls suggest the best route in terms of road quality. The usual route i take is nice road-mysore road-mysore-bandipur-mananthavadi and so on.

Any recent updates on the road quality on this route?

CHeers
Subs
Old 28th October 2010, 17:45   #1821
BHPian

I will be travelling from Bangalore to Trivandrum (via NH7) next week. While returning I wanted to take the NH208 - basically to see Kutralam falls.

Google Maps shows this as the default route for the return journey. How good is the road condition?
Old 28th October 2010, 21:53   #1822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subs View Post
Hi Guys

I am planning a drive from Bangalore (starting from Jalahalli) to telicherry on the 10 of Nov.

Pls suggest the best route in terms of road quality. The usual route i take is nice road-mysore road-mysore-bandipur-mananthavadi and so on.

Any recent updates on the road quality on this route?

CHeers
Subs
1. Telichery - Koothuparamba - Nedumpoyil-Manathawadi - Bavali-HD Kote- Mysore - Bangalore.
The bad stretches are between Koothuparamba and Nedumpoyil and at the exit of Nagarhole Park. But this road is closed between 6pm to 6am through the national park

2. Telichery - Koothuparamba - Mattanur - Iritty - Makkutta - Gonikkuppa - Hunsur - Yelwala - Bilikere- Srirangapatna - Bangalore

Bad stretches are between Mattannur - Iritty, Koottupuzha bridge to Makutta CP, Perumpadi CP to Hunsur main road.

Both the routes are drivable in any car.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 29th October 2010, 11:37   #1823
BHPian

Yesterday I had a drive from Bangalore to Ernakulam. Palakkad-Trichur NH47 section has become worst now... only the first half of the stretch (from Palakkad) was little ok. Will be taking alternate route (Shornur) on my return.

Last edited by Twiny : 29th October 2010 at 11:56.
Old 29th October 2010, 12:28   #1824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
Yesterday I had a drive from Bangalore to Ernakulam. Palakkad-Trichur NH47 section has become worst now... only the first half of the stretch (from Palakkad) was little ok. Will be taking alternate route (Shornur) on my return.

I would be driving from Vaikom to Bangalore on November 7th. Would be helpful if you could post the details of the alternate route.

Thanks in Advance.
Old 29th October 2010, 13:02   #1825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I would be driving from Vaikom to Bangalore on November 7th. Would be helpful if you could post the details of the alternate route.

Thanks in Advance.
please see this and the followup posts.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2073471
Old 29th October 2010, 13:11   #1826
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Thanks in Advance.
Best Route: (NH220/NH45/NH7)

Valikom-Kumarakom-Kottayam-Kanjirappaly-Kumily-Theni-Dindigul-Salem-Krishnagiri-BLR
Old 29th October 2010, 13:22   #1827
Senior - BHPian

The route that you mentioned very much longer than the NH47 route.
Vaikom Kumily itself would be 100+ KMS. Also there are very bad sections between Vaikom and Kumarakom. The road was dug up for Japan Drinking water scheme and has not been repaired for more than 6 months now.

I was asking about the Shornur-Wadakkanchery-Kolappuli-Palakkad route.
I had taken this route in September 2007 when the Palakkad thrissur stretch was horrible.
Old 29th October 2010, 13:50   #1828
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The route that you mentioned very much longer than the NH47 route.
Vaikom Kumily itself would be 100+ KMS. Also there are very bad sections between Vaikom and Kumarakom. The road was dug up for Japan Drinking water scheme and has not been repaired for more than 6 months now.

I was asking about the Shornur-Wadakkanchery-Kolappuli-Palakkad route.
I had taken this route in September 2007 when the Palakkad thrissur stretch was horrible.
I think its about 70Km more (570 versus 640 as per Google maps). But if you get good roads all the way (except as you say Vaikom-Kumarakom), I think it is still worth while.

That is why I always maintained, if one has to drive to Vaikom/Kumarakom, it may be a good option. But if its Cochin, the detour is too much.

Trichur
Bengaluru, Karnataka 560001 to Vaikom, Kerala - Google Maps

Theni:
Bengaluru, Karnataka 560001 to Vaikom, Kerala - Google Maps
Old 29th October 2010, 15:04   #1829
Senior - BHPian

The shorter route to Kanjirappally from Vaikom is
Vaikom - Thalayolaparambu - Kaduthuruthy - Njeezhoor- Kuravalangad - Marangattupally- Pala - Kanjirapally.

But the Vaikom - Thalayolaparambu road is also not motorable as it was dug up for Japan drinking water scheme.
Old 1st November 2010, 14:54   #1830
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in Advance.
Thrissur(Mannuthy)-Vadakkanchery-Shornur-Kulapully(41km)--Ottapalam-Palakkad.

NH47 Thrissur(Mannuthy Bypass Jn) to Palakkad Bypass Jn is 59km in my car.
The same via Shornur route is 88km. That means Shornur route is longer by ~29km.

Though there were big gutters in Ottapalam town, Kulapully-Palakkad stretch was very nice to drive. Considering the current NH47 state/drive in peak hours and raining condition, not regretting the additional distance traveled.

Last edited by Twiny : 1st November 2010 at 14:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks