Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2010, 18:26   #1876
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

I am planning a drive to Kerala via the following route. I am a regular on this route, but its been nearly an year since I did this route.

Any idea on the road conditions would help! I am planning my drive towards Christmas time!

Chennai - Tindivanam - Trichy - Dindugal - Theni - Kumily - Erumely - Ranni - Kozhencherry

I am specifically worried about the stretch between Trichy-Dindugal and also the condition in Kerala from Kumily.
Old 25th November 2010, 21:41   #1877
Senior - BHPian

Trichy-Dindigul is doable, although there are diversions thanks to construction. No serious problems.
Climb up the ghats to Kumili is very bad, but that is only a few kms.
But teh worst route will be Kanjirapalli/Mundakayam to Ranni - roads are in bad shape.
And be prepared for some mad traffic of Sabarimala pilgrims.
Old 26th November 2010, 09:47   #1878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Folks,

I am planning a drive to Kerala via the following route. I am a regular on this route, but its been nearly an year since I did this route.

Any idea on the road conditions would help! I am planning my drive towards Christmas time!

Chennai - Tindivanam - Trichy - Dindugal - Theni - Kumily - Erumely - Ranni - Kozhencherry

I am specifically worried about the stretch between Trichy-Dindugal and also the condition in Kerala from Kumily.
Trichy - Dindigul is in a very decent state. Construction is going on in several places so there are lane changes, but apart from that no issues at all.
Old 26th November 2010, 11:27   #1879
Senior - BHPian

Thanks HVK & SVK

I thought the road work would have been completed by now!

The Sabarimala traffic is going to be something. Last year, the traffic was blocked at the Kumily checkpost for close to 2 hours in the midnight!
Old 26th November 2010, 11:35   #1880
BHPian

There are reports of heavy rain in and around Madurai,Dindigul area.
So check for latest road conditions.
Old 26th November 2010, 13:59   #1881
BHPian

Trip to Sabarimala

Hi Guys,
Planning to visit sabarimala from bangalore early next month for the first time. Also this would be our first long trip in my contessa,
I have been planning to take Hosur - > salem -> Dhindugal -> sabrimala route, my friends have been insisting via Mysore -> Bandipur - > Nilambur - > thrissur route as to avoid toll boths and also distance is less. How is the route via mysore and about road conditions? is this route preferable?
I am of two minds whether to drive in my contessa or instead book some other car.. please guide me.
Thanks in advance.
Old 26th November 2010, 16:55   #1882
BHPian

Are you planning directly to Sabarimala? Or en-route temples like Guruvayur etc. ? It takes about 7 to 8 hours to reach Thrissur through Nilambur route and that is fairly predictable (good roads, less traffic etc.). Beyond Thrissur is a bit unpredictable due to intermittant rains, Kerala traffic(if you are on peak-hours passing towns), 4-laning work till Angamaly and usual Sabarimala traffic in the last stretch of your journey on this route.
Old 26th November 2010, 18:31   #1883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudhindra View Post
Hi Guys,
Planning to visit sabarimala from bangalore early next month for the first time. Also this would be our first long trip in my contessa,
I have been planning to take Hosur - > salem -> Dhindugal -> sabrimala route, my friends have been insisting via Mysore -> Bandipur - > Nilambur - > thrissur route as to avoid toll boths and also distance is less. How is the route via mysore and about road conditions? is this route preferable?
I am of two minds whether to drive in my contessa or instead book some other car.. please guide me.
Thanks in advance.
Whichever route you take, I would suggest you book another car, especially since this being your first trip and also the fact that you have to do a lot of driving in not so perfect road condition.

I don't know the route for the last stretch from Dindigul to Sabarimala, but this route would be much faster and easier to do than the Nilambur one even though the latter is marginally shorter.

Last edited by sbkumar : 26th November 2010 at 18:32.
Old 26th November 2010, 19:11   #1884
BHPian

Bangalore->Dindigul : Approx 375 kms
Dindigul->Theni->Kumily->Kanjirapalli->Sabarimala : Approx 275 kms
TOTAL => 650 kms

Bangalore->Mysore->Nilambur->Trichur : Approx 400 kms
Trichur->Angamaly->Sabarimala : Approx 200 kms
TOTAL => 600 kms
Old 28th November 2010, 11:03   #1885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How is the route via mysore and about road conditions? is this route preferable?
BLR-MYS-Gudalur-Nilambur stretch is good as per latest updates, though Mysore-Nanjangud stretch is rough.

Quote:
Roads in the forest section near Sabarimala are usually rough most of the times. I guess that would be the case of Erumely-Pampa stretch as well. Comparitively, Ranni-Laha-Pampa stretch may be better, though slightly more distance. My suggestion would be rent a car with decent ground clearance.
Old 29th November 2010, 10:26   #1886
BHPian

@Ajithbr,sbraj & sbkumar: Thanks all for your replies. Based on your replies i have altered my plans. Let me know if its right or please give if any more suggestions.

The plan is as follows:
Bangalore - > Mysore--> Nanjangud(will halt here for visit) - > Thirssur(Night Halt) --> Sabarimala --> Chottanikara--> Guruvayur--> bangalore.

Although we have been to trips in our conty,even in ghat sections, this is our first trip to Sabarimala (infact kerala) which is a long one, so had doubts about kerala region. Option of booking another car is ruled out by my friends and they are stuck behind going in my conty as our previous attempt to go to kerla was spoiled by adamant tourist cab driver(long story). To cut short, we are 5 members going including me and 4 of them can drive.

Regards,

Last edited by Sudhindra : 29th November 2010 at 10:33. Reason: Information to be added
Old 29th November 2010, 10:43   #1887
Senior - BHPian

@Sudhindra - If you've any questions on Sabarimala route, pls let me know. Also I think the route will be better if you do Thrissur - Guruvayur - Sabarimala - Chottanikara - Bangalore. Reason?

Guruvayur is close proximity to Thrissur & Chottanikara is enroute from Sabarimala towards BLR. So you can take Sabarimala - Chottanikara - Ernakulam - Thrissur - Palakkad - Coimbatore - BLR.

If you need any info on Sabarimala, pls see my travelogue on
Old 29th November 2010, 11:14   #1888
Senior - BHPian

in my return trip from Thrissur last week, i was planning to take the Thrissur>>Nilambur>>Mysore>>Bangalore after being fed up with bad state of Palakkad-Thrissur NH47.But a drive of around 10 km near Pattambi made me alter my plans and took NH47 again instead. The road was so bad and I was was scared of what lies ahead after Pattambi towards Nilambur. Even Pattambi> Kulappuly stretch is horribly bad. After that till Palakkad it is a breeze. Rains can damage Kerala roads in no time. Thrissur> Shoranur>Kulappully>Palakkad will be a better alternative. Also Mysore> Nanjangud>Bandipur stretch is in very bad shape it seems. So be prepared for a bone jarring ride.

Last edited by poloman : 29th November 2010 at 11:19.
Old 29th November 2010, 11:25   #1889
BHPian

@aargee & poloman: So you guys suggest NH highway instead of state highways?
The route which i had mentioned earlier is around 1250Kms, mostly all are on state highways.
Old 29th November 2010, 11:42   #1890
Senior - BHPian

@Sudhindra - Keeping my answer simple, take the SH if you love the scenics & breezy drive at the cost of time; use the NH to enjoy high speed driving & save time. I strongly vouch @Poloman's route on Thrissur - Palakkad.

Last edited by aargee : 29th November 2010 at 11:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks