Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2010, 11:45   #1891
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Sudhindra - If you've any questions on Sabarimala route, pls let me know. Also I think the route will be better if you do Thrissur - Guruvayur - Sabarimala - Chottanikara - Bangalore. Reason?

Guruvayur is close proximity to Thrissur & Chottanikara is enroute from Sabarimala towards BLR. So you can take Sabarimala - Chottanikara - Ernakulam - Thrissur - Palakkad - Coimbatore - BLR.

If you need any info on Sabarimala, pls see my travelogue on
Chottanikkara & Vaikom temples can be visited on the way to Sabarimala without much deviation. You may try Trichur/Guruvayur-Kalamassery-Chottanikkara-Vaikom-Kottayam-Sabarimala while going and take Dindigul route while returning.
Old 29th November 2010, 11:53   #1892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Chottanikkara & Vaikom temples can be visited on the way to Sabarimala without much deviation. You may try Trichur/Guruvayur-Kalamassery-Chottanikkara-Vaikom-Kottayam-Sabarimala while going and take Dindigul route while returning.

Chottanikkara, Vaikom, Kaduthuruthy, Ettumanoor, Erumely can be covered on the way without deviations.
Old 29th November 2010, 11:57   #1893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Chottanikkara & Vaikom temples...Dindigul route while returning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Chottanikkara, Vaikom, Kaduthuruthy, Ettumanoor, Erumely can be covered on the way without deviations.
Yes, they can be done without deviations, but to take darshan on the temples, one has to stick to strict timings; I've done all the temples & have posted in my trip log in the above links.

Though we gave an ample time, I wasn't (but others were) luck enough to get darshan at Chottanikara temple. One should have an excellent knowledge on route (I'd my cousin with me) & good knowledge on the timings are every temple.
Old 29th November 2010, 12:57   #1894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudhindra View Post
@Ajithbr,sbraj & sbkumar: Thanks all for your replies. Based on your replies i have altered my plans. Let me know if its right or please give if any more suggestions.

The plan is as follows:
Bangalore - > Mysore--> Nanjangud(will halt here for visit) - > Thirssur(Night Halt) --> Sabarimala --> Chottanikara--> Guruvayur--> bangalore.

Although we have been to trips in our conty,even in ghat sections, this is our first trip to Sabarimala (infact kerala) which is a long one, so had doubts about kerala region. Option of booking another car is ruled out by my friends and they are stuck behind going in my conty as our previous attempt to go to kerla was spoiled by adamant tourist cab driver(long story). To cut short, we are 5 members going including me and 4 of them can drive.

Regards,
@Sudhindra,
It's good that four of you can drive. But please do keep in mind the fatigue factor. The climb up to the temple from Pamba and down back to Pamba will be a tough one especially for those who are doing it the first time. And also the wait time in the queue. Please plan for proper rest in your itinerary.

Apart from that, as others have mentioned it's a question of time and ease of drive vs scenery. The NH ( cbe route as well as dindigul route) will save a lot of time and energy. Have a safe trip !
Old 29th November 2010, 13:50   #1895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
It's good that four of you can drive. But please do keep in mind the fatigue factor. The climb up to the temple from Pamba and down back to Pamba will be a tough one especially for those who are doing it the first time. And also the wait time in the queue. Please plan for proper rest in your itinerary.
Though I've thought this before, I didn't post with the idea of not setting you aback!!!

I strongly agree with sbkumar for two facts...
1. Its very very tiring to drive once you're back after darshan for the fact, one would've walked almost 4 Kms down hill (even if one wore slippers) on the hill.
2. It seriously has lot of twists that one would go crazy. Its not that it cannot be done, but take necessary precautions that one has to do it after descending the hills.

Also remember, you're going to do it during the peak season @ Sabarimala. Last time when we did during August, it was less crowded & we had our darshan in about 30 minutes. So it GREATLY depends on what time you reach Sabarimala & descend. (Pls check my thread on timings)

Once again, not that I'm discouraging you, but trying to put a strong word of caution. Also remember, during the peak time, one will get a parking lot nothing closer to 2-3 Kms. So you might've to walk from the parking lot back & forth excluding the hills unless you hire a driver.
Old 29th November 2010, 21:01   #1896
BHPian

@aargee & sbkumar: I have to agree with you guys on this. Especially the fatigue factor.

After thorough discussion based on your inputs, we have come with one more alternate plan. Let me know if this right

Will leave bangalore at 11:00am and directly reach Guruvayur via kozhikode and halt there, expected to make it in 12 hours. I guess this route is better than that of Nilambur--> Thrissur-->> guruvayur. correct me if i am wrong here.
Leave Guruvayur next morning, head directly towards erumely and further to sabarimala and take rest. Next day upon our darshan at sabarimala which is expected to complete by noon/evening, return back to chottanikara for night pooja(night halt). Next day, visit anything around and head back to bangalore via kochi.
If it gets delayed at sabarimala, reach dhindigul and then bangalore.
Old 29th November 2010, 21:15   #1897
BHPian

Best route would be Bangalore(0 kms)->Gundulpet(200 kms)->Gudalur(250 kms)->Nilambur(300 kms)->Perinthalmanna(355 kms)->Guruvayur(410 kms). Expect bad roads in Perinthalmanna->Pattambi->Perumpilavu stretch after the rains. From Nilambur, take the left turn 1 km before town (near a petrol bunk on the left side) while going from Bangalore, and go via Kalikavu->Karuvarakundu->Melattur->Perinthalmanna to avoid private bus routes as well as jeep traffic at times. Just add about 5 kms to your distance but saves approx 15 minutes usually.
Old 30th November 2010, 15:42   #1898
BHPian

To avoid bad roads near Pattambi, you can follow the route here in the reverse order:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...guruvayur.html

From edapal to Guruvayur, it is supposed to be a good and wide road. And either route, Thrissur and Guruvayur are on parallel routes which means that for going to one place, you dont have to touch the other.
Old 1st December 2010, 12:06   #1899
BHPian

Went to Palani last week via Palakkad. Route : Bangalore – Salem – Coimbatore-Palakkad – Pollachi- Udumalpet – Palani. Roads were good except the Avinashi stretch and Palakkad – Pollachi stretch.
Planning to go to Calicut on 24th on this month. I hope the Thamarassery Ghat section and Mysore Gundapet sections will okay. I don’t want my Indica to eat those dangerous path holes since it’s a fully packed (5 Adults + 1 Kid) trip and Indica’s rim tends to bend easily due to its body weight.
Old 1st December 2010, 14:54   #1900
BHPian

Chopper. A little more about the Avinashi stretch would help. Did you see any activity of 4-Laning there? Construction equipment/people/etc. How many diversions? Did it slow you down? How much time to cover that 40 km? What time of the day? Answers to all these on both your up and down trips are expected. Thanks. I am planning to go next weekend.
Old 1st December 2010, 15:23   #1901
BHPian

I did see some construction activities there, and they were kind of constructing the pillars, filling the sand etc. There are around 5 small diversions. It did not slow me much and I was able to cover that stretch in 45 min. I crossed that part around 11 am.
Old 1st December 2010, 18:49   #1902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudhindra View Post
Will leave bangalore at 11:00am and directly reach Guruvayur via kozhikode and halt there, expected to make it in 12 hours. I guess this route is better than that of Nilambur--> Thrissur-->> guruvayur. correct me if i am wrong here.
Leave Guruvayur next morning, head directly towards erumely and further to sabarimala and take rest. Next day upon our darshan at sabarimala which is expected to complete by noon/evening, return back to chottanikara for night pooja(night halt). Next day, visit anything around and head back to bangalore via kochi.
If it gets delayed at sabarimala, reach dhindigul and then bangalore.
I'd suggest covering Chottanikkara on the outbound itself.

If you can start from Guruvayur by around 6.30~7 in the morning, you can conveniently reach Chottanikkara in 3~3.5 hours.

This is the official website of Chottanikkara temple. The temple closes at 12.10pm. By visiting Chottanikkara on the outbound, you'd break the monotony of driving by getting a bit of break as well. The route to take here is Guruvayur-Triprayar-Kodungallur-Parur-Aluva-Kalamassery-Airport Seaport Road-Irumbanam-Chottanikkara. The distance is 101 kms - However, expect to take 3-3.5 hrs to cover this distance (depending on traffic, and your driving style). Typically, it takes 65~80 minutes for Guruvayur-Kodungallur, 25-30 minutes for Kodungallur-Parur (A distance of just 12 kms!!! But roads are not great - its not great anywhere in Kerala). Another 30 mins for Parur-Aluva bypass. It should take about 45-50 minutes for Aluva bypass - Chottanikkara. This is a Google Maps tracing for the route I mentioned.

From Chottanikkara, take the Mulanthuruthy-Thalayolaparambu-Ettumanoor-Pala-Ponkunnam-Erumely Route. (You can avoid Ettumanoor, by going through Kuravilangad - but not sure of road conditions). You can reach Erumely in about 3 hours from Chottanikkara (depending on traffic - remember this route is part of the regular pilgrim traffic). This is the Google Map tracing for this route. Total distance is 96.3 kms.

Erumely-Pamba is only a shade over 50kms - but expect to take anywhere between 2-5 hours to cover this stretch - the best route here is via Pamba Valley-Thulapally. The last stretch - Nilackel to Pamba would take ages to cover (according to the info I get from a couple of people who went recently) - alternatively, you can leave your car at Nilackel Parking, and take one of those KSRTC Shuttle buses, which will drop you right upto Pamba.

Since its gonna be your first visit, and during the peak season - ensure that all of you rotate drive, and ensure adequate rest. By visiting the temples on your visit to Sabarimala, I feel you get more breaks and get adequate rest before you set foot on the last 6 kms of trek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Sudhindra - Keeping my answer simple, take the SH if you love the scenics & breezy drive at the cost of time; use the NH to enjoy high speed driving & save time. I strongly vouch @Poloman's route on Thrissur - Palakkad.
I disagree with you completely. In case of Kerala, State Highways are often in better condition than National Highways. Sample is the case of SH1 (MC Road), compare it with NH47. SH1 is miles ahead of the NH47 in terms of road quality.
Old 1st December 2010, 19:07   #1903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
The last stretch - Nilackel to Pamba would take ages to cover (according to the info I get from a couple of people who went recently) - alternatively, you can leave your car at Nilackel Parking, and take one of those KSRTC Shuttle buses, which will drop you right upto Pamba.
Isn't it mandatory for private vehicles to be parked near Nilackel? Even if one takes the car till Pamba to drop the passengers, one has to come back to park at Nilackel, right?
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:37   #1904
BHPian

Thanks to all you guys for giving me your suggestions.
I am leaving on Dec 9th morning by 11:00am, but from past two days going through lots of confusion on the plannings like , how to reach? where to reach first? among others by taking lots of facts(fatigue factor, my friends driving capability etc) into considerations.
As per my earlier plans, if i leave on 9th(thursday), cover up places like guruvayur etc and reach sabarimala on 10th evening/11th early morning, there could be a possibility of more weekend rush at sabarimala and it will void our need for leaving on thursday (we are leaving this day to avoid mad rush). Our main focus is on Sabarimala.
Two of my other friends who visited on Nov 28th reported that during weekends(Especially friday evening onwards), rush is more and also the queue. The darshan time took more than 8 hours.

So, thinking of leaving on Dec 9th as scheduled and directly reach erumeley on 10th morning via Hosur-> salem route, finish darshan at sabarimala first and then think of covering other temples enroute.
My friends driving are not that great when it comes to ghat sections, they can drive comfortably on highways. So thinking of driving from theni onwards at night.. what you guys say??
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:57   #1905
BHPian

Perfect. 700 km odd. Do it yourself. Start at 5 am. You are definitely there comfortably late afternoon with breaks and some nice hill driving in broad day light. Do the top priority thing first. On your way back do Guruvayur and if you are exhausted by then, take the Coimbatore exit to Bangalore. If you are still enthu do some more Malappuram roller-coaster-driving to take the Nilambur exit, more enthu take Thamarassery exit, still more - take the Iritty one.

Most Viewed