Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2010, 15:14   #1921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
I am planning a trip to Guruvayur end of december and planning to return back to BLR via this route :

Guruvayur - Kunnamkulam - Perumpilavu - Kootanad - Pattambi - Perintalmanna- Pattikkad- Melattur - Kallikavu - Nilambur - Edakkara -Vazhikadavu -Gudalur - Bandipur - Gundlupet - Nanjangud - Mysore - BLR.

Please let me know if the above route is correct ( noted as per Googlemaps)
Roads between Pattambi and Nilambur is in bad shape. I'd instead suggest Pattambi-Ottapalam-Palakkad-Walayar-CBE-Perundurai-Salem bypass-Hosur. However, if you are particular to taking that Ghat route, better take Guruvayur-Kunnamkulam-Edappal-Malappuram-Majeri-Nilambur route. That road is better.

Some sections of Perinthalmanna-Nilambur was in horrible shape when I went through the section in July this year - I expect the section to have deteriorated more now.
Old 4th December 2010, 23:40   #1922
BHPian

Thanks a ton guys. Will wait and watch further reports on the Nilambur route. Maybe will decide on the return route from GVR to BLR only when i will start from GVR.
Old 7th December 2010, 10:37   #1923
BHPian

It looks like, people liked the idea of this thread. How do we take it forward? I would not want to split into 50 odd links listed at the start of this thread. It would be an overkill. Can we split the "Current Road Conditions into Kerala" (a great thread but everything is put into the mix and difficult to sieve through what one wants) into atleast three?

Karnataka-Malabar.
Coimbatore-Palakkad/Kochi/Malabar.
SouthTN-Kochi/Trivandrum.

Any thoughts? If so, we will ask the moderators to create it. I can parse the contents of the other thread and put them into these 3 categories and we can put it back in. We need a moderator for Kerala roads
Old 7th December 2010, 11:53   #1924
BHPian

I need help on crossing alapuzha.
I will be coming from Ernakulam side and would want to go to Chenganacherry road. Mapmyindia suggests Bypass and google maps suggest through the town.

Is the bypass fully ready? So far whenever I crossed alapuzha, I have taken a wrong turn and ended up in heavily conjested narrow street roads .
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-alapuzha.jpg  

Old 7th December 2010, 12:10   #1925
BHPian

ROAD CONDITION: Trichur to Bangalore

Thrissur to Palakad (the worst stretch)

Started at 0330hrs to avoid traffic but was greeted by heavy vehicles who were an inch behind each other. Over taking was a not an option. The bad stretch actually commences at Pattikad (20kms from Thrissur). ‘Huge double scoops taken of an ice-cream’ was the state of the road. Oh yes! There is a road but u have inch pretty carefully. I would suggest people who are not used to weaving through potholes at night…avoid night travel through this stretch…also the ones who find it difficult with high beamer. There are a lot of Volvo coaches rushing to their destination/s….and believe me, they drive like it’s a one way. So please let go of your ego…for this one minute.

Palakad to Avinashi (freedom stretch)

Once in tamil nadu roads slash a smile on your face. Though this is a two-lane road, it’s a relief for the cars. Just make sure u don’t stick too close to the edge of the road on your side as at many places the road has caved-in. post your Coimbatore by-pass, it’s the four lane diversions that stress you out again (night drive). The diversion reflectors are covered with muck hence no reflection. U might want to maintain your speed…under 60kms.

Avinash to Bangalore (Blissful stretch)

Great highway…just got to watch out for the TVS-50s doing their U-turn and sudden lane jumping. Highway doesn’t not mean my way

Hope this helps the guyz who are doing this route. Let me know if have any questions

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th December 2010 at 12:22. Reason: Please use Search and continue in an existing thread. thanks
Old 7th December 2010, 16:39   #1926
Senior - BHPian

Presently the best route to take from Thrissur to Palakkad is via Wadakancherry-SHoranur-Ottapalam-Palakkad.We took this route a couple of weeks back and the roads are excellent,as compared to the craeters on NH47.Local cab drivers and some of the volvos from EKM to Blore are also taking this route now a days.

I dont expect the NH47 to improve any time soon because 4 laning
efforts have begun between Vadakkencherry and Pattikad!
Old 7th December 2010, 17:24   #1927
Senior - BHPian

Trichur-Angamaly also not in good shape except for 4 lane completed stretches. Most of the junctions are in worse condition.
Old 8th December 2010, 12:21   #1928
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Presently the best route to take from Thrissur to Palakkad is via Wadakancherry-SHoranur-Ottapalam-Palakkad.We took this route a couple of weeks back and the roads are excellent,as compared to the craeters on NH47.Local cab drivers and some of the volvos from EKM to Blore are also taking this route now a days.

I dont expect the NH47 to improve any time soon because 4 laning
efforts have begun between Vadakkencherry and Pattikad!
The Wadakkanchery-Shoranur alternate adds nearly 20km to the Trichur -Palakkad distance. Not worth it particularly if you are going beyond Trichur to EKM etc since the above road takes you into TCR town whereas NH47 touches the bypass directly. NH47 has only bad surface from just before Alathur to Pattikkad. And there are occassional craters but these can be negotiated. Yesterday I covered this distance in just about 1hr 15 mins, whereas 2 weeks back it took me nearly 2 hours via the Shornur road - both drive done early morning between 6 and 8 am. I love driving the Ottappalam stretch but in terms of commuting NH47 is better
Old 8th December 2010, 19:06   #1929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_breathing View Post
I need help on crossing alapuzha.
I will be coming from Ernakulam side and would want to go to Chenganacherry road. Mapmyindia suggests Bypass and google maps suggest through the town.

Is the bypass fully ready? So far whenever I crossed alapuzha, I have taken a wrong turn and ended up in heavily conjested narrow street roads .
I don't think the bypass is ready. You would have to take the city roads, cross and further divert to left to Changanassery road.
Old 8th December 2010, 20:44   #1930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
And there are occassional craters but these can be negotiated. Yesterday I covered this distance in just about 1hr 15 mins, whereas 2 weeks back it took me nearly 2 hours via the Shornur road - both drive done early morning between 6 and 8 am. I love driving the Ottappalam stretch but in terms of commuting NH47 is better
Have they started any repair work ?
Old 8th December 2010, 23:20   #1931
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
I don't think the bypass is ready. You would have to take the city roads, cross and further divert to left to Changanassery road.
There is no bypass for Alapuzha town.
However, there is a parallel road which trucks take to avoid the more congested NH47 that cuts straight through town till the "iron bridge" across the backwaters (where you take a turn to the left when you are coming from the south side).
There are clear signages indicating Kochi or Trivandrum, depending on which direction you are going.
The SH11 to Chnaganasery is 3 kms south after crossing the iron bridge at at the locality called Kalrcode where you can see a Honda scooter dealership and SBT ATM for identification (and also a small signboard).
Old 9th December 2010, 10:16   #1932
BHPian

Thanks hvkumar and sbraj.

One more question. I have to travel from Bangalore to Adoor on 20th Dec. Which is the recommended route based on the current conditions and traffic. (I would be driving during the day)

1. SALEM->CBE->EKM->Alapuzha -> Adoor
2. SALEM->Dindigul-> Kumily-> Adoor.

I have traveled many times on route 1 but never by route 2.

TIA, M_B
Old 9th December 2010, 10:35   #1933
Team-BHP Support

Anything south of NH220, its better to go via Theni/Kumily.
I would say take the second option.
Old 9th December 2010, 11:14   #1934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Anything south of NH220, its better to go via Theni/Kumily.
I would say take the second option.
I need to attend a marriage at Palai on 27th Dec. What would be the best way to return to Bangalore? I am used to Palghat route but no idea about Dindigul route. Please advise route and road conditions.
Old 9th December 2010, 14:15   #1935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_breathing View Post

1. SALEM->CBE->EKM->Alapuzha -> Adoor
2. SALEM->Dindigul-> Kumily-> Adoor.

I have traveled many times on route 1 but never by route 2.

TIA, M_B
Anytime the second option seems to be better.
I think one more option is
Dindigul -> Madurai -> Rajapalayam -> Tenkasi -> Punalur -> Pathanapuram -> Adoor. May be some 30-40 km more than Kumily route. But you may get excellent road till Rajapalayam/Tenkasi. But i don't have any idea about Tenkasi -> Punalur route.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks