Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2010, 17:26   #1951
BHPian

Re: Road to Wayanad. And driving time Kollam - Wayanad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Have they done some repairs to the Calicut-Kalpetta road ? When I travelled that way 2 weeks ago (Nov 27th) the ghat section was pretty horrendous and even on the plains between Adivaram and Calicut one couldn't drive at more than 60kmph or so bacause of the sudden potholes that would popup every now and then. That's the reason I took the Nilambur-Gudalur route on my way back to Bangalore.
They haven’t started the work on Calicut-Kalpetta strech. But I have seen some maintenance activities started on Ghat section.
Old 12th December 2010, 16:06   #1952
Senior - BHPian

Re: Road to Wayanad. And driving time Kollam - Wayanad

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
We are planning a Kollam - Wayanad trip around Xmas. Google maps says it would be 400kms. I doubt the 6-hour driving time they mention though.

How much time would it take, given that I would be driving at not more than 80kmph (new car - break-in period). Do-able in 8 hours or so ?
6 hours is impossible unless you are driving around midnight. It'll easily take around 3-4 hours from Kollam to Ernakulam Bypass depending on the time of run and traffic conditions. Ernakulam to Kozhikode will add another 4-5 hours depending on driving style and traffic conditions. Add another 2 hours for Bathery (again, depending on driving style).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Google maps is suggesting Kodungallor route which is a narrow two lane for most parts till Chavakkad. I think EKM-Thrissur-Guruvayoor-Chavakkad might be faster than Kodungallur route.
Kodungallur to Chettuva is a normal 2-lane road - its of standard width. Chettuva to Chavakkad is horrible - both in terms of width as well as surface quality. After Chavakkad, one can easily take the route via Ponnani, Kuttipuram. This road has very little traffic, and the road condition is okay all the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Last year, it took me 8 hours of driving time to reach Guruvayur from TVM. This was with a 7AM start (via Kodungallur). During day time, it is difficult to reach speeds over 60KMPH on NH47.
I'd suggest the route via Kodungallur any day. The traffic on NH47 is unpredictable these days, and traffic blocks of over 4 hours is not uncommon during vacations. The traffic on NH17 is standard. The section from Ernakulam (Edappally junction) to Parur is in good state. Parur to Kodungallur is narrow, but has been patched up well. Kodungallur to Chettuva is in amazing shape (Kerala standards). At Chavakkad junction, take a left, and keep going to Ponnani. Take the Ponnani "bypass", and go straight to Kuttipuram.

I am not sure of the section beyond Kuttipuram.
Old 12th December 2010, 16:40   #1953
Senior - BHPian

How are the following road conditions these days? Planning a trip to Kerala next week.

1. Kumili to Kottayam (KK Road)
2. Kottayam - Tvm (MC Road)
3. Kottayam - Palakkad (MC Road, NH 47)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Thanks Ampere & Kala !!
I am planning to start from Palai at about 3pm and familiar with Oonnukal-Munnar stretch. How safe is the route beyond Munnar and is there any restrictions for traffic during night?
I would not suggest you going through Munnar unless you plan to visit Munnar or nearby places en-route. Either try the Kumili, Dindigul route or go by the regular MC road, NH-47 route depending on road conditions.

Last edited by mobike008 : 12th December 2010 at 19:29. Reason: back to back posts. Noting 2nd time in last days its happened. Next time will attract infraction.
Old 13th December 2010, 09:32   #1954
BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

have a run down to Ekm this thrusday evening and hence can anyone please update me the road condition from Avinashi - LT bye pass and Palghat - Trichur ? Does it still make sense to take alternate roads to reach EKm (without using NH47 for the palghat - trichur stretch (some where I read some route through shornur)
Old 13th December 2010, 11:22   #1955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
How are the following road conditions these days? Planning a trip to Kerala next week.

1. Kumili to Kottayam (KK Road)
2. Kottayam - Tvm (MC Road)
3. Kottayam - Palakkad (MC Road, NH 47)

I would not suggest you going through Munnar unless you plan to visit Munnar or nearby places en-route. Either try the Kumili, Dindigul route or go by the regular MC road, NH-47 route depending on road conditions.
Kottayam - Palakkad: About 20kms stretch in bad shape remaining can be managed in Palakkad-Trichur stretch. Many broken places at junctions between Trichur & Angamaly. No recent update about Angamaly-Kottayam road.

I am planning Kumili route for a change as I have no plans to visit Munnar.
Thanks,
Old 13th December 2010, 12:46   #1956
BHPian

pollachi-palakkad

Very recently travelled to pallakkad from pollachi via gopalapuram-kanjikode-and reached pallakkad through the RTO office road at Pallakkad. The route is good. Reasonable roads,all are single lane, very less traffic, speed can be at 60-70 kmph beacuse of rash driven buses and opposite on coming buses.
Old 13th December 2010, 13:01   #1957
Senior - BHPian

Re: All routes into Kerala

Any particular reason to come via Kanjikkode? Pollachi-PKD road is pretty straightforward and you can reach BPL Koottupatha without hitting Kanjikkode. Alternate is take left just after kozhinjampara and come via chittur-kodumbu and hit PKD-TCR NH47, cross that and reach PKD town
Old 13th December 2010, 13:12   #1958
BHPian

Re: All routes into Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Any particular reason to come via Kanjikkode? Pollachi-PKD road is pretty straightforward and you can reach BPL Koottupatha without hitting Kanjikkode. Alternate is take left just after kozhinjampara and come via chittur-kodumbu and hit PKD-TCR NH47, cross that and reach PKD town
Well i don't know Malayalam to read.I managed to ask people with known Malayalam and people could talk in Tamil so i was comfortable. I could not read the sign boards beacuse they were hardly seen and if seen too it was in Malayalam. But it was a small strech hardly i think 45-50kms.So no problem even if i had taken a wrong route and travelled a few more kms.
Old 13th December 2010, 13:23   #1959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
have a run down to Ekm this thrusday evening and hence can anyone please update me the road condition from Avinashi - LT bye pass and Palghat - Trichur ? Does it still make sense to take alternate roads to reach EKm (without using NH47 for the palghat - trichur stretch (some where I read some route through shornur)
Avinashi: Just did it this morning on my 3 am to 11 am CBE-Chennai drive. 12 diversions. Manageable. 40 km. Will take an hour if you are doing it 10-ish in the morning.
Old 13th December 2010, 14:31   #1960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Alternatives are (a) Pala-Thodupuzha-Munnar-Theni-Dindigul-Salem-Bangalore.
Hi Kala,

Any idea on the road condition of the above route? I would be travelling in early Jan from Thodupuzha and it would be on the Accent.
Old 13th December 2010, 15:43   #1961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Kottayam - Palakkad: About 20kms stretch in bad shape remaining can be managed in Palakkad-Trichur stretch. Many broken places at junctions between Trichur & Angamaly. No recent update about Angamaly-Kottayam road.

I am planning Kumili route for a change as I have no plans to visit Munnar.
Thanks,
This is bad news for me. I am planning to drive from Munnar to Guruvayur via kalady by end of this month. So, have to take this road and endure the pain.

Any alternative route between Munnar & Guruvayur ? or do we have to go thro' Angamaly?
Old 13th December 2010, 16:56   #1962
BHPian

Help:-Will driving from Bangalore to Munnar via Dindigul on 19 Dec. Stay at Munnar for the night (Second visit-last time vai Cochin -NH 47) and then on to Alleppy-which route?? and how long will it take?
Can I make it in one day from Alleppy to Bangalore-i drive pretty fast but safely??
BHPians-help.
Old 13th December 2010, 18:56   #1963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Hi Kala,

Any idea on the road condition of the above route? I would be travelling in early Jan from Thodupuzha and it would be on the Accent.
(About the Pala-Thodupuzha-Munnar-Theni-Dindigul-Salem-Bangalore route)

Not too sure about the current conditions since I haven't driven that way for quite a while now. Haven't heard any complaints here regarding NH49 for quite some time and Dindigul-Bangalore is reputed to be in great shape. The Thodupuzha-Oonnukal stretch was good till a year ago ,though a little narrow and curvy (that was when I used it last) - can someone who has driven that way recently confirm regarding the current conditions ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
Help:-Will driving from Bangalore to Munnar via Dindigul on 19 Dec. Stay at Munnar for the night (Second visit-last time vai Cochin -NH 47) and then on to Alleppy-which route?? and how long will it take?
Can I make it in one day from Alleppy to Bangalore-i drive pretty fast but safely??
BHPians-help.
The straight-forward route would be Munnar-Cochin on NH-49 (via Kothamangalam-Muvattupuzha), and then to Alleppey on NH-47. One wouldn't need enter Cochin city at all since NH49 joins the NH-47 byepass near Marad and you can take a left turn there towards Alleppey.

I'm not very sure about current road conditions, but when the roads used to be good, it used take approx. 2 hrs 30 minutes between Munnar and Cochin and about an hour between Cochin and Alleppey.

Alleppey to Bangalore should be easily doable in a day even with very sedate driving (Don't think one can drive very fast on national highways in Kerala anyway considering the traffic density )

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 14th December 2010 at 22:49. Reason: Please use the EDIT function instead of posting back-to-back posts within 20 minutes. Thanks.
Old 13th December 2010, 19:33   #1964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
(About the Pala-Thodupuzha-Munnar-Theni-Dindigul-Salem-Bangalore route)

Not too sure about the current conditions since I haven't driven that way for quite a while now. Haven't heard any complaints here regarding NH49 for quite some time and Dindigul-Bangalore is reputed to be in great shape. The Thodupuzha-Oonnukal stretch was good till a year ago ,though a little narrow and curvy (that was when I used it last) - can someone who has driven that way recently confirm regarding the current conditions ?
Thanks Kala, hoping to hear an update from atleast one of the BHPians after this Christmas season .
Old 13th December 2010, 20:28   #1965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
BHPians-help.
With reasonably fast driving, you should be able to cover the distance of roughly 400 kms between Palakkad and Bangalore in about 6 hours. The rest 200 km odd is not very predictable though, may take anywhere between 4 to 6 hours, depending upon traffic, weather, road conditions etc. So a 6AM start from Alleppey should land you in Bangalore by 6PM, considering about one hour of breaks in between.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks