Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2010, 17:51   #1981
BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
Hello T-Bhpians, one query :

I will be driving from Munnar to GVR. Will be driving on NH-47 and my query is: For reaching GVR from Thrissur / NH-47 :

can i drive upto Mannuthy and then take a deviation into Thrissur, so that i don't get to drive too much inside the town and i can drive on and join the Thrissur - Choondal road enroute to GVR.

Or : upon approaching Thrissur, is it better to get into the town on the first major turnoff and then join the choondal road ?

Advise / suggestions / guidances - wholeheartedly welcome !!
Ref my post last month in this forum under Travelogues. The fastest route from Trichur to Guruvayur is Trichur- Choondal- Guruvayur. Both Trichur- Choondal and Choondal- Guruvayur were in good condition in Oct, and should be so even now.

Bye
DrVjy
Old 16th December 2010, 16:27   #1982
BHPian

Guys one more info required :

I will be driving from Madurai to MUnnar and will be staying in Sterling Resorts, chinnakanal.

My query is, as per Google maps, there is a direct route from Bodi mettu to chinnakanal ( via Munnar catering college), suryanelli.

can somebody throw some light on the present condition of this road and also about the safety point in taking this road, or should i stick to the NH-49 & take the right turnoff near the chinnakanal bus stop to reach Sterling.
Old 16th December 2010, 16:30   #1983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
Guys one more info required :

I will be driving from Madurai to MUnnar and will be staying in Sterling Resorts, chinnakanal.

My query is, as per Google maps, there is a direct route from Bodi mettu to chinnakanal ( via Munnar catering college), suryanelli.

can somebody throw some light on the present condition of this road and also about the safety point in taking this road, or should i stick to the NH-49 & take the right turnoff near the chinnakanal bus stop to reach Sterling.
That road is not meant for even OTR vehicles. Please stick to NH49 via Bodimedu, Poopara to Chinnakanal.
Old 16th December 2010, 16:55   #1984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
That road is not meant for even OTR vehicles. Please stick to NH49 via Bodimedu, Poopara to Chinnakanal.
Wow! Hats off to you sir !! Thanks for the superfast response.

Thanks for your advise. Yes, i will stick to the NH-49 as per your suggestion.
Old 16th December 2010, 21:00   #1985
BHPian

Guys, xmas vacation time, and am planning chennai to Kerala trip. I would be starting on 22nd dec mid day. Would really like to get december*updates on*road condition.

Primary route i am looking for is:
Chennai Tambaram- chennai bypass -NH4 vellore -krishnagiri- thoppur- ammapettai-bhavani- avinashi -Coimbatore L&T bypass- palakkad -mannarkkad-perinthalmanna
Main concern in this route is , I just found a few days old post saying thoppur to ammapettai is really bad. Will it be better to take salem route itself from thoppur?

Second route is:
Tambaram- chengalpet-ulundurpet- kallakurichi -Salem -avinashi and remaining will be the same.
Concern in this route being *ulundurpet to Salem stretch. I had did his route 3-4 months back during the last week of august when it was road widening / construction in full swing with many many small diversions and was a really bad experience. What's the status of this construction now? Because I am really hopeful of this route since once this stretch is finished of widening it wil be the shorter (and good) route to Kerala from chennai
Old 16th December 2010, 23:25   #1986
BHPian

I dont feel comfortable with either routes even though they give 13 km or 30 km benefit over traditional Krishnagiri-Salem-Cbe route. Last weekend went through 12 diversions on the 40 km Avinashi 2 lane stretch. You can take 25 km of non-traffic diversion from Perundarai-Kangayem-Palladam-Sulur-CBE_bypass. Almost the same time. You choose.
Old 17th December 2010, 10:49   #1987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePunter View Post
Guys, xmas vacation time, and am planning chennai to Kerala trip. I would be starting on 22nd dec mid day. Would really like to get december*updates on*road condition.

Primary route i am looking for is:
Chennai Tambaram- chennai bypass -NH4 vellore -krishnagiri- thoppur- ammapettai-bhavani- avinashi -Coimbatore L&T bypass- palakkad -mannarkkad-perinthalmanna
Main concern in this route is , I just found a few days old post saying thoppur to ammapettai is really bad. Will it be better to take salem route itself from thoppur?

Second route is:
Tambaram- chengalpet-ulundurpet- kallakurichi -Salem -avinashi and remaining will be the same.
Concern in this route being *ulundurpet to Salem stretch. I had did his route 3-4 months back during the last week of august when it was road widening / construction in full swing with many many small diversions and was a really bad experience. What's the status of this construction now? Because I am really hopeful of this route since once this stretch is finished of widening it wil be the shorter (and good) route to Kerala from chennai
I don't know the condition of the route mentioned by you, but I did Chennai -Cochin in November end on the Kathipara - Poonamallee - Vaniyambadi -Salem - Coimbatore (L& T byepass) - Palghat route. I regret taking the Vaniyambadi - Salem route during the onward journey. The road is in pretty bad shape for a good 20 kms. The 133 km took me 2.5 hours. In contrast the 210 kms upto Vaniyambadi took me 3 hours. I suggest you stick to the Kathipara - Poonamallee - Krishnagiri -Salem - Coimbatore (L& T byepass) - Palghat route which I took for the return journey. Avinashi - Coimbatore stretch will get on your nerves. Till then the drive should be a breeze once you get out of Chennai city.
Old 17th December 2010, 15:32   #1988
BHPian

Bangalore to Trivandrun via Trichur

Greets!

The plan is this:
Day1: Bangalore to Trichur
Day2: Trichur to Trivandrum
Day 7: Trivandrum to xx (TBD)
Day 8: xx to Bangalore

I am driving with wife and 2 small kids so the short distances per day. Car is Linea.

1. What are the best (easiest) routes for day 1 and 2?
2. Any reccomendation for a night stop over on day 7?
3. Best route route for day 7 and 8?

Appreciate your help in finalizing the route.

Gears,
Red-One.
Old 17th December 2010, 17:29   #1989
BHPian

hey guys iam planning to go to bangalore on the 23rd of this month.which wud be the best route to choose???
1.tiruvalla>kumily>theni>dindigul>nammakal>salem>k rishnagiri>hosur>bangalore.
or
2.tiruvalla>cochin>trissur>palakkad>coimbatore>sal em>krishnagiri>hosur>bangalore
Old 18th December 2010, 05:00   #1990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjacob View Post
hey guys iam planning to go to bangalore on the 23rd of this month.which wud be the best route to choose???
or
2.tiruvalla>cochin>trissur>palakkad>coimbatore>sal em>krishnagiri>hosur>bangalore
For me route 1 looks better interms of driving comfort. Not sure of the road quality up to Dindigul though
Regards,
Sarin
Old 18th December 2010, 11:52   #1991
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjacob View Post
or
I have done the both the routes from Tiruvalla to Bangalore serval times. I found the route 1 is way better that than 2. The reasons are, Less traffic that is Truck traffic is very less through this route.

Road conditions - Tiruvalla - Kumaly , Good Road with bad pathes and pot holes here and there. Kumaly ghat is not in good condition ( as per HVK). there are some bad patches between Theni - Dindual. The rest is all the way in good condition

An early 3 AM from Tiruvalla will help you reach Bangalore by 3 PM with more than an hour of break sessions.

BTW are you from Tiruvalla ?
Old 19th December 2010, 20:12   #1992
BHPian

Thanks Sarin...

@speed gladiator...thanks for the detailed info.yes iam from tiruvalla.
Can u suggest me good places to halt and have food in this route?
Need to be a good hygienic place with good food.
iam planning to start from tiruvalla at 4am.so the best place to have bfast and lunch.
Old 19th December 2010, 22:52   #1993
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Trivandrun via Trichur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne View Post
Greets!

The plan is this:
Day1: Bangalore to Trichur
Day2: Trichur to Trivandrum
Day 7: Trivandrum to xx (TBD)
Day 8: xx to Bangalore

I am driving with wife and 2 small kids so the short distances per day. Car is Linea.
Quote:
1. What are the best (easiest) routes for day 1 and 2?
Day 1:
Bangalore-Salem-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Thrissur
Palakkad-Thrissur - Either the normal N47 or the alternate route discussed here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2175589

Day2:
NH47 is probably the easiest I guess. Not sure of the alternate routes here

Quote:
2. Any reccomendation for a night stop over on day 7?
3. Best route route for day 7 and 8?
Probably Madurai would be a good place to halt, If you take the Trivandrum-Nagercoil-Tirunelveli-Madurai-Dindigul-Salem-Krishnagiri-Bangalore route
Old 20th December 2010, 07:34   #1994
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Got an update that Trissur-Palakkad stretch is patched up temporarily and 20-30% better than last month. Any light? I'm having a drive in New Year.
Old 20th December 2010, 08:29   #1995
BHPian

^^

Hopefully will give you an update tomorrow. I'm driving down to Cochin tonight.

Btw, does anyone wants to join me till Cochin? I'm driving alone and I wouldn't mind a couple of T-Bhpians joining me

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks