Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2010, 10:04   #2026
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Any good suggestions on Hotels, in the acco thread Pankaj and Maurya were mentioned. Are these still good, also how is Ginger ?

Thanks
Raghu
Ginger is good if you wish to stay near Technopark.
Both Pankaj and Horizon are Rs. 2200+taxes for double occupancy.
Maurya Rajadhani is Rs. 3000+taxes (Four star)

Last edited by coolclouds : 22nd December 2010 at 10:08.
Old 22nd December 2010, 10:53   #2027
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
As Kala said, no need to go into Tiruppur. Go via Kangeyam, Dharapuram.

This is a very tricky part and hence you need to be careful. NH47 by-passes Perindurai completely and hence before you know, you would Kms away from where you need to exit.

There is an exit for Perindurai town and you need to take that and drive for about 2-4 km to hit the town. Then as Kala said ask locals for Kangeyam road. Its also marked (but I guess in Tamil). There is a railway crossing above which an overbridge was being constructed, Not sure of its status today.

Be aware that Kangeyam-Dharapuram-Udumalpet section, does not have any major toilet/hotels. Hence plan your breaks accordingly. You can get packed curd-rice. If you are a non-veg, I guess options are much more.
Hi ampere, Kala
Thank you for all the details provided. I always miss the deviations in TN as there are no road signs other than in Tamil which I cannot read. Thanks again.
jp
Old 22nd December 2010, 11:17   #2028
BHPian

Anyone doing Bangalore-Cochin tomorrow? I'm planning a 4.30am start via Hosur-Krishnagiri-Salem-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Ottappalam-Thrissur-Ernakulam. Decided to avoid NH47 for Palakkad-Thrissur based on recent updates on road condition.
Old 22nd December 2010, 11:21   #2029
BHPian

Folks,

Am intending to drive from Kalady to Guruvayur. Ideally it should be thro' NH-47 (via chalakudy), take exit near Mannuthy and proceed to GVR thro' Choondal.

I want to know if it is feasible / practical, starting from Kalady to join NH-17 near Parur and proceed to GVR via Vattanapilly and Chavakkad ?

How is the NH-17 condition and how much more KMS i will be driving more ?

This query is because of reading many posts which are highlighting the fact that NH-47 is being widened and the road between Chalakudy & Thrissur is very bad.

suggestions / comments / guidances most welcome.
Old 22nd December 2010, 11:27   #2030
Team-BHP Support

I had taken Ernakulam-Trichur via 47. It was pretty decent. Yes there were diversions. but I could easily maintain 70-80. Not sure how is the status today.
Old 22nd December 2010, 11:32   #2031
Senior - BHPian

Last month, I told myself I am lucky that I was travelling EKM-TCR at night since I found the diversions and bad roads appalling.

NH17 from EKM to Kunnamkulam is good. You can join from Chalakudy via Irinjalakuda - and go through Trissur town - or join at Paravur to go via Kodungallur.
Old 22nd December 2010, 11:47   #2032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Last month, I told myself I am lucky that I was travelling EKM-TCR at night since I found the diversions and bad roads appalling.

NH17 from EKM to Kunnamkulam is good. You can join from Chalakudy via Irinjalakuda - and go through Trissur town - or join at Paravur to go via Kodungallur.
@HVK Sir, I am thinking of joining NH-17 near Paravur itself. Do you have any idea of the condition of the road between Kalady & Paravur.

From MC Road to Athani, GM shows route via Kochi Airport road.(near the CIAL Golf Course) Do you think this is feasible or should i stick to the road via Angamaly south ( via Kariyad) ?
Old 22nd December 2010, 12:54   #2033
BHPian

Hi, I need some details on the journey to Aluva from Bangalore.
In my previous journeys, I took Hosur, Dharmapuri, Thoppur Ghat, Avinashi, Coimbatore, Palakkad, Trichur, Angamaly, Aluva.

1) what are the road signs that I need to look for to avoid the Palakkad-Trichur stretch of the NH47?
2) Could some observant person post the details on the diversion between Avinashi. My Dad told me a few years ago that he found the diversions in the Coimbatore-Salem stretch quite confusing, despite having had a driver. So it could be more problematic for me, as I have significantly less long distance driving experience compared with my Dad.

With 10 diversions, I guess nobody will be able to give all the details. But somebody having GPS/GPS Phone-Google Latitude, perhaps, they can somehow upload the details without it being too much work?

Anything else to worry about?

Thanks.
Old 22nd December 2010, 13:34   #2034
BHPian

Also, I request those who are knowledgeable about it to please give details, road signs and such, on switching from NH47 to NH17 and back between Palakkad and Aluva.

Well, if it is better than taking the NH47, that is.
Old 22nd December 2010, 13:36   #2035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
@HVK Sir, I am thinking of joining NH-17 near Paravur itself. Do you have any idea of the condition of the road between Kalady & Paravur.
Are you planning to take Kalady-Angamaly(Athani)-Aluva-Paravur route?

Aluva-Angamaly route is in good condition. If you are planning to take the airport route from Kalady to Athani, the road from the airport to Athani is also in good condition.

Aluva-Paravur route is not in the best condition. There are no large potholes AFAIK, but you will have a bumpy ride in many places. Good news is that repair work was ongoing when I took that route last week, so maybe it's better now.
Old 22nd December 2010, 13:44   #2036
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkuruvil View Post
Hi, I need some details on the journey to Aluva from Bangalore.
In my previous journeys, I took Hosur, Dharmapuri, Thoppur Ghat, Avinashi, Coimbatore, Palakkad, Trichur, Angamaly, Aluva.

1) what are the road signs that I need to look for to avoid the Palakkad-Trichur stretch of the NH47?
2) Could some observant person post the details on the diversion between Avinashi. My Dad told me a few years ago that he found the diversions in the Coimbatore-Salem stretch quite confusing, despite having had a driver. So it could be more problematic for me, as I have significantly less long distance driving experience compared with my Dad.

With 10 diversions, I guess nobody will be able to give all the details. But somebody having GPS/GPS Phone-Google Latitude, perhaps, they can somehow upload the details without it being too much work?

Anything else to worry about?

Thanks.

1. Thanks to Vasoo and Mallomowgli, you have pretty detailed description for this route. You can read the adjacent posts to these to get further details.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2175589

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2076259

2. There are no diversions to look for. You can read through the last couple of pages of this thread where this is discussed.
Old 22nd December 2010, 13:54   #2037
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post

From MC Road to Athani, GM shows route via Kochi Airport road.(near the CIAL Golf Course) Do you think this is feasible or should i stick to the road via Angamaly south ( via Kariyad) ?
I've found the Paravoor-Kodungallur stretch of NH-17 to be extremely slow because of the narrow roads and the heavy bus traffic that you encounter.

I think HVK's suggestion of crossing over to NH17 a little bit further north may be better. One possible route that GM shows is Chalakudy-Irinjalakuda-Moonnupeedika. I've travelled on the Chalakudy-Irinjalakuda road about a year ago and the road was very good then. Don't know how good the Irinjalakuda-Moonnupeedika road is, but the distance is only about 10 kms or so, it may be worth taking a chance.
Old 22nd December 2010, 13:57   #2038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv1976 View Post
Anyone doing Bangalore-Cochin tomorrow? I'm planning a 4.30am start via Hosur-Krishnagiri-Salem-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Ottappalam-Thrissur-Ernakulam. Decided to avoid NH47 for Palakkad-Thrissur based on recent updates on road condition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkuruvil View Post
Also, I request those who are knowledgeable about it to please give details, road signs and such, on switching from NH47 to NH17 and back between Palakkad and Aluva.

Well, if it is better than taking the NH47, that is.
Trichur-Palakkad stretch is not that bad as per the earlier posts.

I don't think its worth to take a detour since you have to travel in day time through Trichur/other towns especially on Christmas days.

Last edited by coolclouds : 22nd December 2010 at 14:05.
Old 22nd December 2010, 14:47   #2039
BHPian

Thanks sbkumar, cooclouds.

So, it looks like I just need to avoid the Thoppur ghat road and take the Salem byepass instead. That is too bad, the Thoppur ghat section was the one place where we could see some green.

So is there any consensus on whether we take the Ottapalam route or not to avoid the Palakkad-Thrissur? If this is greener, and does not take too much additional time, then perhaps we could try going that route. SOME greenery is greatly desired . . . .

If we take the Palakkad-Ottapalam road, then where is the best possible point to get back on the NH 47, to reach Aluva?
Old 22nd December 2010, 14:55   #2040
Senior - BHPian

If you would like to see some greenery, take a right turn at Omallur and join NH 47 at Shankari. you can save some kms, two tolls and of course, some relief from highway driving.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks