Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2011, 12:13   #2086
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
The Stretch between TCR and PGT has a few bad spots and lots of diversions.
Do you mean the diversions between CBE-Avinashi/Trichur-Angamaly?
Old 3rd January 2011, 12:36   #2087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Do you mean the diversions between CBE-Avinashi/Trichur-Angamaly?
You could be right, it could be the Trichur Angamaly Strech. As mentioned earlier around kuthiran was bad as well, but the Avinashi - CBE is another nightmare.

Last edited by raghu.t.k : 3rd January 2011 at 12:43. Reason: correction
Old 3rd January 2011, 13:39   #2088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
Worse as usual was Walayar jam for ~2:30hrs, in my onward journey to Cochin on 29th midnight.
2.5 hours is terrible. No way you could have turned back and gone via K G Chavadi onto the POllachi-Kanjikode-Palakkad road?
Old 3rd January 2011, 13:59   #2089
BHPian

Hello & wishing you all T-Bhpians a very happy new year 2011.

I came back from GVR to BLR via Ponnani-Edappal-Kottakal-Malappuram-Nilambur-Gudalur-MYS route.

I found the route a good one and i had to drive a tad slow to ask for directions at each major / important town. I took around 11 hrs from GVR-BLR with lot of stoppages due to photo shoots / lunch / roadside impromptu purchases / traffic jam at Nanjangud.

Nanjangud to Mysore was bad with craters all around and couldn't make out if it was being repaired / relaid as it was dark when i drove in that stretch.
Old 3rd January 2011, 14:47   #2090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
2.5 hours is terrible. No way you could have turned back and gone via K G Chavadi onto the POllachi-Kanjikode-Palakkad road?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
^^^ Yes this time the journey was lot better.
More 4lane sections have been completed between Thrissur-Angamaly. And a horse ride experience due to complete patch work around Kuthiran ghat, in Thrissur-Palakkad(NH47). Worse as usual was Walayar jam for ~2:30hrs, in my onward journey to Cochin on 29th midnight.
Oh! You were also affected Twiny? HVK, its true. I was travelling in bus to Kottayam from Bangalore on 29th, reached home around 11AM while usually its 8AM
Old 3rd January 2011, 16:40   #2091
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post

I came back from GVR to BLR via Ponnani-Edappal-Kottakal-Malappuram-Nilambur-Gudalur-MYS route.
If you are starting from Guruvayur, I guess it is not really worth to come via Ponnani (assuming you went through Chavakkad). It is easier to drive from Guruvayur till Edappal on the standard route, via Kunnamkulam & Perumpilavu, which is what most people, including yours truly, take. However, if you are coming from further south, say Ernakulam, it is worth all the time and distance to take NH-17.

Last edited by ajithbr : 3rd January 2011 at 16:41.
Old 3rd January 2011, 17:13   #2092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
If you are starting from Guruvayur, I guess it is not really worth to come via Ponnani (assuming you went through Chavakkad). It is easier to drive from Guruvayur till Edappal on the standard route, via Kunnamkulam & Perumpilavu, which is what most people, including yours truly, take. However, if you are coming from further south, say Ernakulam, it is worth all the time and distance to take NH-17.
Yes, your assumption is 100% correct. We started from GVR, went to Chavakkad beach, spent around 1 hour there and then started to BLR from there.

Actually, i wanted to come thro Kunnamkulam, perumpilalu, Pattambi, perintalmanna, melattur and reach Nilambur. But i read somewhere that roads are not in good shape post monsoon & there was a good report on the roads via Edappal - Malappuram - Nilambur route, so opted for this route.
Old 3rd January 2011, 17:24   #2093
BHPian

Drove from Kollam to Bangalore via Palakkad-Salem route.(after long time )

Road conditions:
1. Kollam-Kayamkulam -- Not so good,not so bad.
2.Kayamkulam- Alleppy-- This strech got a re-tarring work recently.So in good shape.
3.Alleppy-Cherthala-Aroor- Roads are ok. The old 4 lane is getting deteriorated in many places.

4.Aroor-Mannuthy(Trichur) --- As 4 laning works are nearing completion, lots of diversions.But roads are good. The main issue is,as there is no lanings or markings on the road, its little difficult to drive at nights/early mornings.

I took a left turn at Mannuthy and reached Vadakkancheri-Shornur road, to avoid the messy Trichur-Palakkad strech.I think its still not in good shape.

5. Trichur--Kulappully--Palakkad- Both Trichur-Shornur and Shornur -Palakkad roads are in excellent condition and it was smooth drive till Palakkad-Valayar.

6.Valayar- Avinashi-Perunthurai-- 4 laning works.Truck traffic/parking on 4 laning roads.Lots of traffic issues.

7.From Perunthurai onwards ,4 laning works are complete and hence a smooth drive till Bangalore.

I think still Kollam-Shengottai-Thirumangalam-Karur-Bangalore road is best option for people from Kayamkulam,Kollam and other southern areas of Kerala.

Last edited by mykal shoemaker : 3rd January 2011 at 17:27.
Old 3rd January 2011, 18:54   #2094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
Actually, i wanted to come thro Kunnamkulam, perumpilalu, Pattambi, perintalmanna, melattur and reach Nilambur. But i read somewhere that roads are not in good shape post monsoon
A friend of mine took Pattambi-Kunnamkulam route to reach GVR last week and found the stretch in really bad shape.
Old 3rd January 2011, 19:21   #2095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
A friend of mine took Pattambi-Kunnamkulam route to reach GVR last week and found the stretch in really bad shape.
Interestingly, roads in and out of Pattambi from most directions are in bad shape. I had a rough ride between Ottappalam and Pattambi in November. Update from last week->My friend going to Ernakulam was diverted from Nilambur through Manjeri-Malappuram-Kottakkal route by some homestay people where he halted. They were strongly discouraging the usual Wandoor-Pandikkad-Pattikkadu route saying that it is in its worst condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarinkumar View Post
I second it. road conditions have improved from October last year. Ghat sections have completely repaired, so do most of the NH212 section withing Kerala. Forest section remains the same. As mentioned by Chopper, repair work is on in Mysore Nanjangud section. With or without pot holes, I have my optimized driving. Its always, 6 hours door to door to cover 350 to 360KM.
Regards,
Sarin
How is Calicut->Adivaram stretch and Kalpetta->Bathery stretch? A couple of months back, there were bad stretches around Thamarassery and Meenangadi. Are they patched up as well?

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 3rd January 2011 at 19:45. Reason: Please use the EDIT function instead of posting back-to-back posts within 20 minutes. Thanks.
Old 3rd January 2011, 20:17   #2096
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
I think still Kollam-Shengottai-Thirumangalam-Karur-Bangalore road is best option for people from Kayamkulam,Kollam and other southern areas of Kerala.
Any route that avoids NH47 is good either Nh208 via Thenmala or NH220 via Kumily. For Kollam, Thenmala route is ideal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Funny how times change. Just one year back, this same stretch so nice, when I drove from Guruvayur to Bangalore via Nilambur.
Old 3rd January 2011, 20:58   #2097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Funny how times change. Just one year back, this same stretch so nice, when I drove from Guruvayur to Bangalore via Nilambur.
This friend of mine was in fact coming via Coimbatore route and diverted at Palakkad towards Ottapalam-Pattambi-Kunnamkulam-GVR.
Old 4th January 2011, 09:18   #2098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post

How is Calicut->Adivaram stretch and Kalpetta->Bathery stretch? A couple of months back, there were bad stretches around Thamarassery and Meenangadi. Are they patched up as well?
Yes. Its better now. They have done the repair work at many places between Thamarassery and S. Battery. At Adivaram the road is still in bad condition. Ghat section has repaired almost completely.
Old 4th January 2011, 12:20   #2099
Senior - BHPian

Vaikom - Bangalore drive update

Drove from Vaikom to Bangalore on Jan 3rd. Started at 6:05 AM and reached Bangalore at 4:17 PM. Total time 10 hours 15 mins including break of 1 hour 15 mins. Total Distance 570 KMS. Here is the trip sheet.

All Roads to Kerala-trip-sheet.jpg

Potholes on the NH7 between Salem and Thoppur were being filled. Took the Attibele, Sarjapur - Varthur route. This saves 10 Kms.
Old 4th January 2011, 12:50   #2100
BHPian

^^^True.. and a refreshing stretch too, except for the speed breakers.

Once took count of the humps in Attibele-Sarjapura-Marathahalli stretch and what I hardly recollect now is ~34humps in a 30km road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Initially the Jam seems to be ok and controlled, and was doubting to take the Chavadi route or not.. But after crossing the checkpost exit barrier, both directions got equally jammed and could not take a turn

BTW, how long is the alternate Chavadi-Kanjikode-Palakad route..

Last edited by Twiny : 4th January 2011 at 12:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks