Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2011, 14:23   #2146
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Coolclouds, thats not the case. Except for the first and last toll booth. There 2 toll booths on either side of NH67 intersection and Coimbatore-Pollachi road intersection. So as such, they are not saving any money. In effect, you have 4 extra toll booths that have no big advantage being on the main bypass road.
Old 1st February 2011, 19:15   #2147
BHPian

We did Bangalore-Muvattupuzha-Bangalore during the last three weekends due to family commitments.

We started around 5:15pm on Fridays (from Cooke Town). Halted at Salem at 9:30pm during the first trip. Second and third trip we halted at Perundurai around 10pm. Resumed the trip around 5:15am next day. During the first trip, we had breakfast from Diana at Wadakkanchery at 8:35am and during the second and third trips from Hills Park at Angamaly around 9am.

Our return trip, on all three times, started between 5am and 5:30am on Mondays and we reached Madivala police station between 12:45pm and 1:30pm. Since we started early morning from Perundurai or Salem, we could cover the Chengappally-Coimbatore and Coimbatore-Trichur stretch early morning, with relatively less traffic on the road. In the return journey too, since we started from home before 5:30am we could cover distance till Coimbatore early morning.

On our return journey, we had breakfast from Rajabhojanam after Coimbatore L&T bye-pass. It's being run by Annapoorna group now. And, lunch at Bangalore. During the onward journeys we had dinner from the hotels where we halted (Hotel Vasantham in Salem and Hotel Chennis at Perunduarai) during the first two times. During last trip, we packed dinner from Sri Krishna Inn at the HP Gas Station after Hosur, where there is a Coffee Day and a McDonald's is coming up.

Kerala roads are relatively better, with most of the potholes patched. Trichur bye-pass is done mostly except for few kilometers near Mannuthy. Trichur-Angamaly four-laning is progressing and done to a great extend. Lot of diversions and driving in the night is a real pain, with hardly any road markings and heavy oncoming traffic.

Regards
Rex

Last edited by rex_varghese : 1st February 2011 at 19:18.
Old 1st February 2011, 20:06   #2148
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post
On our return journey, we had breakfast from Rajabhojanam after Coimbatore L&T bye-pass. It's being run by Annapoorna group now. And, lunch at Bangalore. During the onward journeys we had dinner from the hotels where we halted (Hotel Vasantham in Salem and Hotel Chennis at Perunduarai) during the first two times. During last trip, we packed dinner from Sri Krishna Inn at the HP Gas Station after Hosur, where there is a Coffee Day and a McDonald's is coming up.
Rex thanks for that great update.

HVK sir,

Note the highlighted. If not god, even the Avatar is good!
Old 3rd February 2011, 10:09   #2149
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I am planning to drive to Vadakara on Saturday early morning and return by Sunday evening. This is for attending my friend's marriage on Sunday noon.

Suggest me the best routes as of today, prefer good and scenic routes over few distance savings.

Also let me know if I can plan few spots like Muzhuppilangadi or Wayanad in this trip!

Family is not accompanying me so I am open to all wicked ideas.
Old 3rd February 2011, 10:50   #2150
Team-BHP Support

You can try a full circle. One route via Kabini, while the other via the standard Iritty/Mattannur. Over all I would say Hunsur/Iritty option is better.
Old 3rd February 2011, 11:46   #2151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Guys,

I am planning to drive to Vadakara on Saturday early morning and return by Sunday evening. This is for attending my friend's marriage on Sunday noon.

Suggest me the best routes as of today, prefer good and scenic routes over few distance savings.

Also let me know if I can plan few spots like Muzhuppilangadi or Wayanad in this trip!

Family is not accompanying me so I am open to all wicked ideas.
You can stay overnight at Wayanad (prefereably Mananthavadi to cover Edakkal caves, Kuruva dweep and Tholpetty Wildlife sanctuary) and reach Vatakara (via Thottilpalam-Kuttiyadi-Nadapuram) next day noon. But if you are alone, Wayanad is not an interesting place (read: no wicked options). The Nagarhole-Kutta route from Bangalore is easier, though a 10km stretch from Kutta-Tholpetty is horrible

If you are preferring Muzhuppilangadi, then you can also cover Parassinikkadavu snake park and temple. Alternately Sandbanks is an interesting beach at Vadakara itself (its an estuary). Some 10km south of Vatakara you have Payyoli and Thikkoti beaches - both very beautiful

Last edited by mallumowgli : 3rd February 2011 at 11:48.
Old 3rd February 2011, 12:08   #2152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
For a modern day bypass, why are there so many toll booths and traffic lights on the L&T bypass. Instead of constructing toll booths on either side of an exit, cant they build it on the exit roads ?
This is the most annoying part of this road - frequent stops, and at all the gates, they keep only one lane open. One often gets stuck behind a couple of trucks, who will take ages to fish out their toll receipts, and then the same amount of time to get moving again.

They should construct flyovers at these junctions, and the toll gates should be located below the flyovers. I guess 4-laning of the bypass is on the cards as well. Work is progress is a good pace between Walayar and Ettimadai.
Old 4th February 2011, 16:21   #2153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You can try a full circle. One route via Kabini, while the other via the standard Iritty/Mattannur. Over all I would say Hunsur/Iritty option is better.
Thanks Ampere. Waiting to hear from my friends to finalize the plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
You can stay overnight at Wayanad (prefereably Mananthavadi to cover Edakkal caves, Kuruva dweep and Tholpetty Wildlife sanctuary) and reach Vatakara (via Thottilpalam-Kuttiyadi-Nadapuram) next day noon. But if you are alone, Wayanad is not an interesting place (read: no wicked options). The Nagarhole-Kutta route from Bangalore is easier, though a 10km stretch from Kutta-Tholpetty is horrible

If you are preferring Muzhuppilangadi, then you can also cover Parassinikkadavu snake park and temple. Alternately Sandbanks is an interesting beach at Vadakara itself (its an estuary). Some 10km south of Vatakara you have Payyoli and Thikkoti beaches - both very beautiful
Thanks Praveen. Useful thoughts! My wicked plans are nothing but some clicking only since my cam is not utilized to its potential .
Old 4th February 2011, 17:33   #2154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
The Nagarhole-Kutta route from Bangalore is easier, though a 10km stretch from Kutta-Tholpetty is horrible
Is this something recent ? The last time I travelled (probably a couple of months ago) the Kutta-Tholpetty-Kattikkulam stretch was all patched up and the roads were in pretty good shape (except for probably half a km around Kutta).

The worse stretch of this route was between Hunsur and Nagarahole WLS entrance (lot of short stretches with potholes), and the road inside the sanctuary was a bit on the rougher side too.

These days I always use SH33 if I'm going to Mananthavady. Except for the 10-12 km deviation through villages near Karapur (which is quite rough) the rest of SH33 is a pleasure to drive.
Old 5th February 2011, 08:28   #2155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Is this something recent ? The last time I travelled (probably a couple of months ago) the Kutta-Tholpetty-Kattikkulam stretch was all patched up and the roads were in pretty good shape (except for probably half a km around Kutta).

The worse stretch of this route was between Hunsur and Nagarahole WLS entrance (lot of short stretches with potholes), and the road inside the sanctuary was a bit on the rougher side too.

These days I always use SH33 if I'm going to Mananthavady. Except for the 10-12 km deviation through villages near Karapur (which is quite rough) the rest of SH33 is a pleasure to drive.
Ok my update was earlier to this. Thanks
Old 8th February 2011, 13:20   #2156
Senior - BHPian

All Roads to Kerala-salemexit-cbe.jpg

For those who gets confused at Salem, here is the exit to Coimbatore. The straight road goes to Dindigul.

All Roads to Kerala-salemexit-blrmaa.jpg
Exit at Salem flyover for Bangalore and Chennai (via Krishnagiri).

Chennai old route is mentioned in the sign board.

Last edited by coolclouds : 8th February 2011 at 13:44.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2011, 14:19   #2157
BHPian

any idea on road condition between theni ---> Kumli ---->Kottyam
Old 8th February 2011, 15:04   #2158
Senior - BHPian

Last month while I traveled, some 7-8 kms before and after Kumily was very bad.
Otherwise, its manageable.
Old 10th February 2011, 08:15   #2159
BHPian

Hi all,
I am planning to drive from Mysore to Sabarimala on 12th Feb Sat and drive back on 13th Feb Sunday, Please let m eknow the best route and the road condition as well. Help appreciated, I went through all posts but could not figure out the route between Mysore and Sabarimala.
Regards,
Hemanth
Old 10th February 2011, 10:41   #2160
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemanth View Post
Hi all,
I am planning to drive from Mysore to Sabarimala on 12th Feb Sat and drive back on 13th Feb Sunday, Please let m eknow the best route and the road condition as well. Help appreciated, I went through all posts but could not figure out the route between Mysore and Sabarimala.
Regards,
Hemanth
Shortest route is via Gundlupet-Gudalur-Nilambur-Trichur-Angamaly-Kanjirapally-Sabaramalai.

Need to know latest updates on:

- Gudalur-Tirchur (Via Nilambur)
- Angamaly-Kanjirapalli

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks