Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2011, 10:52   #2176
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
My sis and family is returning to Kochi from Kodai through Palani this w/e, they had gone through Munnar - Udumalpet - Palani - Kodai and is considering returning through Pollachi - Kollengode - Nenmara (don't want to consider ghat route since they will be late to start after darshan in Palani). Any update on the road condition through Kollengode and a comparison of taking Pollachi - Kanjikode - Palakkad route will be helpful.
Kollengode-Nenmara-Alathur is a decent road, thought not NH smooth. Not sure about Pollachi-Kollengode. But still this route would be faster than coming all the way to Palakkad and going back
Old 6th March 2011, 22:49   #2177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
I am really saddened to witness the deterioarting traffic congestion in and around my dearest home town Thrissur which was a calm, serene place few years back. I used to be a regular traveller on the Kunnamkulam Thrissur stretch. During my last few visits i was shocked to see the extent of traffic jams on this stretch of 23Km. I was stuck in a Jam of may be more than 1Km in Kechery which has turned in to major bottle neck. Another 500m on Poonkunnam Patturaikkal stretch. Mind you all these happened not at peak time.I think this is normal in all parts of the city. I was caught up in another massive jam on Kokkalai-Kuruppam road stretch.Situation was not different in East Fort, Manorama Junction etc etc. I am finding the situation some times worse than even Bangalore.Is the situation same in other Kerala cities? I know Kochi is bad but not visited the city for long. I visited Thiruvananthapuram recently and found it much better.
My house is at Poonkunnam. Traffic in thrissur has started becoming very bad. Especially at MG road, Kurrupam road and rest of the places mentioned above. The only bright side is that main roads in and around Thrissur round are 'almost' pothole free.
Old 7th March 2011, 10:51   #2178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Kollengode-Nenmara-Alathur is a decent road, thought not NH smooth. Not sure about Pollachi-Kollengode. But still this route would be faster than coming all the way to Palakkad and going back
Thanks mallumowgli, They took the Pallakad route after checking with Taxi guys in Pollachi.
Old 7th March 2011, 11:21   #2179
BHPian

Update: Bangalore-Nanjangud-Wayanad-Calicut

There is good amount of repair work done in Mysore-Nanjangud stretch and is much better now. Few places like the area near lake, nanjangud bridge etc has been tarred completely and other areas are patched up. Even the finish of patch up work is good and ride is not too bumpy (like Palakkad-Thrissur)

Wayanad ghats - improved further compared to December 2010. I could see most potholes in Kalpetta-Bathery-Muthanga are also patched up. So Bangalore-Calicut is a pleasant drive now, like it used to be earlier.
Old 11th March 2011, 16:19   #2180
NFS
BHPian

Taking my zen today to kerala. Driving Tambaram -> Vellore -> Krishnagiri -> Dharmapuri -> Salem -> Bhavani -> Avinashi -> Walayar -> Kanjikode -> Palakkad

I guess the Avinashi road is good now. I had taken note of the Perundurai route suggested as part of the first post here. Suggestions are welcome.

NFS
Old 12th March 2011, 18:44   #2181
BHPian

Next Saturday I need to drive down to Kottarakkara for a wedding. I guess the best option would be to take the NH-7 via Thirumanagalam.

I have another thought of going via Gudalur, Pattambi, Ekm. The route is shorter but I guess the roads aren't that good and we might waste a few hours taking this route.

I was looking for a scenic route but does not want to waste much time either

So does anyone have better suggestions?
Old 12th March 2011, 19:03   #2182
NFS
BHPian

Started from Tambaram at 6.10pm. Filled up petrol 30liters. Took chennai byepass to ponnammallee. To Krishnagiri - to Salem - to Avinashi - to L&T bye pass Neelambur - to Walayar - and reached Palakkad at 5.30am door to door. Including Petrol fill, Dinner, around 6/7 tea breaks. Total 610kms completed with 30 lits petrol (decent 20 km + avg). Still 10% petrol left(matches with initial petrol in the tank).

Avinashi Coimbatore stretch ate up our 1hr + as speeds were less than 40 kms avg. Should have taken the alternative suggestions to avoid this route. I did not think it was too bad though.

Drive was really enjoyed as there were NO bad incidents and good fellow road users. Also met a fellow BHPian (black Figo TN0x AP 1x70), though he would not have recognized me (no stickers on my car). You went past, when we were negotiating to the humps at thoppur, and again overtook me just before reaching Avinashi.

Another travel in April on Scorpio. Was wondering if we could take the Tambaram - Villupuram - Attur - Salem - Avinashi - Madukkarai - Palakkad.
Old 12th March 2011, 21:45   #2183
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
Another travel in April on Scorpio. Was wondering if we could take the Tambaram - Villupuram - Attur - Salem - Avinashi - Madukkarai - Palakkad.
Never even dream about taking that route. The road via Attur (NH68) is in shambles. Though 4L is going on (as per what I heard in this forum), half part of the road is dug up.
Old 14th March 2011, 10:43   #2184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post

I have another thought of going via Gudalur, Pattambi, Ekm. The route is shorter but I guess the roads aren't that good and we might waste a few hours taking this route.

I was looking for a scenic route but does not want to waste much time either

So does anyone have better suggestions?
I am also thinking of taking this shortest route while returning from Cochin on next Sunday afternoon. Please share the latest road updates if anyone recently traveled.
Old 17th March 2011, 18:32   #2185
NFS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Never even dream about taking that route. The road via Attur (NH68) is in shambles. Though 4L is going on (as per what I heard in this forum), half part of the road is dug up.
Thanks Ampere, I will not take this route. I remember going through this in 2006. Then it was good road in one panchayath and bad in another. Literally we were like going in good speed at some places and the next 15 mins tackling potholes. I thought the state would have improved.

Good to know that they are doing 4L there.

Once again thanks for the heads up!
Old 18th March 2011, 09:48   #2186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I am also thinking of taking this shortest route while returning from Cochin on next Sunday afternoon. Please share the latest road updates if anyone recently traveled.
Finally I have decided to take this route since my friend would be joining in from Perinthalmanna. I wouldn't be on the net for the next 2 days so if you need an update on this route you can call me on Saturday evening or Sunday. I will PM you my number.
Old 18th March 2011, 19:17   #2187
Senior - BHPian

Angamaly - Ollur is in much better shape now. Was able to do Perumbavoor to Trichur town in one hour flat(early morning) in a Vista QJD. Most part of the road is completed. Only hitches are a few flyovers and lane markings to be done. Wonder how many more years it will take to get the road lit at night.
Old 21st March 2011, 09:30   #2188
BHPian

I am planning to drive to Cochin this wednesday and would like to know whether it is still advisable to try out these diversions

(a) Thrissur to Palakkad is via Wadakancherry-SHoranur-Ottapalam-Palakkad

(b) Perundurai - Kangeyam - Palladam - Sulur - L&T to avoid Avinasi
Old 21st March 2011, 11:53   #2189
Senior - BHPian

I did Cochin Bangalore yesterday. Started from Kaloor at 3pm and the traffic was much lower than normal so that I could do the stretch till L&T bye pass in 2.30hrs non stop and never exceeding 100km/hr.

Trichur-Palghat is good except for few kms near Kuthiran ghat but if required, you can do 80+ with a bumpy ride. As usual, 4 lane work is at full swing but can be managed without any issues.
Old 21st March 2011, 15:14   #2190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Trichur-Palghat is good except for few kms near Kuthiran ghat but if required, you can do 80+ with a bumpy ride
Has that ghat section improved that much ? Couple of months back, it could be negotiated no higher than 30-40

Most Viewed