Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2011, 18:36   #2236
Team-BHP Support

re: All Roads to Kerala

Nilambur-Perinthalmanna: Did you go via Melatoor?
I did that some time back and it was good.
Old 14th April 2011, 19:08   #2237
BHPian

Drive on Bangalore-Mysore SH has always been an 'adventure' by itself. Now we hear of attempted robbery as well - this is said to have happened 2 days back.

Journey Never Ends: Mysore Bangalore Highway Robbery Attempt

Mods, please excuse for posting it here. I know that quite a few members who travel on this route regularly are subscribing to this thread and thought i'll share this info here.
Old 14th April 2011, 19:48   #2238
BHPian

did Bangalore-krishnagiri-mettur-bavani-coimbatore-palakkad-Cochin-kottayam on my classic500. mettur-bhavani stretch is not so good with patchworks, might be ok for cars, narenders apache and my c5 took a beating on it. Avinashi-Coimbatore still under work but manageable.kuthran kettam bad with a lot of pot holes. thrissur flyovers have been partially finished so could make good time here. cohin-kottayam road is fantastic.
Old 15th April 2011, 15:41   #2239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv1976 View Post
Drive on Bangalore-Mysore SH has always been an 'adventure' by itself. Now we hear of attempted robbery as well - this is said to have happened 2 days back.

Journey Never Ends: Mysore Bangalore Highway Robbery Attempt

Mods, please excuse for posting it here. I know that quite a few members who travel on this route regularly are subscribing to this thread and thought i'll share this info here.
Just to add to this,the petrol pumps just out of Bangalore towards Mysore all seem to be "rogue" petrol pumps.

I stopped at 4 different petrol pumps including a BP COCO and had the same experience.The modus operandi goes like this:

Petrol Stn 1: Asked for a fill of INR1000,stops dispensing at 200 and says nozzle problem and that he will reset to zero and start again.I said nothing doing,I paid 200 and drove away.

Petrol Stn 2,this is a new HP pump at Kengeri,I said 1000,and said card,attendant said yes,and then during the dispensing,the attendant has so many questions,like which card,do i have cash,do i have PIN of the card.I told him to stop at 200 and drove away again

Petrol Stn 3:BP COCO,I said tank full,he stops at 4 liters and then tells me,current gone,needs to reset,i again paid for 4 liters and drove off.

Not sure whats going on the BLR-Mysore road.Finally tanked up at a CCD pump.Quite an experience it was for me.
Old 17th April 2011, 06:38   #2240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nims View Post
did Bangalore-krishnagiri-mettur-bavani-coimbatore-palakkad-Cochin-kottayam on my classic500. mettur-bhavani stretch is not so good with patchworks, might be ok for cars, narenders apache and my c5 took a beating on it. Avinashi-Coimbatore still under work but manageable.kuthran kettam bad with a lot of pot holes. thrissur flyovers have been partially finished so could make good time here. cohin-kottayam road is fantastic.
I need to go to Kottayam from Aluva. Can you tell me the best route?
Old 17th April 2011, 09:28   #2241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
for kottayam to aluva, you can either take the kottayam-ernakulam-aluva route or kottayam-muvattupuzha-perumbavoor-aluva route.
Old 17th April 2011, 11:16   #2242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
for a change, You can Try:
Aluva-Seaport-Airport Road-Thrippunithura-Thalayolaparambu-Kottayam
Old 17th April 2011, 13:17   #2243
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys.

From Ernakulam, I find that there are two routes to Kottayam - Tripunithura or Cherthala route - which one is better?

Last edited by PatienceWins : 17th April 2011 at 13:22.
Old 17th April 2011, 14:14   #2244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys.

From Ernakulam, I find that there are two routes to Kottayam - Tripunithura or Cherthala route - which one is better?
Better route would be Vyttila-Tripunithura-Thalayolaparambu-Ettumanoor-Kottayam. It was in good condition two months back but the traffic can be high during peak hrs.
Old 17th April 2011, 22:19   #2245
BHPian

Update :

Roads in Kerala are at their best condition right now.

I travelled from Trivandrum to Kasargod last week and can vouch for that. Estimated travelling time (night driving) from Trivandrum to Kasargod is 10 hrs with short breaks.

There is a small stretch near Chalakudy where roadwork is still goin on and a couple of potholes near edappal bus stand.
Anybody with remaps and Bilsteins/Konis, this is it!!!
Old 17th April 2011, 22:26   #2246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by artofzen View Post
Update :

Roads in Kerala are at their best condition right now.
Thats what elections do to the infrastructure
Old 18th April 2011, 09:42   #2247
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Any latest update on Madurai -> Udumalpettai ->Sengkottai -> Kollam route? My friend and family travelling on their new VW Vento this wednesday to Kollam and GPS says this is the best route.

I am travelling to Thodupuzha on Wednesday night on my Xylo. Hope "Aal Iz Well" with NH47 after elections!
Old 18th April 2011, 10:17   #2248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
I am travelling to Thodupuzha on Wednesday night on my Xylo. Hope "Aal Iz Well" with NH47 after elections!
wednesday night will be a nightmare on salem-cbe-pgt-trichur route as lots of traffic for the long weekend rush.

Hence, I have decided to use the Kumily route for the kottayam trip.As per Biju(B108) who used the same route last saturday, ghats around Kumily are still in bad shape but still, it seems a peaceful drive compared to the heavy truck traffic on NH47.
Old 18th April 2011, 11:45   #2249
Senior - BHPian

Me too plan to do Blr-Kochi this Wednesday. Some of the buses are now taking Chengapalli-Uthukuli-Thiruppur-Palladam-Coimbatore route to avoid Avinashi stretch though its about 10kms extra.

Did anyone tried this route recently? How is the road conditions?
Old 18th April 2011, 16:00   #2250
BHPian

Hi Folks,

How about roads to Munnar? from NH47 (Perendurai) Towards Dharapuram --> Udumulapettai --> Marayoor --> Munnar? Please update conditions if anyone have travelled on this road recently. What would be estimated travel time from Perundurai to Munnar?

Thanks,
Raghu Lakshman

Most Viewed