Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2011, 16:48   #2251
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmnraghu78 View Post
Hi Folks,

How about roads to Munnar? from NH47 (Perendurai) Towards Dharapuram --> Udumulapettai --> Marayoor --> Munnar? Please update conditions if anyone have travelled on this road recently. What would be estimated travel time from Perundurai to Munnar?

Thanks,
Raghu Lakshman
Roads are good all through.. It will take around 4 to 5 hrs from Perundurai to Munnar
Old 18th April 2011, 19:27   #2252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
wednesday night will be a nightmare on salem-cbe-pgt-trichur route as lots of traffic for the long weekend rush.

Hence, I have decided to use the Kumily route for the kottayam trip.As per Biju(B108) who used the same route last saturday, ghats around Kumily are still in bad shape but still, it seems a peaceful drive compared to the heavy truck traffic on NH47.
I am doing the same route on Friday. I plan to start from Bangalore at 3AM and reach Kottayam by 2 PM for lunch. Can you recommend any place for breakfast (somewhere near Dindigul)?

I will be going to Aluva on Saturday (Kottayam - Tripunithura- Cochin - Aluva) to pick my family and coming to Bangalore on Sunday taking Palghat - Coimbatore - Salem way. Looking forward to a great drive.
Old 18th April 2011, 19:38   #2253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
thanks AD. I am planning to start at 4:30 and try the CCD gundlupet for breakfast.
Same situation here too. Planning to start around 4.30 AM and reach upto Gundlupet before halting for breakfast. Planning to break at CCD@Gundlupet this time. I am pretty confident of the cleanliness of toilets at CCD but not sure about the breakfast menu here. Can anyone tell me the time from when CCD will be open and the availability of (South) Indian items in the menu for elders? And any other good items for others?
Old 18th April 2011, 20:04   #2254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Can anyone tell me the time from when CCD will be open and the availability of (South) Indian items in the menu for elders? And any other good items for others?
I do not remember seeing any South Indian items at CCD, Gundelpet. They have the usual Hot/ Cold coffees, pastries and some snacks (samoosa, rolls etc). The food is good, but cannot substitute proper brakefast.

In Gundelpet town (while coming from Mysore), before the junction where the right turn goes to Bathery, there is a veg restaurant on the left - food is just decent.
Old 18th April 2011, 20:57   #2255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I do not remember seeing any South Indian items at CCD, Gundelpet. They have the usual Hot/ Cold coffees, pastries and some snacks (samoosa, rolls etc). The food is good, but cannot substitute proper brakefast.

In Gundelpet town (while coming from Mysore), before the junction where the right turn goes to Bathery, there is a veg restaurant on the left - food is just decent.
That would be the Udupi one and not so good for our taste/liking :-(

Let me wait to hear from others as I remember reading about Mini Idlys and other south indian stuff being available here. Toast+MasalaOmlet is another popular item I believe.

I am driving between Bangalore and Calicut for the last 10 years or so and is familiar with most of the hotels in the route :-)
But, incidentally, even though I have stopped on CCD on other routes out of Bangalore, I had never stopped in CCD Gundlupet since invariably I stop at Sulthan Bathery while returning and so Gundlupet would be a short drive to stop again. Also, while going, we would have had breakfast anywhere between Kamat Lokaruchi and KabiniSangam (Nanjangud). So, if at all there is a break in Gundlupet, that would be only at Kalpaka for Tea+PazhamPori, and that too if the breakfast was at or before Mandya.
Old 18th April 2011, 21:37   #2256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I am doing the same route on Friday. I plan to start from Bangalore at 3AM and reach Kottayam by 2 PM for lunch. Can you recommend any place for breakfast (somewhere near Dindigul)?

I will be going to Aluva on Saturday (Kottayam - Tripunithura- Cochin - Aluva) to pick my family and coming to Bangalore on Sunday taking Palghat - Coimbatore - Salem way. Looking forward to a great drive.
I haven't tried any hotels in Dindigul for the single reason that I need to leave NH and go into the city. For that matter, normally,I time my travel such that, I will have breakfast at either shoolagiri or thoppur A2B and then go all the way till Periyakulam where in there is a decent hotel (Travancore restaurant) who serves decent food for lunch.

Since you are starting at 3 AM, this might not work for you and hence you might have to leave NH and enter some city for breakfast.
Old 18th April 2011, 21:58   #2257
BHPian

Quote:
I haven't tried any hotels in Dindigul for the single reason that I need to leave NH and go into the city. For that matter, normally,I time my travel such that, I will have breakfast at either shoolagiri or thoppur A2B and then go all the way till Periyakulam where in there is a decent hotel (Travancore restaurant) who serves decent food for lunch.

Since you are starting at 3 AM, this might not work for you and hence you might have to leave NH and enter some city for breakfast.
I would recommend you to try Karur for breakfast. That will be around 7 AM for you since it is around 300 kms from Bangalore. Also, you need not leave NH as you will get a few good hotels at the junction of NH-7 and NH-67 (Kovai->Trichy highway) under the flyover.
Please checkout post #24 here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ngalore-2.html
Old 18th April 2011, 21:59   #2258
BHPian

Quote:

I would recommend you to try Karur for breakfast. That will be around 7 AM for you since it is around 300 kms from Bangalore. Also, you need not leave NH as you will get a few good hotels at the junction of NH-7 and NH-67 (Kovai->Trichy highway) under the flyover.
Please checkout post #24 and #26 here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ngalore-2.html
ajithbr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2011, 22:24   #2259
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys.

Ajith, the thread reference is very helpful - breakfast issue is solved.
Old 19th April 2011, 09:49   #2260
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to visit my friends property in Vandenmedu (near Kattanpana in Idukky district) on my way back from Kerala to Bangalore, would like to know which will be the best route from Vandenmedu to Bangalore. My drive will be a sedan with low ground clearance.
Old 19th April 2011, 15:14   #2261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
wednesday night will be a nightmare on salem-cbe-pgt-trichur route as lots of traffic for the long weekend rush.

Hence, I have decided to use the Kumily route for the kottayam trip.As per Biju(B108) who used the same route last saturday, ghats around Kumily are still in bad shape but still, it seems a peaceful drive compared to the heavy truck traffic on NH47.
Thats right Joe and I'm starting post 9PM only. would decide on Dindigul or Coimbatore depending on the experience till Salem .

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
I am planning to visit my friends property in Vandenmedu (near Kattanpana in Idukky district) on my way back from Kerala to Bangalore, would like to know which will be the best route from Vandenmedu to Bangalore. My drive will be a sedan with low ground clearance.
Though not an expert for Idukki, I do travel once in a while to Kattappana and Kumily and Thodupuzha. In my opinion, Bangalore -> Salem -> Dindigul -> Theni -> Cumbom -> Cumbommettu -> Vandanmedu is the easiest considering Cumbommettu road is in its best condition now. Vandenmedu is connected from major towns Kumily and Kattappana but you need not touch both when coming from Cumbommettu. Not very sure on the Cumbommettu to Vandanmedu road condition, it was manageable when I travelled an year back and now it should be better because of elections.

Last edited by jacs : 19th April 2011 at 15:16.
Old 19th April 2011, 15:19   #2262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
would decide on Dindigul or Coimbatore depending on the experience till Salem .

well, your experience till Salem would be very good. Infact, drive almost till Avinashi shouldn't be an issue.But the real challenge starts after this point.

I too might be on the road around the same time. Let us see whether we can spot each other..
Old 19th April 2011, 15:30   #2263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Though not an expert for Idukki, I do travel once in a while to Kattappana and Kumily and Thodupuzha. In my opinion, Bangalore -> Salem -> Dindigul -> Theni -> Cumbom -> Cumbommettu -> Vandanmedu is the easiest considering Cumbommettu road is in its best condition now. Vandenmedu is connected from major towns Kumily and Kattappana but you need not touch both when coming from Cumbommettu. Not very sure on the Cumbommettu to Vandanmedu road condition, it was manageable when I travelled an year back and now it should be better because of elections.
+1. I had taken the same route from Cochin to Cumbum and back in the last week of December and the roads were excellent.
Old 19th April 2011, 16:19   #2264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
well, your experience till Salem would be very good. Infact, drive almost till Avinashi shouldn't be an issue.But the real challenge starts after this point.

I too might be on the road around the same time. Let us see whether we can spot each other..
That means lot of guys are traveling to Kerala during Wednesday night? me too will be going to Kochi post 9pm from Bangalore.

Don't know how much rush would be there in toll booths. If booths till Thoppur are heavily packed, I may be taking Omallur route to skip Omallur and Salem booths.
By the way, every time I take Omallur-Shankari route, I get on to NH47 at Shankari through the narrow road (left) immediately after the underpass. This road was in very bad shape last time I traveled.
Is there any other way we can get on to Shankari NH47?
Old 19th April 2011, 16:30   #2265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
That means lot of guys are traveling to Kerala during Wednesday night? me too will be going to Kochi post 9pm from Bangalore.

Don't know how much rush would be there in toll booths. If booths till Thoppur are heavily packed, I may be taking Omallur route to skip Omallur and Salem booths.
By the way, every time I take Omallur-Shankari route, I get on to NH47 at Shankari through the narrow road (left) immediately after the underpass. This road was in very bad shape last time I traveled.
Is there any other way we can get on to Shankari NH47?
Hi,
Is it really worth taking this route to avoid salem.benefits vis a vis a 4L road?Entry exit points in sankari and omalur?

tx

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks