Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2011, 23:02   #2401
Team-BHP Support

re: All Roads to Kerala

Check with Ranjit. He went last month and I think mentioned that Pattambi section was pretty bad. Nilambur is decent. Road is quite twisty between Gudalur to Perinthalmanna.
Old 23rd June 2011, 11:34   #2402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
What is the latest status of (Bangalore->Mysore->Gundlupet)->Gudalur->Nilambur->Kalikavu->Perinthalmanna->Pattambi->Perumpilavu->Guruvayur route?
If one can reach Gundlupet by 8 AM, what would be the estimated time to reach Guruvayur with a total of an hour's break in between? I would say 1 PM from my experience in January/February, but would like to know from someone who had done this recently.
Gundulpet-Gudalur:Roads are excellent,will take time thanks to the ghat sections.Also TN Checkpost guys have begun to demand for money from taxis.I saw the cab in front of me paying money and the guy behind me also paid money,but private cars are waved on.I was all ready for some action but the guy just asked me my destination and waved me on.

Negotiating Gudalur town traffic is a big pain.Its getting more and more crowded with each passing day,plus no signages absolutely for the turn towards Nadugani.One reaches a very busy signal with a right to Nadugani-Nilambur.It is at the same juntion that one turns towards Batheri as well.

Gudalur-Nadugani:Good winding roads.

At Nadugani after the check post take a left for the Nilambur road.The ghats are in supreme condition,no potholes whatsoever.

Nadugani-Vazhikadavu:Excellent roads.

Vazhikadavu-Nilambur:Heavily congested and very narrow,the compound walls of the houses are literally on the road.There is a KTDC Tamarind enroute before Nilambur.

Nilambur-Perinthalmana roads range from excellent to hopeless because apparently the PWD has alloted some funds for the construction of culverts so every now and then the culvert constructions pop up and some sections have no tar,add to it the heavy traffic.

Perinthalmana-Pattambi some sections are bad,but overall it is quite ok but again like the rest of Kerala heavy traffic.

We did not go via the Kalikavu route,instead we took the Wandoor-Pattikad-Perinthalmana route.The local taxi drivers told us to take this route as this was easier and better road conditions.

Perinthalmana-Pattambi took us 1hour.

If you are to leave Gundulpet by 8,I guess you should be able to reach GVR by 3pm.Below are the distances and times as per some of my earlier drives.

Gundulpet-Gudalur:60kms / 1.5hours

Gudalur-Vazhikadavu:40kms/1hour

Vazhikadavu-Nilambur:25kms/45mins

Nilambur-Perinthalmana:45kms/1hr 20mins

Perinthalmana-Pattambi:20kms/40mins

Pattambi-Perumpilavu:18kms/30mins

P'plavu-Kunnamkulam:8kms/15mins

Kunnamkulam-GVR:8kms/15mins

You could stop for lunch at Nakshatra Regency,at Koppam on the Perinthalmana-Pattambi road.Excellent place and super clean washrooms.Lovely place.

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 23rd June 2011 at 11:35.
Old 23rd June 2011, 13:29   #2403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Perinthalmana-Pattambi took us 1hour.

If you are to leave Gundulpet by 8,I guess you should be able to reach GVR by 3pm.Below are the distances and times as per some of my earlier drives.

Gundulpet-Gudalur:60kms / 1.5hours

Gudalur-Vazhikadavu:40kms/1hour

Vazhikadavu-Nilambur:25kms/45mins

Nilambur-Perinthalmana:45kms/1hr 20mins

Perinthalmana-Pattambi:20kms/40mins

Pattambi-Perumpilavu:18kms/30mins

P'plavu-Kunnamkulam:8kms/15mins

Kunnamkulam-GVR:8kms/15mins

You could stop for lunch at Nakshatra Regency,at Koppam on the Perinthalmana-Pattambi road.Excellent place and super clean washrooms.Lovely place.
Good detailed report. I was planning to take Perinthalmana route next time from Bangalore to Kochi for a change but looks to be too slow than what I expected.
Can you tell me what could be the approximate running hours for Bangalore-Kochi for a 6am start from Bangalore Richmond town?
Old 23rd June 2011, 13:49   #2404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Good detailed report. I was planning to take Perinthalmana route next time from Bangalore to Kochi for a change but looks to be too slow than what I expected.
Can you tell me what could be the approximate running hours for Bangalore-Kochi for a 6am start from Bangalore Richmond town?
Good decision,it simply isnt worth driving through nilambur or through Batheri for places beyond Calicut towards Kochi.I too took the Nilambur route a couple of times to "enjoy" the scenic drives,but have decided no more as driving through Kerala is simply too hectic and very very time consuming.The left leg at the end of the drive is so very sore with all that clutch work that you literally feel like having a knee transplant at the end of the drive,not to mention about the fuel consumption!

On the other hand the Salem drive is easy and tension free.

With a 6am departure from Richmond town,you should ideally reach Salem GRT by 10am latest.

Coimbatore L&T bypass by 130-2pm.Palakkad(Chandranagar-Aaryas turning)by 0315pm, from there do not take the NH47,instead go via Ottapalam-Shoranur-Wadakancheri-Thrissur.Via this route you should be back on NH47 after Mannuthy by 5pm.From there on you should be at Edappally by 6pm thanks to the 4laning that has been completed between Mannuthy & Kochi.

These are orthodox & conservative timings so add in an hour more or less for traffic jams and breaks.

I would suggest that if you can leave home by 430am,it would be ideal as you would be able to reach kochi earlier and easier.

Eating options:Kamat Upachar after Hosur,Sri Krishna Bhavan after hosur,A2B at Shoolagiri,A2B on right side at Thoppur,GRT at Salem,Aaryas at Perundurai again on the right side,Rajabhojanam just before the L&T bypass,Rajabhojanam after L&T BP both attached to Reliance pumps,Walayar Motels(thanks to Ajithbr for this),Aaryas at Palakkad onto your left at the point where the NH47 turns left for thrissur,Aaryas near Chalakudy,a couple of restaurants near Angamali as well.

PS:Time wise going on NH47 or via ottapalam would more or less be same,but you can save your car,axles,wheel rims etc if you go via ottapalam,nh47 between vadakkencherry and pattikad is the pits at the moment and now with rains and 4 laning i wouldnt bother taking it.On the other hand the ottapalam road is fabulous and wide.

Eating options on the Ottapalam road:Hotel Jayabharat onto your right just before Vaniyamkulam town.Place is famous as it is a restaurant patronized by the "evergreen" Mohanlal himself,its a small family run eatery but pretty good food.

After that at Kulappully onto your left there is Samudra Regency,excellent place.

This route takes you through the bridge over Bharatapuzha and the Kalamandalam at Cheruthuruthy.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2011, 14:13   #2405
BHPian

Quote:
I am a regular on this route Richmond Roadt to Kottayam - I usually start around 4:30-ish

Salem Route you would be at Kochi by 1 pm without pushing it at all. Add 90 minutes to that if you choose Perinthalmanna route.
Old 23rd June 2011, 14:27   #2406
Team-BHP Support

Now I remember. I had taken the route via Melatoor. Quite twisty road, but was very good.
Perinthalmanna-Melatoor-Kalikavu-Nilambur. This section was very good (I am talking of Dec 2009!).

Here is discussion related to this route.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-required.html

(Look at #3 by Renamo)
Old 23rd June 2011, 15:46   #2407
Senior - BHPian

Thank you guys for the detailed inputs.

I was looking for a different route because all my Bangalore/Chennai-Kochi drives in the past were during night through Salem and its sub routes.
Now, since I may be able to do my next trip in day time, thought of trying a different route. The routes in mind were:

Bangalore-Perinthalmanna-Kochi (Now, ruled out)
Bangalore-Sulthan Bathery-Kochi (Visit a relative at Bathery - long pending promise to wife)
Bangalore-Ooty-Cbe-Kochi - (Visit a family at Coonoor+ sight seeing drive under 12 hours)
Bangalore-Munnar-Kochi - Same as above + visit a family at Adimaly

I am now, more inclined towards Munnar route.
Old 23rd June 2011, 15:54   #2408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Bangalore-Sulthan Bathery-Kochi (Visit a relative at Bathery - long pending promise to wife)
Batheri to Kozhikode has dense traffic ,do it if you are prepared for a long drive.Thamarasserry isnt in the best of shapes either,and NH17 inside kerala can take a toll on you.Kodungallur is a big mess at the moment.Do it with a stopover,it can be convenient.

Quote:
Bangalore-Ooty-Cbe-Kochi - (Visit a family at Coonoor+ sight seeing drive under 12 hours)
Long and tiresome route again to be done in a day as Coonoor-Mettupalayam has traffic and then Mettupalayam-CBE is messy traffic.You could go via Annur,but then again you are faced with the Avinashi traffic!Bangalore Coonoor would take around 6 hours,Coonoor Coimbatore is another 3hours and CBE-Kochi another 4-5hours.

Quote:
Bangalore-Munnar-Kochi - Same as above + visit a family at Adimaly

I am now, more inclined towards Munnar route.
This should be the easiest as excellent roads till Dindigul and then the route through Theni-Bodi-Munnar is also good,though ghats,but still easily doable as traffic is not crazy as in the other routes.
Old 23rd June 2011, 16:12   #2409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Batheri to Kozhikode has dense traffic ,do it if you are prepared for a long drive.Thamarasserry isnt in the best of shapes either,and NH17 inside kerala can take a toll on you.Kodungallur is a big mess at the moment.Do it with a stopover,it can be convenient.

Long and tiresome route again to be done in a day as Coonoor-Mettupalayam has traffic and then Mettupalayam-CBE is messy traffic.You could go via Annur,but then again you are faced with the Avinashi traffic!Bangalore Coonoor would take around 6 hours,Coonoor Coimbatore is another 3hours and CBE-Kochi another 4-5hours.

This should be the easiest as excellent roads till Dindigul and then the route through Theni-Bodi-Munnar is also good,though ghats,but still easily doable as traffic is not crazy as in the other routes.
Yes, I should be doing it through Munnar. If its Kerala routes, I always prefer night drives but bypassing Kothamangalam and Muvattupuzha will not be an issue in day light.

I never knew that Coonoor-Mettuppalam will take 3 hrs now. I did this route at least 12 years back How about Kothagiri route? Is that too crowded?
Old 23rd June 2011, 16:21   #2410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I should be doing it through Munnar. If its Kerala routes, I always prefer night drives but bypassing Kothamangalam and Muvattupuzha will not be an issue in day light.

I never knew that Coonoor-Mettuppalam will take 3 hrs now. I did this route at least 12 years back How about Kothagiri route? Is that too crowded?
Sorry I meant Coonoor-CBE would take you three hours.Kothagiri route is good and less traffic as compared to Mettupalayam road,but I dont think you would have any great savings in terms of time.
Old 23rd June 2011, 18:13   #2411
Team-BHP Support

No point taking the Ooty-CBE. Apaty from the distance, all kinds of buses come at you on the NH67. Once you are over that shock, welcome to the next one. CBE-Trichur NH47!

Munnar is the best option. Yes Muvattupuzha and Kothamangalam is very easy to cross even during day times and NH49 is typically good.
Old 23rd June 2011, 18:25   #2412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Coimbatore L&T bypass by 130-2pm.Palakkad(Chandranagar-Aaryas turning)by 0315pm, from there do not take the NH47,instead go via Ottapalam-Shoranur-Wadakancheri-Thrissur.
Has anyone tried the Ottapalam-Mayannur-Chelakkara-Wadakancheri route? The Mayannur bridge was opened recently, reported this route is better and shorter than the one via Shoranur.

Kulappully-Shoranur was a big mess, so is Wadakanchery - especially around Ottupara, and the Level cross near Wadakanchery Railway Stn.
Old 23rd June 2011, 19:35   #2413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Has anyone tried the Ottapalam-Mayannur-Chelakkara-Wadakancheri route? The Mayannur bridge was opened recently, reported this route is better and shorter than the one via Shoranur.

Kulappully-Shoranur was a big mess, so is Wadakanchery - especially around Ottupara, and the Level cross near Wadakanchery Railway Stn.
Mayannur-Chelakara-Vazhakode(this is the point where the Shoranur road and the chelakara roads meet) is a very narrow road with a lot of private bus traffic(buses which go to Tiruvilamala & Pazhyannur),I would definitely vouch for the Shoranur route from Palakkad.

If you do want to come via Chelakara from Palakkad,then the best option is to come till Alathur on NH47 and then take the route that goes through Alathur town and continue onwards via Plazhi-Pazhyannur-Chelakara.

I am not sure which route you are referring to,I am hoping you took the Shoranur bypass road from Kulapully which lands directly onto the railway overbridge junction before Cheruthuruthy bridge.This completely avoids Shoranur town and is a pretty good road and with less traffic.

Overall the ottapalam route is any day better than the chelakara route.Mayannur-Chelakkara Road is also pretty narrow,the route is good for people who would want to go to Pazhyannur-Alathur-Vadakkencheri etc.
Old 23rd June 2011, 19:46   #2414
BHPian

Quote:
Good decision,it simply isnt worth driving through nilambur or through Batheri for places beyond Calicut towards Kochi.I too took the Nilambur route a couple of times to "enjoy" the scenic drives,but have decided no more as driving through Kerala is simply too hectic and very very time consuming.The left leg at the end of the drive is so very sore with all that clutch work that you literally feel like having a knee transplant at the end of the drive,not to mention about the fuel consumption!

With a 6am departure from Richmond town,you should ideally reach Salem GRT by 10am latest.

Coimbatore L&T bypass by 130-2pm.Palakkad(Chandranagar-Aaryas turning)by 0315pm, from there do not take the NH47,instead go via Ottapalam-Shoranur-Wadakancheri-Thrissur.Via this route you should be back on NH47 after Mannuthy by 5pm.From there on you should be at Edappally by 6pm thanks to the 4laning that has been completed between Mannuthy & Kochi.
A query here. From wadakancheri do we need to come through the city to reah Mannuthy? Or is there any road to avoid the city and reach Mannuthy?

Last edited by Soccerfan : 23rd June 2011 at 19:50.
Old 23rd June 2011, 20:31   #2415
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Soccerfan;2403440]
Quote:

quote]

A query here. From wadakancheri do we need to come through the city to reah Mannuthy? Or is there any road to avoid the city and reach Mannuthy?
Not sure what your query is,I am assuming you meant coming through Thrissur town?You will need to come through Wadakancheri Town and continue on the Thrissur road,then take the Patturaikal Bypass and continue on the outskirts of Thrissur to join East Fort Junction,go straight at the junction,left would take you to Mannuthy,instead go straight and go past Jubilee Medical College and keep following the road and you would join the NH47 under a flyover- a few meters before the NHAI Toll gate.Once on NH47,take a right towards Kochi by going under the flyover.Left would take you to Mannuthy.This way you would avoid Mannuthy traffic as well as you would join the NH47 around 10-12 kms after Mannuthy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks