Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2011, 12:35   #2476
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

About 10 kms stretch near Kuthiran Ghat is in very bad shape and can damage the car. The traffic too in this stretch is bad convoy due to very slow moving traffic.
Old 4th July 2011, 13:57   #2477
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Iam planning a Thrissur-Kollam drive this weekend. Anyone have driven in this stretch recently? How is road condition particularly in Cherthala-Kollam stretch? Thanks in advance
I did Chertalla-Changacherry two weeks back. There are huge potholes in this stretch. These are really huge and was in news last week stating the pathetic road conditions in and around Alleppey.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 15:38   #2478
Senior - BHPian

I did Ernakulam-Ranni and back on 2nd July.

1. Ernakulam-Thalayolapparambu-Ettumanoor-Palai-Ponkunnam-Manilama-Ranni
Road near Thalayolaparambu (3-4kms near DB College) is in bad shape.
Thalayolaparambu-Ettumanoor-Palai (excellent)
Pala - Ponkunnam - OK with some rough surfaces
Ponkunnam-Manimala-Ranni - Narrow but ok road.

2. Ranni-Kodangur (?) - KK Road - Manarcaud - Ettumanoor : Usual village road, no serious issues potholes anywhere.
Old 4th July 2011, 18:16   #2479
BHPian

Quote:
Iam planning a Thrissur-Kollam drive this weekend. Anyone have driven in this stretch recently? How is road condition particularly in Cherthala-Kollam stretch? Thanks in advance
Road is bad from kalavoor till punnapra. bad from haripad till karunagapally.
rest is good
Soccerfan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 19:45   #2480
BHPian

Have a plan to go to Quilon during August/September on a family function. Thought I could make use of this opportunity to cover Guruvayoor, Chottanikara, Mannarsala temples- enroute to Kollam.

I have the below route in mind. Please suggest if there needs any changes in terms of well maintained roads/good food joints.
Chennai - CBE - Pallakad - Ottapallam - Guruvayoor
GVR - Trissur - Ernakulam - Chotanikarai
Ernakulam - Allepey - Haripad
Haripad - Chertala - Kollam
Old 4th July 2011, 19:53   #2481
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanan.skr View Post
Have a plan to go to Quilon during August/September on a family function. Thought I could make use of this opportunity to cover Guruvayoor, Chottanikara, Mannarsala temples- enroute to Kollam.

I have the below route in mind. Please suggest if there needs any changes in terms of well maintained roads/good food joints.
Chennai-GVR : Chennai-Trichy-Dindigul-Palani-Udumalpet-Pollachi-Meenakshipuram-Koduvayur-Alathur-Pazhayannur-Wadakacherry-Kunnamkulam-GVR

(Pollachi-GVR is Ranjit special. !) Gives you the best route.

Chennai, Tamil Nadu to Guruvayoor, Kerala - Google Maps

GVR-Ernakulam is correct. I dont know much about the other two sections.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 20:20   #2482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanan.skr View Post
You need not go to Ernakulam to proceed from Guruvayur to Chottanikkara. You have the following options:

1. Guruvayur-Kunnamkulam-Thrissur-Thalore-Chalakkudy-Ankamaly-Aluva-Kalamassery-Kakkanad-Irumpanam-Thiruvankulam-Chottanikara.

Alternatively,
2. Guruvayur-Kodungallur-Parur-Aluva... then same as above.
3. Guruvayur-Kodungallur-Parur-Varapuzha-Kalamassery-Kakkanad-Irumpanam-Chottanikara.

The 2nd and 3rd routes mean you have to battle a very congested road from Kodungallur onwards. Guruvayur-Kodungallur is decent, but Kodungallur-Parur is in horrible shape now - roads are torn everywhere.

Kunnamkulam-Thrissur sees very heavy traffic, though.
Old 4th July 2011, 20:27   #2483
Team-BHP Support

Binai, Why Kunnamkulam? He can directly come to Chondal right?

Also I had a question on the route to Chotanikara temple. I thought it was easy to drive on NH47 all the way and by-pass
Ernakulam and enter Tripunithura and reach Thiruvankulam.

Is that not an easy thing? I did that stretch 2 years back. Then traffic on NH47 was kinf of manageable. How is it today? I have no idea.
Old 4th July 2011, 21:15   #2484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Binai, Why Kunnamkulam? He can directly come to Chondal right?
True. Any route taken, GVR-Thrissur is a pain during the day. This is one reason why I always suggest NH17 to anyone who asks for a suggestion - Its much better to take the GVR-Vatanappally-Thrissur route - traffic is on the lower side, but the road is a strict two-laner.

Quote:
Also I had a question on the route to Chotanikara temple. I thought it was easy to drive on NH47 all the way and by-pass
NH47 - the traffic depends a lot on the time of the day one travels - Aluva-Edappally-Vyttila is a breeze during afternoon hours, but is a pain during morning/evening hours.

Quote:
Is that not an easy thing? I did that stretch 2 years back. Then traffic on NH47 was kinf of manageable. How is it today? I have no idea.
More than NH47, the Vyttila-Pettah-Tripunithura section is a royal mess. The road is too narrow at places, and the traffic has grown many folds.

I'd suggest the Seaport-Airport road anyday - not that the road is empty, but its much better than taking the bypass.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 21:15   #2485
BHPian

I am planning to drive to bangalore on friday. Seeing the posts on the condition of roads from Thrissur-Palakkad (NH 47), I'm planning to take the shornur->Ottappalam route to Palakkad. We are planning to start from EKM by 3. What would be a good place for dinner (around 8-9 PM)?
Old 4th July 2011, 21:26   #2486
BHPian

Quote:
Kalamassery-Kakkanad-Irumpanam-Thiruvankulam-Chottanikara is shorter than continuing on NH47. And it should be the preferred route anytime of the day.
Twiny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 14:55   #2487
BHPian

Planning to drive to Kochi this friday.. start time would be around 4pm from Bangalore.
Thinking of taking, Salem - Perundurai - Kangeyam - Palladam - Pollachi - Valparai - Chalakkudy route.

Guess I reach Pollachi by 11pm, but never traveled in Pollachi-Valparai-Chalakkudy route.
Has this stretch got enough sign boards and can it be done in 3hrs time, safely?

Last edited by Twiny : 5th July 2011 at 14:58.
Old 5th July 2011, 15:30   #2488
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
Planning to drive to Kochi this friday.. start time would be around 4pm from Bangalore.
Thinking of taking, Salem - Perundurai - Kangeyam - Palladam - Pollachi - Valparai - Chalakkudy route.

Guess I reach Pollachi by 11pm, but never traveled in Pollachi-Valparai-Chalakkudy route.
Has this stretch got enough sign boards and can it be done in 3hrs time, safely?
I would say not worth it for the night drive. Facilities and directions would be limited.
Thought its one straight narrow road from Valparai to Chalakudy.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 15:30   #2489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
I am planning to drive to bangalore on friday. Seeing the posts on the condition of roads from Thrissur-Palakkad (NH 47), I'm planning to take the shornur->Ottappalam route to Palakkad. We are planning to start from EKM by 3. What would be a good place for dinner (around 8-9 PM)?
You may reach Palghat by 7 30-8 00, if you go by Shornur-Ottappalam. Hotel Aryas in Chandranagar,Palghat is good, but a bit costly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post

I did Chalakudy-Valaprai-Pollachi-Palghat-Thrissur last sunday. Valparai-Vazhachal stretch is closed for traffic after 6PM. Roads are good. Far better than Wadakkanchery-Pattikkad stretch of National Hellway 47.

Last edited by Eddy : 5th July 2011 at 16:29. Reason: Back to back posts
Old 5th July 2011, 15:52   #2490
BHPian

Quote:
Valparai-Vazhachal stretch is closed for traffic after 6PM. Roads are good.
Why is it closed, due to monsoon/land slide?

Quote:
I would say not worth it for the night drive. Facilities and directions would be limited.
Thanks.. Is Palladam-Pollachi-Vadakkanchery deviation too not worth in night.

Last edited by Eddy : 5th July 2011 at 16:28. Reason: Back to back posts

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks