Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2011, 04:26   #2566
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak916 View Post
I have gone to Lakkidi twice in June and about 4-5 times to calicut in the last 1 year. Other that the land slides and the trees obstructing the road in places due to heavy rain, I dint find anything to warrant looking for an alternate route.

The one pain part is the wayanad-calicut ghat and the horrible (unpredictible) traffic. You could get stuck for eternity if you are out of luck.

I have done this route on a Bullet, Zen and Scorpio and found nothing out of the ordinary in terms of road conditions. not to say that they were magic carpet rides or something but defintiely not as bad as other kerala roads.
My experience has been more or less the same. The last I travelled to Calicut was in the first week of July, and unless the road has deteriorated considerably over the last 1 month (which is not impossible by the way - considering the Kerala monsoons), the road is nowhere as bad as what it was at the same time last year.

But then if one is travelling to Calicut and don't need to go via Wayanad, reports from other travellers in TBHP indicate that the Gundlupet - Gudalur- Nilambur-Calicut route is in better shape, so it may be worth a try.
Old 11th August 2011, 06:22   #2567
Senior - BHPian

Condition of NH47 Between Palakkad - Thrissur

Hi,

I am planning to drive to Vaikom o Aug 13th. Any update on condition of NH 47 between Palakkad and Thrissur? I will be driving solo and hence asking directions would take more time if I try alternate routes. I don't mind 6-7 KMs of very bad roads. I will be reaching Palakkad by around 11:00 AM.

Thanks.
Old 11th August 2011, 11:30   #2568
Senior - BHPian

Re: Condition of NH47 Between Palakkad - Thrissur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Hi,

I am planning to drive to Vaikom o Aug 13th. Any update on condition of NH 47 between Palakkad and Thrissur? I will be driving solo and hence asking directions would take more time if I try alternate routes. I don't mind 6-7 KMs of very bad roads. I will be reaching Palakkad by around 11:00 AM.

Thanks.
Hey Pramod, what time are you planning to start?
I am also going to Kochi maybe tomorrow evening or Saturday morning (yet to decide)
Old 11th August 2011, 12:07   #2569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Hey Pramod, what time are you planning to start?
I am also going to Kochi maybe tomorrow evening or Saturday morning (yet to decide)

I am planning to start at 4:30 AM. Please PM me if you would like to join.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 12:41   #2570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to start at 4:30 AM. Please PM me if you would like to join.
Certainly I will PM you if we can go together.

I also prefer an early morning start instead of night travel since I will be driving with my father.
Old 11th August 2011, 12:58   #2571
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks.
Palakkad to Thrissur is the usual bad and congested as always. I was there in April-may. I have been to kochi twice after that but never on this route. Even if I am driving to Kochi in a big car/suv, I prefer to detour from Perundurai -Pollachi - vadakancherry. The road after Avinashi till Thrissur is a pain to drive on and highly stressful with the bright yellow/orange dvd coaches (in TN) and milk/toddy vans in KL.

The detour I usually take is a narrow road but relatively pot-hole free and 1/4th the NH traffic and a lot less stressful till vadakancherry. It is not very difficult to find your way.. Just stop and ask for directions at palladam and Pollachi and make sure you ask 2-3 different people at 500 meter intervals at these junctions since I have noticed that people usually point straight ahead if they dont know the route
Old 11th August 2011, 13:10   #2572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I am planning to drive to Calicut this weekend via Waynad ghat route. Can anyone of you help me with the latest condition of the roads?
I am doing this exactly after a year and last time when I drove, the waynad ghats were in the most deplorable states and had a real tough time maneuvering the ANHC over the non-existent roads, specially at the hairpin bends.
I wouldn't mind a detour provided the road is good.
Why dont you go via Gundulpet-Gudalur-Nilambur-Kozhikode.The roads are very good and lesser traffic as opposed to the batheri route.
Old 11th August 2011, 14:49   #2573
BHPian

I am planning Bangalore - Palakkad on 13th August Saturday with my family.

How is the road condition, mainly the Avinashi to Palakkad stretch? I assume the 4 lane route before that is good, at least it was good when we last travelled in May 2011.

Anyone who has travelled recently if they can share the latest feedbacks, and also any alternative / diversions based on your experience.

I will be driving my Honda City, poor ground clearance - thats my main worry

Cheers
narayanang76
Old 11th August 2011, 15:43   #2574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
I am planning Bangalore - Palakkad on 13th August Saturday with my family.

How is the road condition, mainly the Avinashi to Palakkad stretch? I assume the 4 lane route before that is good, at least it was good when we last travelled in May 2011.

Anyone who has travelled recently if they can share the latest feedbacks, and also any alternative / diversions based on your experience.

I will be driving my Honda City, poor ground clearance - thats my main worry

Cheers
narayanang76
I will be traveling exactly the same stretch tomorrow i.e, 12th August will update you once i reach Palakkad. Have also sent you a PM.
Old 11th August 2011, 16:19   #2575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Thanks for the pics Jain. How is the Thrissur-Palghat stretch? Only Kuthiran section bad? Am driving on 11th August to Blore.

Planing to start at 4.30am from Cochin.
Please update the road conditions.
Thanks in advance.
Old 11th August 2011, 17:23   #2576
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, here's an update. Did Cochin - Bangalore today morning.

Cochin - Thrissur = Good
Thrissur - vadakancherry = Horrible. I drove at 20 km/hr max for around 25 kms at 5AM. This section really really really bad.
vadakancherry - Palghat = OK but watch out for some really huge potholes

Kuthiran = As usual, pretty bad but great when compared to Thrissur - vadakancherry stretch.

After that it's excellent except for the 4 laning at Avinashi - Salem stretch but roads are good.

As always, buses between Thrissur - Palghat and Salem - Coimbatore will test your nerves.

Also since it's raining the roads are really slippery.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 19:07   #2577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Guys, here's an update. Did Cochin - Bangalore today morning.

Cochin - Thrissur = Good
Thrissur - vadakancherry = Horrible. I drove at 20 km/hr max for around 25 kms at 5AM. This section really really really bad.
vadakancherry - Palghat = OK but watch out for some really huge potholes

Kuthiran = As usual, pretty bad but great when compared to Thrissur - vadakancherry stretch.

After that it's excellent except for the 4 laning at Avinashi - Salem stretch but roads are good.

As always, buses between Thrissur - Palghat and Salem - Coimbatore will test your nerves.

Also since it's raining the roads are really slippery.

Thanks for the information. Could you update the total time taken to cover Thrissur Palakkad? Would it be better during daytime? Do you recommend alternate routes?
Old 11th August 2011, 19:32   #2578
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the information. Could you update the total time taken to cover Thrissur Palakkad? Would it be better during daytime? Do you recommend alternate routes?
It took around 2 hours. NO NIGHT DRIVES BETWEEN THRISSUR - PALGHAT GUYS! It's horrible. I had no choice since I had to start early. I will be able to see this next week when I return from Blore.

Many have taken alternate routes but you wont be able to save time I guess as they suggested. BEWARE, thrissur - Vadakanchery is completely destroyed. It's kinda off roading. I think so since my car is running on low profile tires. Had one hard time here.

Blore to Salem = avg 120-140 kmph
Salem to Palghat = avg 100
Palghat to Thrissur = 5-20 kmph?

Atleast 15-20 kms of off roading.

Last edited by naveen.raju : 11th August 2011 at 19:34.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 21:53   #2579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Thanks Dhanush. So the state of affairs isn't any different then. Any alternative routes you suggest. My ultimate destination will be north of Caliclut (Kappad).
Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
But then if one is travelling to Calicut and don't need to go via Wayanad, reports from other travellers in TBHP indicate that the Gundlupet - Gudalur- Nilambur-Calicut route is in better shape, so it may be worth a try.
Agree with Kala. I did the Thrisur-Kottakal-Nilambur-Gudalur-Mysore-Bglore route on 3rd Aug. Great road and very little traffic. Also very beautiful route thru the Nilambur-Mudumalai-Bandipur section.
Old 14th August 2011, 12:34   #2580
BHPian

Slightly OT.

Can anybody suggest the route from Thrissur to Srikalahasti temple(AP).
How are the road conditions? And can this drive be done in a single stretch?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks