Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2011, 10:58   #2596
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
I think you guys are talking about this?

Attachment 594254
I think this is another accident. In my case, the lorry didn't overturn. It just fell into a big pothole and wheel broke down.
Old 17th August 2011, 11:10   #2597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
I think you guys are talking about this?

Started re surfacing Kuthiran and have temporarily laid few section between Thrissur - Vadakanchery.

Attachment 594254
I did not see the truck that overturned but I think this is a different one as such incidents are now very common in this route. Good to know that they started road work.
Old 17th August 2011, 14:18   #2598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Got a question, is it still possible to byepass Trissur town while taking the Shoranur road by joining Mannuthy end of NH47? Is it worth?
Yes this has already been discussed earlier as well.

Towards Ekm this is the route to bypass thrissur town.also at palakkad,from chandranagar,after the IOC petrol pump,take a right and head to olavakkod and then onto mundur and to shoranur.this way you bypass palakkad town as well.

Palakkad, Kerala to Chalakudy, Kerala - Google Maps
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 12:11   #2599

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Did a Kodungallur-Kasaragod drive over the weekend.
============It took over an hour to cover about 5kms! Bad roads plus the traffic made life miserable!
How much time did you take reach Thalassery ?
I have plan to go to coorg on 1st Sept. Starting point is Muvattupuzha.
What would be suggested route to coorg ?
Since Muvattupuzha - Thrissur road is good, I am thinking of taking that route to connect to Calicut. But not sure where to deviate from NH47 to calicut Road
Old 23rd August 2011, 12:59   #2600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asifpm View Post
Since Muvattupuzha - Thrissur road is good, I am thinking of taking that route to connect to Calicut. But not sure where to deviate from NH47 to calicut Road
If you are not familiar with Thrissur, come to Mannuthy Bypass Jn(from where Thrissur-Palakkad NH47 section starts) take left turn and thereafter there are enough sign boards for Calicut directions
Old 23rd August 2011, 14:02   #2601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
If you are not familiar with Thrissur, come to Mannuthy Bypass Jn(from where Thrissur-Palakkad NH47 section starts) take left turn and thereafter there are enough sign boards for Calicut directions
I know Mannuthy Bypass Jn. Going to calicut what would be the route (Kunnunkulam, kuttippuram, .. )and how is the road condition
Old 23rd August 2011, 15:25   #2602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How much time did you take reach Thalassery ?
I have plan to go to coorg on 1st Sept. Starting point is Muvattupuzha.
It took me about 4 hours to reach Thalassery from Kodungallur. But remember that this happened very early in the morning - I started off at 4, and was around Thalassery by 8~8.30. I lost a lot of time that day due to a traffic jam.

If you would be driving during day hours, it should take about 5~6 hours from Thrissur.

Quote:
What would be suggested route to coorg ?
Instead of going via Thalassery, I'd suggest trying Kozhikode-Kuttyadi-Manathavadi-Gonikoppa-Virajpet-Madikeri. I think that would be shorter and better than running through Thalassery-Koothuparamba-Madikeri.

Quote:
Its simple. After the first Toll Gate on NH-47 (after Chalakkudy. You'll also see the Pudukkad KSRTC Bus station on the right a while before the toll gate), take a left under the first flyover.

I.e., after the toll gate, do not take the flyover. Go below the flyover and take left. This place is called Thalore. You'll travel through Ollur to reach Thrissur. From Thrissur proceed via the KSRTC bus station to enter Guruvayur road. Except heavy traffic if you are traveling during the day.
Old 23rd August 2011, 16:08   #2603

Quote:

Instead of going via Thalassery, I'd suggest trying Kozhikode-Kuttyadi-Manathavadi-Gonikoppa-Virajpet-Madikeri. I think that would be shorter and better than running through Thalassery-Koothuparamba-Madikeri.

Its simple. After the first Toll Gate on NH-47 (after Chalakkudy. You'll also see the Pudukkad KSRTC Bus station on the right a while before the toll gate), take a left under the first flyover.

I.e., after the toll gate, do not take the flyover. Go below the flyover and take left. This place is called Thalore. You'll travel through Ollur to reach Thrissur. From Thrissur proceed via the KSRTC bus station to enter Guruvayur road. Except heavy traffic if you are traveling during the day.
Is this your suggestion via Mathavadi : Kozhikkode - Vythiri – Kalpetta - Mananthavadi – Kattikulam (Turn left towards Kutta) – Kutta –
Ponnampet – Gonikoppal – Polibetta - Siddapura

Reaching Thrissur town via Ollur will hit lots of circles, most of the time I lost the way !!

Quote:
If you would be driving during day hours, it should take about 5~6 hours from Thrissur.
We plan to start much early atleast by 4AM or even earlier so that we can reach Thrissur by 5.30.
Old 23rd August 2011, 16:34   #2604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is this your suggestion via Mathavadi : Kozhikkode - Vythiri – Kalpetta - Mananthavadi – Kattikulam (Turn left towards Kutta) – Kutta –
No. My suggestion is Kozhikode-Atholi-Kuttyadi-Thottilpalam-Mananthavady .. the remaining is as you said. I heard the Kozhikode-Kalpetta section is in poor shape now.

Quote:
Reaching Thrissur town via Ollur will hit lots of circles, most of the time I lost the way !!
How come? You'll hit only one circle! The Sakthan Nagar circle. Keep going straight at this place, and you'll reach Kokkalai. Keep going straight, and then right. You run close to KSRTC Bus Station - take a left and you reach Poothole. Take a left at Poothole - the route is well marked after that.

Check this link. I've marked the route from Chalakudi to Kunnamkulam via Thalore-Sakthan-Poothole. This route has some poor roads - but when compared with the fact that you beat the traffic on Thrissur Round, the bad roads can be apologised.

However, given that you would be driving through at 5:30 in the morning, I doubt if you would get any traffic blocks at all!!
Old 23rd August 2011, 20:00   #2605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
No. My suggestion is Kozhikode-Atholi-Kuttyadi-Thottilpalam-Mananthavady .. the remaining is as you said. I heard the Kozhikode-Kalpetta section is in poor shape now.
I haven't travelled the Kuttyadi route, so not sure about the condition, but Thamarassery ghats to Kalpetta is indeed in bad shape.

Which is your final destination in Coorg ? Is it Siddapura ? The roads in South Coorg are in pretty bad shape - so Kutta to Gonikoppal may be troublesome. You might want to check out the thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...fo-needed.html to get more information on roads in Coorg - there are quite a few recent reports in that thread that describe the current conditions of various routes through Coorg.
Old 24th August 2011, 07:42   #2606
BHPian

If the final destination is Siddapura, (any place in coorg, other than kutta, Ponnammed, or Gonikkoppal) the best is Calicut - Thalassery - Koothuparamba - Iritty - Makkutta - Virajpet - Ammathi - Siddapura route. Please remember coorg roads are not great roads to drive, you will encounter big potholes every 2kms stretch even in their best conditions..!!! Please see that Kutta - Gonikkoppal roads are not in good condition.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 24th August 2011, 07:52   #2607

[quote=binaiks;2478505]It took me about 4 hours to reach Thalassery from Kodungallur. But remember that this happened very early in the morning - I started off at 4, and was around Thalassery by 8~8.30. I lost a lot of time that day due to a traffic jam.

Quote:
Thanks for this new route. Let me ponder more on this.

Quote:
How come? You'll hit only one circle! The Sakthan Nagar circle. Keep going straight at this place, and you'll reach Kokkalai. Keep going straight, and then right. You run close to KSRTC Bus Station - take a left and you reach Poothole. Take a left at Poothole - the route is well marked after that.
I will try out this route
Old 24th August 2011, 07:56   #2608

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
I haven't travelled the Kuttyadi route, so not sure about the condition, but Thamarassery ghats to Kalpetta is indeed in bad shape.

Which is your final destination in Coorg ? Is it Siddapura ? The roads in South Coorg are in pretty bad shape - so Kutta to Gonikoppal may be troublesome. You might want to check out the thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...fo-needed.html to get more information on roads in Coorg - there are quite a few recent reports in that thread that describe the current conditions of various routes through Coorg.
My final destination is Siddapura, Orange County. Looks like all the routes leading to Siddapura are in bad shape
Old 24th August 2011, 08:36   #2609

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
If the final destination is Siddapura, (any place in coorg, other than kutta, Ponnammed, or Gonikkoppal) the best is Calicut - Thalassery - Koothuparamba - Iritty - Makkutta - Virajpet - Ammathi - Siddapura route. Please remember coorg roads are not great roads to drive, you will encounter big potholes every 2kms stretch even in their best conditions..!!! Please see that Kutta - Gonikkoppal roads are not in good condition.

Thanks
Rajesh
After Iritty, where is Makkutta. I didnt see that in google-maps..
Bit confused in deciding a better route !

Thanks,
Asif
Old 24th August 2011, 11:34   #2610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After Iritty, where is Makkutta. I didnt see that in google-maps..
Bit confused in deciding a better route !
It is marked as Maakkoottam in Google maps. Can see it only if you zoom in quite close. Look at the road marked "Thalassery Coorg road" going north-east from Iritty (to Virajpet). The marking comes about 10 to 12 kms north of Kunnoth / Vallithode (Not sure if the marking is at the correct place though. I think it should be a little more closer to Virajpet)

Last edited by kala : 24th August 2011 at 11:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks