Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2011, 21:52   #2746
BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Hello

Any update on the Roads from Mysore to Calicut. The route i am looking for is "Mysore - Gundalpet - Sulthan Bathery - Kalpetta - Vythri - Calicut"
Old 4th October 2011, 07:48   #2747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
Thanks ranjitp1. I will take the Shoranur route since I have absolutely no time for a puncture repair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
Can anybody let me know the current condition of Thrissur - Palakkad road ? I will be travelling to Pune on 13th morning from Kochi. I am worried only about this stretch. Have they at least filled those huge potholes ?
I traveled from Kochi to Coimbatore last week in my Linea. Feared same of the notorious Palakkad stretch, and was about diverting to Shornur from Trichur, consulted local drivers.
They dissuaded me from Shornur route saying Palakkad is still not tarred, but mud-filled, but can cover bad stretch in slow driving, STILL CAN REACH FASTER THAN SHORANUR, they advised.

They were correct: barring couple of kms. it is quite ok. All big holes are filled and plyable condition.

Mostly by 13th of Oct, will be repaired, (if your stars support you !)

So I will advice Palakkad-Cbr and save lot of precious time.

AND, LINEA IS A BENCHMARK VEH. TO TEST ROAD CONDITION. I am thinking of announcing a new business of 'Road-test Report using Linea' at Diesel charges+a nominal TA. If Linea can pass,any vehicle can pass.
Sunney is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 12:15   #2748

Hi friends, i am planning a trip from Manipal, Karnataka to Kodaikanal, TamilNadu in a week or two. Since much of the route is through Kerala i would like some updates abpout the road as i am familiar with NH17 only upto Mangalore.

Im planning on taking NH17 from Udupi-Kozhikode , followed by state highways upto Pallakad - Pollachi & onwards to Kodai.

If anyone has any info, good/bad about these roads please do let me know.
Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 13:29   #2749
BHPian

Nice to know that the stretch is 'doable'. I had finalized on Shoranur stretch after talking to ranjitp1. Now I guess I will first take live update from the local drivers once I reach there and then decide on the route. Thanks for the info. I don't know why we have such badly maintained NH sections in Kerala while driving in TN highways is a revelation.
Old 4th October 2011, 15:15   #2750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshan_v_k View Post
Hello

Any update on the Roads from Mysore to Calicut. The route i am looking for is "Mysore - Gundalpet - Sulthan Bathery - Kalpetta - Vythri - Calicut"
I would suggest that you take the Gundulpet-Gudalur-Vazhikadavu-Nilambur-Areekode route to Kozhikode.Roads are better than the wayanad route and plus almost the same distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedflame View Post
Hi friends, i am planning a trip from Manipal, Karnataka to Kodaikanal, TamilNadu in a week or two. Since much of the route is through Kerala i would like some updates abpout the road as i am familiar with NH17 only upto Mangalore.

Im planning on taking NH17 from Udupi-Kozhikode , followed by state highways upto Pallakad - Pollachi & onwards to Kodai.

If anyone has any info, good/bad about these roads please do let me know.
Thanks
It is going to be a day long drive considering the bad conditions of NH17 inside kerala plus heavy traffic inside Kerala.Route is pretty straightforward,keep on NH17 till valanchery and from there divert to Koppam-Pattambi-Kulappully-Ottapalam-Palakkad-Pollachi-Palani-Kodai.The worst section is going to be Mangalore-Kasargod-Kannur-Kozhikode.Leave very early so that you can cover this distance before daytime local and private bus traffic begins.If you are able to leave Udupi by 4am nothing like it.

Ideal way to do it would be for you to leave Udupi after lunch and stay the night at Kozhikode(8-9hr drive)

Next day morning leave Kozhikode after an early breakfast to reach Kodai for lunch.This way you would be able to enjoy the scenic ghat section between Palani and Kodai,else you would be cutting it real close with darkness closing in on you by the time you begin your ghat climb in a same day drive.

On your return again,you could break journey at kozhikode and reach home at udupi for lunch next day.

Udupi-Mangalore approx 2hours (60kms)
Mangalore-Kozhikode:6hours (250kms)
Kozhikode-Palakkad:3hours (140kms)
Palakkad-Palani:2.5-3hours (120kms)
Palani-Kodai:2hours (70kms)

Mangalore, Karnataka to Kodaikanal, Tamil Nadu - Google Maps
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 15:39   #2751
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
I would suggest that you take the Gundulpet-Gudalur-Vazhikadavu-Nilambur-Areekode route to Kozhikode.Roads are better than the wayanad route and plus almost the same distance.
I returned after onam via the Wayanad route. Detailed post on the road conditions at that time can be found in this post

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2505250

As Ranjitp suggested, the Nilambur route is the better option to Calicut now. I could not take that route when returning because there were reports that the nadugani section could be closed for a day or 2 for repairs.
Old 4th October 2011, 19:39   #2752
BHPian

Hello Ranjitp1 & Rajeevraj

Thanks for the update guys. I have some work in Kunnamangalam (Calicut) so do you guys think that I take Gundulpet-Gudalur-Vazhikadavu-Nilambur-Areekode-Mukkan-REC (NIIT) and then reach Kunnamangalam and them proceed to Calicut.

And the the next Leg of the journey will be Calicut to Guruvayoor. Any idea on the this leg of the route.

Will try the
Old 4th October 2011, 20:16   #2753
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the update guys. I have some work in Kunnamangalam (Calicut) so do you guys think that I take Gundulpet-Gudalur-Vazhikadavu-Nilambur-Areekode-Mukkan-REC (NIIT) and then reach Kunnamangalam and them proceed to Calicut.
And the the next Leg of the journey will be Calicut to Guruvayoor. Any idea on the this leg of the route.
Have not traveled the section from Areekode to Mukkam, so not sure if it would be still beneficial to take the nilambur route.

Calicut Guruvayoor is a standard route. Calicut-University-Valanchery-Kuttipuram-Edapal- Kunnamkulam- Guruvayoor. Roads are very good. But be prepared for high traffic especially in the Calicut-Valanchery stretch. Also watch out for private buses driven in formula 1 style
Old 4th October 2011, 20:57   #2754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Can anyone, esp. ranjitp, provide me detailed information on the best route as of now (route conditions and hotels for food-breaks enroute) from the following 3 places for different relatives to drive to Kollengode on the occasion of a family function?
1) Chamravattom (near Tirur)
2) Valanchery
3) Kozhikode (for this, please suggest a couple of good alternatives as well if possible)
Took upon major part of driving myself (and meeting/picking relatives on the way too) and did the following 5 long trips in the last 4 days:
1) Bangalore->Mysore->Sulthan Bathery->Calicut : no improvements or deteriorations in Wayanad ghats yet but Bathery->Kalpetta stretch seems to get some patch work soon
2) Calicut->Tirur->Chamravattom/Alathiyur->Tirunnavaya->Kuttipuram->Akkikkavu->Ottuppara Jn->Vazhacode Jn->Alathur->Kollengode : good roads throughout except a couple of kms before Kuttipuram and the last 1 km before Ottuppara Jn. Interestingly, when I stopped my car at Alathur (just where you cross NH-47) for a tea-break and make some calls on mobile, a couple of taxi drivers voluntarily advised me to avoid going to Vadakkanchery->Thrissur and instead go via Wadakkanchery as I casually enquired about the NH-47 conditions !
3) Same day return taking route Kollengode->Alathur->Pazhayannur->Mayannur->Ottappalam->Kulappully->Pattambi-> (took first right, believe it to be Pattambi->Maruthur->Cherpulassery route, as Pattambi->Koppam is reportedly too bad now) -> left after about 6 kms near Maruthur where Valayamkavu->Koppam was about 8 kms of good road-> Dinner@Nakshatra@Koppam -> Valanchery->Kottakkal->Calicut : overall just about a couple of kms on Koppam->Valanchery had some issues (near Thiruvegapura temple) due to some digging works
4) Calicut->Angadipuram/Perinthalmanna->Calicut : as usual, NH-213 is great even though heavy traffic but we took just about 75 minutes one-way !
5) Calicut->MedicalCollege->Areekode->Nilambur->Gudalur->Gundlupet->Mysore->Bangalore : Lots of places where repair due to landslides happening on the ghat section. Nanjangud->Mysore->Srirangapatnam had heavy traffic. The Nanjangud->Mysore stretch is full of lorries, both running and parked on either side of the road.. so expect about 45-minutes for this 22 kms now.

Anyone interested in more details?

@Roshan_v_k : Nilambur->Areekode is in great condition. I had advised and asifpm had taken Areekode->Mukkam recently and reported to be good. But, even though good, Nilambur ghats is a bit unpredictable because of repair works happening and hence perhaps expect one-way traffic alternatively on either directions during the repair.

Last edited by ajithbr : 4th October 2011 at 21:02.
Old 4th October 2011, 21:54   #2755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The Areekode-Thamarassery stretch is still in good shape as per reports seen here, and so you should be ok till Mukkam. From there to NIIT / Kunnamangalam is only 15 kms, and that road has generallybeen decent, so I wouldn't worry much about it.

Calicut-Guruvayur : NH17 between Calicut and Edappal is in good shape, and so is the Edappal-Kunnamkulam stretch. So I think it'd be better to go via Kunnamkulam instead of using NH17 all along (via Ponnani-Chavakkad)
Old 4th October 2011, 22:18   #2756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Have not traveled the section from Areekode to Mukkam, so not sure if it would be still beneficial to take the nilambur route.

Calicut Guruvayoor is a standard route. Calicut-University-Valanchery-Kuttipuram-Edapal- Kunnamkulam- Guruvayoor. Roads are very good. But be prepared for high traffic especially in the Calicut-Valanchery stretch. Also watch out for private buses driven in formula 1 style
Hello

Thanks Rajeevraj.

The Aeekode to Mukkam road have all ways been good.

I traveled on this stretch about 2 years back and that time the road was bad from Kuttipuram-Edapal and mainly after the kuttipuram bridge and the engineering collage "Keltron" hope this is name not very sure.

But any way thank, will keep you posted on the drive once i get back to Hyderabad.
Old 4th October 2011, 22:22   #2757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
The Areekode-Thamarassery stretch is still in good shape as per reports seen here, and so you should be ok till Mukkam. From there to NIIT / Kunnamangalam is only 15 kms, and that road has generallybeen decent, so I wouldn't worry much about it.

Calicut-Guruvayur : NH17 between Calicut and Edappal is in good shape, and so is the Edappal-Kunnamkulam stretch. So I think it'd be better to go via Kunnamkulam instead of using NH17 all along (via Ponnani-Chavakkad)

Hi Kala

Thank buddy. My worry was the Kuttipuram-Edappal stretch.
Old 4th October 2011, 22:34   #2758
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Kala

Thank buddy. My worry was the Kuttipuram-Edappal stretch.
SH-69 is super smooth now, perhaps one of the best roads in Kerala alongwith Palakkad-Ottappalam-Kulappully-Pattambi stretch. I took just 35 minutes from Kuttippuram to Akkikkavu (about 5 kms from Kunnamkulam) last weekend on a family trip. And about 2 hrs 15 min for Calicut->Guruvayur last month and the road conditions are still excellently the same except a reasonably big pot-hole just after Kuttippuram bridge towards Guruvayur.
ajithbr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 23:54   #2759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post

It is going to be a day long drive considering the bad conditions of NH17 inside kerala plus heavy traffic inside Kerala.Route is pretty straightforward,keep on NH17 till valanchery and from there divert to Koppam-Pattambi-Kulappully-Ottapalam-Palakkad-Pollachi-Palani-Kodai.The worst section is going to be Mangalore-Kasargod-Kannur-Kozhikode.Leave very early so that you can cover this distance before daytime local and private bus traffic begins.If you are able to leave Udupi by 4am nothing like it.

Ideal way to do it would be for you to leave Udupi after lunch and stay the night at Kozhikode(8-9hr drive)

Next day morning leave Kozhikode after an early breakfast to reach Kodai for lunch.This way you would be able to enjoy the scenic ghat section between Palani and Kodai,else you would be cutting it real close with darkness closing in on you by the time you begin your ghat climb in a same day drive.

On your return again,you could break journey at kozhikode and reach home at udupi for lunch next day.

Udupi-Mangalore approx 2hours (60kms)
Mangalore-Kozhikode:6hours (250kms)
Kozhikode-Palakkad:3hours (140kms)
Palakkad-Palani:2.5-3hours (120kms)
Palani-Kodai:2hours (70kms)

Mangalore, Karnataka to Kodaikanal, Tamil Nadu - Google Maps

Very optimistic :-)

People seem to be taking 6 hours from Talipparamba to Ramanattukara(12 kms after Calicut) these days and you budgetted just 6 hours for MAQ->CLT.

I am not sure but think Manipal->Hassan->Mysore->Nanjangud->Sathyamangalam->Avinashi->Palladam->Palani will be less stressful and more scenic drive with an additional 80 kms and same driving times though. Except Charmadi & Dimbham ghats and Mysore->Nanjangud section, you can drive fast too.

There is in fact a KSRTC bus that takes the route Mangalore->Madikeri->Mysore->Sathyamangalam->Erode->Karur->Madurai and that bus just flies except the 2 ghat sections (Dimbham and Sampaje) and heard it takes about 16 hours only when Madikeri->Mangalore section was in good condition. We can check with KarnakataSRTC website/officials and confirm this though :-)

Last edited by ajithbr : 4th October 2011 at 23:55.
Old 5th October 2011, 10:02   #2760
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
2) Calicut->Tirur->Chamravattom/Alathiyur->Tirunnavaya->Kuttipuram->Akkikkavu->Ottuppara Jn->Vazhacode Jn->Alathur->Kollengode : good roads throughout except a couple of kms before Kuttipuram and the last 1 km before Ottuppara Jn. .
Ajith, Has the Alathiyur-Tirunavaya-kuttipuram stretch been repaired? It is a stretch that has always been bad and last I heard even private bus operators were refusing to run on that route.

Most Viewed