Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2011, 10:43   #2791
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
Thanks. Still undecided about the route.

I have taken NH47 'x' number of times vs MC road 2-3 times.
Somehow i like the MC road better, but time taken is more.
May be you could take NH-47 till Ambalappuzha or Haripad and cut across to MC road (Chengannur / Pandalam) through Mannar or Mavelikkara. (Better not to take the roads that lead to Changanacherry (SH11) or the one to Thiruvalla. Thiruvalla-Chengannur even though only 6 or 7 kms is probably the worst stretch of MC road , full of potholes and to add to the woes a narrow bridge that can create long traffic jams). The interior roads connecting NH47 to MC Road in those areas are generally well maintained though I can't vouch for the current conditions not having been there for a while now.
Old 14th October 2011, 11:04   #2792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
May be you could take NH-47 till Ambalappuzha or Haripad and cut across to MC road (Chengannur / Pandalam) through Mannar or Mavelikkara. (Better not to take the roads that lead to Changanacherry (SH11) or the one to Thiruvalla. Thiruvalla-Chengannur even though only 6 or 7 kms is probably the worst stretch of MC road , full of potholes and to add to the woes a narrow bridge that can create long traffic jams). The interior roads connecting NH47 to MC Road in those areas are generally well maintained though I can't vouch for the current conditions not having been there for a while now.
Do you practise mind-reading?

I was actually checking out these routes right now. Thought of trying Kayankulam - Adoor.
Old 14th October 2011, 11:38   #2793
BHPian

Driving to wayanad on 29th of this month from Bangalore via Mysore, Gundulpet, sulthan bathery. How is condition? Any good hotels for having food on the way?

Thanks.
Old 14th October 2011, 12:10   #2794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Driving to wayanad on 29th of this month from Bangalore via Mysore, Gundulpet, sulthan bathery. How is condition? Any good hotels for having food on the way?
Kamat Lokaruchi, just after Ramanagara town, comes on your right while going to mysore. Kamat upchar, Adigas after a little while, on your left (not sure of the exact position), Another kamat on the start of the road to nanjangud from mysore, wihtin mysore town. (comes on your left). if you are early in mysore, I think better go through the city than take the ring road. Also a CCD near Gundlupet, on your left.

We stayed at Woodlands in Kalpetta. Decent place to park, stay,eat. No resort-like ambience. Restaurent was very good. Comes on left on calicut road in kalpetta town.

Remember having read that roads are bad around Bathery. We'd been to thirunelly last week, and roads were excelent around thirunelly.

Last edited by vrvarier : 14th October 2011 at 12:13.
Old 14th October 2011, 12:15   #2795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks.
Bangalore-Wayanad is a short drive.The best place to break journeys would be at Kadambam onto your left between Blr & Mysore and then again at the CCD before Gundulpet town.There is also Mint at Sulthan Batheri (www.hotelmintflower.com), Isaac's regency is also pretty good.Road is ok.Budget for a 5-6hr drive.
Old 14th October 2011, 12:26   #2796
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrvarier View Post
Kamat Lokaruchi, just after Ramanagara town, comes on your right while going to mysore. Kamat upchar, Adigas after a little while, on your left (not sure of the exact position), Another kamat on the start of the road to nanjangud from mysore, wihtin mysore town. (comes on your left). if you are early in mysore, I think better go through the city than take the ring road. Also a CCD near Gundlupet, on your left.

We stayed at Woodlands in Kalpetta. Decent place to park, stay,eat. No resort-like ambience. Restaurent was very good. Comes on left on calicut road in kalpetta town.

Remember having read that roads are bad around Bathery. We'd been to thirunelly last week, and roads were excelent around thirunelly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Bangalore-Wayanad is a short drive.The best place to break journeys would be at Kadambam onto your left between Blr & Mysore and then again at the CCD before Gundulpet town.There is also Mint at Sulthan Batheri (www.hotelmintflower.com), Isaac's regency is also pretty good.Road is ok.Budget for a 5-6hr drive.
Thanks guys. Infact i was planning to book either in Govt Guest house or in mintflower having enquired about both of them. Thanks for that CCD hotel. Govt guest house people said no need to pay money in advance as we have booked your room! Which is good one to stay, Mintflower or Govt guest house? both are in Sulthan bathery.

Thanks,
Ramki

Last edited by ramki067 : 14th October 2011 at 12:27.
Old 14th October 2011, 12:31   #2797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys. Infact i was planning to book either in Govt Guest house or in mintflower having enquired about both of them. Thanks for that CCD hotel. Govt guest house people said no need to pay money in advance as we have booked your room! Which is good one to stay, Mintflower or Govt guest house? both are in Sulthan bathery.

Thanks,
Ramki
Mint Flower is bang on the Gundulpet road and has good rooms.No clue about the Govt Guest House.I dont expect it to be earth shatteringly good.
Old 14th October 2011, 13:26   #2798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Mint Flower is bang on the Gundulpet road and has good rooms.No clue about the Govt Guest House.I dont expect it to be earth shatteringly good.
True! Cannot expect very good/clean rooms as the rent/room is Rs.400/- for Non-AC and 550/- for an AC room. Whereas in Mintflower, they charge 1450/- with taxes and with complimentary breakfast!
Old 14th October 2011, 13:38   #2799
BHPian

Folks, can anyone suggest a good hotel b/w salem & CBE, for a night. We plan to drive to Aluva, and plan to do a split journey. Leave BLR by 4-5 pm drive for 4 hrs (till somewhere after salem) and continue next day. Read about chennis in perundurai. And its right on NH-47. Good one? Any alternatives? Decent rooms, and not away from NH are the preferences.
Old 14th October 2011, 16:01   #2800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
Do you practise mind-reading?

I was actually checking out these routes right now. Thought of trying Kayankulam - Adoor.
kayamkulam-adoor is in good condition. Make sure you take the adoor byepass just after KP road joins with MC road
Soccerfan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 18:31   #2801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrvarier View Post
Folks, can anyone suggest a good hotel b/w salem & CBE, for a night. We plan to drive to Aluva, and plan to do a split journey. Leave BLR by 4-5 pm drive for 4 hrs (till somewhere after salem) and continue next day. Read about chennis in perundurai. And its right on NH-47. Good one? Any alternatives? Decent rooms, and not away from NH are the preferences.
We drive Hyd-Thrissur regularly and we do Hyd-Salem on Day1 and Salem-Thrissur on day 2.We usually stay at GRT Estancia at Salem,right on NH7 and at the junction where you take a turn towards CBE.Excellent place,but yes definitely on the higher side.A double occupancy is at INR3000 with bf.

Chennis is not on NH47,it is off the NH at Perundurai.You need to take a left towards Perundurai town and the hotel is approx a km from NH47.Rooms are just about ok
Old 14th October 2011, 20:43   #2802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
kayamkulam-adoor is in good condition. Make sure you take the adoor byepass just after KP road joins with MC road
Thanks. The route is fixed now.

EKM-KYKLM-ADR-TVM it is.
Old 14th October 2011, 21:34   #2803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
You can alternatively take Edappally-Pukkattupady-Perumbavoor-Kothamangalam route also. may be shorter and less traffic congested route.
I got a chance to go through above route . I need to reach Amritha,Ponekkara in the Morning, from Muvattupuzha(3kms outer).
Took, Muvattupuzha-Kizhakkambalam-Pookkattupady-Edappally Route. call Me crazy for not taking NH49! Road condition from Muvattupuzha to Kizhakkambalam is OK. there are occasional potholes.
this route is slightly shorter by 5kms or so.
but, Pukkattupady Route turned out to be fast in the Morning. the condition of the road from Pookkattupady to Edappally is not so great.
The Thought I have was to avoid the Traffic from Thiruvankulam and then Thrippunithura and again NH47/Seaport-Airport Route to Try this route.
Amritha,Ponekkara to Muvattupuzha(private stand) is 41.x kms.

Last edited by deepclutch : 14th October 2011 at 21:37.
Old 14th October 2011, 21:35   #2804
BHPian

Hi guys - Really hard to get a good consensus but so many options and opinions - confusing. So let me summarize my understanding on what would be a good solution to my route question and try and ask specific questions .

I'm trying to reach a conclusion on what would be a good route to do Bangalore - Thrissur next week.. If someone can confirm/provide details based on my questions, greatly appreciate:

Q 1) I understand the Mysore - Nilambur - Pattambi route is not advisable due to road conditions and dense traffic, right?

Q 2) NH route (Bangalore - Salem - L&T Bypass is good). Should I go till Palakkad or take a diversion at Coimbatore itself?

Q 3) How is Coimbatore Palakkad road (Walayar)? Ok or avoidable?

Q 4) If Coimbatore - Palakkad is ok, Palakkad Thrissur sounds really bad - what is the diversion/route I should take to reach Thrisur?

Thank you, all.
Old 14th October 2011, 23:13   #2805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogambo View Post
Hi guys - Really hard to get a good consensus but so many options and opinions - confusing. So let me summarize my understanding on what would be a good solution to my route question and try and ask specific questions .

I'm trying to reach a conclusion on what would be a good route to do Bangalore - Thrissur next week.. If someone can confirm/provide details based on my questions, greatly appreciate:

Q 1) I understand the Mysore - Nilambur - Pattambi route is not advisable due to road conditions and dense traffic, right?

Q 2) NH route (Bangalore - Salem - L&T Bypass is good). Should I go till Palakkad or take a diversion at Coimbatore itself?

Q 3) How is Coimbatore Palakkad road (Walayar)? Ok or avoidable?

Q 4) If Coimbatore - Palakkad is ok, Palakkad Thrissur sounds really bad - what is the diversion/route I should take to reach Thrisur?

Thank you, all.
I do Hyd-Blr-Thrissur all the time and I have tried almost all the routes into Thrissur.My reccomendation would be:

Blr-Salem-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Ottapalam-Shoranur-Wadakancheri-Kumbalangad-Kurancheri-Join Thrissur road-Athani-Thrissur.This should see you cover the distance in 9hours with ample stops and breaks.Other routes are all time consuming ones.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks